Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Recipe Counts for 2011?

New Recipe Counts for 2011?

I didn't see this thread anywhere over the last week or so…

Well I added up and the number came in at a rather low 66 new recipes for the year. Having said that however, I do need to take into account that we did a kitchen reno and I was about four months with no kitchen. I'm thinking I might have hit at least 100 if I had those extra four months!

Anyone else keep count in 2011?
    Sarah

I got up to 58 and stopped tracking in July (I start tracking every year and never manage to keep it up!). Not too bad, given a very busy year. I'm leaving it off my goal list for this year, but I'll probably still keep an eye on it. Three already this week.

At some point in time I used to shoot for 200. This year I came in right under 70. I think I'm repeating more recipes these days and doing more simple sides instead of cooking multiple different recipes at the same time.

I have only kept track every month for the last 2 years. Before that I would have to count each recipe in the whole year.

In 2010, I tried 70 new recipes. In 2011, I tried 89.

This was my best year yet, since I started keeping track in 2007 - I made 175 new recipes! I was pretty excited that I tried so many new things this year and am looking forward to this year.
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!
    http://massachuseats.com/

I made 149 new recipes this year. It was a little less than last year, which didn't surprise me--we did more traveling and were just busier in general this year. Looking forward to trying lots of new ones again this year! Luckily, my husband and kids are willing and eager guinea pigs.
    Alicia

This year I'd like to hit 100. That would be a lot I think given my schedule, commute, etc. And it would be roughly a 33% increase over this year!
    Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by foodie18 View Post
    This year I'd like to hit 100. That would be a lot I think given my schedule, commute, etc. And it would be roughly a 33% increase over this year!
    Well, one a week for the game and you are over the half way mark of your goal.

37 definitely. I did make more than that, but I don't know how many- I have a page in my recipe review notebook with no date on top, another page with "McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook Only" recipes with no dates, and later in the year I started just writing in my cookbooks that I made the recipe.

This year I'm going to keep jotting in my cookbooks that I made a recipe and keep a numerical tally of them on a separate piece of paper. I'm not going to record reviews anymore because I'm just too lazy. (Except for Cooking Game of the Week, of Course )

I figure the max I would be able to make would be around 183 because we usually end up with leftovers, so I'd only be able to cook every other day. It's a goal to shoot for though
    www.drmcdougall.com <----great advice and low-fat recipes!

Quote Originally Posted by Slowcooker View Post
    37 definitely. I did make more than that, but I don't know how many- I have a page in my recipe review notebook with no date on top, another page with "McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook Only" recipes with no dates, and later in the year I started just writing in my cookbooks that I made the recipe.

This year I'm going to keep jotting in my cookbooks that I made a recipe and keep a numerical tally of them on a separate piece of paper. I'm not going to record reviews anymore because I'm just too lazy. (Except for Cooking Game of the Week, of Course )
    FWIW - I buy one of those "Weekly Calendar at a Glance" and leave it in the kitchen on the lazy susan. Then each night I write down what we had for dinner. If the recipe is new, I mark it with N. If I want to make it again I mark with a *. I also note who (if anyone) we had for dinner and where the recipe came from.

What I have not done, but am thinking of doing, is looking back over the last few years and making a master list of new recipes made, so I don't have to always flip through the calendars when the year is past!
    Sarah

That sounds like a good idea- I can do that right while I'm in the kitchen!
    www.drmcdougall.com <----great advice and low-fat recipes!

73 new recipes for me in 2011. I think that's my lowest in the last 5 years or so. I've made 5 new recipes this week so I'm off to a better start in 2012!!
    Read and Feed!!!

45 new ones for me. It wasn't a big year for cooking.

My resolution for 2012 is just to cook more, not necessarily more new recipes.

(Although, it's the new ones that are fun!)

Not my best year, but not my worst either! I went back to the basics for a lot of meals this year: meat, veggie, maybe a starch; or homemade pizza with the usual toppings; pasta salads in the summer time; etc.

I'm aiming for over 100 new recipes in 2012.

2011 - 95
    2010 – 82
    2009 - 92
    2008 - 129
    2007 - 120
    2006 - 103
    2005 - 137
    2004 - 143
    2003 - 154
    Blogging it! A healthy serving of books, a dash of food, a splash of knitting, all topped off with the occasional trip. Serving recipe reviews on Mondays, book reviews on Thursdays.

Scifi with a Dash of Paprika

2011 was my first year keeping up with new recipes, and my first year of actually making a point to try more. I ended with 159.

What is hardest for me is keeping up with the recipes I want to TRY. I haven't found a good system - If online I usually book mark them, but that leaves me with recipes on my home and work computer. I've created a google document that I can access from any internet connection that I'm trying to add the "To try" to. I have over 80 listed on there currently.

Hi Shugness, This would be a good week to play the Cooking Game. One of the categories is your To-Try folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Shugness View Post
    What is hardest for me is keeping up with the recipes I want to TRY. I haven't found a good system - If online I usually book mark them, but that leaves me with recipes on my home and work computer. I've created a google document that I can access from any internet connection that I'm trying to add the "To try" to. I have over 80 listed on there currently.
    Ditto. Some are online, some are marked in the cookbook/magazine, some printed from CLBB, etc. Too many recipes, not enough time!
    Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by foodie18 View Post
    Ditto. Some are online, some are marked in the cookbook/magazine, some printed from CLBB, etc. Too many recipes, not enough time!
    Oh so true, so true. I so often wish I had the money to hire someone to come over and I could hand them a bunch of recipes and say make this for me please. Basically, I guess that is what we are all doing here for each other. Trying out all of these recipes and weeding out the stinkers and saving us time for the good ones. Well, thank you everyone

p.s. I hope you ARE telling us which ones are the STINKERS.

Bumping up as a reminder for ALL OF US

How is everyone doing? I know I have to up the anti. This coming January, let's see if we can't up the numbers from last year. OK?

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell18 View Post
    This was my best year yet, since I started keeping track in 2007 - I made 175 new recipes! I was pretty excited that I tried so many new things this year and am looking forward to this year.
    In the midnight hour, she cried more, more , more!

I respect all of you surging ahead , trying all new recipes. That is what makes this board exciting.

In an empty nest, I don't need the feed that need, but remember when I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by margeslp View Post
    In the midnight hour, she cried more, more , more!
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!

Well I am woefully behind. I have done very little cooking so far this year. I started off with a bang, but the last two months or so have been nuts with work, etc. and have left little time for cooking. I hope to make up for it over the summer! (I am easily way less than 50 recipes I think...haven't actually counted yet.)
    Sarah

OK the weekend is coming up real soon. Let's try to encourage each other to get out there and try some of those recipes that have been waiting for us to discover them. Something new and delicious and HEALTHY

Our family and friends will thank us for it.

You with me? At least just one if that is all you can manage right now.

GO TEAM GO !!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL - I'm out of town for four days this weekend!

Ironically, I was just looking at my numbers, and I'm ahead of where I was last year. Woot! I've been pretty consistant making at least two new dishes a week.

Downside is summer's not that far off and sometimes it's easier to just toss hunk-o-meat on the BBQ and make a side salad.

I think I'll try and concentrate on lunches this year; things like chicken salads, pasta salads, etc. Sandwiches get borning!
    Blogging it! A healthy serving of books, a dash of food, a splash of knitting, all topped off with the occasional trip. Serving recipe reviews on Mondays, book reviews on Thursdays.

Scifi with a Dash of Paprika

I don't get this concept at all.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy hedonist View Post
    I don't get this concept at all.
    Hi Mari, do you mean my posts? I and some others here are in a cooking slump and I was trying to cheer us on. Thats all

Quote Originally Posted by Varaile View Post
    LOL - I'm out of town for four days this weekend!

Ironically, I was just looking at my numbers, and I'm ahead of where I was last year. Woot! I've been pretty consistant making at least two new dishes a week.

Downside is summer's not that far off and sometimes it's easier to just toss hunk-o-meat on the BBQ and make a side salad.

I think I'll try and concentrate on lunches this year; things like chicken salads, pasta salads, etc. Sandwiches get borning!
    I"m game for a new "What's for Lunch" thread. I am always looking for new/healthy things to bring for lunch (and I have a slew of grains in the pantry just waiting to be used…)

Anyone in?

ps - I did make Chocolate and salted caramel cupcakes today. Yum!
    Last edited by foodie18; 05-06-2012 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Adding
    Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    Hi Mari, do you mean my posts? I and some others here are in a cooking slump and I was trying to cheer us on. Thats all
    No, I mean the point of making as many new recipes as possible and, well, keeping track of it. No offense meant, I just don't get why. Specific challenges, yeah, but not just how many new per year-- it's a little baffling.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy hedonist View Post
    No, I mean the point of making as many new recipes as possible and, well, keeping track of it. No offense meant, I just don't get why. Specific challenges, yeah, but not just how many new per year-- it's a little baffling.
    Hi Mari

Speaking for myself, it's just an incentive to try new recipes. I personally like to keep track of what I make so I don't repeat. There are so many others that I want to try. And anyway, it's FUN. When did we ever need a reason to do anything here

As a crazy list maker for everything, I like tracking what recipes I have made so I don't repeat them (unless I want to, that is), like cookieee said. And the tallying sort of pushes me to actually try some of the recipes outta my enormous to try folders!