Community Message Boards

Thread: Online dating issue: how would you handle this?

Online dating issue: how would you handle this?

I just saw a profile of a guy I once met briefly last year. It was at a professional workshop. I liked him, though I thought I saw a ring at the time. Seems he is available ...
    Not sure how to approach this. Do I mention we met or hope he does/doesn't recognize me? Try to meet him IRL? We actually don't have much to do with each other, so it would take some time and doing. Mind you, if it doesn't work out, we might run into each other professionally down the line (potentially awkward).

I would mention that you saw his picture, thought he looked familiar because you may have met once at a work function and go from there.

If you exclude all the men you meet in a professional environment...you are unnecessarily closing the playing field.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Quote Originally Posted by tbb113 View Post
    I would mention that you saw his picture, thought he looked familiar because you may have met once at a work function and go from there.

Agreed. You don't want a 'stalker' label if it should come out you've already met but not mentioning it up front.

There was some kind of survey I recently saw where a lot of people meet professionally or even work together. I don't find this a deal breaker. Good luck!
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

Thanks. It just seems awkward, that's all, mixing online ("anonymous") and real-life when it comes to dating. I still find online dating, well, strange...

Online dating may seem strange, but compared to what- hanging out in a bar hoping to meet someone? Actually, I picked DH up in a bar 40+ years ago, but...

DH's cousin moved from Sacramento CA to Houston TX after meeting a woman on an online dating service. They've been togerther for about 15 years.

All the good stuff happens in DH's family. His cousin's DS found his bride on an online dating service because they had a common interest in sailing. It's been 11 years and the oldest of three children is 10. They are incredibly happy and I adore all of them.

In our very funny world, it works for a lot of people. Good luck. Just don't throw your common sense out the window. After all, My mother told me to always keep a quarter so I could make a phone call and to always have a hat pin in my lapel-like that was going to save my honor-or my life!

Patt
    With all of our running and all of our cunning, If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane...
    "Changes in Attitude, Changes in Latitude" Jimmy Buffet