Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's cooking? Weekend of 1/6/12

What's cooking? Weekend of 1/6/12

Now that the holidays are in the rear view mirror (and suddenly seem long ago - to me, anyhow).

I'm making Tyler Florence's sesame noodles tonight for a potluck tomorrow, and am thinking of a lamb stew with harissa tomorrow night.

Hope to get to the farmers' market in the morning and buy the makings of a great green salad. Must be all the the holiday indulging that is nudging me that way!
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

My Holidays aren't quite in the rear-view mirror yet! Youngest BIL and GF coming to visit tomorrow and exchange gifts; Meatballs and Sausages were requested so I've got those ready to go into the slow cooker with sauce tomorrow AM.

I love these threads. Keeping it simple this weekend - onion soup tonight, homemade pizza tomorrow. Perhaps a wee bit of baking - I ought to practice DS's birthday cake, if I have time.

last night I made a new wing recipe from Mad Hungry. They were baked and with sesame seeds. Good and crispy. Tonight to a friends house, and tomorrow I'd like to make some French onion soup and Ina's roasted chicken on croutons.

Our Christmas Eve dinner was canceled because I was sick, so tonight I'm making ham and a corn casserole. It will be our taking down the tree dinner. At some point over the weekend, I'm going to roast a chicken to be used as the base for dinner(s) this week. Sunday is pizza night.
    ______

Elizabeth

Walking Towards Wellness, my personal challenge to walk 10,000 steps per day in 2014 while living with and managing a chronic illness. Walk with me.

Tonight I'll be making jalapeno popper panini and serving with tomato soup (might make my own, but might use canned, not sure). Last year I had a winter's worth of homemade tomato soup stored in the freezer but didn't have a garden this year and so, no soup. I miss that!

Tomorrow I was thinking of making soup, but I have some leftover spinach that needs to be used up, so now I'm thinking maybe palak dal.

I have some buttermilk I need to use, so maybe I'll haul out the bread maker tomorrow and give something a try.

Last night was the Bacon & Butternut Squash Pasta from CL 1/12. Eh - too much effort for the outcome.

Tonight I'm making the Roasted Root Vegetables from CL 1/12. Instead of the plain chicken suggested in the recipe, I'm going to coat with panko/italian seasoning and then bake.

Sunday will be the Chicken Spaghetti from CL 1/12 - hoping my fiance's children will like it (they may have to pick out the mushrooms)

Last years resolution was to try as many new recipes as I could. I ended with 159. This years resolution is the same, but to incorporate more seafood, vegetables and fruit into my menus, as well as just try more things I've never tried before.

Having said that, I found a food blog last week that was right up my alley (onelovelylife.com) and for tonights dinner will be cooking the Honey Lime Tilapia recipe she has on there, with the Roast Cauliflower and the Sweet Glazed Carrots.

And since I have absolutely nothing to do this weekend, I decided to go ahead and make several things to freeze for later meals to take for lunch or have weeknight dinners. To start with, Boston Butt Pork Roasts were on sale so I'm going to use both of those to make The Pioneer Womans Spicy Dr. Pepper Shredded Pork , which I've made before and know it freezes well, so I'll put the pork in the freezer to use for future weeknight meals. We like to make tacos/burritos with the pork. Very tender and flavorful. I'm also going to make the Chorizo and White Bean Soup on the onelovelylife blog I found (a search for chorizo on Tasty Kitchen lead me there!) - except I'm going to use black beans. And I'm also going to make the Spicy Vegetarian Chili in the latest Food Network Magazine.

For tomorrow nights dinner I'm going to try a recipe I found in a Betty Crocker cookbook I have for Bacon and Swiss Quiche, but will add a cup of cooked shrimp per one of the suggestions.

Weekend cooking/baking plans

Yesterday I saw a recipe for Baked Chili on the KAF blog. Thinking of trying it with some Venison steaks I have in the freezer (I'm in the Pantry / Freezer challenge, too). I noticed that some of the reviewers said they used chicken instead of beef and it was good, so why not venison?

Also making a few loaves of cinnamon bread (have to use up the last of a very large Costco container of cinnamon) to take to the neighbors I didn't see over the holidays.

Juli

I don't have to work this weekend, so I hope to get a lot of cooking done. I'm still trying to figure out what to make though. I am going to start with some pumpkin bread in a few minutes. I also have a ton of fresh basil that needs to be used, so there may be some sort of pesto dish in our near future. Ive also been thinking about making a vegetable curry.

Hey Canice . I am having a girl’s dinner and movie night tonight. We have all read The Help so we have been wanting to watch the movie together (Terry is happy NOT to be included in this activity.) One of my girlfriends is Vegan so I am making her veggie and black bean enchiladas and I will also make chicken enchiladas. I am planning on using Jack Bishop’s Quick Red Chili Sauce recipe posted by zwieback for the enchilada sauce, it’s really good. I am going to make my adaption of CI’s Mexican Rice and make it Vegan by using vegetable broth rather than chicken broth.
    The ham hock I have had in the freezer since Thanksgiving will be used because I plan on trying the Split-pea, Lentils and Barley Soup recipe recently posted by Margeslp.
    Tomorrow I am going to make two batches of meatballs from CL'sGingery Pork Meatballs with Noodles (I use turkey.) http://www.heathersblissfuljourney.b...h-noodles.html I will freeze one batch and we will eat the other with the rest of the recipe on Monday.
    Enjoy your weekend of cooking everyone!

-Heather
    Finally blogging again at http://www.heathersblissfuljourney.blogspot.com/ Updated 1/4/12

Two new dishes for us this weekend

I printed out two recipes yesterday afternoon while reading the BB. Tonight we are having Roast Chicken Breasts with Garbanzo Beans, Tomatoes and Paprika that I found on a four-year-old thread someone bumped up. Tomorrow I'm making Mushroom, Onion and Gruyere Quiche with Oat Crust from the Elie Krieger Comfort Food cookbook thread. Looking forward to trying both!
    "I cook with wine; sometimes I even add it to the food."
    ---W.C.Fields

I'm at my boyfriend's this weekend so I'm not sure what we'll be making for dinners just yet. I am currently going through blueberry waffle recipes so I can use up these blueberries and keep some waffles in the freezer for quick breakfasts!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!
    http://massachuseats.com/

I woke up early and made pomegranite, banana, pistachio bread. I am planning on baking pear bread tonight when I get home from Target (have pears that need to be used up). Michael can take some/all of them with him when he goes back to school tomorrow.

He has also requested Chana Masala and the indian potato recipe I've posted here before, so that will probably be dinner tonight.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Always a fun thread reading what people are cooking, thanks for starting Canice.

I'm making Hamburger Barley Soup from the The Big Book of Soups & Stews by Vollstedt. The recipe was posted way back from Bobmark, with a great review from him.

I am planning on freezing the leftovers (never froze barley in soup before, I'm assuming no prob with that).

Happy cooking!

Canice, every time you say you are going to the farmer's market I just start to salivate. I could go to SF and have my own little "Occupy Ferry Building!"

My BIL is in town so last night for dinner I made "Lamb You Can Eat with a Spoon" out of the French Slow Cooker book my parents bought me for the holidays. However, DH wanted to try the braising technique we saw on ATK last weekend so I used the slow cooker recipe but braised at 325 for a few hours in a Dutch oven. Tasted delicious but a little dry (we purchased a lamb from a local farm this year and have not been super impressed with the meat - it tends to be chewy and sometimes dry) so not sure we needed to braise longer or what. I also made the Sour Cream Coffee Cake with Maple Glaze that was posted on another thread. That was also delicious, though it really didn't need the maple glaze.

I just finished a nice lunch of Bread Salad with Cherries, Arugula and Goat CHeese, along with Butternut Squash Soup with Cider, Pear and Vanilla Bean. Both were delicious.

I think we're taking BIL out to dinner tonight, so that's probably it for me for the weekend, unless I make the apple waffle something or other I saw in a Yankee Magazine compilation for breakfast tomorrow.
    Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by applecrisp View Post
    Always a fun thread reading what people are cooking, thanks for starting Canice.

I'm making Hamburger Barley Soup from the The Big Book of Soups & Stews by Vollstedt. The recipe was posted way back from Bobmark, with a great review from him.

I am planning on freezing the leftovers (never froze barley in soup before, I'm assuming no prob with that).

Happy cooking!
    Applecrisp - I have frozen barley soups in the past without issue. Sometimes they are a bit thicker after they've been frozen but otherwise no issues.
    Sarah

I picked up a lovely piece of Ahi tuna at the Farmer's Market today so I have to figure out what to do with it for tonight's dinner. Tomorrow I'm making Stuffed Cabbage Casserole that I saw on Punchfork and maybe the Slow-Cooker Thai Chicken that's been posted on this board several times. I like to cook up a couple of casseroles or soups on the weekend so I don't have to do much throughout the week since I don't get home until close to 8:00pm.

I'm making my "author" recipe from our Cooking Game tonight: Nava Atlas's Greens with Pinto Beans. (See the Game #31 thread for the recipe.)

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Made pizza last night, and tonight is the Potato-Kielbasa Skillet with an apple salad, maybe with oranges as well. I made this once before, and was impressed with the ease and the taste!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Guests for dinner tonight. I'm making Anne Burrell's Chicken Roulades Stuffed with Chorizo and Manchego, Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Roasted Potatoes, Mini Orange-Scented Cheesecakes with Almond Crusts. Our guests are bringing stuffed mushrooms. I better get going, they wiill be here in 2 hours!

I'm using chorizo that a friend and I made in October.

Tomorrow I am making a roasted chicken dinner to bring to a friend whose 19 yr son has been in the hospital. Roasted Potatoes and Carrots.

For us, I think I am making Dill Meatballs. And maybe some ground turkey breakfast sausage.

I'm going to a farmers market tomorrow, but I'm still jealous of Canice's CA farmers markets.
    my personal chef service: Anastasia's Table Personal Chef Service

Heather, I was reading your post thinking Minny's Chocolate Pie Have fun watching the movie!

Used up some holiday leftovers yesterday. Defrosted a few slices honey-baked ham and made Sweet Potato, Ham and Goat Cheese Salad (FC). It was wonderful ETA: Recipe lists 6 T EVOO for dressing Not in my kitchen! Used 2 T and cut down proportionally on other ingredients.

Today lunch at steak-house (surrounded by happy Razorback fans). Dinner will be something very light.

Quote Originally Posted by JackieO View Post
    Tonight we are having Roast Chicken Breasts with Garbanzo Beans, Tomatoes and Paprika
    That's on our menu for tomorrow!
    Last edited by swedish cook; 01-07-2012 at 02:48 PM.
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam

Quote Originally Posted by PattiA View Post
    Guests for dinner tonight. I'm making Anne Burrell's Chicken Roulades Stuffed with Chorizo and Manchego, Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Roasted Potatoes, Mini Orange-Scented Cheesecakes with Almond Crusts. Our guests are bringing stuffed mushrooms. I better get going, they wiill be here in 2 hours!
    Patti, have you cooked very many Ann Burrell recipes? I've gotten curious about her cookbook after watching The Next Iron Chef (blaming my mom for getting me hooked on that one!), but I'm wary of celebrity chef cookbooks in general. Would you recommend her recipes?

Amy

Nothing too exciting in my kitchen this weekend but it will be a quiet and relaxing one as all of my kids and the DH are away! A batch of bran muffins and cookies today as well as some beans and hominy to freeze for future use since the freezer bean bank is getting critically low. Tomorrow I may make a batch of bagels and whatever else I am in the mood for at the moment. Dinner when everyone gets home will be homemade pizza, that is, if they are even hungry!! (I know they are planning a big brunch). And next week is mostly leftovers or freezer meals since we have painters coming to do some of the house so I guess I am set.

Karen

Foodie18 -- good to hear that you have frozen soup with barley before. I am hoping to stock my freezer with a couple of containers of soup and chili.

And, that Butternut Squash soup sounds great. I've made a EW recipe for Roasted Pear-Butternut Soup with Crumbled Stilton that I like (and beyond super simple to make). Off to do a search.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LakeMartinGal View Post
    Made pizza last night, and tonight is the Potato-Kielbasa Skillet with an apple salad, maybe with oranges as well. I made this once before, and was impressed with the ease and the taste!
    I noticed a bunch of curly kale in the fridge this afternoon and so paid a visit to the Polish deli/sausage shop and picked up a nice summer sausage. Cooking up some white beans and will make something hearty and delicious - even though it was like summer today, and feels more like tomatoes and corn than kale and kielbasa!
    I also stopped by the Asian supermarket for pantry stuff and got some tiny bok choi and fresh noodles and frozen dumplings, so I guess I'll have the Asian version tomorrow
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Amy, this was the first time I've used an Anne Burrell recipe. I found and bookmarked it a while ago when searching for chorizo recipes. It wasn't the best written recipe. I was surprised that she suggested tasting the stuffing mixture after you added in the egg. And it called for putting 1/2" of oil in the pan for browning the roulades. YIKES! I rarely follow any recipe precisely so I'm mostly looking for good ideas. I'd check the library to see if you can borrow her book before buying it.

Here's the recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html) I didn't add breadcrumbs to the stuffing, and I didn't bread the roulades before browning them. I wish I had used sherry instead of sherry vinegar in the sauce. I like vinegar, but 1/4 cup sherry vinegar was about 3 tablespoons too much. I had to add honey to cut the sharpness of the sauce.
    my personal chef service: Anastasia's Table Personal Chef Service

black bean enchiladas- and dh asked me to leave the cheese out of his too!!!!!!!!!! yay!! a tried and true- and the black bean filling is so flavorful that i think the cheese would make it bland-

posole nuevo- new recipe to try
    Cheryl

Quote Originally Posted by applecrisp View Post

Happy cooking!
    Love that soup! So good. I need to dig out the recipe again.

I froze portions of that before, so that I could take the leftovers for lunch. I don't remember there being a problem.
    ______

Elizabeth

Walking Towards Wellness, my personal challenge to walk 10,000 steps per day in 2014 while living with and managing a chronic illness. Walk with me.

Quote Originally Posted by swedish cook View Post
    Heather, I was reading your post thinking Minny's Chocolate Pie Have fun watching the movie!
    Ha! My friend brought over a dark chocolate torte for dessert! She said it had nothing to do with the movie, but I am not sure if I believe her .

Quote Originally Posted by Angelsfan View Post
    I am planning on using Jack Bishop’s Quick Red Chili Sauce recipe posted by zwieback for the enchilada sauce, it’s really good. I am going to make my adaption of CI’s Mexican Rice and make it Vegan by using vegetable broth rather than chicken broth.
    The ham hock I have had in the freezer since Thanksgiving will be used because I plan on trying the Split-pea, Lentils and Barley Soup recipe recently posted by Margeslp.
    We had a really excellent time last night. The enchilada sauce was good, but not as good as usual...I will have to figure out how to improve it. The Mexican Rice tasted exactly the same with the vegetable broth, the true test will be when Terry tastes it later today.

The soup tasted awesome when I sampled it yesterday, after adding salt and pepper. I am excited to eat it today and bring it to school for lunches. It seems really filling.

Quote Originally Posted by cherylopal View Post
    the black bean filling is so flavorful that i think the cheese would make it bland-
    Would you mind sharing the black bean recipe? I served some black beans along side of our enchiladas last night. I used a recipe I found online and they were very average. I would love a T&T!

Thanks!

-Heather
    Finally blogging again at http://www.heathersblissfuljourney.blogspot.com/ Updated 1/4/12