Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's for dinner tonight?

What's for dinner tonight?

I thought I would start another thread since it's not the weekend. The kids and some friends are coming over for dinner tonight. I am making:

frickadellin[sp?][German] those meat loaf hand grenades
    mushroom gravy
    mashed potatoes
    twice baked cauliflower
    salad
    mini cherry cheesecakes
    lemon buttermilk pie
    The desserts are in honor of Pres. Washington and what I think Lincoln might have eaten:

And you?

Chicken Soup Noodles!
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

I'm making Cincinnati Chili from Cook's Illustrated.

Bean burritos. Not something that's in my usual rotation, giving them a try.

http://kitchensimplicity.com/spicy-bean-burritos/

Leftovers! Very nice soup...choice of Muligatawny or Chicken Tortilla...
    EmptyNestMom
    Grandma Pam to 3

“Other creatures receive food simply as fodder. But we take the raw materials of the earth and work with them—touch them, manipulate them, taste them, glory in their heady smells and colors, and then, through a bit of alchemy, transform them into delicious creations.”
    ― Judith Jones, The Tenth Muse: My Life in Food

Having Our Best Bites' Citrus-Pomegranate Quinoa Salad (with strawberries in place of the pom, because I couldn't find any in the 3 stores I went to ) alongside grilled chicken breast!
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!
    http://massachuseats.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea_2 View Post
    I'm making Cincinnati Chili from Cook's Illustrated.
    Would you mind posting the recipe? I had one, but who knows where it is.

Dh is cooking, so batter fried salt cod, skorthalia (greek garlic mashed potatoes), beets with vinegar. And a bottle of wine from the greek deli. We've been trying to make this meal all weekend, but either one of the kids was gone or someone was sick.
    ______

Elizabeth

Walking Towards Wellness, my personal challenge to walk 10,000 steps per day in 2014 while living with and managing a chronic illness. Walk with me.

Quote Originally Posted by vbak View Post
    Would you mind posting the recipe? I had one, but who knows where it is.
    Is this the recipe?
    http://porterhouse.typepad.com/porte...nati-chil.html
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam

I thought I would start another thread since it's not the weekend. The kids and some friends are coming over for dinner tonight. I am making:

twice baked cauliflower
    Would you mind sharing your recipe?

I am making Bistro Chicken & Roasted Potatoes from CL 3/99
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/bist...0000000640194/

Quote Originally Posted by swedish cook View Post
    That one is not quite the same as the original. Looks like some modifications were made to it. I'll post the one I made when I get home from work.

I have a drawer full of herbs so have just added chimichurri to the list for tonight. I picked up some beautiful baby lettuces from a farm stand so tomorrow will be ribeye w/chimichurri and salad
    http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/20...michurri-sauce
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Grilled fish tacos pan seared with chipotle powder, cumin, oregano, coriander
    Jalapeno cilantro crema
    Pineapple brown rice
    Guacamole
    Tomato, green onion and cilantro salsa

The tortillas were made this morning and i got to the tortilleria just as they were coming off the machine.
    With all of our running and all of our cunning, If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane...
    "Changes in Attitude, Changes in Latitude" Jimmy Buffet

frickadellin[sp?][German] those meat loaf hand grenades
    mushroom gravy
    mashed potatoes
    twice baked cauliflower
    salad
    mini cherry cheesecakes
    lemon buttermilk pie
    The desserts are in honor of Pres. Washington and what I think Lincoln might have eaten:

And you?
    I want to eat at your house!

We had crock pot Santa Fe chicken (not the one that was posted here a few years ago). It was really flavorful and light.

My DH cooked tonight and made a New England fish chowder. It was delicious: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/new..._fish_chowder/

Holly, let's see if this will work. It's not lite, I'm sure you could use 1/2&1/2, but it might curdle if not full fat. I put this into the oven after mashing to finish it off with the cheese on top. One of my faves. I cook it on the stove rather than the micro. I also just mashed it. The updates are not my notes.

Ingredients:

1 head of cauliflower
    1/3 cup heavy cream
    2 Tbl butter
    2 ounces dubliner or other sharp cheese
    salt and pepper to taste

Clean and trim the cauliflower, breaking it into medium sized pieces. Place in a microwave safe bowl with 1/3 cup of cream and 1 Tbl of butter. Microwave, uncovered, on high for five minutes. Stir to coat cauliflower with cream/butter mixture. Microwave for another 4 minutes on high. Remove from the microwave and put into a high speed blender or food processor with the rest of the butter and the cheese. Puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. You can adjust the cream and butter to your preference. Mmm, mmm, good!

** Update: I made this for lunch and I'm eating it now - bliss! I realized that Dubliner Irish Cheese may not be available everywhere so I made this batch with extra sharp white cheddar and it's just as yummy! So if you can't find the Dubliner or just don't want to pay the extra for it, go for the extra sharp cheddar - easier to find and tastes great!

*** 2nd Update: I've made this sooo many times now and still love it! Some posters have complained about graininess and that may be from your cheese not melting if your cauli is cooling off during the processing time. I've been popping it back in the microwave for a minute AFTER I blend everything together and it makes a huge difference. Try it!

And here's another one from Kalyn's Kitchen.

Twice Baked Cauliflower
    (Makes 6-8 servings; recipe adapted slightly from The Low Carb Gourmet.)

Ingredients:
    1 large head cauliflower
    4 oz. low fat cream cheese (do not use fat free)
    1/2 cup low fat sour cream (do not use fat free)
    1/4 cup minced green onions
    1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (If you only have finely grated Parmesan, use a bit less)
    6 slices bacon, cooked until very crisp, fat blotted with paper towel and then crumbled
    1 cup reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
    (I used Kraft 2% milk sharp cheddar)

Instructions:
    Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Cut out stem and core from cauliflower, and cut into small pieces. Cook in large pot of boiling salted water until cauliflower is tender, but not overly soft. Drain well and mash with potato masher, leaving some chunks. Mix in light cream cheese, light sour cream, green onion, Parmesan, and 3/4 of the crumbled bacon.

Spread evenly in a medium-sized glass casserole dish. Sprinkle with low-fat cheddar cheese and reserved bacon. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.

P

Quote Originally Posted by lindrusso View Post
    My DH cooked tonight and made a New England fish chowder. It was delicious: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/new..._fish_chowder/
    Isaw your chowder on Pinterest. Looks good.

I looked on the Cook's Illustrated website, and the Cincinnati Chili recipe posted there appears to be the one that Swedish Cook posted the link for. I used a Cook's Illustrated "Soups & Stews" magazine though, and the recipe is a bit different.

The magazine version didn't list any toppings in the directions, so I didn't buy those since I didn't see them. I ended up just chopping up some onions, and using some Monterey Jack cheese from the fridge. I did make some spaghetti, but didn't use butter. It didn't need it. We really liked this recipe! Now I'm curious to try the online version though.

Here is the one I made:

Cincinnati Chili

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    2 medium onions, chopped fine
    1 medium garlic clove, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 teaspoon)
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    1 tablespoon dried oregano
    1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
    Table salt
    ¾ teaspoon black pepper
    ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
    2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    2 cups canned tomato sauce
    2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
    1½ pounds 85 percent lean ground beef

Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Cook onions until soft and browned around edges, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, tomato paste, chili powder, oregano, cinnamon, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and allspice and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in broth, tomato sauce, vinegar, and sugar.

Add beef and stir to break up meat. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until chili is deep brown and slightly thickened, 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and serve with spaghetti, cheese, onions and/or kidney beans. (Chili can be refrigerated in airtight container for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 2 months.)

Holly, let's see if this will work. It's not lite, I'm sure you could use 1/2&1/2, but it might curdle if not full fat. I put this into the oven after mashing to finish it off with the cheese on top. One of my faves. I cook it on the stove rather than the micro. I also just mashed it. The updates are not my notes.
    Thanks - this looks delish! I'll try it soon.

In an effort to use some garden veggies and phyllo dough from the freezer, I am making a beet and goat cheese strudel which I'm going to serve on top of creamed leeks. I am looking forward to it!

As I live by myself, I'll probably eat it at the coffee table while sipping a glass of Pinot noir and watching The Rum Diary. Looking forward to that too!

DogLady- that sounds delicious!

Today I have absolutely no idea. Maybe French onion soup and a salad.

Quote Originally Posted by swedish cook View Post
    This is the version I've made before from the cookbook. Really, really good. DH goes crazy over this stuff. Blanching the beef is a bit of a pain, but I've always done it. Might have to try not blanching next time and see how it turns out. I always make extra and freeze it for another time. It also works well for making chili dogs and topping baked potatoes, if you want to make the leftovers a little different.
    Cheryl-If I was organized, I'd be dangerous.

Bolognese. Salad. Should be great

vbak,
    Thanks, I can't take credit for the idea though. I was on the web and read a menu from a restaurant in Innsbruck Austria. Saw that menu item and thought... Hmm, I have all the ingredients for that! I don't even have to pick up one thing at the store.
    I hope it turns out as yummy as it sounds!

We had Greek style burger kabobs, cauliflower soup, baked squash, flatbread, and salad.
    Anne

Thanks for posting the Skyline chili recipe. I had one[can't find it], and I used bittersweet chocolate in it. I didn't blanch the meat either. I will definitely try it. I have had the real deal and I like it.

Anne, I made Greek style turkey burgers last week. How do you do your burger kebabs?

I used about 1.5 pounds of venison burger, mixed it with half a finely chopped large onion, thyme, and a little salt and pepper. I formed the mix into about 1 inch balls, stripped most of the leaves off some rosemary (the b-b-q type plant), and smooshed the burger around the rosemary in about 3 inch flattened 'sausages'. I threaded a few vegetables on the ends. I roasted them in the oven at about 425 or 450 until they were done - it didn't take long. Normally I would have served these with tatziki, oven roasted rosemary potatoes, and other Greek-type food but this dinner was more of a clean out the fridge project.
    Anne

Bar-b-q type plant? Did I read that correctly? If so, I have never heard of that.

It is a rosemary plant that was bred to grow long straight (upright) branches. I'ts official name is something along the lines of 'Rosemary officionalis barbeque'. It imparts a wonderful flavor to kebabs and you can use most of the leaves you strip off for other dishes. I bought a plant last summer and have been quite pleased that it has stayed alive and growing on my windowsill.
    Last edited by Anne; 02-21-2012 at 06:09 PM.
    Anne