Community Message Boards

Thread: BCP recommendation?

BCP recommendation?

I am considering going back on the pill. I haven't been on the pill in ten years, but due to very low iron and heavy/long painful periods my doctor has told me I should at least think about it, this way I can skip my period every other month or more.

Does anyone specifically have a pill they'd recommend? What about the whole skipping your period thing? It just sounds wrong...but I know so many people do it.

I'm going to be 40 in August, and I am done having babies, if that matters or not!

Any advice?

Thank you!

I won't speak to a pill but I have an IUD and don't have periods and LOVE it. I'll have occasional spotting and that's usually about half a day every 6 months or so. It's so nice not to worry about it when running, skiing etc.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

I'm on Zovia, a very low dosage pill and have had very good success. No cramps or any symptoms at all. I've had 4 different Dr's tell me it's perfectly safe to not have periods as long as it's induced by BCP (vs just on your own).

But, I would rely on your Dr to recommend the right pill dosage for you b/c everyone is different

i tried to skip periods too and ended up with the most horrible migraine of my life and never felt quite right otherwise- decided that i didn't want to mess with the natural way of things although i hear you about the issues with heavy periods- i'm having similar problems along with fibroid pain so i'm interested in what you decide-
    Cheryl

I went off BCP in 2009, but prior to that, for many years, I used Yasmin and took it straight through with only four breaks a year. So I only had four periods a year, which I loved. They were heavier than they would have been on a monthly basis, but not so bad as to outweigh the convenience of only having a period once a month. The only drawback was that because that particular pill was not designed to be taken straight through (although it was actually my doctor who suggested this), my insurance would not cover all of the packs I needed each year to be able to take it this way, and I ended up paying for a few packs a year out of pocket. I think there are several pills on the market that are designed to be taken year-round, no breaks, or with just a few breaks a year.

I can't remember the brand, but I was on bcp for 8 years or so to control fibroid pain. I took it for 3 months straight and then had a period. They were normal periods...no problems at all. The first couple of months I did spot but that quickly went away.

I went off the bcp the year I turned 50 (in April, I turned 50 in Sept). I had a horrendous period in the fall that lead to an endometrial ablation. No problems, still hoping that I'm actually in menopause...but I'm still getting a period every once in a while so my 'year' keeps being reset. I can't wait until I'm all done (I just turned 52).

I do know that it has to be a 'steady' dose of hormones, not a tri-phasal type. Since you are done having babies, have you asked him if you are a candidate for endometrial abalation? That might be a great solution for you as well.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Thanks guys. I'll keep you updated. I just had an ultrasound and they did find a polyp, I have an upcoming appointment to discuss and I assume we'll discuss BCP at the same visit. I also have my (hopefully) last iron infusion on Thursday of this week. Then I wait a month and have my iron checked again.

Not pills, but I've been on Depo for two years now and have not had one period, or even spotting. I can tell you that it's been absolutely wonderful not having to worry about TOM at all! For the first few months I would get mild cramping, but then that also stopped completely. Being period free is blissful- I don't have to worry about it showing up at the wrong time, like when we're on vacation or something.

There are side effects though, which I think you'll find with any kind of hormonal interference, so keep that in mind. For me I had weight gain that increased me a full size in pants. I have made my peace with that for now.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Many women don't want hormone stuff any more and there is debate about the good and the bad on BCP, so if you still do not wish to take them, and the polyp does not resolve the bleeding, you can have a type of LEEP procedure that removes the lining of the uterine wall (freezes it off) so your periods are almost nothing if nothing at all.
    The procedure lasts for only so long (1 or 2 years, not sure any more) incase you wanted to have kids or were at the age where it didn't matter (menopause).
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I've been on ortho-tri cyclen for almost 20 years with no side effects (I'll be 38 in August). My periods are incredibly light and only last 2-3 days. I tried to take it straight through with no breaks to never have a period but did get headaches and mood swings so that experiment didn't work for me. Good luck!

Another iud user here. Like you, my periods had gotten so heavy that I was very anemic. My ob/gyn offered all three options mentioned here - bcp, uterine ablation, or iud.

I chose the iud (Mirena) because a) the hormone exposure is much lower than with bcp and b)No surgery. I was nervous about the insertion but it was very fast and not too bad.

I have some spotting every month but very minimal. I love the Mirena.
    Barbara

Nutella is love! - 9yr old ds

Quote Originally Posted by wallycat View Post
    Many women don't want hormone stuff any more and there is debate about the good and the bad on BCP, so if you still do not wish to take them, and the polyp does not resolve the bleeding, you can have a type of LEEP procedure that removes the lining of the uterine wall (freezes it off) so your periods are almost nothing if nothing at all.
    The procedure lasts for only so long (1 or 2 years, not sure any more) incase you wanted to have kids or were at the age where it didn't matter (menopause).
    My experience was different. I had LEEP last year for some weird pap test results and I did not find much change in my period, other than maybe less clotting (sorry TMI!).
    Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

Quote Originally Posted by BucknellAlum View Post
    My experience was different. I had LEEP last year for some weird pap test results and I did not find much change in my period, other than maybe less clotting (sorry TMI!).
    I think wallycat is talking about an endometrial ablation, not a LEEP. A LEEP is done for cervical problems, not heavy periods.
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

Also, the endometrial ablation is not reversible/lasts only 1-2 years. It is a permanent procedure. My dr. required that I have my tubes tied in connection with having the procedure done because I was only 35 and there was no way a viable pregnancy could be sustained after the ablation.
    Claire

It doesn't matter what you think, just that you do.

Quote Originally Posted by clairea View Post
    Also, the endometrial ablation is not reversible/lasts only 1-2 years. It is a permanent procedure. My dr. required that I have my tubes tied in connection with having the procedure done because I was only 35 and there was no way a viable pregnancy could be sustained after the ablation.
    And, not everyone gets the no/almost-no period results. I had VERY heavy periods, and my dr explained I'd most likely experience a "normal" period afterward, which is how it's been for 2 years. Better? Yes! Gone? Sadly, no. But I am glad I had it done and would recommend it for someone in my circumstances expecting reasonable results (cramps are pretty much gone, period only lasts 7 days as opposed to 12).
    As the arc of history bends towards justice, it's a new, more progressive day. --Steve Benen, The Maddow Blog, 11-07-12