Community Message Boards

Thread: A List of Sugar Free/Salt Free Penzey' Spice Blends

A List of Sugar Free/Salt Free Penzey' Spice Blends

Hi everyone, I requested this list yesterday for my brother. He is diabetic and few months ago started Dr. Atkins diet. I want to send him some Penzey's spice blends to make what he can eat taste better, and who can do that better than.........

Here is the list I just received. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Here is a list of our sugar free seasonings. The ones that have (SF) are also salt free.

Arizona Dreaming (SF)
    Adobo Seasoning (SF)
    Apple Pie Spice (SF)
    Baking Spice (SF)
    Bangkok Blend (SF)
    BBQ 3000
    Barbecue of the Americas
    Bavarian-Style Seasoning (SF)
    Black & Red Spice (SF)
    Bouquet Garni (SF)
    Bratwurst Sausage Seasoning
    Cake Spice (SF)
    California-Style Seasoned Pepper (SF)
    Celery Salt
    Chesapeake Bay Seasoning
    Chinese Five Spice Seasoning (SF)
    Regular Chili Powder (SF)
    Medium Hot Chili Powder (SF)
    Hot Chili Powder (SF)
    Chili Con Carne Seasoning (SF)
    Chili 3000 (SF)
    Chili 9000 (SF)
    Corned Beef Spices (SF)
    Fajita Seasoning
    Penzeys Forward! (SF)
    Fines Herbes (SF)
    Florida Seasoned Pepper (SF)
    Fox Point Seasoning
    French Four Spice (SF)
    Balti Seasoning (SF)
    Hot Curry Powder (SF)
    Garam Masala (SF)
    Maharajah Curry Powder (SF)
    Rogan Josh (SF)
    Sweet Curry Powder (SF)
    Tandoori Seasoning (SF)
    Vindaloo Seasoning (SF)
    Garlic Salt
    Greek Seasoning
    Herbes de Provence (SF)
    Italian Herb Mix (SF)
    33rd & Galena (SF)
    Jerk Pork Seasoning (SF)
    Lamb Seasoning (SF)
    Mulling Spices (SF)
    Mural of Flavor (SF)
    European Style Peppercorns (SF)
    Four Peppercorn Blend (SF)
    Mignonette Pepper (SF)
    Shallot-Pepper Seasoning
    Lemon Pepper Seasoning
    Szechuan Pepper Salt
    Northwoods Seasoning
    Northwoods Fire Seasoning
    Ozark Seasoning
    Parisien Bonnes Herbes (SF)
    Pasta Sprinkle (SF)
    Pickling Spice (SF)
    Pork Chop Seasoning
    Poultry Seasoning (SF)
    Pumpkin Pie Spice (SF)
    Sandwich Sprinkle
    Shallot Salt
    Shrimp & Crab Boil Spices (SF)
    Singapore Seasoning (SF)
    Southwest Seasoning
    Sunny Paris Seasoning (SF)
    Sunny Spain Seasoning (SF)
    Trinidad Lemon Garlic Marinade
    Tsardust Memories
    Turkish Seasoning
    Venison Sausage Seasoning
    Tuscan Sunset (SF)
    Zatar
    Chicken Taco Seasoning

Jenna at Penzeys

Thanks for this list, Cookieee. It's amazing the number of heart healthy recipes that can be generated with these spice mixes

Quote Originally Posted by margeslp View Post
    Thanks for this list, Cookieee. It's amazing the number of heart healthy recipes that can be generated with these spice mixes
    Your welcome Now comes the dilemma I don't know what people with diabetes can eat. Back to research

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    Your welcome Now comes the dilemma I don't know what people with diabetes can eat. Back to research
    I think all of us, diabetic or not benefit from low/no sugar and salt free. Look at all the fantastic flavors you can generate in dishes.

I would ask your brother what a dietician has said. I personally would not go on the Atkins diet. I thought that was pretty well discredited and passe.

Mural of Flavor and Tuscan Sunset have received good reviews here.

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007 View Post
    The seasoning blends from Penzey's are great for veggies. My favorites are Mural of Flavor, Tuscan Sunset, Cajun, Greek, Trinidad and Bold Taco. A quick sautee with a tiny bit of olive oil and the chosen seasoning is great. Balsamic vinegar or a citrus juice is another good choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieO View Post
    One of my recent favorites is the Mural of Flavor salt-free seasoning. Literally use it instead of salt. I just made a batch of potato-leek soup tonight and added a tsp of "mural" along with a pinch of celery seed. You can't believe what a flavor boost it gives!
    Last edited by swedish cook; 02-22-2012 at 02:40 PM.
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam

Quote Originally Posted by swedish cook View Post
    Mural of Flavor and Tuscan Sunset have received good reviews here.
    Thank you, put them on my list.

My favorites: I love Mural of Flavor and Tuscan Sunset. I use those in/on everything. Mural is great on popcorn too. Others that I like include Arizona Dreaming, California seasoned pepper, Sunny Paris, Sunny Spain, Chili 9000, pasta sprinkle, and Italian seasoning. I also like fox point but that does have salt.

I DO NOT like the new Forward and 33rd & Galena seasonings. They have too much paprika for my tastes.

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by karen w View Post
    My favorites: I love Mural of Flavor and Tuscan Sunset. I use those in/on everything. Mural is great on popcorn too. Others that I like include Arizona Dreaming, California seasoned pepper, Sunny Paris, Sunny Spain, Chili 9000, pasta sprinkle, and Italian seasoning. I also like fox point but that does have salt.

I DO NOT like the new Forward and 33rd & Galena seasonings. They have too much paprika for my tastes.

Karen
    Thank you Karen, on the list

Thanks for posting cookiee. I've not been a fan of blends, primarly because of sodium issues. This list may be the jump start I need to try some blends. Foxpoint and Northwoods seem to have received a lot of positive review on this board and I like the names.
    Anne

Here is a list of our sugar free seasonings. The ones that have (SF) are also salt free.

Arizona Dreaming (SF)
    Adobo Seasoning (SF)
    Apple Pie Spice (SF)
    Baking Spice (SF)
    Bangkok Blend (SF)
    Bavarian-Style Seasoning (SF)
    Black & Red Spice (SF)
    Bouquet Garni (SF)
    Cake Spice (SF)
    California-Style Seasoned Pepper (SF)
    Chinese Five Spice Seasoning (SF)
    Regular Chili Powder (SF)
    Medium Hot Chili Powder (SF)
    Hot Chili Powder (SF)
    Chili Con Carne Seasoning (SF)
    Chili 3000 (SF)
    Chili 9000 (SF)
    Corned Beef Spices (SF)
    Fajita Seasoning
    Penzeys Forward! (SF)
    Fines Herbes (SF)
    Florida Seasoned Pepper (SF)
    French Four Spice (SF)
    Balti Seasoning (SF)
    Hot Curry Powder (SF)
    Garam Masala (SF)
    Maharajah Curry Powder (SF)
    Rogan Josh (SF)
    Sweet Curry Powder (SF)
    Tandoori Seasoning (SF)
    Vindaloo Seasoning (SF)
    Herbes de Provence (SF)
    Italian Herb Mix (SF)
    33rd & Galena (SF)
    Jerk Pork Seasoning (SF)
    Lamb Seasoning (SF)
    Mulling Spices (SF)
    Mural of Flavor (SF)
    European Style Peppercorns (SF)
    Four Peppercorn Blend (SF)
    Mignonette Pepper (SF)
    Parisien Bonnes Herbes (SF)
    Pasta Sprinkle (SF)
    Pickling Spice (SF)
    Poultry Seasoning (SF)
    Pumpkin Pie Spice (SF)
    Shrimp & Crab Boil Spices (SF)
    Singapore Seasoning (SF)
    Sunny Paris Seasoning (SF)
    Sunny Spain Seasoning (SF)
    Tuscan Sunset (SF)

Jenna at Penzeys
    I deleted the ones that are sugar free but have salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    Thanks for posting cookiee. I've not been a fan of blends, primarly because of sodium issues. This list may be the jump start I need to try some blends. Foxpoint and Northwoods seem to have received a lot of positive review on this board and I like the names.
    But........they both have salt.

I see that now cookieee, thanks. I didn't read the list carefully enough the first time. I guess that's why I haven't bought them yet.
    Anne

Thank you for both lists. I sent them to my sister who watches sugar and salt intake carefully. There are a number of wonderful flavors that have neither and she appreciated what I sent from you gals.

Thank you for both lists. I sent them to my sister who watches sugar and salt intake carefully. There are a number of wonderful flavors that have neither and she appreciated what I sent from you gals.
    Your welcome and thank you, I was hoping others would appreciate the lists. Penzey's used to list everything in their spices, but now it seems to be a secret. . My philosophy in life has always been "it never hurts to ask".

Your welcome and thank you, I was hoping others would appreciate the lists. Penzey's used to list everything in their spices, but now it seems to be a secret. . My philosophy in life has always been "it never hurts to ask".
    My Sis is an MD an OVERANALIZER. I have read every post here and could at least tell her about quality of this product and that SF data, Best I could do

My Sis is an MD an OVERANALIZER. I have read every post here and could at least tell her about quality of this product and that SF data, Best I could do
    I know what you mean. If she has anything to say about the list, would love to know.

I know what you mean. If she has anything to say about the list, would love to know.
    Lord knows she will expound on that issue Will let you know.
    I have never heard anything but great comments on this product (all from CL board) I have made up a number of salt free mixes myself that I put in everyone's Xmas stocking. I think the list was great for directing us when we need content info

About Penzeys

Hello everyone.

If you have access to Penzeys catalog, which I believe you can also look at online, there is something that indicates for each spice if it is salt free or not. Also, ingredients are listed from greatest amount to least amount. So if salt isn't listed as the first few ingredients you know it's not a major component of any blend.

Foxpoint is a suburb of Milwaukee, which is where Penzeys headquarters is located. Actually they are in a suburb of Milwaukee, Wauwatosa. The blend however was created when the family owned a small spice shop in Milwaukee many years ago.

Northwoods is how Wisconsinites refer to the northern part of Wisconsin, which is a heavy vacation / recreation area. There are other blends (Galena St, 33rd & Galena) that refer to other areas of Milwaukee.

Quote Originally Posted by PenzeyLiker View Post
    Hello everyone.

If you have access to Penzeys catalog, which I believe you can also look at online, there is something that indicates for each spice if it is salt free or not. Also, ingredients are listed from greatest amount to least amount. So if salt isn't listed as the first few ingredients you know it's not a major component of any blend.

Foxpoint is a suburb of Milwaukee, which is where Penzeys headquarters is located. Actually they are in a suburb of Milwaukee, Wauwatosa. The blend however was created when the family owned a small spice shop in Milwaukee many years ago.

Northwoods is how Wisconsinites refer to the northern part of Wisconsin, which is a heavy vacation / recreation area. There are other blends (Galena St, 33rd & Galena) that refer to other areas of Milwaukee.
    Hi, Welcome to the BB!!! You are in the right place if you really like Penzey's. Hope you will stick around and partake of our friendly, helpful, knowledgeable community we have here. Thank you for sharing your knowledge about Penzeys.

bumping