Community Message Boards

Thread: Carrot recipe to go with brisket?

Carrot recipe to go with brisket?

I'm not much on carrots alone as a side dish, but a good friend is cooking brisket for his widowed father and some other family and has latched onto wanting to do a carrot side dish. All I ever do is steamed served with butter (and then only with corned beef )--anyone have any T&T suggestions? My initial instinct is that anything sweet or glazed is going to sit poorly with the brisket (the Gourmet recipe, which is lovely but onion heavy)

Would appreciate any suggestions!
    "Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
    Use an egg carton like everyone else and stop being such a poser." - The Little Book of Wrong Shui

Growing up, brisket was almost always served with tzimmes for the Jewish holidays. It is sweet since it is a combination of carrots, sweet potatoes and prunes. If you are interested, I'll post the recipe guidelines (not sure I would call it a recipe)
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Actually, simply buttered plain carrots sound good to me. Here are some recipes I haven't tried but read like tasty side dishes, each different.

Aromatic Parsnips and Carrots

Ingredients
    • 1-1/2 lb. small parsnips, peeled and halved lengthwise
    • 1-1/2 lb. small carrots, peeled and halved lengthwise
    • 3 Tbsp. olive oil
    • 3/4 tsp. fennel seeds, crushed
    • 1/2 tsp. ground coriander (optional)
    • 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
    • 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
    • 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
    • 1 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
    • 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
    • 1/2 tsp. salt
    • 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    • 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
    Directions
    1. Cut any long parsnips and carrots in half crosswise. In a very large skillet, cook parsnips, covered, in small amount of boiling salted water for 2 minutes. Add carrots; return to boiling. Cook for 4 minutes more. Drain; set aside. Carefully wipe skillet dry.
    2. Heat the 3 tablespoons oil in same skillet over medium heat. Add fennel seeds, coriander, and cinnamon. Cook about 1 minute or until fragrant, stirring occasionally. Add parsnips, carrots, and garlic. Cook 10 to 12 minutes or until vegetables are tender, turning occasionally. Remove from heat.
    3. Transfer to 2-1/2- or 3-quart microwave-safe casserole. Cover; refrigerate up to 24 hours. To serve, microcook, covered with lid or vented plastic wrap, on high (100% power) for 7 to 8 minutes, stirring once. Stir in cilantro, lemon peel and juice, salt, and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil. Makes 10 to 12 servings.
    To serve right away: Chilling step may be omitted. Stir in cilantro, lemon peel, lemon juice, salt, and drizzle with olive oil at the end of Step 2.

Cowboy Carrots in the Round
    Episode: Wyoming

3 cups mashed cooked carrots
    1 cup cracker crumbs
    1 cup milk
    3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar
    1 cup butter -- softened
    1/4 cup grated onion
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
    1 dash Worcestershire sauce
    4 eggs -- slightly beaten
    2 packages peas -- (10-ounce) steamed

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Combine the carrots, cracker crumbs, milk, cheese, butter, onion, salt, hot red pepper sauce, and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl and mix well. Fold in the eggs. Pour into a greased 1 1/2-quart ring mold. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until firm. Unmold onto platter. Fill center with steamed peas.
    Yield 10-12 servings

Serving Ideas : On the show they placed steamed peas on the platter outside the ring as well, so the peas were swimming in a sea of green.

Marge's serving idea: you can make less labor intensive by just baking in casserole and skip the presentation effect with peas and enjoy the browned puffy top. Actually the more I read this the more I want to bake it

We love this one from Ina Garten. I use parsley-have never tried the dill, and have used roasted garlic olive oil as well as regular olive oil - either is good.

Barefoot Contessa's Roasted Carrots
    A dirt simple, non-gourmet recipe, but an oh-so-good way to make carrots

12 carrots
    2 T. good olive oil
    1-1/4 tsp kosher salt
    1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    2 T. minced fresh dill or parsley

Preheat oven to 400. If the carrots are thick, cut them in half lengthwise; otherwise, leave whole. Cut carrots diagonally into 1-1/2 inch thick slices. (The carrots will shrink while cooking, so make the slices thick.) Toss them in a bowl with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Transfer to a sheet pan in 1 layer and roast in the oven for 20 minutes., or until lightly browned and tender. Toss carrots with minced dill or parsley, salt and pepper to taste and serve.

yield: 6 servings
    Last edited by sharris315; 02-24-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Carrots & Asparagus ~ non-recipe

Cook sliced carrots and asparagus, separately, until the carrots are tender and the asparagus is tender-crisp. Combine and add a a splash of lemon juice or lemon butter, to taste.

The colors are beautiful and very spring-like. My family requests this as one of our Easter vegetables.
    Last edited by ADM; 02-24-2012 at 08:47 AM.
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

Sunshine Carrots

This is the only way our son would eat carrots:

hine Carrots
    5 med. carrots, scraped and sliced
    1T sugar
    1 tsp cornstarch
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp ground ginger
    1/4 c orange juice
    2T butter
    Steam carrots til tender. Combine sugar,
    cornstarch, salt, and ginger in a small saucepan.
    Add juice. Cook, stirring constantly until mixture thickens.
    Boil 1 minute and add butter. Pour over hot carrots and
    toss to coat.

Quote Originally Posted by tbb113 View Post
    Growing up, brisket was almost always served with tzimmes for the Jewish holidays. It is sweet since it is a combination of carrots, sweet potatoes and prunes. If you are interested, I'll post the recipe guidelines (not sure I would call it a recipe)
    I'd love this, if you have a chance--thanks!
    Use an egg carton like everyone else and stop being such a poser." - The Little Book of Wrong Shui

Here's a baked carrot dish that we like, and have a look at this *tsimmes* rec., makeable with or without the chilies

From Cat @Chatelaine

Carrot Loaf

3 large eggs
    2 C cooked mashed carrots (start with about 4 C cubed)
    1 C milk (works with soy milk too)
    1/4 C butter, melted
    1/3 C chopped onion
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1 C dry breadcrumbs

Beat eggs. Add next 6 ingredients. Mix well. Add bread crumbs. Stir. Bake uncovered at 350 deg. F for 1 hr in a 2qt/2L casserole dish. (I make them in regular meatloaf pans.)

Andy’s notes: Needs a bit more than 4 cups carrots in ~1” cubes to make 2 cups mashed (a little less carrot won’t make a difference, though). I’ve used 3 chopped green onions in place of the onion. Some added herbs (dill, thyme, parsley or savoury) might be nice to try. Try another veggie, eg beets, parsnips? Took ~45 minutes to cook @325 deg. F in a convection oven in a 9"x5" greased metal loaf pan. Serves 6 to 8. A bit difficult to serve as slices when hot - maybe a square baking dish would be better. Leftovers slice neatly and reheat well.
    Cheers! Andy

Here is one from Mark Bittman that is easy and delish. I love the raisins in it.

Thinly slice carrots, or grate or shred them (the food processor makes quick work of this). Toss with toasted cumin seeds, olive oil, lemon juice and cilantro. Raisins are good in here, too. There is no better use of raw carrots.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

The first thing that came to mind was Tzimmes. It is very traditional with brisket on Jewish holidays. It is typically a sweet/savory mix of carrots and sweet potatoes roasted along side a brisket. Then you may add other ingredients like onions, pineapple, often a dried fruit (prunes or apricots are traditional) etc.... There are so many variations but it is good.

Another thought would be to simply roast some carrots with parsnips or brussel sprouts. We love those in our house. Just toss with olive oil, garlic, S & P, fresh herbs if you have(rosemary is good) or dried in a pinch and roast until golden. You may finish with a squeeze of lemon juice or vinegar if you like.

Karen

Here you go...it is strictly a starting point and you can vary it by subbing different fruits

small bunch carrots - cut in small (1 inch?) pieces, cooked (simmer in water)
    small can apricots (or pineapple)
    1 lb prunes, cooked ( or less if you don't like prunes. Soak in hot water to plump them up)
    2 fresh sweet potatoes, baked

dice potatoes (up to you if you peel first), cut prunes into 1/2 pieces (do not use the prune juice), use the whole can of apricots including the liquid.

Fold altogether and bake in a casserole at 350 for 30 minutes.

Equally good with turkey!

Lately my mother has been cutting the prunes way back and mashing the carrots and sweet potatoes together.

This is definetly a dish that you can make to your taste
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

My mom always cooked the carrots in with the brisket -- they'd soak up that lovely brisket gravy (and lend some of their own sweetness to it) and mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, so so delicious!

Just cut them up into rather large-ish pieces so they don't disintegrate, and throw them in with the meat when you start to cook.
    ~ ~ Leslie ~ ~

I just wanted to thank everybody--this gives him more than enough to choose from, and several I want to try as well. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh37 View Post
    I just wanted to thank everybody--this gives him more than enough to choose from, and several I want to try as well. Thanks!
    I think we are all willing to go an extra mile when someone is making comfort food for a widower, or widow.