Community Message Boards

Thread: VRB's week of 17 February 2012

VRB's week of 17 February 2012

Happy new week, all!

I took a quick journey back in time to the end of last week’s thread and:

Cheryl used good discretion in passing her race/ tempo run on Sunday because of black ice. Falling while running is not a good thing!

Les enjoyed greeting the neighborhood dogs while he ran for an hour on Mon, then got in another yesterday as well.

Heather had some nice weather to run 4 miles on Wed and hoped to get in another 3 on the TM.

I meant to stop by last night but ended up spending the evening reading. Did I mention that I got a kindle? It’s wonderful! I have to go to places with wifi access (for now, hopefully) to download books, but it’s so nice to have a lot of reading material to choose from.

Our very short trip to visit my parents’ was fun. I used my Gram’s heart-shaped cake pans (probably from the 1940’s), which I inherited, for the cake. It was double chocolate with a layer of bittersweet chocolate ganache in the middle as well as a raspberry filling, and frosted with a white chocolate buttercream. Oy. Since Mom’s birthday is on Valentine’s Day, we never go out to a restaurant because it’s so crowded, so I also made dinner. But with everybody around it was fun, not at all a chore.

Oh, I got her a kindle too. She has been having eye problems and the bright screen and adjustable font sizes will be a very nice feature for her (she loves to read).

The contractors seem to have disappeared! But it did rain most of yesterday… and maybe they're picking up materials today...

And between rain “events” yesterday, I was able to get in a 3 mile run outside. Muddy, mucky, and prefect conditions for Les!

Actually I alternated walking and running to see how it would affect my back, and it is a little sore today, but not nearly as bad as last night when I had to get out the heating pad. I walked/ ran on the most level trails, and they were soft, so I'm not sure what to think. If I have to get new shoes, though, it certainly won’t be until April (or whenever the trails decide to dry out a bit!).

A wave to Nat, Susan, MinEaston, and our Lurkers… Have a great weekend, everyone!

Oh, Cheryl, tell us how the voting went. I had a few more acquaintances that I contacted about voting for you (maybe it helped?!)
    Last edited by VictoriaL; 02-17-2012 at 09:12 AM.
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

Happy Friday all

Vicci- That sounds like a wonderful birthday cake, what a treat. Sorry to hear that your back is still bothering you after you run. Maybe some more stretching after a run would help?

Well I did get the three in on the TM last night so I was glad about that. This weekend may be a bit tricky though as Saturday is pretty busy right now and Sunday they are predicting a winter mix and somewhere in there I am supposed to do 8 miles this weekend. Here's thinking I need to get up early tomorrow and get it done.

Hope everyone has a great 2 or 3 day weekend.
    Heather

a big thank you to all your support- i won a spot in the fashion show!

les- hope you have a good retreat and sorry to hear about your fridge- reminds me of that commercial where the kids says to his mom that the fridge is peeing- mine is 16 yrs old and i check it often!!

vicci- i have a kindle and love it for travel- mine is one of the older basic models but i love not having to carry so many books esp when flying. on one trip i finished my book with 2 hours left in the flight- i was beside my self and i always take two more books than i think i'll need but i got a lot of reading in on this trip.

heather- we do seem to be getting the icky stuff on the weekends!

i'm running 12 today- 3+ to fleet feet 3+ with the fleet feet sat am group and then 3 home plus enough to get to 12. i also have a facial scheduled for this afternoon- a treat (plus they were running a special discount!) for finishing report cards, parent conferences an intense field trip (all day to the baltimore aquarium- my fave though!) and running 12!

i had a hard week running- intensely tired and women issues- i am really looking forward to todays run! and i got my new road id- i had one of the old velcro ones and hated the way it would pick and rub my long sleeves- my new one is like those lance armstrong be strong bracelets- should be much more comfy-
    Cheryl

Thanks for starting Vicci and thanks for the wrap-up. Sorry your back is a little hinky still. Nice that you got out and I'm glad you thought of me when you played in the mud.
    Heather - Did you get your run in this morning? I hope the wintery mix isn't too bad up there. They are predicting 2-3" here which might be a nightmare.
    Cheryl - It does sound busy for you in the coming days and I hope that you get the workouts in you want. Sorry about the issues and I can imagine how unnerving the Road-id band must have been. I know about the 'fridge thing too - the one that is in my other house was purchased in 1995 when we moved to Texas from Japan. I think this one will be fine for a little while longer because it looks like there's a switch that is sticking that prevents the fridge from restarting and cooling.

Yesterday was a rest day but not that I truly rested. I did sleep in but had to go buy a new fridge (from Lowe's it was the same price as I could have gotten at Direct Buy with delivery). I also did a bit of an upper body workout by cutting the first 6' of ivy off one of my pine trees.

This morning I headed out for 10+ miles - nice run and the rain over the past week has made... MUD A little more work to do around the house today and getting ready for church tomorrow. I really hope the snow doesn't come overnight but I'm ready.

Pictures of the house (come have seen them already) can be found at (sorry Vicci - this will probably suck on dial-up) this link. Yes, the inside is truly schizophrenic.

Happy trails all,
    Les
    Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." Deut. 31:6 (NIV)

Reflections on life and spirituality can be found at https://revles.wordpress.com

Visit my new ministry site: St. John's Episcopal church, Suffolk VA.

Hi everyone! Quick post this morning.

Vicci, that cake sounds amazing!!! Love the idea of your making it in the vintage family pans, too - extra meaningful. Glad the run wasn't too hard on your back! Have fun with the Kindle.

Les, thanks for the photos. Will check them out later. Nice job on the 10 miler.

Cheryl, smart decision to not run if there was a chance of black ice. Such an evil thing, black ice. Congrats on being selected for the fashion show!

Heather, sounds like you're doing well with your runs. Did the weather cooperate for you to get in your 8 miler?

Enjoying some fabulous sun here these past few days. Great for walks. I'm also stepping up the training a bit now, including a run/walk myself the other day (long on the walk and veeeeerrrry short on the run part, but it was a start and felt wonderful!). I realized I probably don't need to do P90X upper body videos as I get a lot of upper body exercise carrying around the little guy He's getting bigger and looking more like a little boy every day - amazing how quickly it's going! I've been keeping the calendar fairly busy with visits from / to friends who want to see Mr. J (and just catch up), and the days are just flying by. How the heck did it get to be almost March??

DH and I are also helping a couple of friends buy their first competitive bikes. Since neither of us needs another good bike (though we pretend we do), it's fun to "shop" for someone else

Hi to MinEaston, Susan, and everyone in lurkland! Has anyone heard anything from Kathy yet???

Take care, all!

Natasha
    Last edited by Natasha; 02-19-2012 at 07:02 AM.
    "If you're not chasing after miracles, what's the point?" The movie Saint Ralph

"What it all comes down to
    Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
    I've got one hand in my pocket
    And the other one is giving a high five" - Alanis Morisette, Hand in My Pocket

Where the heck did this weekend go?!?!?

Heather, did you actually fit in 8 miles this morning? If so, we all salute you!

Congrats Cheryl! When is the fashion show? And, most importantly, when do you get the new duds??? You had a tough week, too-- hope the facial was blissful!

Les, I will save your house link on my kindle to look at when I'm in a wifi area (schizo interior? Must see!)
    Woo-- 10 miles and mud! You must've been beside yourself!
    Lowes delivered our new stove and bath fixtures on Saturday, and I have to say that there is a world of difference between that and the Home Depot delivery a couple of weeks ago-- hope that your fridge is delivered with the same professionalism that we experienced.

Nat is bench-pressing Mr J! Well, not exactly, but sounds like a good idea to use him as an adorable set of weights in addition to starting your running routine back up. He's 7 weeks old already? Time does fly!

The contractors showed up again today-- 2 in a row! Woo hoo!!! I got in 3 miles, mostly running, and did yoga afterward to stretch (I've been lax in the post-run stretching lately, so am hoping that this may help with the back issues....)

Hi to all, does anyone have the third day of a 3-day weekend to look forward to tomorrow?
    Vicci

Quote Originally Posted by Natasha View Post
    I realized I probably don't need to do P90X upper body videos as I get a lot of upper body exercise carrying around the little guy He's getting bigger and looking more like a little boy every day - amazing how quickly it's going!

Natasha

yay for your run! and you are right about the weight training! can you post a pic? i'd love to see him-

vicci- i guess i get to keep the outfit after i model it on may 11- i love nike clothes- fit better than underarmor so i'm going to try to make sure that i get nike stuff

i'm off today so after my coffee going for a 6 mile run and some p90x upper body and abs (gotta get those abs in shape!)
    Cheryl

Congratulations Cheryl on your selection in the fashion show. I knew you'd make it in. Better to not run in black ice - one of the times that trails can be better to run on - but only when it's snow. I hope you enjoyed your day off.
    Vicci - I'm glad your experience with Lowe's was as good as it was. I've only had a couple things delivered by Lowe's and Home Depot. In essence, I'll take the deliver folks from Lowe's all the time. This delivery will be a little different - we have a completely dead refrigerator/freezer in the garage and the sporadic one in the kitchen. I'd like to have them haul the dead one away, move the iffy one to the garage and install the new one in the kitchen. That should be doable - the only issue is coordinating the move to the garage. Hope your stretching helps your back.
    Nat - Glad to hear Mr. J is "growing like a weed" - a nice thing for kids to thrive. I hope you can come back slowly when it comes to your running - I bet your running muscles are a little off after the pregnancy.

Yep Vicci - mud and running makes me uber-happy! I had yesterday off and generally didn't do much. I brushed up on my ASL (I'm taking a class that meets every other Monday evening) then did 7.15 miles before heading to class.

Today and tomorrow may be a bust with regard to exercise. We're hosting our annual Community pancake supper at Church tonight - I've heard from 4 different churches that they are bringing folks by (not including our church) and others from the community. I hope we have enough food (we should) and it would be nice to "beat" last year's numbers.

Need to get to work since I didn't do any "church-land" work yesterday.

Happy trails and a shout out to Kathy (Ou es tu?)

Les
    Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." Deut. 31:6 (NIV)

Reflections on life and spirituality can be found at https://revles.wordpress.com

Happy Tuesday.
    Les- Sorry to hear about the fridge, but it sounds like you were able to get it fixed quickly. The pictures of the house were very nice- looks like it has a lot of nice touches. Are you going to be doing a lot of DIY projects on it? Did you have problems from the storm? And you must be gearing up for a very busy time at church huh? Hope it goes very smoothly

Cheryl- Congrats on the win. You will have to let us know when and where the show is, maybe I can pop in for support. How did 12 miles go? We certainly were sparred by the weather.

Nat- So wonderful to hear Mr J is doing well. The time really does fly by, mine are 8 and 5 and it doesn't seem that long. Hope that easing back into running goes OK.

Vicci- Yeah for the contractors showing up. That is always a plus. Hope the stretching is helping your back.

Well DH and I set the alarm for 6 on Saturday, dragged ourselves out and did our 8 miles. It was a nice run, a little cold at the start, but we got it done. We spent the rest of the morning at Disney on Ice with the boys and my parents, and then we wandered over to the Smithsonian for a while. It was a gorgeous day in DC and I think the extra walking helped stretch our legs. Sunday we got NOTHING!! All that hype and not a single flake. Oh well we were able to get out and do a quick three.
    And speaking of kids growing, my older DS wanted to ride with us and I knew he had outgrown his bike over the winter, but he was able to ride mine with the seat lowered. UGH my boys grow like weeds, I can't keep up

Had the holiday off yesterday, spent it helping DS work on a school project and doing stuff around the house. Today is 4 miles maybe outside if I am lucky.

And here's a question for all of you. I originally thought I would be doing a half marathon in March, but it doesn't work schedule wise. I will probably run one at the earliest in late April/May. How do I adjust my training? We did 8 this past weekend and are planning 9 for this weekend. But how do we back off in the middle and do we add something instead? We do one day of speed work a week and try to fit in 1-2 days of free weights. Any thoughts??
    Thanks.
    Heather

Well. A nice response is typed, and *poof*-- it's gone.
    Let's see if I can remember... hahahahahaha

Cheryl, hope that you had a nice day off yesterday (it certainly wasn't an "idle" one for you, was it?).

Les, I can't imagine that the Lowes delivery guys moving your extra fridge out the the garage would be a problem. When is delivery? My new stove is sitting in my kitchen and I can't wait to get it hooked up to use!

How did the pancake supper go? Friends of mine recently went to their first Episcopalian service and were confused when the parishioners kept inviting them over for pancakes on Tuesday! They thought that it was an every-week kind of thing...

Heather I am jealous. I've wanted to see the Smithsonian (in a nice, leisurely 2- or 3-day span) forever, and you are able to just "wander over" on a Saturday. You got in some good mileage over the weekend. I'll let those more experienced in training answer your question about adjusting for a later race, though.

I got out for 3 miles late this morning. The trails are finally drying out-- and we're expecting rain tonight. Of course. When I came home I showered then did about 20 minutes of yoga. My back is sore tonight, but hopefully will be fine tomorrow (since that's how it went when I tried this same routine earlier this week).
    Vicci

Pancake supper went well. Heather - you can do a later race and I'll give some thoughts tomorrow.

Beat and a busy day tomorrow... I'll be looking at you again sometime tomorrow afternoon.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by hrk View Post

And here's a question for all of you. I originally thought I would be doing a half marathon in March, but it doesn't work schedule wise. I will probably run one at the earliest in late April/May. How do I adjust my training? We did 8 this past weekend and are planning 9 for this weekend. But how do we back off in the middle and do we add something instead? We do one day of speed work a week and try to fit in 1-2 days of free weights. Any thoughts??
    Thanks.
    Heather
    heather- i'm running the outer banks half apr 22/23- i have a plan and if you think it might help i can share with you- i'll type the basics in tonite when i get home
    Cheryl

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.
    Vicci- I hope the back is feeling better this morning. I would be chomping at the bit to get a new stove hooked up.

Les- Glad to hear things went well yesterday. Do you have services today for Ash Wednesday?

Cheryl- I saw the half you are running on a calendar of area runs. Have you ever run it before- is it a nice run?

Well I really did not want to run yesterday, I was tired, but I got on the TM and started and then finished 4 miles at a fairly nice pace.
    Hoping to maybe get outside today as it is supposed to be very spring like. We will see.
    Heather

Cheryl - congrats on winning the fashion show contest!! Very cool. Last week I won a North Face technical shirt in a FB random contest. Very anxious for it to arrive. Haven't won anything in ages

Les - happy Ash Wed :-)

HRK - That's great that you already have such a strong base. By planning for a later race you'll be even more ready for race day.

Natasha - so glad things are going well for you and Mr J. I'm sure it feels great to be doing more and more of your regular exercise routine.

Vicci - wow, what a decadent cake!

We had a fabulous weekend, with me, DH & a few friends doing our very first xc ski race. It was a 10K held at night across Lake Superior :-) They made frozen ice luminaries to light the entire route and had aid stations with bonfires, hot chocolate & cookies. We have hardly had any snow this season, so I didn't train at all. Boy did I feel it! We were much slower than I expected, and my hips & backside are all really sore. But we definitely had a blast. I'm already considering more races for next year.

delurking

First and foremost, presenting my new office mate, Tigre:

As for me, work has been absolutely crazy busy - as big startups tend to be. I've been out on my regular "loop" when I can, and the last time I went out I ran the entire time. I've accepted I can't get out every day, and enjoy the times I can.

Ack! Have to jump on yet another phone meeting. I'll be back later to acknowledge everyone else's efforts!
    There cannot be a crisis today. My schedule is already full.
    -Henry Kissinger

MinEaston, what a cutie Tigre is! I believe that (s)he resembles Merckx, Susan's cat. I will resist the urge to pontificate on the joys of having a pet of the feline persuasion... You will find out, if you have not already!
    Very good idea to enjoy those runs when you can (we all have those super-busy periods).

Susan, I am assuming that Lake Superior is frozen... It's difficult to imagine, with the mild winter we've all been experiencing. Sorry that you're now feeling those not-so-pleasant aftereffects, but it sounds like it was a beautiful way to spend some time.

Four miles when you were tired (and on the TM) is great, Heather. I hope that your day was like ours was here, and you were able to get out and enjoy it.

I ran yesterday, and didn't feel too sore this morning, but just had to get out again today-- 55 degrees and partly sunny on February 22nd! I did another 3 miles, stretched a lot afterward, and hope that the back pain will be mild...

So, when are we going to pay for this wonderful, mild winter? Hopefully not in May!
    Vicci

Dash by in a cloud of dust (or palm ashes)...

I'll check in more directly, probably after getting home. I'm sitting in my office looking out the window at a beautiful sunset. It's been a busy day - did a book study this morning on Made for Goodness: And Why it All Matters by Desmond and Mpho Tutu. Very interesting and a unique take on the whole "good/bad" thing from the perspective of someone who was systematically subjugated and punished by Apartheid. Then the first Ash Wednesday Service (Remember that you are but dust...) from 12-1 and all the other administrative preps for Sunday. Now I'm doing more reading in hopes of nailing down information for my Sunday sermon before starting the second service in about 90 minutes. It's been two long days compounded by a day off on Monday.

Good seeing folks and cats scoot by... happy trails,
    Les

Les- Hope the services went well. I know that Ash Wed is the beginning of lent, but what does the service of day symbolize.

Susan- That race sounds like it was an amazing sight. I am with Vicci in that I can't believe there is a lake frozen anywhere.

MinEaston- Your new cat is adorable. Great job on running when you can.

Vicci- The weather is definitely a motivator isn't it? Hope the back is feeling OK after two days in a row.

Well I didn't get out yesterday as DS needed help on his project. He had to read a biography about a famous person, then write his own summary about it, put together a poster about the person and present it all on Friday. This is his first time doing a big project like this and he has one picture left to put on the poster. He has worked so hard and I am just so proud of him, glad to give up my run for it.

So I settled for a quick 3 on the TM followed by some lifting. It was a good session and I am feeling just a little soreness this morning, which is good.
    Hoping to get in one more quick run tonight and then take tomorrow off.
    Heather

HRK - I can definitely imagine how proud you must be! What famous person did he select?

MinEaston - Tigre is gorgeous!! Startups are so fun, but it's been ages since I've worked at one. What does your co do?

Vicci - wow, you have an amazing memory of Merckx!

Les - That book sounds fantastic

I've been getting consistent runs in this week, mainly b/c Bode needs exercise every day & DH dropped a car battery on his big toe Mon night. Doh! Poor guy is limping & will lose his big toenail. I got a book last year called Fixing Your Feet, and it is coming in handy. We are going on a ski vacation next week, and he is bound & determined to not let this injury stop him.

We've got a new and working fridge! Nice to have ice dropping and cool temps!

Susan - the book is great and stirs a lot of good energy for reflection and pondering. Yuck to drop a battery on your toe. YUCK!

Heather - The Ash Wednesday service is a little bit like Yom Kippur (but not really). We go to church at the beginning of Lent and the day is one that we're supposed to slow down and think about how we can better order our lives to live closer to God.

A shout out to the remainder of the group. I'm still trying to reconnect with myself with all the different things that went on this week - sign language class, pancake supper, Ash Wednesday, and a new fridge.

Happy trails and I'll see you later (maybe).
    Les