Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The long awaited Christmas

The long awaited Christmas

Many of you know that I have been stressing for close to 11 months about giving my husband Dave the funds to restore his 1979 Trans Am for Christmas this year. Video below. Sorry it's almost 15 minutes long, but there was no way I was going to edit. This was his moment and I let him take all the time he needed to count.

Besides, the sideways looks he gives me throughout this entire thing are totally priceless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njib_MDFEKg
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

WOW.
    I have been thinking about this and hopeful it worked out for you.
    Thank you for sharing!!!
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I'm so happy for both of you that you were able to pull it off and have the moment you dreamed of making his dream come true. Look forward to seeing the video of the restored Trans Am.

That was awesome! I loved how slow and methodical he was about it, and how as he got higher and higher up in the counts, the stunned expression slowly starts turning into a smile.

Congratulations on pulling it off, and of making his dream come true---as he said so well, you really are a Jewel!

Best lunch break in a while!

Jewel, you ARE a jewel! How blessed and excited he must have felt!
    Happy New Year!
    Joyce
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

That was fantastic - thanks for sharing. Glad you were able to pull it off without a hitch.

Thanks everyone... my father was the one that chimed in and said I'd lived up to my nickname. Dave just echoed him. Mom totally forgot that her voice was going to be picked up by the video camera when she was holding it, so you hear her quite a bit as well, but I don't care. It's perfect.

Dave had to add those photos at the beginning, as well as the soundtrack. The first photo is his car in it's current state, then it fades into the card he opened showing hopefully what the restored car will look like.

What we didn't get on tape was my mother saying "So Dave....your wife can drive that car anytime she wants to, right......?"

O M Gosh, I cried! The look/s on Dave's face are priceless! I had also been wondering how it went.

What a gift of true love.

Priceless!!
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

That is awesome!!! Thanks for sharing
    Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

I cried, too! I loved at the beginning when he was turning the bills to face all the same way. I wanted to shout "hurry up!!". You are awesome, Jewel!

Quote Originally Posted by cocoa'smom View Post
    I cried, too! I loved at the beginning when he was turning the bills to face all the same way. I wanted to shout "hurry up!!". You are awesome, Jewel!
    A friend of his said the same thing, that "all the heads didn't need to be lined up perfectly, damm it, just COUNT!" but he said later that he was in such shock that he didn't realize what he was doing. Every time he got to another $1000 and he had so many MORE hundreds in his hand that he just couldn't believe how much was actually there.

Incidentally, my dad apologized to me. He's been telling me for months that a cashier's check for $15,000 would get the same reaction. I told him no way, that I knew my husband, and a cashier's check would give him one big gasp but that cash would keep us entertained for five minutes. More like 10 minutes, but it was still way more powerful. Dad said "You were right... it was worth all the trouble to get the cash".

I think my favorite moment was "I feel like Mr. Drysdale..." Totally Dave to put in a Beverly Hillbillies reference.

Thanks for sharing this sweet, special moment with us. Beautiful.
    Okay...it's time to pull up your big-girl panties and get on with it. (Seen on a bathroom wall.)

Visit my blogs: Cooking the Books

For recipes only, visit the companion blog: Cooked Up.

Sooooo sweet! Amazing!!!!!

Add me to the list of sniffers.... Well done, Jewel, woot, woot, woot! The look on Dave's face when he asks, "Should I go look in the driveway?!" Priceless! I think he thought he was being "Overhauled" ( one of my DH's fave shows) or getting a Lexus! So glad all your intricate planning worked out, what an amazing Christmas gift. Thanks so much for the update and for sharing. Can't wait to see the "overhaul!"

I kept waiting and waiting for Dave to get up and hug you--I was gonna scream if you didn't appear on camera. And NOW I have a gorgeous face to keep in my head when I channel Jewel as I make Pumpkin bars, cheesy chicken chowder, better-than-sex ice cream, garlicky green beans, and garlic harvest soup (DH calls it "Jewel's vampire-be-gone soup", for reals). All these many, many years, I had you pictured as a short-haired blonde with glasses!!!
    I'm a Tar Heel born, I'm a Tar Heel bred.....

What fun to watch when you knew it was a happy ending. You really do love that man!!!!! Happiness to both of you. Great memories that you will enjoy forever.
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by Joanie B View Post
    I kept waiting and waiting for Dave to get up and hug you--I was gonna scream if you didn't appear on camera. And NOW I have a gorgeous face to keep in my head when I channel Jewel as I make Pumpkin bars, cheesy chicken chowder, better-than-sex ice cream, garlicky green beans, and garlic harvest soup (DH calls it "Jewel's vampire-be-gone soup", for reals). All these many, many years, I had you pictured as a short-haired blonde with glasses!!!
    Joanie, now it's my turn to sniff! Thank you! Although you had me spitting my water with the short-haired blonde with glasses line... more like a medium-length brunette chubster that's had Lasik. The good news is that even six months away from 50 years old my man still thinks I'm hot... and jeez won't I look hot driving that 32 year old Trans Am this summer??

Aw, thanks so much for sharing. I am crying like a baby--big, doofy, happy tears! What a lovely (and loving!) thing you did. Sigh. I can't wait for the day I can gift my hubby the sauna of his dreams!

And you will both look totally boss speeding that righteous car down the road! It is soooo choice!
    As the arc of history bends towards justice, it's a new, more progressive day. --Steve Benen, The Maddow Blog, 11-07-12

What a stupendous achievement, Jewel! Your love for each other really shines out of that video. Thank you so much for sharing it!

I loved him turning the bills around -- he really must be detail oriented!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    Incidentally, my dad apologized to me. He's been telling me for months that a cashier's check for $15,000 would get the same reaction. I told him no way, that I knew my husband, and a cashier's check would give him one big gasp but that cash would keep us entertained for five minutes. More like 10 minutes, but it was still way more powerful. Dad said "You were right... it was worth all the trouble to get the cash".
    I think some clbbers expressed the same thing when you posted about planning this. So glad you stuck to your vision - it was awesome!!

Thanks for sharing.
    Barbara

Nutella is love! - 9yr old ds

Add me to the crying group. That was wonderful.
    Carlin

Jewel,
    Your gift, and the execution, was absolutely awesome and YOU are absolutely awesome! Thanks for sharing a very special gift of love.

YES!!! So happy that you posted the video and let us share in your amazing gift! I can't believe how calm you were, I was sitting here clapping my hands and bouncing in my chair.

Quote Originally Posted by newtricks View Post
    I think some clbbers expressed the same thing when you posted about planning this. So glad you stuck to your vision - it was awesome!!
    I confess, I was one of those, but I was wrong! I'm thrillled it all worked out in the end. Thanks for sharing your moment!

Yup, you got me too!!! What a beautiful, thoughtful gift and such great planning on how to give it!!!

Nice to see things like this.

Thanks so much for posting.... I now need to dry my eyes and stop procrastinating on my workout, but I'd say it was well worth it to see that!!!

Michelle
    Laugh when you can!!!

I am drying my tears as I type. What a wonderful gift and what a wonderful love you have. Thanks for sharing.

BUMP

Jewel, I saw your name on another post and thought back to this thread. Just wondering if your DH started the restoration process with the car. I still love how you were able to pull the gift off!

I wondered why this was back top. It would be great to hear how things have been going. Hope you two have been having fun with the project

I remember your post about how to get the $ to where you were spending Christmas, but I hadn't seen the video. Loved it! What a special connection you have with your husband. It was very touching to watch. I am now joining the others wondering how the car is coming along.
    "Auntie, you are a good cooker." ~ My nephew, age 5

Wow, I was suprised to see this thread too! Thanks for thinking of us!

Dave has been researching since January and has finally selected a rebuild shop. He spent the spring and summer doing the brakes himself along with a few other things and has even taken it out a few times. In fact, that's why he didn't hand the car over to a rebuild shop before now, he said he wanted to take the car for a few drives over the summer! He has gotten quite the reaction so far. You don't see TransAm's out here! Lots of Mustangs, a few 70's muscle cars, but we rarely see a TA. He was the first car at a red light in Seattle, cop was standing there directing gameday traffic. The guy looked straight at Dave and said "Light 'em up..."

He's out of town on business for a month, he should be back mid November. When he gets back he will take the car to the rebuild shop. Engine should take about 6 weeks, then this shop has lots of good contacts for exterior and interior. If all goes according to plan he should have it finished by spring! Took this photo of him on the first day the car had been out of the garage in 14 years. This is one very happy man.... which was basically the whole idea in the first place!

Great photo and thanks for the update Jewel.