Community Message Boards

Thread: Book series recommendations, please!

Book series recommendations, please!

OK, I love reading books in a series, and I'm just finishing #18 from Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series...looking for another to take it's place! What have you all enjoyed?

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Some established series that I have followed through the years:

James Lee Burke-Dave Robicheaux
    Nevada Barr-Anna Pigeon, park ranger series
    Robert Crais
    Michael Connelly
    Jeffery Deaver
    Lee Child-Jack Reacher is great
    Dennis Lehane-Patrick Kenzie and Angie Gennaro
    Carol O'Connell-Kathy Mallory is an interesting character
    S.J. Rozan

Some newer series that I enjoy are:

C.J. Box-Joe Pickett
    Craig Johnson-Walt Longmire (A&E is going to film a series from this)
    Jo Nesbo, first book translated into English is The Redbreast
    Taylor Stevens, first book is The Informationist
    Denise Mina-Paddy Meehan, a great Scottish series

Other good authors with good series are Walter Mosely and Joe Lansdale.

Carole

Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. The series starts with Outlander, and goes on for several more books. Closely allied with this series is her Lord John series, featuring several characters from the original series with a different main character.

I also enjoy Anne McCaffrey's Pern series -- scifi, but not too scientific, more about the characters. All her other series are good, too.

Stuart Woods Orchid series is interesting me. And I love the "IN Death" series, by JD Robb (Nora Roberts.)

That should keep you going a while!!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I'm also a huge Outlander fan. Rich, detailed, well-researched history, fully drawn characters, humor, swashbuckling, romance ... Just be aware these are epic books, not quick, light reads like Evanovich.

If you liked the Da Vinci Code, look at the books by Steve Berry. The first several featured different characters, but then he settled on Cotton Malone as the hero for the rest of the books.

You might also look at the V.I. Warshawski books by Sara Paretsky. Also a female detective, but darker and more serious than Plum.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

You might like the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris. This is the series that the show True Blood is based on so be aware that the series involves vampires and other assorted paranormal creatures (just in case that isn't your thing) but I think the Sookie character is somewhat similar to Stephanie Plum. The author also has other series with recurring female heroines you might want to check out (I've meant to but haven't read them).
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

J.A. Jance has several series of books going with different detectives. One of my favorites is the Joanna Brady series, but there is one with a male detective that has more books in it.

Also, the Sue Grafton "alphabet" series.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I really like Tasha Alexander's Lady Emily series , Victoria Thompson's Gaslight Mystery series, and Linda Fairstein's Alex Cooper series.
    -Faygie

Life Tastes Good

Thanks so much everyone! WOW, I better start filling up my nook!

~Gail
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

I would like to give a plug to the Flavia de Luce series by Alan Bradley. The main character is all of 11 years old, but the books are very suitable to all ages. And a lot of fun.

In the mystery vein:

Anne Perry's Charlotte and Thomas Pitt series and William Monk series (historical)

Joanne Fluke's mysteries about a baker - super fluffy mysteries

and otherwise:

Alexander McCall Smith's No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series. I don't recommend his other series (44 Scotland St.) but that's just me.

I've also enjoyed some of the others listed above.
    "If you're not chasing after miracles, what's the point?" The movie Saint Ralph

"What it all comes down to
    Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
    I've got one hand in my pocket
    And the other one is giving a high five" - Alanis Morisette, Hand in My Pocket

I second the Sue Grafton Alphabet Series, the first of which is "A is for Alibi". The main character is Kinsey Milhone, a private detective. I thought they were very good.

Another series author is Diane Mott Davidson. She writes about a caterer who ends up involved in all kinds of mysteries...funny too. And she talks lots about food...

I have also read Sara Paretsky's V I Warshawski series of mysteries, I thought they were very well written. And while they may have a little humor they are more mystery/thriller type books. They take place in the Chicago area.

Another is Iris Johansen's series about a woman, Eve Duncan, who is a forensic sculptor. There are quite a few about her. There is one trilogy which starts with Eve, second is Quinn and third is Bonnie. However, there are more that feature her as the main person. They are very well written, and once again it is mystery/thriller
    EmptyNestMom
    Grandma Pam to 3

"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." – Julia Child

Hunger Games Trilogi.....also the one i've most recently enjoyed is the House of Night series with Zoey Redbird, she's a teenage vampire and it's set in current day. Very entertaining!

I also second Jack Reacher, i'm just finishing up one the latest.
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

It is very light reading but I have loved the Ladies of Covington series by Joan Medlicott:
    http://www.amazon.com/Ladies-Covingt...9970269&sr=8-4

It is a series about three older women who pool their financial resources and make new lives for themselves when their families (and society) expected them to quietly live out their lives alone. There are eight books in the series so far.
    Adopt a shelter cat!
    www.arascolorado.org

You guys are the best! I'm still getting great suggestions...where do I start?

~Gail

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Thanks Gail, I am printing these, I have been following this thread. I never know what to read, so series may be the way to go.
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer