Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you buy Coach bags?

Do you buy Coach bags?

What are your favorite brand of bags?

I am in love with a Coach bag that is $358. Find it expensive but I am ready to splurge for a new bag.

Would you invest in another brand?

What do you think of more expensive brands like LV, Gucci, Chanel, Hermes?
    Helene

''In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is the sign of perfection.''
    -Curnonsky

My Blog: La Cuisine d'Helene

Twitter: @lacuisinehelene

I just don't buy expensive bags. I have some healthy back bags that I spent about $60 for, and that's the most expensive that I have. I need light-weight bags because of shoulder/back problems. One of the things my DM said is to never spend so much money on a purse that you have no money to put into it!

I know that others get a lot of pleasure out of brand-name things, but that's just not as important to me in clothing/accessories as it is in kitchen wares.

I don't spend that much on shoes, either -- in that area, comfort is more important than looks!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

DH got me two from a Coach Outlet...Under $75 if I recall.
    I just got the cutest green pebbled leather at a resale shop in our little town for $22.00 !! WOOOHOOOO.
    I have my eye on a Doony Burke but it is $398 and I am unwilling to spend that much on a purse---unless I win the lottery.
    Sadly too much other stuff to buy for the house!
    Last edited by wallycat; 02-12-2012 at 02:13 PM.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Nope! Most I've ever spent on a bag is $100. I usually find great leather bags at TJ Maxx or Marshall's for under $50.

I used to be a cheap purse person until I got my first Coach about 5 years ago. I have several of them (for different seasons) and I can tell you they hold up really well. The quality is excellent. I usually buy them when they send out coupons (either 25% off or $100 off) so I never paid full price but I havent bought any at the factory stores. I have a few that are cloth and some that are leather and they still look great. My favorite winter purse is a black leather one. If this had been a cheap purse, the color would be worn or cracked by now, but it still looks brand new because the leather is a great quality.

I don't have any of the other brands you mention, so I can't compare.

I can't stand the Coach bags that are cloth. They have some nice leather styles nice - especially their newest "Heritage" styles which hard back to the best years for Coach when Bonnie Cashin designed them.

I think when you get in that price range $300 to $500 for bags, there are some great styles from other brands if you go to a department store with a wide range of designers. I think Coach is overrated as I would opt for other designers before Coach.

I'm a real purse ***** My favorite bag is the Balenciaga City which is the perfect size, weight and functionality for me.

I'm not a huge fan of the Birkin - too structured, stiff and heavy for me. The Hermes Evelyne is a nice bag though for casual.

I hate the Gucci cloth monogram stuff - see Coach above. They have some gorgeous leather bags and I especially like the ones with equestrienne details.

Oh Chanel - fabulous stuff. I like the Wallet on Chain bags.

Vuitton - I'm not fond of the Vuitton monogram stuff except for travel as the stuff is so functional - sturdy but lightweight. THey also make some nice leather bags - especially the ones with the Mahina leather.

No mention of Prada? - they have some gorgeous classic Cervo (deerskin) bags that are timeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe Latte View Post
    I used to be a cheap purse person until I got my first Coach about 5 years ago. I have several of them (for different seasons) and I can tell you they hold up really well. The quality is excellent. I usually buy them when they send out coupons (either 25% off or $100 off) so I never paid full price but I havent bought any at the factory stores. I have a few that are cloth and some that are leather and they still look great. My favorite winter purse is a black leather one. If this had been a cheap purse, the color would be worn or cracked by now, but it still looks brand new because the leather is a great quality.

I don't have any of the other brands you mention, so I can't compare.
    Where do you get the coupons? That sounds good deal at 25% off. I bought a very nice looking brown leather purse at under $100 and it did not take long for the color to vanished, especially in the corners. I was not impressed at all. That's why now I'm looking at quality.
    Helene

-Curnonsky

Quote Originally Posted by helene View Post
    Where do you get the coupons? That sounds good deal at 25% off. I bought a very nice looking brown leather purse at under $100 and it did not take long for the color to vanished, especially in the corners. I was not impressed at all. That's why now I'm looking at quality.
    If you shop department stores - Macy's, Bloomingdales, they all have excellent sales and carry high quality leather goods. If you look for sales and then special sales you can get some really good deals.

Nordstrom sales don't tend to be as good.

Many bags will show fatigue at the corners - especially if they don't have feet on the bottom which helps protect the piping. If the bag is valuable enough, a good shoemaker can restore it.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeMartinGal View Post
    I just don't buy expensive bags. I have some healthy back bags that I spent about $60 for, and that's the most expensive that I have.
    I buy the healthy back bags for everyday shopping. They are really sturdy and you can wash them.

Quote Originally Posted by wallycat View Post
    DH got me two from a Coach Outlet...Under $75 if I recall.
    I just got the cutest green pebbled leather at a resale shop in our little town for $22.00 !! WOOOHOOOO.
    I have my eye on a Doony Burke but it is $398 and I am unwilling to spend that much on a purse---unless I win the lottery.
    Sadly too much other stuff to buy for the house!
    Are Doony Burke good quality? I don't remember seeing them in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by amarante View Post
    I can't stand the Coach bags that are cloth. They have some nice leather styles nice - especially their newest "Heritage" styles which hard back to the best years for Coach when Bonnie Cashin designed them.

I think when you get in that price range $300 to $500 for bags, there are some great styles from other brands if you go to a department store with a wide range of designers. I think Coach is overrated as I would opt for other designers before Coach.

I'm a real purse ***** My favorite bag is the Balenciaga City which is the perfect size, weight and functionality for me.

I'm not a huge fan of the Birkin - too structured, stiff and heavy for me. The Hermes Evelyne is a nice bag though for casual.

I hate the Gucci cloth monogram stuff - see Coach above. They have some gorgeous leather bags and I especially like the ones with equestrienne details.

Vuitton - I'm not fond of the Vuitton monogram stuff except for travel as the stuff is so functional - sturdy but lightweight. THey also make some nice leather bags - especially the ones with the Mahina leather.

No mention of Prada? - they have some gorgeous classic Cervo (deerskin) bags that are timeless.
    Don't like cloth either.

Prada are very nice, a bit expensive like LV and Chanel.

The Balenciaga City is really nice. Again in Canada not affordable.

The reason I'm looking at Coach is that I am looking at a nice orange leather bag for Spring, it's $358 and I can ship to DH in Louisiana. That way I don't pay duties and in Canada I would pay at least double the price for any of these bags.
    Helene

-Curnonsky

I love the quality of Coach leather bags. I bought two classic-style bags, enough years ago that the price will have inflated to $385 in today's prices. I carried them for more than 10 years and they just got softer and more beautiful each year. If you pro-rate the cost that would be only $38.50 a year.
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

Quote Originally Posted by helene View Post
    Coach mails them out. I get them about 3 or 4 times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by ADM View Post
    I love the quality of Coach leather bags. I bought two classic-style bags, enough years ago that the price will have inflated to $385 in today's prices. I carried them for more than 10 years and they just got softer and more beautiful each year. If you pro-rate the cost that would be only $38.50 a year.
    That's a good way to look at it

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe Latte View Post
    Coach mails them out. I get them about 3 or 4 times a year.
    Thanks!
    Helene

-Curnonsky

I just realized that I have seen Coach coupons on ebay. I have never bought one from there, but people do sell them if they don't plan on using them. The coupons also work for mail order too. The last one I got was in January, I think, so I probably wont get another until spring or summer.

I have a Coach outlet near me and I have been able to get two bags at very good prices, <$100. I also love the outlet for little wristlet things which make good gifts for teen girls, at about $25 or so.

I cannot imagine spending more than say, $150 for a bag, even though I have not spent close to that. I do think the Coach quality is better than what I used to buy. I used to get a bag at Kohl's for $30 or 40 and by the end of the season it was tired looking and did not hold up. I have used my Coach bags for 2 seasons and they have plenty of life in them.

It amazes me at the outlet store, it is always busy and people are in there buying 2 or 3 items at a time, and from the looks of their outfits, etc it does not look like they can afford $150/bag.

There is also a Kate Spade outlet and I have just started browsing in there, but I can't bring my self to seriously consider much of her stuff. Even at outlet prices it is still expensive, except the end of season sale. I just got a nice black tote that I can use to carry work and files and it was only $52!
    Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

I would love a Hermes Kelly or Birkin bag...or a Chanel bag! But the prices on those go WAY beyond the average Coach bag. If you can afford them, want to adopt me?

I bought a lovely bag from APC, even though it was on the expensive side. I was pining after it for days, trying to make up my mind, when I saw it went up for sale at half price. I figured it was meant to be.

Quote Originally Posted by amarante View Post

Do you really have any of those bags, or do you just like them. Balenciaga, from what I can tell, sells nothing under $1000!

Reminds me of the time DH and I were in Saks or Bloomies in NYC. I was admiring a Tod's purse from afar (you know how they display them like museum pieces ) and he went back to ask about it, thinking he'd surprise me with it - knowing NOTHING about bag prices.

The salesman said, Oh I saw your wife admiring it. Then DH asked the price and when the salesman said 1250 ("twelve fifty"), DH actually thought he meant $12.50 because he could not fathom a bag that sold for $1250!!

In my life I have had 1 Gucci, 1 Birman, 5 DBs and 2 Coaches. I used wristlets from Coach for a long time before I found a purse that I just loved and bought it 3 years ago. I just haven't found another purse that I want to have since. ))-: Every time I go in to inquire about that style they say, "Oh, yes, the X collection. That was SO popular." But they never bring it back!

If I truly loved a purse, I would buy it on the spot and I just haven't seen one....

Both of my red purses are from Coach...one is leather and the other patent. I can't tell you how many compliments I get on both...people really like them. Bought them on discount...one with the 25% off coupon and the other at Macy's Friends and Family sale. That's the only time Macy's will discount Coach.
    Would I buy a cloth Coach? No, not ever!

I have a LV that I bought 12 years ago...it's still in style and has held up really well. So I feel that was well worth the money.

I do spend money on purses but I'm not the type to switch with every outfit, more like the season, so they take a lot of abuse and I want them to hold up well.

I used to love Coach - way back when they were the plain leather, just good quality. Those were worth it.

Now? Not really my style.

I've gotten away from buying one designer bag to having fun with purses. I pick them up at TJMaxx, etc and switch them out a lot.

Same as CM here. I have a couple of older all leather Coach bags as well as a brief bag that I love -- just don't use any more. They are very good quality, but even those were bought at an outlet store (not sure about the brief bag -- it was a Christmas gift). I haven't spent that kind of money since I stopped working. Then it seemed necessary. Now I shop TJ Maxx, Marshalls and Macy's sales.

Quote Originally Posted by powderrocker View Post
    I definitely would never spend that much on a purse. You definitely should check out the outlets. During Black Friday sales, or any other sale times, there usually is a huge line but you can usually walk out with a great deal. Granted, it might not always be what you want but you do save a lot settling for your 2nd or 3rd choice!
    Life is not about *settling* for 2nd or 3rd choice, if you can afford to buy what you really want! *Settling* or buying something you know you will end up hating is a foolish extravagance!

Choosing between a Roll Royce and a VW Beetle is really a matter of personal priorities and the choice should never be pondered on, or criticized, by others.
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

Check out richard-network.com. It's direct buy from China. I've used it for ugg boots and a coach bag and was pleased for the cost. It is from China, so shipping was expensive, but product at cost. Please no "China" lectures. I'm just putting it out there for those who may be interested, so don't slay me. The Ugg boots could not be discredited as fake. I took mine to a shop and compared product to product. I was skeptical, but it panned out for me. The coach was okay, but I believe I may have picked an older style so I couldn't tell one way or the other, but for the cost I am very pleased. Remember, shipping is a bit high bc it's from China. Shipped to my door in about 10-12 days. I would use it again frankly. Use the tip if you like. A couple of work colleagues used it as well with good results. Believe me I was afraid to give my credit care to "China" and checked on things each day. I got the site from a person who has used it several times, so that helped. You can private message me if you want more details about my individual experience.

Again, just giving the info for anyone who may be interested...not promoting!

Kim

Not knocking anyone's choice to buy products made in China or anywhere else, but but buying "labeled" items from unauthorized dealers is stealing. Whether they are fake or not. If they are not fake, then they are stolen from the company and sold "on the side". Otherwise, they are copies and that is also stealing. Stealing intellecutal property (designs) is still stealing.

Quote Originally Posted by BucknellAlum View Post
    I have a Coach outlet near me and I have been able to get two bags at very good prices, <$100. I also love the outlet for little wristlet things which make good gifts for teen girls, at about $25 or so.

I cannot imagine spending more than say, $150 for a bag, even though I have not spent close to that. I do think the Coach quality is better than what I used to buy. I used to get a bag at Kohl's for $30 or 40 and by the end of the season it was tired looking and did not hold up. I have used my Coach bags for 2 seasons and they have plenty of life in them.

It amazes me at the outlet store, it is always busy and people are in there buying 2 or 3 items at a time, and from the looks of their outfits, etc it does not look like they can afford $150/bag.

There is also a Kate Spade outlet and I have just started browsing in there, but I can't bring my self to seriously consider much of her stuff. Even at outlet prices it is still expensive, except the end of season sale. I just got a nice black tote that I can use to carry work and files and it was only $52!
    Bolded by me--True words, BA! And they must have special Coach leather phermones wafting in the air! A month ago, I went in the Tanger Outlet Coach store near us for the 1st time (after almost 2-3 yrs) with a Coach-rabid friend. The frenzy in that store was insane! There were about 20 people in line checking out and another 30 whirling around. The bags are pretty, but I'm a cheap bag girl (I saw some gorgeous bags at the Wilson Leather store there on sale under $40-50). My friend tried to get me to buy a denimish cloth w/leather trim bag I admired for 5 seconds--it was $325+, with sale/special would have been $130 something. My comment--"I'd rather walk over to that Le Creuset store and spend that $$ there!"
    I'm a Tar Heel born, I'm a Tar Heel bred.....

Most everything I purchase clothing or accessory wise is on sale, clearance, or from a discount store. The most I think I've ever paid for a purse is $20, and even then I wouldn't like spending that much. The purse I'm carrying right now was $5, on clearance at a discount store. I'll probably use it 6-8 months before I need another one.

Perhaps their friends and family put in orders, perhaps they are Christmas shopping, maybe they sell on eBay or have a shop at home where they can mark them up a bit? I don't buy them because it seems like everyone here or their mother has one.

I do have a leather bag that I decided to buy. I was going to pay 398.00 for it. Went to pay and it was 125.00! I was so excited! Have carried it exclusively for three years and no one noticed, until this year and I bet I have gotten 10 compliments on it this summer alone. Go figure! It was a Cole Haan. It has the GREATEST pockets!
    Last edited by jmarie; 06-27-2012 at 02:14 PM.
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

Quote Originally Posted by jmarie View Post
    Perhaps their friends and family put in orders, perhaps they are Christmas shopping, maybe they sell on eBay or have a shop at home where they can mark them up a bit? I don't buy them because it seems like everyone here or their mother has one.

\!
    THere is definitely something going on. The sales people often have to stop the buyers because they have reached their limit (I think the store limits you to X # of certain bags). And the buyers are often men, and usually men for whom English is a second language. I just figure that they are shipping them to their home country where they can be sold at a mark up?

I have 2 Coach purses. They are both black leather. I will only buy them at the outlets. I think the most I paid was $150 if that.

I will say, one of mine is more of a hobo style and its held up great. The other one has a flat bottom with corners and the leather started looking beat up pretty quickly. Also, on that one the zipper is really odd..its super easy to unzip ALL the way so you have to put the zipper back together. Its a PITA, but its a style issue, not a malfunction. But they are still well made and haven't had any hardware/strap etc problems.

Now, even despite all this, I think I'm crazy for owning Coach. Going to try and buy less expensive purses at Kohl's/Macy's. I think if you spend less, you can own a few more and have more wardrobe variety, which I currently don't have.

And I wish more purse companies would start building in those little organizers like Avon.

Helene, I vote buy it! Don't you think you would enjoy that bag? I am pretty frugal, but certain things are worth a splurge especially if you would use it a lot and it would last a long time. Plus they hold their value if you wanted to sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by cookinator View Post
    Helene, I vote buy it! Don't you think you would enjoy that bag? I am pretty frugal, but certain things are worth a splurge
    There are more reasons than style to splurge on some things.

On October 23, 1997 after 30 some years of smoking about 3 packs a day, I quit. I told my husband that after I had quit for a year, I would treat myself to a Coach bag because I would have paid for it with the cost of cigarettes. During that first few months, I pulled a Coach catalog out almost daily and looked at the City Bag in English Tan. When I passed a Coach store I would gaze at the bag and tell myself-only 11 months to go, only 9 months more.

Eventually I stopped thinking about smoking. I quit following strangers down the street to smell the wonderful smell of their cigarette. I stopped using the Coach bag as my reminder of why I was doing this. About a year and a half later, my husband called me from Buffalo where he was on a business trip. He wanted to know the name and color of the bag I wanted.

When he got home, he gave me my Coach City Bag in English Tan. He said he passed a Coach outlet and had to get it for me because he knew that no matter what I promised myself, I would never spend that much on a purse for myself.

I still have the bag. Now I use smaller bags, carry less stuff, but if I need a very classic purse, I have one that feels like a well loved baseball glove. More important, every single time I use it, it reminds me tof that moment when he gave it to me.

Get it if you love it. Enjoy.

Patt
    With all of our running and all of our cunning, If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane...
    "Changes in Attitude, Changes in Latitude" Jimmy Buffet