Community Message Boards

Thread: For those with long hair...

For those with long hair...

For the first time in 35 years, I have hair down to the bottom of my shoulder blades. It's great when I want it down, but when I'm cooking or in warm weather, etc., I find I want to pull it up. Unfortunately, pony tails pull and I have a permanent sore spot on my scalp from the big claw clips. Even putting it up in a modified French twist with bobby pins is painful. Is there something simple and obvious that I'm missing, or is this just one of those "deal with it" things?
    Okay...it's time to pull up your big-girl panties and get on with it. (Seen on a bathroom wall.)

Visit my blogs: Cooking the Books

For recipes only, visit the companion blog: Cooked Up.

You might have an unusually delicate scalp as my hair is longer and quite a bit thicker than your hair probably is - I say this because my hair is thicker than anyone else I have ever met

Ponytails don't bother me as that's what I wear 90% of the time. My problem is that the weight of the hair generally pulls them down. I use the no-catch covered elastic from Goody.

I don't need pins to keep my :knot" or twist in place - I can use one of those chop stick type devices or this long clip and it holds well.

One option is those oval things with two holes and you stick a stick through the holes. They are good for low ponies at the nape of the neck and also just for generally cementing your hair in place.

Have you tried braiding it?

What about a headband and a very loose pony-tail.
    If you don't mind the horror factor, you can do what most restaurant workers do and wear a hair net
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I've got very thick hair and I find that I start having issues when my hair gets much past shoulder length. When it hits the shoulder blades, I have to start changing my ways -- to the point I'm just not going there anymore.

I sometimes wear a headband, do the clip or a ponytail, but as my hair gets longer I have to put it lower on my head -- more like the base of my neck so it doesn't hurt my head. The clips become impossible for the mere volume of hair at that point. Braiding is another possibility. You can also try pulling back just the top front and sides into a ponytail or clip. When my hair was very long, I would also do that, sometimes do a second layer at the mid level and then pull it all together in a low ponytail -- it was all back and cooler off my neck, but it distributed the weight and didn't pull on my head so much.

I have the same exact issues. I tend to pull the front back with a barrette and leave the rest hanging.

Could you pull it into a loose braid without the pain of a ponytail?
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

Try wearing the poney tail lower, if your hair is long enough to allow you to. If I put my hair up in a poney tail and have it up "high" it will give me a headache within a few hours and my scalp hurts also. However, if I pull my hair back and have the poney tail meet at the back of my neck it won't bother me. Does that make sense?

If your hair isn't long enough for it all to meet at the bottom of your neck, then I recommend a small claw clip and only putting half your hair up. This is the type of clip I use:

Might I also recommend a good old fashioned ball cap? Put your hair through the back hole, plus the cap will protect your face from sun damage if you're outside.

I switch my pony tail to different parts of my head or go with braid/braids. My curly hair never gets much below the shoulders when dry but is to the middle of my back when wet.
    Anne

Funny I just came back this morning from the Chicago Gift Show where I helped my high school best friend with her first big show. She makes and markets a hair tie that is all soft elastic, doesn't pull at your hair and feels great. The kids also use them as bracelets putting multiple on at a time. I have been wearing them for about a year now to work out and sleep in every night as I can't stand my hair in my face.
    She doesn't have a website yet but you could contact her through Facebook at Jilly Bean Bands. She markets to children, but as an adult I love them and she got a lot of orders from stores that sell to women, too. Look and and see if you are interested or I could send you a few just to see if they might work for you. If you would like, PM me your address and I'll mail them at no charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookin4Love View Post
    I have a permanent sore spot on my scalp from the big claw clips.
    I have found a couple of claw clips that are smoother and don't hurt my head. I even have DH trained to help me shop for them. They tend to be somewhat pricey - $10 and up - but they make a big difference for me.

I can't wear ponytails every day. And while I like my long hair, I just don't like having it down all the time. As other people mentioned, I sometimes just pull the sides and top back. Or just the top, honestly, just to keep the hair out of my eyes. Years ago I purchased a very large barrette (I've not seen one like it in a store in a long time, but perhaps one could be found online). I have really think hair, but amazingly, it all fits in this. So, sometimes I just pull my hair back into a low ponytail at neck level and secure it using the barrette instead of a band of some sort. This is the most comfortable option, I think because the hair distributes through the barrette and there's nothing clipped near my scalp.