Community Message Boards
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: So, how come we're not talking about Komen vs Planned parenthood?

Quote Originally Posted by leebee View Post
    Gingrich has come out against "post-conception birth control" which could easily include birth control pills even when used as intended because they can stop a fertilized egg from implanting. Santorum opposes any birth control a la the Catholic doctrine. Romney has been cagey--relatively silent on birth control, railing against the very things he supported as governor, and going after Obama for the birth control proposal as an attack on religion--he could go whichever way the wind blows him. This is a troubling trend to me, and I am furious at the way the discussion has gone, largely without imput from someone who maybe has a personal stake in the issue.

Yes, the pill can act as post-conception birth control; but I still would wager that his statements were not intended to include the pill. Yes, that would make his statements inconsistent - and so he would never use anything but waffle-words about the issue - but unless he really doesn't care about alienating a huge portion of his potential voters, he can't seriously endorse that. I would wager that a huge proportion of all but the most militant anti-abortion supporters use birth control pills or IUDs. Being against abortion is a relatively mainstream point of view; being against birth control isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Meganator View Post
    I think Republicans are - in general - against the gov't mandate, and the birth control issue is where they're planting their flag. I'm not saying it's right, just clarifying...
    IMHO its a stupid place to plant a flag. I can't believe this is the issue they need to run on.

Then again, since the economy is improving, jobs are being created, people are feeling better about it all, what else do they have
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

I honestly believe that the far right is populated by a lot of people who really are trying to push their agenda which is that any sexual act other than the missionary position between two married heterosexuals (married to each other) which might result in a baby is wrong.

I think if they were able to push back the country to some time when women who had sex faced the fear of pregnancy they would.

I am not amused by this joke because I think it represents their true belief system.

Foster Friess, the biggest donor to the super PAC supporting Rick Santorum, suggested women used aspirin as a contraceptive.

"Back in my days, they used Bayer aspirin for contraceptives," Friess said in an MSNBC interview today. "The gals put it between their knees and it wasn't that costly

Yes, the pill can act as post-conception birth control; but I still would wager that his statements were not intended to include the pill. Yes, that would make his statements inconsistent - and so he would never use anything but waffle-words about the issue - but unless he really doesn't care about alienating a huge portion of his potential voters, he can't seriously endorse that. I would wager that a huge proportion of all but the most militant anti-abortion supporters use birth control pills or IUDs. Being against abortion is a relatively mainstream point of view; being against birth control isn't.
    But more & more Gingrich is towing the Catholic line. It doesn't matter what people are doing privately: the Catholic Church opposes all "artificial" forms of birth control. Santorum is certainly right there. I think Gingrich's ego will convince him that he is SO right, the country will follow. I don't trust for a moment that cooler heads will prevail. The more they listen to themselves, the more reasonable it will all sound. Look where we are now--is it really a stretch that they'll try to take it a few steps further?
    As the arc of history bends towards justice, it's a new, more progressive day. --Steve Benen, The Maddow Blog, 11-07-12

I didn't read all 4 pages of this thread but just wanted to say that I think that people should make choices that are right for them - and not be dictacted to based on religious or personal belief nor should they be judged. i have always been about choices and I think I always will be....

Quote Originally Posted by Melman View Post
    And just when you think it can't get nastier than it already is (see the last few posts about Blunt, etc.), have you heard the bill that's quickly making its way through Virginia? This is already passed by their House. They're trying to push through the "personhood" bill stating that life begins at conception. This is similar to a bill that was defeated in Mississippi just a few months ago (Mississippi has more sense than Virginia???)

What is going on in this country?

Hold on to your hats ...

It passed the Senate in Oklahoma.

http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2012/...wpisrc=nextbox

Quote Originally Posted by luv2cook View Post
    I didn't read all 4 pages of this thread but just wanted to say that I think that people should make choices that are right for them - and not be dictacted to based on religious or personal belief nor should they be judged. i have always been about choices and I think I always will be....
    Totally agree.
    At the risk of being blasted, why does everyone continue to ignore Ron Paul as a candidate?
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    Hold on to your hats ...

It passed the Senate in Oklahoma.

http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2012/...wpisrc=nextbox

I want to know, if life begins at conception, why doesn't this life get a social security number at the time the mother finds out she is pregnant?! Shouldn't the mother be able to claim the life as a dependent on her income taxes?

Quote Originally Posted by zwieback View Post
    I want to know, if life begins at conception, why doesn't this life get a social security number at the time the mother finds out she is pregnant?! Shouldn't the mother be able to claim the life as a dependent on her income taxes?
    Well, since the bill provides embryos and fetuses with “all the rights privileges, and immunities” of other citizens, I don't see why she couldn't, or shouldn't.

Won't that be fun!
    ~ ~ Leslie ~ ~

Levity

Hilarious!!

Every time I think people can't possibly get any crazier... they do!!
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

Quote Originally Posted by syzygy View Post
    Well, since the bill provides embryos and fetuses with “all the rights privileges, and immunities” of other citizens, I don't see why she couldn't, or shouldn't.

Won't that be fun!
    Hmmm....so if an embryo has been frozen for 18 years, does that mean it can register to vote too?
    Sherri

Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.

Ugh. Yes, my home state is once again making headlines...it's shameful.
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by leebee View Post
    But more & more Gingrich is towing the Catholic line. It doesn't matter what people are doing privately: the Catholic Church opposes all "artificial" forms of birth control. Santorum is certainly right there. I think Gingrich's ego will convince him that he is SO right, the country will follow. I don't trust for a moment that cooler heads will prevail. The more they listen to themselves, the more reasonable it will all sound. Look where we are now--is it really a stretch that they'll try to take it a few steps further?
    It'a s frightening hypothetical, but I don't feel that it will actually amount to anything because I don't think any one of them is a strong enough candidate to beat Obama. I think there is a large middle ground of conservatives who are not as religious, not as militantly pro-choice, etc. who don't make news but who don't agree with the extreme positions being taken by the candidates, such as the anti-birth control issues. At a minimum, it will just result in a lower voter turnout for the Republicans.

It'a s frightening hypothetical, but I don't feel that it will actually amount to anything because I don't think any one of them is a strong enough candidate to beat Obama. I think there is a large middle ground of conservatives who are not as religious, not as militantly pro-choice, etc. who don't make news but who don't agree with the extreme positions being taken by the candidates, such as the anti-birth control issues. At a minimum, it will just result in a lower voter turnout for the Republicans.
    Interesting analysis of the demographics of the Republican primary voter - it is such a small number of people and totally unrepresentative of American in 2012.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...land/?emc=eta1

The positions taken by the candidates are so extreme that they seem to have helped Obama in the latest polls especially among the critical suburban *independent vote*.

Santorum has come out against public schools most recently.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverFarm View Post
    Interesting article, Amarante. One does wonder how it will all shake out in the general election. Apparently to win a Republican primary one has to espouse extremely radical views; once the candidate is chosen he has to move to the center in hopes of engaging the more moderate R's and the independents. That will be hard to do after this circus.
    I don't know how a candidate walks himself back from this kind of thing.

Was it Kerry who got the image of flip flopping?

I don't think Santorum is "pandering" to the base as I think he is stating his positions - for better or worse on the social stuff. He appears to be a total hypocrite on stuff like earmarks and that article posted above on his wife's lawsuit was certainly in the category of you can't make this stuff up.

Romney is pandering I think on the social issues but his background on economic issues is not going to endear him to the majority of people who wouldn't be hurt by a tax on those making over $250,000 a year. It will be interesting to see how it goes in Michigan which has a blue collar population but an extremely hard to core right to life contingent.

ETA - Santorum seems to be doubling down on what health insurance should provide as he thinks prenatal testing should be excluded because it results in abortions.
    Last edited by amarante; 02-19-2012 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amarante View Post
    ETA - Santorum seems to be doubling down on what health insurance should provide as he thinks prenatal testing should be excluded because it results in abortions.
    He gets scarier and scarier.
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

amarante, thanks so much for the link to the NYT article above.
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

Just when I thought the craziness had hit its peak, I saw this on the news this morning:

Indiana Lawmaker: Girl Scouts in League with Planned Parenthood

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/22/electi...ml?eref=rss_us

Quote Originally Posted by daisylover View Post
    Just when I thought the craziness had hit its peak, I saw this on the news this morning:

Indiana Lawmaker: Girl Scouts in League with Planned Parenthood

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/22/electi...ml?eref=rss_us
    This bothers me on so many levels. What a wingnut. And he doesn't have an argument. He would not give an example of his criticism. When he finally did, he said he did research on the internet. BWAHAhhahahahaha. What? What credible source on the internet?
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

When he finally did, he said he did research on the internet. BWAHAhhahahahaha. What? What credible source on the internet?
    Funny, this was my reaction exactly!