Community Message Boards

Thread: What do you do with leftover pot roast?

What do you do with leftover pot roast?

We're having a basic pot roast dinner tonight. DH picked up a rather large roast, so there will be plenty of leftovers, but...what to do with it? To be honest, if there are usually leftovers, DH just eats them for lunch for a day or two, but I'd like to do something creative with it.

I've thought of mixing the meat with BBQ sauce and making a BBQ beef pizza, but other than that, I'm drawing a blank.

So what do you do with leftover pot roast? Inspire me!
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

We'd probably have hot beef sandwiches.

I have a leftover prime rib bone from this weekend with plenty of meat on it. I'm planning on simmering it in my crockpot to make a great soup

Quote Originally Posted by DCook View Post
    We'd probably have hot beef sandwiches.

I have a leftover prime rib bone from this weekend with plenty of meat on it. I'm planning on simmering it in my crockpot to make a great soup
    I like the hot beef sammies.
    What about Italian Beef sandwhiches. Depends how much you have left but here is my favorite recipe

ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICHES

3-4 lb. beef roast (I like chuck but rump, Boston are good)
    12 garlic cloves
    1 packet au jus seasoning
    1 packet Good Seasons Italian dressing (Zesty gives more flavor)
    1 small jar pepperocini peppers
    Loaf of crust French bread.
    Make pockets in roast and insert garlic cloves. Season with cracked black pepper. Place in crockpot. Mix remaining ingredients together, including juices from peppers and add to crockpot. Cook all night at 200 or in crock pot. Chill to skim off fat. Depending on texture of meat, slice very thinly or pull into shreds with fork. Slice bread horizontally. Cut into sandwich servings. Reheat meat in juices and serve on buns. Be sure to serve bowls of the juice for dipping.

This is a special treat from the Midwest. The Chicago version is sliced.

If it's quite a bit I would shred it and either mix it with barbecue sauce for barbecue sandwiches or serve it with provolone and spaghetti sauce for Italian beef sandwiches. I also like to save leftover beef in the freezer for vegetable beef soup.

LOL - didn't see the Italian Beef post until after I posted. That is the recipe I use if I'm making Italian Beef sandwiches from scratch. It's a hit with everyone in my family. The leftover spicy broth and meat go into the freezer to add some zip to vegetable soup.

Quote Originally Posted by GayeC View Post
    LOL - didn't see the Italian Beef post until after I posted. That is the recipe I use if I'm making Italian Beef sandwiches from scratch. It's a hit with everyone in my family. The leftover spicy broth and meat go into the freezer to add some zip to vegetable soup.
    My only regret was I didn't find that recipe till I was done with graduation parties. Doesn't mean I can't catch up.

HASH! Yum yum yum! Good just with onions and potatoes, or you can gussy it up with other stuff: green peppers, hot peppers, parsley, olives and raisins, etc.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

I use left overs from roasts for these -

sliced/diced - stir fry, shepards pie, tamale pie, enchiladas, soup, chile, french dips
    shredded - burritto or taco, sloppy joe, random casserols, tortilla lasagne, wraps
    Anne

Some type of beef pot pie thing.
    ______

Elizabeth

Walking Towards Wellness, my personal challenge to walk 10,000 steps per day in 2014 while living with and managing a chronic illness. Walk with me.

We eat it as pot roast sandwiches and as pot roast tacos--either in a flour tortilla or in a lightly pan-toasted corn tortilla with some shredded cheese.

Pot roast is this family's FAVORITE leftover.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

I've been wanting to make Brunswick Stew, which has pork, chicken and beef in it. I currently have cooked shredded pork and cooked shredded chicken in my freezer....so if I had left over pot roast, I'd have all the meat components and would make the stew. There is a roast on sale this week at my local grocery store, so this could happen soon! Seeing how it's supposed to be cold on Sunday, it would be a good time to try it!

Here's the recipe I've had saved: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/get-a-h...runswick-stew/ ((side note, I would use shredded pork/beef like a local BBQ joint uses))

Quote Originally Posted by Shugness View Post

Here's the recipe I've had saved: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/get-a-h...runswick-stew/ ((side note, I would use shredded pork/beef like a local BBQ joint uses))
    Well, I just added that to my recipe box!

I don't think I have quite enough leftover roast to make hearty sandwiches- at least, enough to make my DH very happy.

I think I've decided to try chopping it up and making some beef empanadas with it. Should be interesting!
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Quote Originally Posted by Ohioan View Post
    HASH! Yum yum yum! Good just with onions and potatoes, or you can gussy it up with other stuff: green peppers, hot peppers, parsley, olives and raisins, etc.

Cheers,
    Phoebe
    This is exactly what I was thinking. My mom always made hash with left over pot roast. Loved it!

I divide it into dinner sized portions and freeze it in Ziploc bags for other dinners. After thawing, I'll add a bit more water or broth if necessary to make certain it is moist.

Note: In my experience, cooked potatoes are the only veggie that doesn't freeze well, so if I'm planning to freeze, I'll just add enough potatoes for the first night.

Kay

I sometimes shred or dice, heat in BBQ sauce or brown gravy and stuff baked potatoes. Top with your fav shredded cheese, green onions, sour cream, etc. Really quick and easy for those crazy days that pop up from time to time.