Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paula Deen's diagnosis...?

Paula Deen's diagnosis...?

I am assuming that most of us read or heard about Paula Deen's admission today of being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and her endorsement of a prescription drug to treat it.

http://bites.today.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...nge-how-i-cook

While I don't cook or eat like Paula Deen, heck, I've been a vegetarian most of my life, I did find her entertaining but now I must admit that I am just disgusted.

She was diagnosed three years ago and she could have made such an impact by publicly changing her diet and cooking "southern light & healthy" or some such thing. I am really troubled by her attitude and response and the negative message she is sending.
    Adopt a shelter cat!
    www.arascolorado.org

This opinion piece from Salon states well what I am too tired to convey:
    Paula Deen cashes in on Diabetes
    http://www.salon.com/2012/01/17/paul...n_on_diabetes/
    Last edited by KAnn; 01-18-2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: posting when exhausted!
    Adopt a shelter cat!
    www.arascolorado.org

I have mixed feelings.
    Health issues are a personal thing and simply because she was a celeb chef does not mean her private life requires public display.
    She has also been quoted as stating that no one should eat what she presents on TV 365 days a year.

Since weight and type 2 diabetes typically go hand in hand, I have to wonder who did not presume she had it without stating it out loud.

I feel sad that they are harping on fat being the culprit since there are enough studies that show fat is not the culprit, but that is another thread.
    I wish they focused on exercise and portion control. The fact that she is cashing in on a diabetes drug...well..that is what celeb status allows one to do; the Rx is still up to a doctor and hopefully people go to docs that are up on the good/bad/wise choices diabetics need to make.

Frankly, all this hoopla over her "revealed" diabetes sounds more like a huge publicity stunt.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

foodnetworkhumor.com

Not sure if the link will work, but Food Network Humor is having a field day...
    Sonja in Southern Maryland

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. -Michael Carr

This entire thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The fact that she didn't go public with it until she had a gig to pimp out a diabetes drug just makes it worse for me.

I feel like in the last few years she moved from southern comfort food to "how much butter and deep frying can I include in each recipe" and it was just over the top. Not about taste any longer but the shock factor and encouraging or making it acceptable to eat that type of foods. Plus selling all her products.

I agree that she could have taken this as an opportunity to lighten her food up and educate her viewers. Instead she kept on as if nothing was happening and emerged as a drug spokesperson.

Absolutely agree that she didn't disclose until her business advisors (Bain Consulting perhaps?) had put something into place.

She can try to dance around the issue but for three years she was actively flogging food that caused her disease without any kind of disclaimer. Moderation my eyeball since many of the dishes weren't particularly "company" dishes but were meant to be part of everyday family meals and had gratuitous amounts of fat and sugar used as the primary forms of flavor.

Since she couldn't eat a lot of the stuff - even in moderation - it's really quite deceptive. And moderation is such a ridiculous term to use in terms of what people eat IMO. Does it mean only 10 times a year for your birthday and significant holidays? Does it mean teensy portions that aren't realistic since the preparation method is so inherently caloric and unhealthy.

So now she has a gig with a diabetes company and a website funded by them with "lighter" recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post
    This entire thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The fact that she didn't go public with it until she had a gig to pimp out a diabetes drug just makes it worse for me.
    That's my thoughts exactly. I was honestly indifferent to her before, but this really changes my opinion. I thought Anthony Bourdain was harsh on her a few months ago, but what he's had to say after this is spot on in my opinion - ""Thinking of getting into the leg-breaking business, so I can profitably sell crutches later."

I have never liked Paula Deen and I have even less reason to now. I always thought she reminded me of Miss Piggy and in more than just looks. If she has modified her diet over the last few years she surely could have mentioned it with out the diabetes on her shows. How could anyone fault her for promoting healthier food? But no, she did not do that and hawks yet another product.

Paula Deen contributed this six word memoir to O for appearance in the February 2012 issue - well AFTER the diagnosis and proof that she was still attempting to peddle her "persona" at that point.

"Might as well eat that cookie."

I'm also tired of her hawking stuff. The last thing I want to think about while in bed is Paula Deen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbeaux View Post
    I'm also tired of her hawking stuff. The last thing I want to think about while in bed is Paula Deen.
    There have been a couple times when I've clicked on a recipe of hers only to find it includes at least one spice mix or such that you have to buy from her. Irritating.

Though I have never watched Paula Deene, except on a rare occasion, I can comment on being diagnosed as a diabetic. It took me over a year to just admit that it wasn't a fluke with the testing. the first three months, were exhausting. It is NOT an easy diagnosis to receive. I was majorly depressed, as I felt I had received a death sentence. I didn't tell anyone for over a year because I was so ashamed. I just wasn't thinking straight, that's all, just wasn't thinking straight.

Now, here SHE is, hawking food that is not good for you except when eaten, on occasion and then in moderation. Food that actually was her trademark. She finally decides to come out, will have a story to tell and who knows how many lives will be saved, how many people's eyesight will be saved, legs will not have to be amputated.... No one knows what good will come of this, but I think she is brave for coming out publicly, and if the medication is a good one, more power to this link up. Maybe....Perhaps....this is the medication that she took that helped her get her diabetes in control. Just saying.

I wish her well, as her new lifestyle has to be difficult.
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

Quote Originally Posted by KAnn View Post
    This opinion piece from Slate states well what I am too tired to convey:
    Paula Deen cashes in on Diabetes
    http://www.salon.com/2012/01/17/paul...n_on_diabetes/
    That's Salon, not Slate--and I love MaryElizabeth Williams. And I think her choice of the term "shabby" at best for how PD has handled this is spot on. Sure as a celebrity she's entitled to a private life--but I wouldn't expect a celeb in rehab to continue hawking tequila or vodka, and I feel the same way here. Three years of continuing to flout her high fat-high sugar-no veggies that aren't fried food (and I think her infamous sticking-her-tongue-in-a-chocolate-fountain moment falls in that window too) is just irresponsible and offensive to those who watch her.
    "Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
    Use an egg carton like everyone else and stop being such a poser." - The Little Book of Wrong Shui

Quote Originally Posted by jmarie View Post
    .... I think she is brave for coming out publicly, and if the medication is a good one, more power to this link up.
    IMHO, "coming out'' in this case is more about making millions of dollars than being brave.

IMHO, "coming out'' in this case is more about making millions of dollars than being brave.
    I totally agree. The timing of her *announcement* was carefully calculated so that she could make the rounds of the talk shows and the drug company could maximize exposure for the drug while she touts the drug and the website.

The website which I don't want to link has a splash page touting the benefits of the drug which is a huge money maker for the drug company. It's an extremely expensive non-generic drug - the kind which is generally heavily advertised to consumers by Big Pharma so that consumers will demand the drug.

It's all pretty disgusting to me. Coming out honestly would have been 3 years ago without a deal in place.

I agree, too. If there wasn't a money making opportunity from it I suspect she would have simply lived on without disclosing her diagnoses.

Oct or Nov Paula was in Dr Oz's show. They even "changed" her famous fried chicken to a healthier recipe and he really said she should quit smoking. Michael her DH had but he said it would be hard for him if she continued smoking. I thought the show went well and actually dr Oz was pretty easy going. Not long after my DH & I watched her show she was making with Michael some food to take on their boat. Dh counted they used 5 bars of butter on that ONE meal (lunch).
    I was shocked.
    I do see her and her boys at times and her youngest has changed her recipes to healthier. She does mention "control" on her shows.
    After watching the Dr Oz show I figured she had some medical issues. The way the show ended due to her two new grandbabies it sounded like she was going to make an effort to a healthier lifestyle.
    Her diabetes I think its something really personal but since she is on tv so much and so many watch her shows buy her books and visit her restaurant she could have given the viewers tips on how to lighten or make things healthier.
    Years ago Julia Child used butter and had amazing recipes and "a little bit of butter" went a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
    Years ago Julia Child used butter and had amazing recipes and "a little bit of butter" went a long way.
    Julia Child cooked "real" food - From today's NY Times, their choice of Paula's 3 worst recipes - how can that compare with Julia's roast chicken or Beef Bourguignon.
    Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding

Lady’s Brunch Burger - beef patty is topped with bacon and a fried egg, and then sandwiched between two glazed doughnuts

fried macaroni and cheese, - a square piece of macaroni and cheese is wrapped in bacon, dredged in flour, egg and cracker crumbs, and cooked in peanut oil:
    Last edited by amarante; 01-18-2012 at 11:55 AM.

I'm very tired of the Julia Child used butter and it isn't any different from what Paula Deen does. I've seen that argument on another (non-cooking) message board and it really irritates me.

Julia Child used real ingredients, including butter, in appropriate amounts. She didn't throw tons of butter in just for the sake of being able to.

I think anyone making that argument should have to make a recipe of Julia Child and a recipe from Paula Deen first.

Paula Deen has disgusted me since I first heard her cackle on TV years ago... then I watched her lewdly lick butter off of a Studmuffin's arm on her prime time live show a few years back and I found myself shuddering. People said "Hey, she's a newlywed, don't slam her for having a healthy sex life at her age" and I said I'm not slamming her for it, I just don't want to watch it!

In my opinion, she has never missed an opportunity. It's like she realizes that fame is fleeting and she might only have a limited amount of time in the spotlight so she's gonna milk every bit of exposure that she can while she can. Smithfield Ham, Paula Deen cookware, even her Butter Flavored Lip Balm (urp ) are all ways for her to maximize the revenues while she can. If I didn't feel this way about her before, the fact that she's announcing her diabetes diagnosis and in the same breath announcing herself as spokesperson for this very expensive drug proves it to me.

It's irresponsible for her to continue to cook the same way she did before. She is correct in that she is a cook not a doctor and people make their own decisions, but she has a platform whether she is deserving of that platform or not, and she has the opportunity to publicly change her ways. What is she going to do, detail her deep fried macaroni and cheese recipe and then the commercial after the "when we get back" is her pushing the new medication? Talk about a mixed message! Jeez, Paula, grow up.
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

All the gimmicky stuff aside, this is to me the quintessential Paula Deen moment, and one reason I loathe her: A Lasagna Sandwich

I mean, that's absolutely disgusting. A little lasagna on a small wedge of bread? Delicious. 1/4 of a pan of lasagna on a half loaf of bread? Repulsive. There's NO message here that's anything but FAT-MORE. Yuck. So her message to others facing her diagnosis appears to me to be eat whatever. Unless she is explicit with a reformed eating/cooking plan, there will be those that think they can eat like she cooks with no regard.
    As the arc of history bends towards justice, it's a new, more progressive day. --Steve Benen, The Maddow Blog, 11-07-12

I find these comments fascinating.
    How quickly we blame a TV cook/chef about the meals they prep as if it is their responsibility for what we eat. Yet, we watch dietitians or other chefs like Ellie Kreiger (sp?) and no one screams about the people that refuse to follow their healthy eating.

Just my humble opinion, but we are each responsible for what goes in our mouths.

I akin this to runway models...I cannot look like them nor can I (nor do I want to ) dress in some of those styles. Those are my choices.

TV is entertainment. If you want health advice, see a doctor you trust...and then LISTEN to them!

Sorry for the rant.
    p.s. I am NOT a fan of paula deen as I cannot stomach the whiny voice, licking her fingers on TV, etc....but her disclosure of health issues and her ability to make it lucrative ..well, isn't that why she is on TV, has restaurants, does commercials, etc....?
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Quote Originally Posted by wallycat View Post
    I find these comments fascinating.
    How quickly we blame a TV cook/chef about the meals they prep as if it is their responsibility for what we eat. Yet, we watch dietitians or other chefs like Ellie Kreiger (sp?) and no one screams about the people that refuse to follow their healthy eating.

Just my humble opinion, but we are each responsible for what goes in our mouths.

I akin this to runway models...I cannot look like them nor can I (nor do I want to ) dress in some of those styles. Those are my choices.

TV is entertainment. If you want health advice, see a doctor you trust...and then LISTEN to them!

Sorry for the rant.
    p.s. I am NOT a fan of paula deen as I cannot stomach the whiny voice, licking her fingers on TV, etc....but her disclosure of health issues and her ability to make it lucrative ..well, isn't that why she is on TV, has restaurants, does commercials, etc....?

I could not agree more. Well said.
    - Josie

I think the difference is that PD is using her celebrity to hawk a drug and profit from it. Certainly within her rights, but it IS hypocritical. By promoting a drug treatment for her condition, she is inserting herself into the conversation. If she does not alter how she presents her food and herself along with that, she is being irresponsible. If she wasn't out there working her health condition to her benefit, I wouldn't have a strong opinion about it. But she is, so I do. Unfortunately, by doing so, she is putting herself out there as an example to others with similar health concerns. Should they be taking an example from her. No. But she's positioning herself as a person who is dealing with it "this way." She's using her own story to speak to others to make money, but in a very controversial way. It's gonna ruffle feathers.
    As the arc of history bends towards justice, it's a new, more progressive day. --Steve Benen, The Maddow Blog, 11-07-12

Quote Originally Posted by leebee View Post
    I think the difference is that PD is using her celebrity to hawk a drug and profit from it. Certainly within her rights, but it IS hypocritical. By promoting a drug treatment for her condition, she is inserting herself into the conversation. If she does not alter how she presents her food and herself along with that, she is being irresponsible. If she wasn't out there working her health condition to her benefit, I wouldn't have a strong opinion about it. But she is, so I do. Unfortunately, by doing so, she is putting herself out there as an example to others with similar health concerns. Should they be taking an example from her. No. But she's positioning herself as a person who is dealing with it "this way." She's using her own story to speak to others to make money, but in a very controversial way. It's gonna ruffle feathers.
    Yes. Take away the drug spokesperson thing and my irritation at the entire situation goes away.

Yes. Take away the drug spokesperson thing and my irritation at the entire situation goes away.
    Exactly! But I still hate the lasagna sandwich. <shudder>

So I was forced to go google the lasagne sandwich.

It looks like she put it on garlic bread?

Good grief.

It's a cruel irony that a huge pharmaceutical company pays a celebrity chef millions of dollars to endorse their product at a time when many people have to choose between purchasing food and high-priced prescription drugs.

So I was forced to go google the lasagne sandwich.

It looks like she put it on garlic bread?

Good grief.
    My DH laughs so hard when he describes this episode, which he watched once while looking for the remote , that he actually gets a cardiac workout! Hmmm, maybe she IS a healthy example! There's a link to the episode in my post above.

Leebee, your link didn't work for me so I googled.

It's a cruel irony that a huge pharmaceutical company pays a celebrity chef millions of dollars to endorse their product at a time when many people have to choose between purchasing food and high-priced prescription drugs.
    Yet another very good point about this situation.