Community Message Boards

Thread: should I be worried?

should I be worried?

My dad has been short of breath since Saturday. He's 62. He went to the PCP who did an ECG that looked like a heart attack and sent him to a cardiologist. They said it was not a heart attack but admited him to the hospital to run a PET and some other tests.

So far the test shows lots of clots in a lung. A few months back he went from having low bp - 110/72 to high BP. My dad is not overweight, does not smoke and does not exercise but is active all the time doing something.

Has anyone had anything like that or similar? Just doing a little recon....

I'm not a doc, but here are my thoughts...

ECG???? that is brain wave activity...do you mean EKG??
    that should tell them how the heart is beating and the electrical activity.

Clots in lungs?? Do you mean pulmonary embolisms?? That is deadly and very worrisome and should be treated with an anticoagulant ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and monitored!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did they do a blood draw?? That can tell if he had an actual heart attack as well.
    If the EKG shows arrythmia, that can cause clotting and typically put on meds and/or pacemaker.

I am so sorry you are dealing with this.
    I hope someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Ralph is an ED doc and maybe he can comment with more expertise.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Well, we know a blood thinner will be involved and I asked if they were going to do an MRA....my stepmom didn't know. All she told me was a bunch of clots in one lung.

However what causes that? He had 110/72 bp until a few months ago and normal cholesterol.....it's weird..l.....

Quote Originally Posted by wallycat View Post
    I'm not a doc, but here are my thoughts...

ECG???? that is brain wave activity...do you mean EKG??
    that should tell them how the heart is beating and the electrical activity.
    An ECG (an electrocardiogram), a measurement of the heart's electrical activity, was formerly called an "EKG" or electroKardiogram. AN EEG measures the brain's activity.

Blood clots in the lungs usually originate from elsewhere in the body, often the legs. There are various causes. I hope the doctors are able to quickly diagnose and treat the problem, and that your dad is feeling better soon.

Barbara now that u say that, a few years ago he had a clot in his leg due to driving so much but that was years ago....

The only thing that sounds odd to me is the PET scan. As I understand it (and I have had one) is they look for cancer tumors. Mine also showed a benign ovarian cyst, so perhaps they do them for lung issues, but i would think they would do a chest x-ray first. PET scans are very expensive and I hear of echocardiograms and CT scans being done for heart issues before PET.
    Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

Hopefully he has a good pulmonogist on the case. I had pulmonary embolisms that resolved themselves with very few symptoms except a slight shortness of breath going up and down stairs.

I was diagnosed with Pulmonary Hypertension (http://www.phassociation.org/page.aspx?pid=974) during the attempts to discover what had caused the clots. There are literally dozens of diseases and conditions that can result in clots, shortness of breath, and high blood pressure. I hope that he can get the tests necessary to figure out what is wrong and get the proper treatment quickly.

The anticoagulant don't directly treat the existing clots, but will prevent others from forming. He needs to be monitored for the existing ones very carefully.

I hope he's up and around soon. It's really hard to have a loved one ill.
    ______

Elizabeth

Walking Towards Wellness, my personal challenge to walk 10,000 steps per day in 2014 while living with and managing a chronic illness. Walk with me.

I just went thru this the end of December.. my clot started in my broken ankle and went to my lungs... only one small one, but it was the shortness of breath and fast pulse that indicated it to me. On warfarin for 6 months, but OK now. They should have him on something right now and checking his INR levels alot at first.

I don't know anything about this but wanted to give you a (((hug))) and send best wishes for you Dad. I hope you receive a positive update soon.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2cook View Post
    Barbara now that u say that, a few years ago he had a clot in his leg due to driving so much but that was years ago....
    They can also be a problem on long airline flights, which is why it's suggested passengers get up a walk around the cabin. I'd imagine they also might be a problem for someone who's sendentary, but you mentioned that your dad is active.

Hugs to you and your family; it's so scary when someone is ill. Hope all's well soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey1230 View Post
    I just went thru this the end of December.. my clot started in my broken ankle and went to my lungs... only one small one, but it was the shortness of breath and fast pulse that indicated it to me. On warfarin for 6 months, but OK now. They should have him on something right now and checking his INR levels alot at first.
    Thatgytttt (kitten) is interesting. He's on a blood thinner now and hooked up to saline. They apparently want to make sure he stays balanced....my dad is not one to sit around except for napping bc he's tired. I found out he passed 2 stress tests and the cardiologist told him that he wasn't short of breath but yet he was! This was back in December.

we theorize that the doc ASSumed that the high bp was causing it but when my dad stated he was still short of breath, the doc said no he wasn't! We further theorized that -- why does that word look wrong? -- that the doc dropped the ball....apparently it was so bad yesterday they didn't know how he was going to make it from doc office to hospital and put him on oxygen. Today he's fine and no oxygen....

Thanks ChristyM!

He's been home now and he goes back to the doctor Monday. I guess he will hear the results of the ultrasound of his legs....but over than that....

Quote Originally Posted by luv2cook View Post
    Thatgytttt (kitten) is interesting. He's on a blood thinner now and hooked up to saline. They apparently want to make sure he stays balanced....my dad is not one to sit around except for napping bc he's tired. I found out he passed 2 stress tests and the cardiologist told him that he wasn't short of breath but yet he was! This was back in December.

we theorize that the doc ASSumed that the high bp was causing it but when my dad stated he was still short of breath, the doc said no he wasn't! We further theorized that -- why does that word look wrong? -- that the doc dropped the ball....apparently it was so bad yesterday they didn't know how he was going to make it from doc office to hospital and put him on oxygen. Today he's fine and no oxygen....

Thanks ChristyM!
    Shortness of breath is a self-perception symptom, so the doctor should not be able to state one way or the other if he is feeling short of breath. O2 stats are measurable. The doctor would be able to say "You may feel short of breath, but your O2 stats are stable." and that would be less concerning than if his stats were dropping at all the times he felt short of breath. There is something called the Borg Scale and then another simpler scale that doctors use for patients to articulate their shortness of breath in terms that the doctor can actually use as measurement.

I'm glad he's home now and I hope he is feeling better. I'm assuming that he will get good news from the leg ultrasound, because if it were concerning they would not let him go home and they would still be treating any potential clots/DVTs.
    ______

Elizabeth

Walking Towards Wellness, my personal challenge to walk 10,000 steps per day in 2014 while living with and managing a chronic illness. Walk with me.

what was interesting to me was that he passed 2 stress tests.

He had "a lot" of clots in just one lung. What I want to know is WHY! but I am a Why kind of gal....