Community Message Boards
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 47 of 47

Thread: Cooking Game of the Week #38 02/23/12

  1. #31
    This is what I made for breakfast this morning. I bought chia seeds at the beginning of the year and have been having fun trying out different recipes that include them. These pancakes were really yummy! I used white whole wheat flour but think that traditional whole wheat would be just as good here. Topped mine off with a little pure maple syrup & some more chia seeds.

    I'm off from work on Mondays so its usually a big cooking day for me, so I'll be back later tonight to share another recipe that I'm making for dinner.

    Honey Whole Wheat Chia Seed Pancakes
    from Peanut Butter Fingers blog
    Makes 8 – 10 pancakes

    •1 c. whole wheat flour
    •1/2 c. old fashioned oats
    •1 c. milk
    •1 egg
    •1 tbsp. canola oil
    •2 tbsp. honey
    •1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
    •1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
    •1/4 tsp. salt
    •1 tbsp. chia seeds (plus more for garnish)
    •Syrup or other desired toppings

    Spray griddle or pan with cooking spray and heat to a medium heat
    Beat egg and add milk and oil
    In a separate bowl, combine flour, oats, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder and salt
    Slowily stir flour mixture into egg mixture
    Add honey and stir until combined
    At the last minute, stir in chia seeds
    Pour 1/4 c. portions of batter onto griddle and cook until edges of pancakes start to bubble and bottoms are light brown
    Flip and cook until centers are completely done (about three to four minutes)
    Top with syrup, additional chia seeds or desired toppings and enjoy
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!
    http://massachuseats.com/

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Boca Raton, Florida
    Posts
    11,359
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell18 View Post
    This is what I made for breakfast this morning. I bought chia seeds at the beginning of the year and have been having fun trying out different recipes that include them. These pancakes were really yummy! I used white whole wheat flour but think that traditional whole wheat would be just as good here. Topped mine off with a little pure maple syrup & some more chia seeds.

    I'm off from work on Mondays so its usually a big cooking day for me, so I'll be back later tonight to share another recipe that I'm making for dinner.

    Honey Whole Wheat Chia Seed Pancakes
    from Peanut Butter Fingers blog
    Makes 8 – 10 pancakes
    Hi Reb.

    Thank you for a first time ingredient recipe (I think)

    Can't wait to see what you make for dinner.

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    Hi Reb.

    Thank you for a first time ingredient recipe (I think)

    Can't wait to see what you make for dinner.
    This morning's recipe - and tonight's dinner recipe - were both rescued from the depths of my to try folder!

    My house smells great after making this Hearty, Healthy Chili for dinner! It is chock full of veggies - tons and ton of veggies - and chicken breast and two kinds of beans too. It was a nice change from the usual chili I make, which uses ground beef. I added almost a whole tablespoon of cayenne to my batch and it has a wonderful heat to it.

    Notes in parenthesis are the blogger's.

    Healthy, Hearty Chili
    from Fit In Heels blog

    3 to 4 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3-4) or thighs (about 6-7)- omit this if you want vegetarian chili
    -3 to 4 tomatoes, chopped
    -1 medium onion, chopped
    -3 stalks of celery, chopped
    -2 carrots or about 20 baby carrots, chopped
    -2 zucchinis (one chopped and one grated- this adds amazing texture to the chili and is a sneaky way to add in extra nutrients!)
    -1 can red kidney beans, rinsed (you can really pick any bean that you'd like! The red bean works with the colour of the chili)
    -1 can chick peas, rinsed
    -1/2 to 1 jar (I use the fresh stuff so it's in a container) of your favourite salsa
    -1 jar of strained tomatoes (you can use one jar of your favourite tomato sauce, instead- but using strained tomatoes makes this recipe more "clean". Sometimes, I use half a jar of strained tomatoes and half a jar of my favourite tomato sauce!)
    -2 tbsp chili powder
    -1 tbsp cumin
    -1 tbsp oregano
    -1/2 tbsp basil
    -Dollop of plain greek yogurt, to serve
    -Sprinkle of grated cheese, to serve
    *For spicier chili, add 1/2 to 1 tbsp cayenne pepper

    Put all ingredients into your slow cooker and cook for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high. If you'll be around, give it a stir at about halfway. If not, give the ingredients a quick stir before you leave! When the chili is cooked, break up the chicken into smaller pieces. It should break apart easily!
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!
    http://massachuseats.com/

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Boca Raton, Florida
    Posts
    11,359
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell18 View Post
    This morning's recipe - and tonight's dinner recipe - were both rescued from the depths of my to try folder!

    My house smells great after making this Hearty, Healthy Chili for dinner! It is chock full of veggies - tons and ton of veggies - and chicken breast and two kinds of beans too. It was a nice change from the usual chili I make, which uses ground beef. I added almost a whole tablespoon of cayenne to my batch and it has a wonderful heat to it.

    Notes in parenthesis are the blogger's.

    Healthy, Hearty Chili
    from Fit In Heels blog
    Boy!!!!! look at all that healthy stuff. No guilt feelings here.!!!!!

    Thanks Reb, I love the idea it is also a slow cooker recipe. Mmmmmm, giving me some ideas.

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    Boy!!!!! look at all that healthy stuff. No guilt feelings here.!!!!!

    Thanks Reb, I love the idea it is also a slow cooker recipe. Mmmmmm, giving me some ideas.
    Hehe, I am trying SO hard to eat well during the week so that I can splurge on the weekends! But darn is it tough, cuz I like everything that's not too healthy.

    I rarely use the slow cooker so it was nice to break it out! So, if you have any fabulous ideas, do share!
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!
    http://massachuseats.com/

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Posts
    3,033
    I dug into my To-Try file last night and came up with the Hot and Sour Cabbage recipe posted below. It was okay, but not anything truly special ... as a hot main dish, that is, with tofu added for protein and served with noodles. I think it might do better cold as a salad. Anyway, I claim a Double-H for this one, since the chef's name is Deh-Ta Hsiung.

    Cheers,
    Phoebe

    Hot and Sour Cabbage
    Servings: 2

    1/4 cabbage head, cut in 1/2" squares
    2/3 dried chili pepper, finely chopped
    1 tsp oil
    4 Szechuan peppercorns
    1/3 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp sesame oil
    2 tsp light soy sauce
    1 Tbs rice vinegar
    1 1/2 tsp sugar

    Mix together the sauce (soy sauce, vinegar, and sugar) and set aside. Heat the oil until smoking. Add the chili pepper and peppercorns to flavor the oil, and before they start to burn, quickly add the cabbage and stir-fry for about 2 minutes or until limp. Add the salt and continue stirring for another minute. Pour in the sauce mixture, blend well, and continue stirring for 2 more minutes. Add the sesame oil and stir a few more times. Serve hot or cold.

    Source
    Author: Deh-Ta Hsiung
    Source: The Chinese Kitchen

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,145
    Hot and Sour Cabbage[/B] recipe posted below. It was okay, but not anything truly special ... as a hot main dish, that is, with tofu added for protein and served with noodles. I think it might do better cold as a salad.

    When I first glanced at this I thought, great! another way to use up some of my cabbages. Maybe not. Was it overall lacking flavor or was something off? Did you have left overs to try as a cold salad?
    Anne

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Boca Raton, Florida
    Posts
    11,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohioan View Post
    I dug into my To-Try file last night and came up with the Hot and Sour Cabbage recipe posted below. It was okay, but not anything truly special ... as a hot main dish, that is, with tofu added for protein and served with noodles. I think it might do better cold as a salad. Anyway, I claim a Double-H for this one, since the chef's name is Deh-Ta Hsiung.

    Cheers,
    Phoebe

    Hot and Sour Cabbage
    Servings: 2
    Perfect timing. DH is just getting into sesame oil. Double H Award for Phoebe

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Posts
    3,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    Hot and Sour Cabbage recipe posted below. It was okay, but not anything truly special ... as a hot main dish, that is, with tofu added for protein and served with noodles. I think it might do better cold as a salad.

    When I first glanced at this I thought, great! another way to use up some of my cabbages. Maybe not. Was it overall lacking flavor or was something off? Did you have left overs to try as a cold salad?
    It wasn't so much that it lacked overall flavor as that the flavors somehow didn't come together completely -- or didn't quite fit a hot main dish, sort of like eating a salad heated up as a main dish. I wish I had saved some to try as a salad, but alas, it didn't occur to me.

    Cheers,
    Phoebe

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,139
    I played! I copied the recipe from Food & Wine's website, so I didn't have to type the whole thing. The directions are a little different in the book (Fennel first, for 10 minutes, then add onion and garlic and cook over lowest heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. After adding broth and beans, bring to a boil then simmer for 1 hour.).

    In the book she also gives an option using kale, which I didn't have. So I added some fresh spinach to the soup and just sprinkled with grated Parm, no crusty bread.

    Very good. I will make it again!

    White Bean Soup
    My Father's Daughter by Gwyneth Paltrow
    (recipe copied from Food & Wine)


    This soup goes back, as Gwyneth Paltrow writes in My Father's Daughter, to a French restaurant called La Serre in Los Angeles where she used to eat with her father. "I've always loved the idea of French onion soup," Gwyneth says, "without actually liking the soup itself." She cooks the onions slowly with fennel and lots of garlic, makes the soup with vegetable stock and sets the filled bowls under the broiler topped with a slice of toasted bread and a generous handful of grated cheese.



    Ingredients
    3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing and drizzling
    1 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced
    1 large onion, thinly sliced
    2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
    1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
    Two 14-ounce cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
    1 quart vegetable stock or broth
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    Six 3/4-inch-thick slices of sourdough bread
    2/3 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

    Directions

    In a large soup pot, heat the 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the fennel, onion and garlic, cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Uncover and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the fennel and onion are lightly browned, about 15 minutes longer.
    Add the crushed red pepper and oregano and cook for 1 minute. Add the beans and stock and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper and simmer over moderately low heat until the stock is slightly reduced and the soup is chunky, about 30 minutes. Spoon the soup into six 1-cup ramekins and set them on a sturdy baking sheet.
    Preheat the broiler and position a rack 8 inches from the heat. Brush the bread with oil and cut into rounds that fit neatly into the ramekins. Transfer the bread to another baking sheet and broil, turning once, until lightly toasted. Set the toasts over the soup in the ramekins and sprinkle with the cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted and golden, about 1 minute. Drizzle with oil and serve right away.


    Make Ahead
    The soup can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Boca Raton, Florida
    Posts
    11,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleycat View Post
    I played! I copied the recipe from Food & Wine's website, so I didn't have to type the whole thing. The directions are a little different in the book (Fennel first, for 10 minutes, then add onion and garlic and cook over lowest heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. After adding broth and beans, bring to a boil then simmer for 1 hour.).

    In the book she also gives an option using kale, which I didn't have. So I added some fresh spinach to the soup and just sprinkled with grated Parm, no crusty bread.

    Very good. I will make it again!

    White Bean Soup
    My Father's Daughter by Gwyneth Paltrow
    (recipe copied from Food & Wine)


    This soup goes back, as Gwyneth Paltrow writes in My Father's Daughter, to a French restaurant called La Serre in Los Angeles where she used to eat with her father. "I've always loved the idea of French onion soup," Gwyneth says, "without actually liking the soup itself." She cooks the onions slowly with fennel and lots of garlic, makes the soup with vegetable stock and sets the filled bowls under the broiler topped with a slice of toasted bread and a generous handful of grated cheese.
    Yeah, you completed the game. I think I have that article. I'm glad you liked it. White Bean Soup has been my favorite all my life. I make it with dried Great Northern Beans. Thanks for playing Alleycat

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    837
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachside View Post
    I have been searching but haven't found a recipe yet...I hope to use a different category this week cos I think I have always used the book title.

    But when I find one I want to make that fits in any of the categories...that's the one I'll make.

    Just checking in cos it is so quiet here on the weekends.

    Trying to keep pace with Phoebe and the emphasis here

    Well I am a little late playing the game but I did want to get my recipe posted. After days of searching I finally found my H recipe under the 4th category--Hollywood actor--the well-known Lynette Scavo Okay so that isn't her name (it's Felicity Huffman--but I think this recipe is attributable to Lynette, not Felicity since it is from The Desperate Housewives Cookbook--a fun purchase, not for new & irrestible recipes).

    I have been trying to play the game with items I have on hand for other recipes...so I was looking for something simple with few ingredients.

    Look-Ma-Mo-Hands Mushrooms

    A boon to busy mothers-and-others who need a quick side dish, this is delicious hot from the oven or at room temperature.

    2 tbs olive oil
    2 tsp lemon juice or white wine vinegar
    1 tst salt
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    two 10-oz packages fresh cremini or white mushrooms, wiped clean with a damp paper towel.

    Preheat oven to 450*

    Stir the oil, lemon juice, salt & cumin together in a 13 x 11 inch baking dish. Trim the stem ends from the mushrooms and cut the mushrooms into quarters. Toss them in the seasoning mix in the baking dish to coat as evenly as possible. Spread the mushrooms out in an even layer. Roast, stirring once about halfway through, until browned and tender, 20 minutes.

    Serve hot or cold.

    Serves 4

    We had these at room temperature and ate them along with some other nibbles while sitting on the patio watching the sunset. Oh--the sky was so baby blue and the clouds were all pink pink pink...very pretty evening.

    The mushrooms weren't bad either I used the white wine vinegar option and if I made this again I would go a litle lighter on the ground cumin...I love cumin but I think there was just a tad too much.

    And...I made another H recipe...will post separately.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    837
    This week brought one of those *duh* moments. I had been searching and searching for a recipe for this game and didn't even remember that I have been wanting to have a try at making (yet again) hot cross buns. Over the years I have tried to make these little treats during Lent but I am yeast-challenged. I've probably tried 4 or 5 different recipes, some more than once, but even the ones that have turned out just right when fresh out of the oven, have also turned to hard little hockey pucks before long (some came out of the oven that way).

    I keep trying to make these...and other yeast breads...but so far I haven't managed to master the mixing and kneading and whatever else--yeast breads are still a challenge.

    So I gave this a try--with (so far) good results. The rise time for me was more than the 90 minutes...it was over 2 hours before I thought it had doubled.

    But really I have to consider this a success!

    I am going to have to try this recipe again and make a few changes...I think it needs a tad more sugar in the dough (course that might create problems and then I'll know to leave well enough alone when it comes to yeast breads) cos I love a sweet hot cross bun. I used currants and regular raisins and some orange peel...I didn't have any golden raisins but that is what I'd prefer so will use next time. Also the vanillla in the icing turned it a brownish tint...in other recipes I think I've added just lemon juice to the powdered sugar and that is what I'll try next time instead of the milk, and won't add the vanilla.

    Hot Cross Buns
    Better Homes & Gardens New Baking Book
    1. Yield: 20 buns
    Prep: 35 mins Rise: 2 hrs 15 mins Bake: 375°F 12 mins

    4 - 4 ½ c a-p flour
    1 package active dry yeast
    3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp ground nutmet
    dash ground cloves
    3/4 c milk
    ½ c butter
    1/3 c granulated sugar
    3 eggs
    2/3 c currants or raisins
    1/4 c diced candied orange peel (optional)
    1 beaten egg white
    1 c sifted powdered sugar
    1/4 tsp vanilla
    1 tsb milk or orange juice

    1. In a large mixing bowl combine 2 cups flour, yeast, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. In a pan heat and stir milk, butter, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt until warm (120 degree F to 130 degree F) and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture to dry mixture. Add eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high 3 minutes. Stir in currants and orange peel (if desired), and as much remaining flour as you can.

    2. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape into a ball. Place in a greased bowl, turning once. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double (about 1-1/2 hours).

    3. Punch dough down. Turn onto floured surface. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Divide dough into 20 portions. Shape portions into smooth balls. Place balls 1-1/2 inches apart on greased baking sheet. Cover; let rise till nearly double (45 to 60 minutes).

    4. Using a sharp knife, make a crisscross slash across top of each bun. In small bowl combine beaten egg white and 1 tablespoon water. Brush mixture of egg white and water over rolls. Bake in a 375 degree F oven 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly. For icing, in a mixing bowl combine powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk or juice. Stir in additional milk or juice, 1 teaspoon at a time, until icing is of drizzling consistency. Drizzle icing into slashes atop each bun. Serve warm. Makes 20 servings.


    Nutrition Facts
    Calories 188,
    Protein (gm) 4,
    Carbohydrate (gm) 30,
    Fat, total (gm) 6,
    Cholesterol (mg) 45,
    Saturated fat (gm) 3,
    Dietary Fiber, total (gm) 1,
    Vitamin A (RE) 62,
    Sodium (mg) 118,
    Calcium (DV %) 20,
    Iron (DV %) 2,
    Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

    Yeah! Two entries to the H game, but I am a little late

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Boca Raton, Florida
    Posts
    11,359
    Hi Susan, better late than never, right? I had a lot typed to you when DA*M AOL kicked me off. Don't feel like redoing. OK, one thing I did say was I have been cooking mushrooms about every week now. I love them. Thank you for the recipe and thanks Publix for the sliced mushrooms.

    You are much braver than I am. I love collecting bread, rolls, bun and such recipes but not brave enough to attempt to make them. Want to come down and help me?

    ps I think you secretly work for the Chamber of Commerce. You even make me want to move to Florida.

    Say hello to Paul for us please. He must have done some job on your kitchen. Sounds like you really love being in it now.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,139
    I know the H game is officially over, but I made these tonight and they were good. The recipe starts with an "H" and it is from a Food Network star (close enough to Hollywood on these boards, right?).

    I added a few good dashes of Worcestershire too, and used thinly sliced scallions in place of the chives. Baked them at 400 on a broiler rack, and subbed extra sharp Cheddar for the Havarti (had to use what I had on hand, since it was a last minute meal).

    We loved them! But then, we love horseradish


    Horseradish Burgers With Havarti

    Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence and JoAnn Cianciulli

    Serves:
    8 burgers

    Ingredients

    2 pounds ground chuck
    1/4 cup grated fresh or prepared horseradish
    1/2 bunch fresh chives, minced
    Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Canola oil
    16 slices havarti cheese
    8 large hamburger buns, split
    Ketchup, mayonnaise, and mustard, for serving
    Cooked bacon, lettuce, sliced tomato, and onion, for serving

    Directions

    Put the beef in a large mixing bowl. Use a rubber spatula to fold in the horseradish and chives; season with salt and pepper. Hand-form the meat into 8 burgers, cover them, and chill in the fridge while preparing your grill.

    Place a large grill pan on 2 burners over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill and get it very hot. Burgers stick to a cold grill, so it's important that you give it plenty of time to heat. Take a few paper towels and fold them several times to make a thick square. Blot a small amount of oil on the paper towel then carefully and quickly wipe the hot grates of the grill; this will create a non-stick grilling surface. Grill the burgers for 8 minutes per side for medium; 7 minutes if you like your meat rare.

    When the burgers are just about cooked, put a couple of slices of cheese on top of each and cover the grill for 1 minute to melt the cheese. Remove the burgers to a clean side plate so you have enough room to toast the buns.

    Rub the grill rack with the same paper towel as before to clean the small charred pieces, then toast the hamburger buns cut-side down for 1 minute. Serve the burgers with your favorite condiment and any garnish you like, such as bacon, lettuce, sliced tomato, and onion.

  16. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Boca Raton, Florida
    Posts
    11,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleycat View Post
    I know the H game is officially over, but I made these tonight and they were good. The recipe starts with an "H" and it is from a Food Network star (close enough to Hollywood on these boards, right?).

    I added a few good dashes of Worcestershire too, and used thinly sliced scallions in place of the chives. Baked them at 400 on a broiler rack, and subbed extra sharp Cheddar for the Havarti (had to use what I had on hand, since it was a last minute meal).

    We loved them! But then, we love horseradish


    Horseradish Burgers With Havarti

    Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence and JoAnn Cianciulli
    You sound as confused as I am today But the way some of these chefs are today, I guess you could call them actors.

    The recipe looks so good that we will look the other way and call them actors for the day. Thanks for playing.

  17. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,139
    Well, the recipe name *starts* with an H too

    Okay, on to this week's game...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •