Community Message Boards

Thread: Hot yoga?

Hot yoga?

DOes anyone do yoga in a heated room? I am taking a great beginners Hatha yoga class and I really like the studio. But the regular classes are in a hot room. I did one 60 min class and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I think I would really love the same routine in a regular room, and not have to worry if I was getting too hot etc.

The teachers are really great and help you modify poses and encourage you to drink or stand near the fan if you don't like the heat. A lot of my friends really like the heat, lots of talk of "sweating out the toxins" etc which I think is meaningless or a myth.

The room is only 90 with 40-50% humidity, so not nearly as bad as Bikram. I haven't found another yoga place that I like nearby, so I will stick with it for a bit. But I still feel like it is not the best way to exercise. Anyone have any pros/cons?
    Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

I have never done hot yoga, but have a couple of friends who absolutely love it. It's true that sweating is one of the ways your body gets rid of toxins, along with the kidneys and liver.

My personal belief is you should do whatever exercise in whatever way that you enjoy! If you're uncomfortable working out in such a hot room then find a better way. Some believe it can be unsafe because the heat breeds bacteria and with all that sweating it might not be the cleanest environement.

I was in a yoga class a few years ago that I just loved. The instructor moved away and another took his place...the first day with the new instructor, he shut the door, turned up the heat and plowed ahead without saying a word about the change.

Three of us rolled up our mats and never returned. I don't function well in heat, and was not given the choice. You need to do what feels good for you.
    Sonja in Southern Maryland

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. -Michael Carr

Doing yoga in a warm room can be really nice because you aren't fighting muscles stiff from being cold (I live in Duluth MN, we understand about being cold!)

With that being said, the potential for injury increases because there can be a false sense of flexibility that comes from the heat and not necessarily your muscles, tendons, or facia (the connective tissue). You won't notice the pulled muscle (or worse) until following days.

I also kinda question the whole "sweating out toxin's" sort of thing. Some people sweat more, other's sweat less. Just the way it is.

Myself? I enjoy a warm room for practicing myself (75-90* with air movement, lower humidity). I've been practicing yoga for about 10 yrs now, and leading classes for the past 8.

There is a studio I visit for workshops, where 40 people (or more) are mat-to-mat, all of us moving and breathing, and the instructor refuses to turn on the air circulation or open any doors for a cross breeze. She has been known to lie to guest instructors saying she can't adjust the temp when her own staff will get up and move the thermostat! The room becomes hot, stuffy and stinky, which I think is worse because now I'm breathing in everyone elses carbon dioxide. Bleh...

But to echo shscharles, you need to do what feels good for you.
    Blogging it! A healthy serving of books, a dash of food, a splash of knitting, all topped off with the occasional trip. Serving recipe reviews on Mondays, book reviews on Thursdays.

Scifi with a Dash of Paprika

Have never tried. I can't even watch TV in a warm room
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

HI!

Hot yoga has incredible health benefits so if you can stick it out it is well worth it. I've done Bikram yoga a number of times and finally just gave up because I absolutely hate being hot (totally cold weather girl here), but I can tell you that I know how good it was for me. So with that said, if you can stand it - the hot yoga is a great exercise that I think you'll get a lot out of. And if you are like me and just can't bare it anymore-that is ok too!

This site explains the benefits of each pose:
    http://www.bikramyoganyc.com/health_benefits.htm

This one explains the benefits of the heat:
    http://www.yogaworkouthq.com/health-...f-bikram-yoga/

Though neither of these are journals or .gov's etc... (sorry gotta run so don't have time to find those) I have done a fair amount of "looking into" this type of yoga before I did it (again because I hate being hot so I wanted to know the benefit of me putting myself through this-haha) and these pretty much sum up what I found and heard. I've also seen amazing results with weight loss and people with injuries (which is really why I put myself through it since I do triathlons and run races I knew I need to do something to decrease injuries).

But overall Yoga is just really great to do physically and mentally, so if hot yoga just isn't your thing, no worries l- find another place that offers it in a studio that doesn't have hot yoga or there are some great DVD's- which I resort to sometimes due to time.

Good Luck!!!!
    Laugh when you can!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Varaile View Post
    With that being said, the potential for injury increases because there can be a false sense of flexibility that comes from the heat and not necessarily your muscles, tendons, or facia (the connective tissue). You won't notice the pulled muscle (or worse) until following days.
    I've actually never tried it, but this is what I was going to say. I have a couple of yoga teacher friends who cautioned me about this danger of hot yoga. Maybe it is because they know that I tend to push myself to the limit.

I also know a lot of people who love it and have been perfectly injury free.

I do agree that the heat does help you loosen up your muscles easier and faster, and I have also heard the cautions about over-stretching. I am not too worried about that because i have a pretty good sense of what my body can do, plus the instructors are all over the room making sure people have proper form etc.

I think sweating out toxins is a total myth. I don't even think it is good for you, although it may give you a little more cardio in your practice because of the heat.

http://thedermblog.com/2010/09/13/sw...t-your-toxins/

I really like this studio - great teachers, no judgment, lots of accommodation. I haven't found anything else close without the heat, so I will go a few more times and see how I feel. It just seems funny to me to deliberately exercise in that heat/humidity, when in the summer all the weather forecasters are cautioning against that. (My kids play tennis so I am very mindful of the heat index and how much you can do).
    Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

You all made me curious about the sweat/toxin debate so I did some digging. I had read about this years ago when I was doing research for my brother who has Hep C and has had a liver transplant. So I was looking for lifestyle recommendations for him and had read that sweating was good and would take some of the load off the liver.

In any event, here's an excerpt from a news article that appeared in the LA Times a couple of years ago:

The bottom line: Sweat does contain trace amounts of toxins, says Dr. Dee Anna Glaser, a professor of dermatology at St. Louis University and founding member of the International Hyperhidrosis Society, a medical group dedicated to the study and treatment of heavy sweating.

But, Glaser, adds, in the big picture, sweat has only one function: Cooling you down when you overheat. "Sweating for the sake of sweating has no benefits," she says. "Sweating heavily is not going to release a lot of toxins."

In fact, Glaser says, heavy sweating can impair your body's natural detoxification system. As she explains, the liver and kidneys -- not the sweat glands -- are the organs we count on to filter toxins from our blood. If you don't drink enough water to compensate for a good sweat, dehydration could stress the kidneys and keep them from doing their job. "If you're not careful, heavy sweating can be a bad thing," she says.

Sweating definitely won't help clear the body of mercury or other metals, says Donald Smith, a professor of environmental toxicology at UC Santa Cruz, who studies treatments for metal poisoning. Almost all toxic metals in the body are excreted through urine or feces, he says. And less than 1% are lost through sweat. In other words, you'll do far more detoxifying in the bathroom than you ever could in a sauna.

I go to a yoga class twice a week and love it... but the temp is probably 65. I'm not someone who can exercise in "heat". I don't sweat much ...never have.....and just get hotter and hotter.

I'm happy in cold weather. although I've exercised in hot weather when it was unavoidable I never found it invigorating or that it loosened anything up. it just made me feel exhausted and over heated. I would not want to take a class like that.
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

Great discussion about yoga. i also like yoga meditation

edwardfranklin

Great discussion about yoga
    It was, wasn't it?
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen