Community Message Boards

Thread: Sopa Seca with Beans - Food Network Mag Recipe

Thumbs up Sopa Seca with Beans - Food Network Mag Recipe

Yum, we thought this was excellent! Quick, meatless, weeknight meal, I will definitely make this again! I followed the recipe exactly except honestly, I would leave out the cheese next time, I don't think it's needed at all.

Sopa Seca With Beans

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
    1 poblano chile pepper, seeded and sliced
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
    8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti, broken into thirds
    1 14-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
    2 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
    1 14-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    1 bunch cilantro, leaves chopped (about 1/2 loosely packed cup)
    2 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and poblano and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly soft, about 3 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook 2 more minutes. Add the uncooked spaghetti and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly toasted, about 5 minutes.

Add the tomatoes and simmer until some of the liquid is absorbed, about 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth and increase the heat to high; bring to a boil and cook 1 minute. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and simmer until the spaghetti is almost fully cooked, about 6 more minutes. Uncover and stir in the beans and all but 2 tablespoons of the cilantro; continue simmering until the spaghetti is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 3 more minutes.

Divide the pasta and beans among bowls and top with the remaining cilantro and the cheese.

Per serving: Calories 420; Fat 10 g (Saturated 3 g); Cholesterol 28 mg; Sodium 635 mg; Carbohydrate 65 g; Fiber 17 g; Protein 22 g
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

Thanks for posting this... My family really enjoyed it for dinner tonight!

Thanks for the review - I'd been wondering about this recipe!
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!
    http://massachuseats.com/

How do you think it would be over rice? My boyfriend is gluten free so we'd have to skip the pasta.
    - Josie

Quote Originally Posted by avariell View Post
    How do you think it would be over rice? My boyfriend is gluten free so we'd have to skip the pasta.
    Why not use brown rice pasta? I've cooked with it quite a bit and think it would work just fine in this.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007 View Post
    Why not use brown rice pasta? I've cooked with it quite a bit and think it would work just fine in this.
    I agree - some brands are better than others, too. Jovial brand is tasty. Quinoa pasta also works well!
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

thanks!

Hey, thanks for this recipe, very easy to vegan-ize it! Also, we love pasta but hate the cleanup for most dishes since it's usually about pot #3 or 4 in the cleanup. Cooking the pasta right in the dish is brilliant !

Quote Originally Posted by zoey55 View Post
    Hey, thanks for this recipe, very easy to vegan-ize it! Also, we love pasta but hate the cleanup for most dishes since it's usually about pot #3 or 4 in the cleanup. Cooking the pasta right in the dish is brilliant !
    After making Pad Thai and just soaking the rice noodles before stir fry I have done the same with angel hair with good success.

Glad folks are enjoying this, this is on my menu for tomorrow night! I actually bought a box of "Cut Spaghetti" for this because when I made it the first time and broke the spaghetti, it was really hard "stirring" it in. The cut pieces are smaller and uniform so I think it will work much better.

I also like this meal because typically I just pick up fresh cilantro and a poblano, and I'm ready to make dinner!

I have to agree, very easy and delicious and the only thing I did different is to add garlic.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrytx View Post
    I have to agree, very easy and delicious and the only thing I did different is to add garlic.
    I would have added garlic without even thinking

Another fan of this recipe! I made it today with rice noddles. I did use my dutch oven instead of a skillet because I imagine it would be very hard to stir in a skillet. Everyone loved it!

We finally made this last night again. DH added garlic and we used the Cut Spaghetti. It was great, the cut spaghetti was WAY easier than breaking it up (if you are using a skillet!)

Thanks for sharing.
    Helene

''In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is the sign of perfection.''
    -Curnonsky

My Blog: La Cuisine d'Helene

Twitter: @lacuisinehelene

We had this for dinner last night for "Meatless Monday" and loved it!! Stirring the spaghetti was a little challenging, but it turned out great. DH doesn't like kidney beans, so I subbed pintos. I also added a can of original Ro-tel for a little kick. Next time I'll add "hot" Ro-tel. I also loved the cheese, but cheese makes almost anything taste good.

Thanks for sharing this. I get so many great recipes here.

Quote Originally Posted by TieKitty View Post
    We had this for dinner last night for "Meatless Monday" and loved it!! Stirring the spaghetti was a little challenging, but it turned out great. DH doesn't like kidney beans, so I subbed pintos. I also added a can of original Ro-tel for a little kick. Next time I'll add "hot" Ro-tel. I also loved the cheese, but cheese makes almost anything taste good.

Thanks for sharing this. I get so many great recipes here.

Try the "Cut Spaghetti" next time by Barilla. Worked much EASIER than breaking spaghetti noodles. Rotel sounds like a good idea too, did you add that along with the tomatoes or in place of?

Quote Originally Posted by PAMMELA View Post
    Try the "Cut Spaghetti" next time by Barilla. Worked much EASIER than breaking spaghetti noodles. Rotel sounds like a good idea too, did you add that along with the tomatoes or in place of?
    I added it with the tomatoes. I was afraid it might be too much liquid, but it was fine. I couldn't find the "cut spaghetti", but I'll keep looking. I had spaghetti pieces all over my kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by TieKitty View Post
    I had spaghetti pieces all over my kitchen.

LOL. Me too!! It was flying all the stove, the floor, everywhere....