Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you pay for eyebrow waxing?

What do you pay for eyebrow waxing?

Just wondering what the going rate is. I was having it done by my hair stylist whenever I got a haircut, but then she got a new esthetician in the salon, so the last 2 months she had her do my eyebrow wax. I'm not sure exactly what I paid before, because it was all in one charge and usually had some product in with the total, but I always felt it was reasonable. The new esthetician charges $15, and then with a $3 tip, it is almost $20. For about a 5 minute service. I've also never had anyone do it so fast. It just seems high to me - I get my haircut which takes almost an hour by the time she shampoos, cuts, and styles and it costs $35. (plus tip) And then 5 minutes later the eyebrow wax is costing me almost 50% of the haircut price. Is this high or reasonable?
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

I paid $16 on Saturday at Beauty Brands. Not including a tip.
    Last edited by MNGirlTX; 02-08-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Edited because Beauty Mart and Beauty Brands are not the same place.
    See some of my quilts at: My blog

Nothing. I pluck mine myself. I also do my own nails and paint my own toenails.

Michelle

$15 or $20 is the least I've ever paid but then $35 for a haircut and blow dry is unheard of so I don't have the same kind of price dissonance as you are experiencing.

Why don't you google eyebrow waxing for your geographic area and see what places charge.

$15 is standard around here I pay $25 for eyebrow/lip.

I pay $15.

$12 $25
    Cheryl

$10 here, without tip, but we're talking small town, where haircuts are $14!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

$15 here at several salons. Haircuts in this area run from $40 (pretty cheap) up to about $75.

I'd love to only pay $35 for a shampoo cut & style--I have about the easiest hair in the world, and it runs me $45 + tip (plus another $65 + tip if it needs to be colored). I don't get my brows waxed, but I pay $60 + tip for a brazilian, so I'd say $15 sounds about right. But given how little you pay for an hour's worth of work on your hair, I can see why the differential between the two would maybe hit you wrong---maybe your stylist was giving you a discount when it was all bundled together?
    "Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
    Use an egg carton like everyone else and stop being such a poser." - The Little Book of Wrong Shui

Quote Originally Posted by mkc View Post
    Nothing. I pluck mine myself. I also do my own nails and paint my own toenails.

Michelle
    What a helpful response.

Yes, $15 is the going rate around here, and $35 for shampoo/cut/style would be ... shockingly low, even at the chain Heads Up where I go.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

$25 + tip
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I also do mine myself a majority of the time, but a few times have had them done along with a hair cut but I don't recall the price. I've also had them done at the same place I get pedicures, and their rate was only $8....but they made them much thinner than I preferred, which also required much more frequent waxes to maintain that look.

Usually waxing just eyebrows is 15 to 25, but if you get more done the less they charge for each.
    I don't need to do mine, just pluck, but my daughter has two undefined messes above her eyes! She just has no shape to them unless she gets it waxed or threaded. I don't take her to get them waxed anymore because both times she went they took off a layer of skin! (even with the powder) She got these huge scabs and I was worried the skin would discolor so now she gets her brows threaded. It hurts and costs more, but looks better after.

Quote Originally Posted by cminmd View Post
    Usually waxing just eyebrows is 15 to 25, but if you get more done the less they charge for each.
    I do agree with this as my experience is also that when the waxing is tied to another service by the SAME person, rates decrease. I used to have my brows done by the woman who did my facials and she would throw in the lip and chin - for example.

Your haircut and blow are really a bargain. Generally the cut and blow dry are charged separately here so that an inexpensive blow dry would be about $40 on top of the cost for the actual cut.

$12 plus $3 tip
    <)>>< Candace ><<)>

$8.00 for threading plus maybe a $3.00 tip. I don't think the threading hurts nearly as much as waxing.

OK - I feel better now. Thanks for all your responses. And actually, the $35 for the cut is one of the higher prices around here! I have thin fine hair and a good cut makes it so much easier to style. I think if I checked around I could find the waxing cheaper, but it is just so convenient to get the eyebrows cleaned up whenever I get my hair cut.
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

I'm blessed. I get a cut and style, no shampoo, for 20.00 plus tip. And she is supposed to be the best in town. She stays booked up 2 months ahead. After looking at this thread, I am AMAZED!
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

Quote Originally Posted by jmarie View Post
    I'm blessed. I get a cut and style, no shampoo, for 20.00 plus tip. And she is supposed to be the best in town. She stays booked up 2 months ahead. After looking at this thread, I am AMAZED!
    That is amazing. If she takes an hour, which is typical for my cut and style, she is only grossing about $10/hour? With expenses that is probably a little over minimum wage? Is that the going rate for all hair stylists in the area? It doesn't seem to make financial sense to the stylist.

My son's stylist costs $25 but he is in and out in 20 or 25 minutes.
    Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    $25 + tip
    Me too.
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland

My good friend regularly paid $20+ tip in Indy, and she was poor. But that's what it cost.

Not to split hairs (ha ha), but how long does it take to do an the eyebrow wax?

I usually pay $15, but it's a pretty quick process and I'm not always happy with the shaping. Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't look elsewhere...

The local Brow Betty that just opened up the road charges $20. I usually just pluck my own. For those of you who wax your eyebrows, how long before you need another waxing?

(Adding to the hair discussion...I pay $35 for a cut and style plus tip, but I don't have my hair washed. But I don't go to a salon, so I think that what she usually does for me would cost slightly more elsewhere, based on what I've heard from others. My stylist rents a room in an aesthetics institute and works for herself.)

I pluck inbetween - I just get them "cleaned up" at each haircut. Unfortunately my eyes aren't what they used to be - even with a magnifying mirror!

I have threaded my eyebrows for years. It's $10 at the mall and I usually tip a dollar. Don't get me wrong, I am a good tipper - tip 20% at the salon, 20% at restaurants, etc., but for a less than 5 min job, I think a dollar is fine. I think I figured out one time they made like $120 an HOUR before tip and %cut....I just had mine done Tues and it took her like 4 minutes AND when I got home, I found some hairs that she missed...grrrrr. I can't see in the light there.

I also do threading. It's $12 at the mall plus $2 tip.

My wash, cut, and style is $35 by the owner of the salon.
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

I'm not up-to-date on these things... what is threading??
    Kay

Here's a you tube. I didn't quite get it until I saw it on video, even after I'd had it done.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVmbHB2p4WM

It originated in India or Pakistan I believe.
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by jjsooner73 View Post
    Here's a you tube. I didn't quite get it until I saw it on video, even after I'd had it done.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVmbHB2p4WM

It originated in India or Pakistan I believe.
    Ah, that explained it pretty well. I'm not sure it would work for me, because my eyebrows are blonde, and pretty invisible to me.

Thanks for posting that!
    Kay