Community Message Boards

Thread: "Internet Security" Virus

"Internet Security" Virus

So for the first time ever, my computer caught a virus. It's called "Internet Security" and it would love for me to buy a virus protection program which is most likely an even worse virus!

It does not allow me to open IE (I didn't try Firefox but according to my research it probably affects that one too) because it's obviously afraid I'll find out that "Internet Security" is not a real virus protection program.

I am ready to go home tonight and battle it. My laptop is my baby and no virus is going to take it over and live to tell the tale. I found instructions on bleepingcomputer.com for Windows Vista, but since I don't have much experience with this stuff, I would just like your opinion on whether that in itself is a reputable site or not...and if not, any alternatives?

Thanks!!

I deleted that virus on our desk top using bleeping computer and AntiMalWareBytes and another forum that I can't remember (which gave basically the same advice, just reenforced it). If you can download Anti Mal Ware Bytes on to a thumb drive from a computer that is not the infected one that will give you a big head start.

It's a super pain in the *** and takes an incredible amount of time, but you can do it.
    ______

Elizabeth

Walking Towards Wellness, my personal challenge to walk 10,000 steps per day in 2014 while living with and managing a chronic illness. Walk with me.

That one ended up killing my last computer. I tried a bunch of things but finally gave up. It would have cost more to have it professionally done than I wanted to spend.
    Beth

"A teacher who says, 'I am a good teacher,' is in trouble. A good teacher is frequently troubled, in doubt, frustrated. Perfection doesn't exist. Everyone needs help." (Amelia Gambetti)

Well, thanks to the remote help of Deepak, Mohammed and Amrit, my laptop is now squeaky clean (fingers crossed). I let the Dell support team fight my battle, and I picked them over the McAfee support team, although McAfee would have been cheaper, because when I called McAfee they told me that no virus protection software can protect us from everything out there.

I do understand that, but then why should I keep McAfee over something else that might be cheaper or even free, I ask? The customer support lady at McAfee did not have a good answer to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelina View Post
    Well, thanks to the remote help of Deepak, Mohammed and Amrit, my laptop is now squeaky clean (fingers crossed). I let the Dell support team fight my battle, and I picked them over the McAfee support team, although McAfee would have been cheaper, because when I called McAfee they told me that no virus protection software can protect us from everything out there.

I do understand that, but then why should I keep McAfee over something else that might be cheaper or even free, I ask? The customer support lady at McAfee did not have a good answer to that.
    Yay!

McAfee was what was running on my computer when it got that virus. Even once it was infected McAfee did not pick it up. I use Microsoft Security Essentials on the advise of several trusted computer people and run AntiMalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyWare on a regular basis. Better protection than the dollars I was paying to McAfee every year.

I realize that no antivirus software can protect me from everything, but I would rather use a free combo than a paid single source.
    ______

Elizabeth

Walking Towards Wellness, my personal challenge to walk 10,000 steps per day in 2014 while living with and managing a chronic illness. Walk with me.