Community Message Boards

Thread: Restaurant Etiquette Help

Restaurant Etiquette Help

My husband and I are away and staying in a vacation rental. We had a few problems and in order to make up for it, the owner has graciously invited us to dinner at his favorite restaurant, he will not be present. He said the owner of the restaurant has been informed and to go there and have whatever we want. Of course we'll be reasonable My question is, are we supposed to provide the tip or would he be paying for this also, since we're invited guests. We don't mind leaving a tip but if he's already paying it's probably not necessary to pay double. How would you handle this?

In cases like that I would leave a cash tip.

I would also leave a cash tip for the server. I think it shows that, although your meal was taken care of, you appreciated the time and service of the waiter/waitress. Plus, I would always wonder if my server actually did receive a tip in the end. I'd much rather that s/he have a double tip than none at all.

I agree with the others.

Since the owner is taking care of the finances, he or she should be aware of whether the waiter has been tipped because they would have to add it to the amount to be paid.

Of course, the waiter could lie but I am going to assume most people are honest.

I would definitely leave a tip.

Thanks everyone, I'm glad I asked. We'll definitely leave a nice tip!