Community Message Boards

Thread: This is why Obama wants people to go to college.... according to Rick Santorum.

This is why Obama wants people to go to college.... according to Rick Santorum.

I had the NBC Nightly news on tonight while doing some dishes, and I heard this in this background. I was sooo amazed by what I heard, I had to go back and get a replay.

Here is verbatim on what Santorum said to today.....
    "President Obama wants everyone in America to go to college, what a snob (laughter in audience). I understand why he wants you to go to college, he wants to remake you in his image." --------- I try to understand different viewpoints, but when I hear this type of statement, I just can't understand what is coming out of him mouth. Is it all just to rile people up, talk the talk of his audience. And, he talks about dividing people. Or even scarier, does he believe that?

And, here is an excerpt from an article on CBS news (by Rebecca Kaplan and Matthey Shelley) regading an interview he just recently had with Glenn Beck.

On the president's efforts to boost college attendance, Santorum said, "I understand why Barack Obama wants to send every kid to college, because of their indoctrination mills, absolutely ... The indoctrination that is going on at the university level is a harm to our country."

(I did hear that above sentence with with my own ears).

He claimed that "62 percent of kids who go into college with a faith commitment leave without it," but declined to cite a source for the figure. And he floated the idea of requiring universities that receive public funds have "intellectual diversity" on campus.

Criticized by his Republican rivals for supporting the Bush education law, which increased government-mandated testing in schools, Santorum has said he voted for it as "part of the (GOP) team." He told Beck that as president, "I'll be the team leader, not the team member."

I didn't hear all the clips from his conversation, so I didn't hear this part -- although I've heard him say similar things about home schooling. I THINK THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST ALARMING THINGS I'VE EVER HEARD --- based on this, do you think he would be a supporter of improving public ed ................................. A champion of home-schooling, Santorum also expanded on his vision of dramatically reduced involvement in public education by both the states and the federal government, although he was more exact about eliminating the present system than his plan for replacing it.

He said, "Education should be the parental responsibility and the local community should be the one to be working with the parents to make sure that children get the best educational in environment for each child in America. The federal government needs to get out of education. The state government by and large needs to get out of education, other than making sure there are sufficient resources, particularly in poorer neighborhoods, to be able to help (have) some sort of equality of education in America ... to have the resources to have the best customized education."

Santorum also defended his anti-abortion rights record after the Huffington Post website recently reported on a 1995 Philadelphia Magazine story in which Santorum said he "was basically pro-choice all my life, until I ran for Congress."

"No I wasn't," Santorum told Beck, chuckling. "I was in Congress in the 1990s and I had a 100-percent voting record in the 1990s ... When I first ran for Congress I was kind of an agnostic. I was a single male and not really interested in the issue, didn't really care. I was Catholic, but I had never really taken a public position on it."

Though discussions with his future father-in-law, a medical geneticist, he said he solidified his views. "I walked out of that meeting and said, 'Well, just from a standpoint of reason, I've got to be pro-life.' It was 1988 I think, or 1989."

*sigh*
    I really cannot understand how Santorum has come as far in politics as he has... what a closed-minded pinhead...
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

However, his views didn't prevent him from getting an education I'm pretty sure Penn State and U of Pittsburgh are public universities

He obtained an undergraduate degree from Pennsylvania State University, an M.B.A. from the University of Pittsburgh, and a law degree degree from the Dickinson School of Law.
    (above is from Wikipedia)
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Here's some of the sound bytes.
    Just amazing.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#46526652

Sadly, I live in a state what i could see choosing Santorum...
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

Right after he appears on Meet the Press Sunday morning, Santorum is holding an open forum meeting in my town--a town that has a public university located in it. I am formulating a question, but have little hope of actually getting to ask it...any suggestions?
    As the arc of history bends towards justice, it's a new, more progressive day. --Steve Benen, The Maddow Blog, 11-07-12

Quote Originally Posted by leebee View Post
    I am formulating a question, but have little hope of actually getting to ask it...any suggestions?
    "Mr. Santorum, have you always been such a narrow-minded, sexist, racist, bigoted, pinheaded wing-bat, or is this just to garner the votes on the extreme right?"

I'm sure someone can fluff it up a bit.

Good luck with being able to actually ask a question. And be sure to let us know if you or anyone else gets to ask a legitimate question. I bet it will be totally rigged for questions that give him an opportunity to make another soundbite.

Quote Originally Posted by Melman View Post
    "Mr. Santorum, have you always been such a narrow-minded, sexist, racist, bigoted, pinheaded wing-bat, or is this just to garner the votes on the extreme right?"

I'm sure someone can fluff it up a bit.

Good luck with being able to actually ask a question. And be sure to let us know if you or anyone else gets to ask a legitimate question. I bet it will be totally rigged for questions that give him an opportunity to make another soundbite.
    I LIKE it! Yeah, I'm not sure I can go, but I'm not above having a decoy question.

My problem is, I suffered a concussion 2 months ago, and have a condition called Post-concussion syndrome. I have trouble being in stressful situations & being around large, noisy crowds. I also tend to lose my cool REALLY easily at the best of times--now I have no filter at all. I'm already wound up & can't sleep, which will impact my ability to function tomorrow. Sigh. But my loathing runs sooooo deep, I may be willing to power through!
    As the arc of history bends towards justice, it's a new, more progressive day. --Steve Benen, The Maddow Blog, 11-07-12

Quote Originally Posted by Melman View Post

We just bought a new computer today and I just about spit all over the screen with that one!

Later in the story, he said his consistent line, "What you see is what you get!" That's right...bat-sh!t crazy.

bat-sh!t crazy
    I like it. Concise, short, easy to remember. May I quote you? Please?
    Sonja in Southern Maryland

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. -Michael Carr

Quote Originally Posted by shscharles View Post
    I like it. Concise, short, easy to remember. May I quote you? Please?
    Feel free! It's one of my DH's favorites.

Saw this nickname somewhere. Seems very appropriate.

Sancti-moron.

ANd separation of Church and States make him want to throw up.

Why not bring back the rack and pyre for heretics as well?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1302246.html

People cheered at his swipe against higher education.

Beyond the hypocrisy of someone who has risen to a position in the power structure based on education, college in modern AMerican economics is pretty much the only way to rise out of the "Walmart" low wage service economy.

There has always been a strain of anti-intellectualism that runs through American politics - the Know Nothing Party. But the Republican Party seems to really pandering to groups that fear education.

Can't stand Glenn Beck, but gotta hand it to him on this one.

Challenges Santorum on contributions

Quote Originally Posted by applecrisp View Post
    [/I]A champion of home-schooling, Santorum also expanded on his vision of dramatically reduced involvement in public education by both the states and the federal government, although he was more exact about eliminating the present system than his plan for replacing it.

He said, "Education should be the parental responsibility and the local community should be the one to be working with the parents to make sure that children get the best educational in environment for each child in America. The federal government needs to get out of education. The state government by and large needs to get out of education, other than making sure there are sufficient resources, particularly in poorer neighborhoods, to be able to help (have) some sort of equality of education in America ... to have the resources to have the best customized education."
    ."
    And if one parent has to be home-schooling the children, so much for an outside-the-home career for that parent, most likely the woman, who will then be totally dependent on her husband for support. (Note: I don't object to home-schooling if that's your choice; I object to the mandate). And the children will have limited exposure to any opinions other than the parents (so Sancti-morons will have little Sancti-morons). I can't believe this conversation is occurring in 2012.