Community Message Boards
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paula Deen's diagnosis...?

The endorsement of the drug is the crux of the hypocrisy because obviously she didn't come out until she and her handlers had figured out a way to maximize her ability to profit from the situation.

If she merely continued to make unhealthful recipes that she can't eat, it would merely put her in the category of someone to snark about rather than someone who is repulsive to me.

Her protestations of "privacy" ring false since she agreed to go public when it was most financially beneficial rather than risk a hit to her empire when she had nothing to gain and something to lose.

I am old enough to remember when Betty Ford came clean about her addictions as well as her breast cancer. She had nothing to gain - helped many people with her honesty and in fact helped fund a world class rehab facility.

Well I am not sure which is worse, actually having a disease and "promoting" a drug that "may" work specifically for you--and how very sad for anyone who requires medication and relies on television to diagnose or treat them...it is purely an arsenal in our warfare not a given.
    When my doc wanted to rx something for me, I told her I would get back to her...did my due diligence and emailed her back..NO THANK YOU because too many side effects.

Is it worse to hawk a med when you may not need it?? How many men doing the ED commercials actually have it--senator dole, anyone??

And how many of the Lancome or Dior spokespeople really love or wear those things??
    It is a business. Anyone who has been forced on any required medication knows what a rip off it is but if it can save your life, maybe having a celeb promote it takes the "ick" factor from having the disease.

OK...clearly I am viewing this totally differently because I would never remotely consider heeding the advice of any actor/celeb...not even Dr. Oz
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Quote Originally Posted by amarante View Post
    The endorsement of the drug is the crux of the hypocrisy because obviously she didn't come out until she and her handlers had figured out a way to maximize her ability to profit from the situation.

If she merely continued to make unhealthful recipes that she can't eat, it would merely put her in the category of someone to snark about rather than someone who is repulsive to me.

Her protestations of "privacy" ring false since she agreed to go public when it was most financially beneficial rather than risk a hit to her empire when she had nothing to gain and something to lose.
    Precisely. She went public with her smoking on Dr. Oz just a short time ago but waited for her celebrity pharmaceutical endorsement to be signed and sealed. (Wish i could add more but must leave for work....this just irks me!)
    Adopt a shelter cat!
    www.arascolorado.org

For Paula Deen to continue flogging fattening food and recipes after she's been diagnosed with diabetes is akin to the Marlboro Man (the original one, not PW's husband ) continuing to sell cigarettes after being diagnosed with lung cancer. (He didn't, BTW - he became an advocate for quitting smoking - bet you won't see Paula Deen promoting healthy food anytime soon...)
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

I can see why Paula Deen would go for something like this, since it is probably pretty lucrative for her. but why would the drug company? She's the antithesis ( at least in her public persona) of what is recommended for diabetic care and lifestyle. a BAD example.
    Is she such a bad example of what not to do, thereby making their drug fabulous enough to help... even the likes of her?

I saw a TV promotion for a new program on the food network called "Fat Chefs". showing overweight "food professionals" gorging on rich food etc. good grief, what next....
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie226 View Post
    I

I saw a TV promotion for a new program on the food network called "Fat Chefs". showing overweight "food professionals" gorging on rich food etc. good grief, what next....
    Not that I'll be watching (I really think they should focus of producing quality shows about, perhaps, I don't know (dare I even say healthy) cooking...?) but it is not about them gorging, but losing weight ala The Biggest Loser.
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie226 View Post
    I can see why Paula Deen would go for something like this, since it is probably pretty lucrative for her. but why would the drug company? She's the antithesis ( at least in her public persona) of what is recommended for diabetic care and lifestyle. a BAD example.
    Is she such a bad example of what not to do, thereby making their drug fabulous enough to help... even the likes of her?

Well, I'm thinking that all they want is publicity. And chances are, people who may need that drug just may be watching Paula Deen's shows too

(I saw something about tht Fat CHefs show but I assumed it was a satire, like something in The Onion, I can't believe it's real!)
    Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

Here is the latest update. She is donating some $$ to the American Diabetes Assn, but apparently it's news to them?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46046926.../#.Txd21mCLFGM
    Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

Here is another link. (She has obviously lost some weight.)

http://www.latimes.com/health/booste...,1845398.story
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

Quote Originally Posted by wallycat View Post
    I find these comments fascinating.
    How quickly we blame a TV cook/chef about the meals they prep as if it is their responsibility for what we eat. Yet, we watch dietitians or other chefs like Ellie Kreiger (sp?) and no one screams about the people that refuse to follow their healthy eating.

Just my humble opinion, but we are each responsible for what goes in our mouths.

I akin this to runway models...I cannot look like them nor can I (nor do I want to ) dress in some of those styles. Those are my choices.

TV is entertainment. If you want health advice, see a doctor you trust...and then LISTEN to them!

Sorry for the rant.
    p.s. I am NOT a fan of paula deen as I cannot stomach the whiny voice, licking her fingers on TV, etc....but her disclosure of health issues and her ability to make it lucrative ..well, isn't that why she is on TV, has restaurants, does commercials, etc....?
    Quote Originally Posted by wallycat View Post
    Well I am not sure which is worse, actually having a disease and "promoting" a drug that "may" work specifically for you--and how very sad for anyone who requires medication and relies on television to diagnose or treat them...it is purely an arsenal in our warfare not a given.
    When my doc wanted to rx something for me, I told her I would get back to her...did my due diligence and emailed her back..NO THANK YOU because too many side effects.

Is it worse to hawk a med when you may not need it?? How many men doing the ED commercials actually have it--senator dole, anyone??

And how many of the Lancome or Dior spokespeople really love or wear those things??
    It is a business. Anyone who has been forced on any required medication knows what a rip off it is but if it can save your life, maybe having a celeb promote it takes the "ick" factor from having the disease.

OK...clearly I am viewing this totally differently because I would never remotely consider heeding the advice of any actor/celeb...not even Dr. Oz
    Well put!
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by BucknellAlum View Post
    Here is the latest update. She is donating some $$ to the American Diabetes Assn, but apparently it's news to them?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46046926.../#.Txd21mCLFGM
    It looks like some damage control is happen'in!
    Adopt a shelter cat!
    www.arascolorado.org

When I mentioned Julia Child (I think she was the best) I was not comparing Paula and Julia. I was just saying a little butter goes a long way bringing up that you don't have to use tons of butter to create a meal. I watch Jacques Julia (Weatacreate tv) and all the "old" chefs and I love watching the techniques and how sauces ae made etc.
    Many were trained chefs and started shows before the new cooking shows. I have been subscribed to C Light Eating Well Healthy Cooking and then other magazines (F& Wine, Bon Appetit etc) I just pick or choose the recipes that I like and those too rich I change a bit or make then less often. Due to many of my allergies I cannot really eat many recipes.
    I just read that Paula is donating $ for Diabetic Associaion.
    Today on tv there was a lot of "controversy" over the Deen story etc.
    Actually as I mentioned Bobby is doing a show with his mom's "makeover" recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
    When I mentioned Julia Child (I think she was the best) I was not comparing Paula and Julia. ....
    I hope my post didn't come across as you doing that. I meant on another board I frequent. I think all of us get that Julia Child showed you can use real ingredients, including butter, in ok amounts.

I've been wondering if perhaps the Food Network has had anything to do with the direction of her show. I watched her occasionally years ago and felt that her food was getting progressively worse in regards to fat and sugar content. The Huffington Post commentary about food entertainment makes me wonder if perhaps her contract states what type of food she will make, given that Food Network itself is now in the business of food as entertainment, not cooking or food as nourishment. Certainly, Food Network controls the concepts of everyone's shows, and I've thought for a while now that she's a caricature of herself. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Food Network has a say in the publishing of her cookbooks, thus the content as well.

Quote Originally Posted by daisylover View Post
    I've been wondering if perhaps the Food Network has had anything to do with the direction of her show. I watched her occasionally years ago and felt that her food was getting progressively worse in regards to fat and sugar content. The Huffington Post commentary about food entertainment makes me wonder if perhaps her contract states what type of food she will make, given that Food Network itself is now in the business of food as entertainment, not cooking or food as nourishment. Certainly, Food Network controls the concepts of everyone's shows, and I've thought for a while now that she's a caricature of herself. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Food Network has a say in the publishing of her cookbooks, thus the content as well.
    I imagine it's a collaboration base on what both TFN and Paula Deen know will sell. There's a marketing strategy that essentially is "If s*** sells, sell s***."
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland

Just saw this...."Paula Deen Publicist, Nancy Assuncao Sanchez, Reportedly Quit Over Novo Nordisk Deal"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1227621.html

Obviously the drug company thinks the Deen collaboration will lure consumers as they are paying her $6 million during the 2 year contract.

The drug costs the consumer $6000 per year - a part of which cost is going towards Paula and other "marketing" to increase sales.

And we are paying the price collectively in the form of increased premiums or Medicare taxes.

6 MILLION Now, I don't get THAT!
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

She is nothing but entertainment. If people follow her crazy, outlandish recipes, like the doughnuts and egg, and whatever, then they are to blame. I am an unmedicated diabetic. I can eat whatever I want with moderation. Paula doesn't. Would I make her recipes? NO. They don't appeal to me.

Amarante, where do you get your figures?

Quote Originally Posted by vbak View Post

Amarante, where do you get your figures?
    From the article posted by shugness

UPDATE: It turns out that opinions like Bruni's aren't even the worst news Deen's gotten in recent weeks. The Daily, the publication that originally broke the rumors that Deen was about to announce her diagnosis, last Thursday, is now reporting both that Paula has high blood pressure and that she will make $6 million over two years for her work promoting Victoza.

Quote Originally Posted by mableswift View Post
    Treating patients and employees with the utmost respect and care is another trait that we look for in our Doctors, says Lawrence Austin. It is highly important to MedicusMD says Lawrence Austin that only those Doctors are coveted who have earlier displayed effective equal employment opportunity policies, have built good relations with employees and patients alike and have always done ethical business dealings.
    reported
    "This better be important! Is the frickin' meadow on fire?" -- Charlie the Unicorn

Interesting angle from Tom Colicchio who was on Watch What Happens Live after last night's Top Chef.

Somehow the subject of Paula Deen arose and Tom was asked what he thought of the whole thing. After hemming and hawing - almost as an aside - he said he thought her endorsement of Smithfield was worse and then mentioned the RS expose of their pig pollution plants - boy that surely puts one off ham.

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Fo...ty_Secret.html

I remember at the reunion show following Top Chef All Stars and how Elia had insulted Tom because he endorsed Coca Cola and also insulted the provenance of his meat.

I refuse to buy Smithfield products based on their history of animal cruelty.

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    I refuse to buy Smithfield products based on their history of animal cruelty.
    I wonder how one can tell aside from the obvious like bacon marked "Smithfield". I very rarely eat pork except at a Chinese restaurant but when I was food shopping this morning, I looked at the meat section and the fresh pork products bore no labels. Based on this article, a lot of fresh pork comes from these kinds of awful pig factories.

I spent some time in Virginia in the 1970's and I remember Smithfield hams being served as a great delicacy at cocktail parties - before this guy took over I would suspect because at that time, I met some pig farmers - of course small scale - and they fed their pigs peanuts and corn mash for better taste.