Community Message Boards

Thread: FYI -- Zappos hit by a cyber attack.

FYI -- Zappos hit by a cyber attack.

FYI --- Zappos hit by a cyber attack. Here's just a bit from Forbes.com...... The article recommended that you change other accounts that have the same or similar password. I didn't hear about this on the news, and only learned about it when someone mentioned it to me.

Zappos, the Amazon-owned e-commerce firm has revealed that it was the target of a cyber attack that gained access to its internal network, including the accounts of 24 million of its users. Though the company says that no complete credit card numbers were revealed in the breach, the intruders may have accessed customers’ names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, addresses, the last four digits of their credit card numbers, and encrypted passwords. Zappos says it’s taken the precaution of resetting the passwords of all its customers and directing them to set a new password upon visiting the site.

I got an email about it last night. PITA to change all the passwords! USA Today praised Zappo's for their transparency and prompt attention to this. I'm glad they did, I think my passwords were too easy!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I got the e-mail from them too. But I think I've only ordered from them once, and it's been so long ago that I don't remember what the password was. Definitely a PITA!
    "Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you."
    ~Tommy Smothers

Uh, oh. I haven't been notified and I've ordered 3 -4 times per year for at least a couple of years. I have a box in my closet waiting for me to print a return label!!! DH just spent weeks restoring one of our PCs after it caught a trojan virus. I've had it with ugly computer stuff!!!
    Stacy

Quote Originally Posted by ___Rhianna___ View Post
    I got the e-mail from them too. But I think I've only ordered from them once, and it's been so long ago that I don't remember what the password was. Definitely a PITA!
    I think I ordered from them only once -- and it was several years ago. I have not heard from them and wonder if I need to change passwords on other things. I would not remember what password I used then, so I'd have to change them all.

I didn't notice an email from them either. Perhaps I overlooked, or maybe I wasn't part of the hack.

I did give them a call, and no surprise, they couldn't take the call, they must have been flooded with calls. They didn't mention on their recorded message the "issue", or on their website. But I could see how on one hand, they wouldn't want to scream it from the roof tops, but I could see the benefit of "communication" and transparency.

Just tells you, a site that must have the tops in security, pretty much any site can be hacked.

I really do need to find a better more consistent way when picking passwords, my problem is that I wasn't always consistent, so don't always know if it was random or the old way, or my new way that is muck easier to remember. At least I don't use 1234 or the word "password" It just tricks me up when some say it must be say 8 characters, has to have a character, or can't have a character etc. I did change the passwords from the sites I buy from most often.
    Last edited by applecrisp; 01-17-2012 at 09:30 PM.

I checked my spam folder to see if anything showed up there. Nothing there but an unusual amount of spam activity. Wonder if they could be related.

Yep...I have an email from Zappos. I always order over the phone and not online so I don't think I ever set up a password.
    Adopt a shelter cat!
    www.arascolorado.org

FYI, their sister site, 6pm.com, also had the same issues.
    Cindi in KC

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot (1927-1956)

I order from them all the time and did not get an email (checked my spam as well). I did go in and change my password.

Frustrating.

I think I need to go to one of those password generation systems like 1Pass or KeePass or something.
    ______

Elizabeth

Walking Towards Wellness, my personal challenge to walk 10,000 steps per day in 2014 while living with and managing a chronic illness. Walk with me.