Community Message Boards

Thread: Cleaning urine from a feather bed?

Cleaning urine from a feather bed?

My son wet the bed last night. This has not happened in a very very long time. Luckily it only got the feather bed, not the mattress.

I'm going to hang it to dry over the banister with a fan I guess. What do I treat the urine with? I've read vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. Any experience?

Is it still wet? If so, I had good luck sprinkle cornstarch thickly over the area. If not, I would probably treat it with an enzymatic cleaner (the same thing you use for dog urine).

Poor guy. I hope he wasn't upset.
    Claire

It doesn't matter what you think, just that you do.

He was upset. Crying. I think he was embarrassed and scared.

It isn't dry yet but I am going to hang it up and put a fan on it when I finish my coffee.

I really don't like the commercial odor removers - I feel like they always leave an afterscent.

My son still wets his bed. Every night. He still has to wear pull-ups, but once it leaked and got all over the bed. I seem to remember reading to us Borax. Not sure if that is really better than anything else, but maybe something to look into.

We had some "lovely" smells in our powder room after the underground plumbing was repaired -- including some spill from the disconnected vanity plumbing and the bathroom upstairs. I poured hydrogen peroxide on the concrete slab and let it soak in. I think I would try that first and maybe an enzyme cleaner if that doesn't complete the job.

All the enzyme cleaners seem to have a scent of some sort, but there are some that are lighter and fresher smelling than others. I think it is Nature's Miracle that has an orange or citrus version, and that one might be a good option. Whatever you use, you are going to need to saturate the area and get it into the feathers inside or they will hold onto the smell -- then dry it thoroughly and fluff as you go.

Nature's Miracle for pets. I cannot detect much of any odor and
    it cleans up the cat puke wonderfully.
    Peroxide will remove the stain but not the proteins.
    I know feather pillows can be washed...can you just treat with Shout or other precleaner and then toss in the washing machine?

Poor guy. I hope all is well. Maybe a soft waterproof liner till the issue is resolved.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Poor thing. It is so common, but so upsetting for kids. Good luck getting the bed clean.
    Claire

It doesn't matter what you think, just that you do.

I hate Nature's Miracle.

Ok, so I bought a thing of hydrogen peroxide and went to put it on and I can't find the spot! I know where it is - sniffed and sniffed and can't find it. So....?

Guess I just leave it? I have it hanging over a banister with a fan on it to make sure it is dry.

I don't want to randomly dump stuff on it.

I agree about Nature's Miracle. I find the fragrance absolutely nauseating.

Our CAT peed on our feather bed a couple of years ago We ran it under water immediately to rinse out what we could. Then we took it to the cleaners to see what they could do. They refused to "guarantee" their work, but they gave it a try and it came back as good as new.

Good luck.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White