Community Message Boards

Thread: Traveling With Your Dog on The Roof

Traveling With Your Dog on The Roof

Just out of curiosity, would anyone dream of stashing their beloved family pet in a kennel on the car roof and then traveling for 12 hours - or any amount of time?

I'm not even over the end of the continuum that calls them my fur babies but I can't imagine even considering this. Don't mean to start a discussion on what the appropriate nomenclature of pets is by the way but just mean that I recognize that my dogs and my children are both beloved but in different ways so on a scale I imagine there are people who go to greater lengths to cosset their pets.

I am sure you are all familiar with Mitt's Amazing Summer Vacation.

Romney's roof-mounted dog carrier became famous thanks to a 2007 Boston Globe story. The paper reported that in 1983, Romney packed up his family for a 12-hour drive from Boston to Ontario. His five sons filled up the car, leaving no room for the family's Irish Setter, Seamus, so the resourceful Romney strapped the dog's crate to the car roof.

When Seamus suffered an apparent bout of diarrhea during the trip, Romney pulled into a service station, where "he borrowed a hose, washed down Seamus and the car, then hopped back onto the highway," the Globe reported. "It was a tiny preview of a trait he would grow famous for in business: emotion-free crisis management."

Well i hope he at least had the crate covered! Poor Seamus!

I wouldn't do it and can't even imagine it!
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

http://www.dogsagainstromney.com/

You aren't the only one who feels this way.

My dogs are also not my 'furbabies'--the term makes me throw up in my mouth a little--but no way would I strap a kennel on top of the car. Or hose a dog off and then drive! Imagine how cold he must have been, even in the summer.

I would love for a question about this to come up in the debates.

Quote Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post

My dogs are also not my 'furbabies'--the term makes me throw up in my mouth a little--
    Sorry, this made me laugh out loud!!! My cats are like my kids, but i don't call them furbabies, but it doesn't make me want to throw up! LOL Funny.

Dogs on car roof

What!!! He could not afford to leave the dog at some dog kennel? Seems to me he was sitting on his brain.
    V.

I thought it was a joeke when I first heard about it. I have never seen any pet on a roof of a car and just after I heard this a few weeks ago, I looked over at the car next to me and there was a crate with a cat on top! And you could tell there were on a long road trip. The poor cat looked terrifed.
    I want a tee shirt!

I would like to think I would not do it...but I can see the rationalization that it isn't that different from a crate in the back of a pickup truck or having a dog tethered in the back of a pickup.

He wanted the dog to go on vacation with them and it didn't fit in the car. He thought it would be safe (and it appears he was safe).

Everybody does something stupid and lives to tell about it. I don't get why this is a big deal.
    (and I'm not a Romney supporter).
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Quote Originally Posted by tbb113 View Post
    I would like to think I would not do it...but I can see the rationalization that it isn't that different from a crate in the back of a pickup truck or having a dog tethered in the back of a pickup.

He wanted the dog to go on vacation with them and it didn't fit in the car. He thought it would be safe (and it appears he was safe).

Everybody does something stupid and lives to tell about it. I don't get why this is a big deal.
    (and I'm not a Romney supporter).
    You've got to be kidding! No pet belongs tethered in the back of a pickup, hanging out of an open window, or on the roof of a vehicle.

I'll never forget the day I say a tethered dog fall out of a pickup bed and then watched in horror as the driver dragged him for over half a mile before realizing what had happened.

Stupidity is no excuse!!!

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    You've got to be kidding! No pet belongs tethered in the back of a pickup, hanging out of an open window, or on the roof of a vehicle.

I'll never forget the day I say a tethered dog fall out of a pickup bed and then watched in horror as the driver dragged him for over half a mile before realizing what had happened.

Stupidity is no excuse!!!
    Not disagreeing but if the story had been that he drove 12 hours with his dog in a crate in the back of a pickup truck, very few people would have batted an eye. Until recently, it was legal to have an untethered dog in the back of a truck.

Anyways, there is so many real issues to focus on, that the media chose to focus on this amazes me.

Back to add: the incident took place in 1983. I think that is around the time that PEOPLE first started being mandated to wear seat belts. You can't take take today's laws and sensibilities and judge people's past actions. If you did, all of our parents would have been horrible parents for allowing us to ride in a car without a seat belt

Tyra, do you have pets? And i'm not being rude or judgmental whatsoever i'm just asking.

Being a pet lover/owner I would NEVER do that. It would never even have been an option. If the dog didn't fit in the car, then he wasn't going on vacation. I'd never put any animal on top of the car in a crate. In 1983 or 2012.

I do agree that in the scheme of things, there are more important issues politically.

I didn't raise the question in terms of politics but was wondering whether other people thought it was as odd as I did - particularly the washing down of the dog with a hose and continuing blithely on.

Even back in the 1950's when my cousins and I were hauled around with no seat belts, it would never have occurred to my family to have the family dog riding on the roof.

I asked a friend and her first response was that she could see herself doing that if it seemed practical and then I asked her skeptically if she really wanted me to believe that she would have put her beloved Toby on the roof and she backed down and said no - she would have found an alternative solution - especially since cost would not have been a factor since the guy could have easily afforded to pay someone to drive the dog up in a limo

Although I didn't raise the issue to make a political point, it does strike me that it does seem indicative of his lack of what Jennifer Aniston once said of Brad Pitt - he lacks a sensitivity chip. It does seem somewhat consistent with a lot of what has slipped through his political persona/mask though.

Really? this is a media story right now? I'm so glad I got rid of cable TV. And thank goodness Whitney Houston is overriding everything. Hopefully this story will pass & we can move onto important issues of what makes a good President and how the candidates plan to change things.

And, for the record, no I'd never put my dog in a crate on my roof. But, I also wouldn't divorce my wife on her deathbed. And I wouldn't say all the things Santorum says about homosexuals. So, I think we're back at square one!

I don't currently have pets but I have in the past owned dogs.

I didn't say I would do it...I'm just saying I can understand the thought (or lack of thought) process that caused him to put the dog on the top of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by tbb113 View Post
    Except for the fact that the dog put in a crate on top of a car was subjected to a 60-70 MPH wind force for hours and hours.

This brings to mind the 8 hour trips I endured with a 75-lb malamute sitting on my lap...there is always an alternative!
    I think for me it speaks to a coldness of character or something. I don't fall into the "furbaby" category myself, but neither do I feel my pets are merely possessions. Wouldn't the dog be scared if nothing else? I couldn't knowingly put my pets through the stress and discomfort.
    As the arc of history bends towards justice, it's a new, more progressive day. --Steve Benen, The Maddow Blog, 11-07-12

Tyra -

Perhaps it is because of where I live, but during hunting season, it is common to see dogs in crates in the back of trucks on the interstate. So, I can understand the rationalization of putting the dog on the top of the car. And, I do think the world was different in 1983.

That being said, I would never do that.
    Sherri

Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.

Except for the fact that the dog put in a crate on top of a car was subjected to a 60-70 MPH wind force for hours and hours.

Dogs against Romney.

Gumbeaux,
    I love the poster....says it all. It makes me sick just to think about what that poor "family pet" endured.

Hmmm....apparently Seamus was not the only Romney pet that traveled uniquely during family vacations:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeedpoli...es-death-on-ro
    Sherri

The Romney campaign has an app where you can take a picture and overlaid is his campaign slogan. There is a typo for now....

Anyway, tumblr has a feed of various pictures. This one made me laugh and since it relates to this thread, I thought I would share:

Sherri

spam reported