Community Message Boards

Thread: Bagless Vac and Cat?

Hybrid View

Bagless Vac and Cat?

OMG.... I can't believe how much 'stuff' my bagless vac is picking up in this house! I have noticed since getting Sly that the amount of litter dust is appalling! today I had to empty it (outside) after doing one 8x10 area rug (in living room) and office... it was unbelieveable! This is my first bagless vac, but had it when Casey was alive and didn't notice this issue. Now, Casey used his box once a day ONLY... Sly is in and out about 20 times a day so there is more being spread around the house. I have a Hoover Windtunnel vac and about to go and get a bagged one ... at least i don't see the mess and don't have to take outside to the yard to empty! Anybody else have this problem? I feel like I am breathing in the dust although my tables/furniture don't show it... Thanks

We currently have 3 cats--indoor/outdoor. When the weather is bad (or when we first moved and they stayed in for a month), the litter smell was palpable. I have allergies to a lot of stuff (in my old age) and I can smell when DH deals with the litter boxes.
    I have bagless as well and just deal with it.
    Oh how I wish there were truly a dust free litter. 99.9% is just NOT cutting it.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Nothing to add -- but, when I saw the title of the thread, I thought you had sucked up the cat into the vacuum! Glad it wasn't that.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Quote Originally Posted by LakeMartinGal View Post
    Nothing to add -- but, when I saw the title of the thread, I thought you had sucked up the cat into the vacuum! Glad it wasn't that.
    LOL.... Don't think that it hasn't crossed my mind!

I hear ya-- I tried that pine-based litter, that you only need an inch or so of, in the box... but it was so light, my large cat kept tipping over the box using it!

We liked Fresh Step for the smell, but I worried that it would give my cat lung issues. It still gives off some dust.

Another brand, though, is Yesterday's News. This is in pellet form, so barely any dust really-- it's made from old newspaper. My boss in Indy used it... but it's not for everyone. You need a cat with firm BMs, frankly. I just can't afford it.

I use a bagless, rechargeable vac for quick pickups in the kitchen and laundry room (where the litterbox stays) on a daily basis. For weekly vacuuming I have a Progressive canister with a bag.

Tried World's Best cat litter after reading good reviews. I couldn't stand the smell of the litter itself, so back to Tidy Cats. I use a covered box and refill it outside. Still there's dust.

Free offer from World's Best:

http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/