Community Message Boards

Thread: Recipe for bar cookies using oatmeal

Recipe for bar cookies using oatmeal

I don't have time to make oatmeal cookies, so I want to try oatmeal cookie bars, preferably with dried cranberries/ cherries, and if the recipe uses oil instead of butter that would be great.

Any tried & true recipes out there? Thanks!
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

These were darn tasty! Doesn't use oil though - however, you could probably swap out the browned butter for it. You'd lose that toast-y flavor though!

Browned Butter Oatmeal-Cranberry Bars
    (Adapted from Everyday Food)

12 tablespoons unsalted butter
    2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup dried cranberries
    3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1 large egg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium - continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the butter releases a nutty aroma and just starts to turn golden, about 5 to 8 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool briefly.

In a medium bowl, whisk together oats, flour, cinnamon, salt and cranberries.

In a large bowl, whisk together browned butter, sugars and egg until well combined. Add dry ingredients and mix just until combined.

Scoop the batter into an 8" square baking pan coated with nonstick spray - spread to an even layer. Place into the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean with a few moist crumbs attached, about 22 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool before turning out and cutting into bars.

Makes about 12 to 16 bars.
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

Quote Originally Posted by HealthyinMN View Post
    These were darn tasty! Doesn't use oil though - however, you could probably swap out the browned butter for it. You'd lose that toast-y flavor though!

Browned Butter Oatmeal-Cranberry Bars
    (Adapted from Everyday Food)

12 tablespoons unsalted butter
    2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup dried cranberries
    3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1 large egg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium - continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the butter releases a nutty aroma and just starts to turn golden, about 5 to 8 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool briefly.

In a medium bowl, whisk together oats, flour, cinnamon, salt and cranberries.

In a large bowl, whisk together browned butter, sugars and egg until well combined. Add dry ingredients and mix just until combined.

Scoop the batter into an 8" square baking pan coated with nonstick spray - spread to an even layer. Place into the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean with a few moist crumbs attached, about 22 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool before turning out and cutting into bars.

Makes about 12 to 16 bars.
    Oh, these look wonderful, Joe! I have subscribed to EF for years and I don't remember these. I think I might try to substitute ww pastry flour for the white flour.
    Adopt a shelter cat!
    www.arascolorado.org

Thanks for the recipe, Joe! I haven't made browned butter in a while, and I miss having some on hand.

With any luck, a platter of these will help our darn slow contractor and his crew work a little faster tomorrow?!?!?
    Vicci

I was excited until I saw 12 Tbs butter. Gulp! Hmmm.....might go for it anyway & just live in denial. Oscar party is tonight & no one is signed up for dessert yet!

Susan -

I know it's nearing "showtime" but this is always good and comes together quickly with minimal ingredients. I've never tried it with oil though.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/cran...0000001853985/
    Sarah

I know it's too late and this isn't quite what you were looking for but your post inspired me to try these!!! Really good, very simple.

Delicious Raspberry Oatmeal Cookie Bars
    Marbalet from Allrecipes.com

Ready In: 55 Minutes
    Servings: 12
    "One of my favorite cookie bar recipes."
    Ingredients:
    1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1 cup rolled oats
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    3/4 cup seedless raspberry jam

Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 8 inch square pan, and line with greased foil.
    2. Combine brown sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, and rolled oats. Rub in the butter using your hands or a pastry blender to form a crumbly mixture. Press 2 cups of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread the jam to within 1/4 inch of the edge. Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture over the top, and lightly press it into the jam.
    3. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in preheated oven, or until lightly browned. Allow to cool before cutting into bars.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2012 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 2/27/2012
    Stacy

APPLESAUCE OAT BAR

1 cup quick-cooking oats

2/3 cup nonfat dry milk

2 tablespoons sugar

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Dash ground allspice

1/4 cup raisins, dried cranberries, or other dried fruit

1 cup unsweetened applesauce

1 teaspoon vanilla

3/4 teaspoon almond extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Sift together dry ingredients. Add remaining ingredients; stir just until completely moistened. Spread in prepared pan. Bake 30 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool slightly before cutting.

Joe, I did make the recipe that you posted and the very cranky, humorless plumber actually smiled and kept telling me and DH how wonderful they were. The other contractors just joyfully stuffed them into their faces...

I didn't have time to make the browned butter,, so I subbed 1/2 cup "extra light" olive oil and 1/4 cup plain lowfat yogurt. I also decreased the cranberries to 2/3 cup and added 2/3 cup bittersweet chocolate chips.

This was such an extraordinarily easy recipe I'll have to make them again, and I may try adding some hazelnut liquor to see what happens (since I think of the flavors of browned butter and toasted hazelnuts as very similar).

I'm also copying the other recipes you all have posted since these guys will be here for a while...
    Vicci

I realize I am late to this thread, but I had these in Mastercook and wanted to share for anyone who might be interested.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Low Fat Chewy Fruit & Oatmeal Bars

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    Ingredients
    3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    One 8-ounce container vanilla or plain low-fat yogurt
    2 egg whites -- lightly beaten
    2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
    2 Tbsp. skim milk
    2 tsp. vanilla
    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. salt (optional)
    3 cups Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned -- uncooked)
    1 cup diced dried mixed fruit -- raisins, or dried cranberries

Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, combine sugars, yogurt, egg whites, oil, milk, and vanilla; mix well. In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; mix well. Add to yogurt mixture; mix well. Stir in oats and fruit.

Spread dough onto bottom of ungreased 13x9-inch baking pan.

Bake 28 to 32 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered.

Yield - 2 dozen bars

Sunflower Cherry Oatmeal Breakfast Bars

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

1 cup rolled oats -- either quick cooking or old fashioned
    1 cup whole spelt or whole wheat flour
    1/2 cup packed natural brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon sea salt
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 cup sunflower seeds
    1/4 cup dried cherries
    1/2 cup expeller pressed canola oil
    5 tablespoons orange juice -- divided
    1/2 cup fruit sweetened black cherry preserves

Preheat oven to 325°F. Combine oats, flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, sunflower seeds and cherries in a large bowl. Add oil and 3 tablespoons orange juice, mixing well until all ingredients are fully combined. Reserve a half cup and press the rest into a lightly oiled 8-by-8-inch baking pan. Mix the remaining 2 tablespoons orange juice with the cherry preserves and spread evenly over the oat mixture in the pan. Sprinkle reserved oat mixture over the top and press down lightly with fingers. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Cool in the pan on a wire rack then cut into bars or squares. Store in an airtight container.
    Makes about 16 bars

Nutrition Info
    Per serving (1 bar/47g-wt.): 190 calories (80 from fat), 9g total fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 3g protein, 26g total carbohydrate (2g dietary fiber, 14g sugar), 0mg cholesterol, 60mg sodium

From Whole Foods

NOTES : Karen from Boulder sent in her recipe for breakfast bars looking for ways to cut calories and fat. Originally loaded with peanut butter, soy protein, chocolate chips and eggs along with other high-calorie ingredients, we took these bars in a very different direction while keeping the oats, sunflower seeds and dried fruit for great flavor and their nutritional attributes.

Wildflower Honey Cereal Bars

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Ingredients:
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
    1 cup cereal -- such as Rice Krispies, Cheerios …or Lucky Charms!
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup flaxseeds
    1/2 teaspoon Clabber Girl or Rumford Baking Powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
    1/3 cup honey
    1 large egg
    1/3 cup apple juice
    4 tablespoons canola oil or melted butter
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 cup chopped nuts - almonds -- walnuts, or sunflower seeds
    1/2 cup dried fruit cut into bits - cherries -- apricots, cranberries, etc.

Instructions:
    Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350°F. Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with the cooking spray.

Whisk together the flour, oats, cereal, brown sugar, flaxseeds, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl to combine them. Whisk together the honey and egg, then add the juice, oil or butter and vanilla. Make a well in the center, add the liquids and stir with a wooden spoon just until combined. Stir in the nuts or seeds and dried fruit.

Spread the batter evenly in the pan. Using a knife, cut the moist dough into thirds. Turn the pan and cut the dough into fifths to make fifteen bars. (Precutting will make it easier to cut through and separate the bars after baking.)

Bake until the top of the pastry is light browned, about 22 minutes. Cool briefly in the pan on a wire cake rack. Following the previously cut divisions, use a large, sharp knife to cut into bars. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely. (The bars can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days. To store longer, individually wrap each bar in plastic wrap, place in a ziploc bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature overnight.)

Makes 15 Bars

Take-a-Hike Granola Bars

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

1 2/3 cups quick rolled oats -- (5 1/8 ounces)
    1 cup + 2 tablespoons (3 1/8 ounces) Sticky Bun Sugar
    1/3 cup granulated sugar -- (2 3/8 ounces)
    1/3 cup oat flour -- (1 ounce)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon -- optional
    2 cups dried fruits and nuts* -- (10 to 15 ounces) (2 to 3)
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/4 cup melted butter or vegetable oil (1 3/4 ounces) -- (2 ounces)
    1/3 cup peanut butter -- (1 1/2 ounces) optional
    1/4 cup honey -- (2 3/4 ounces) maple syrup or corn syrup
    1 tablespoon water

*We like 1/2 cup each dried cranberries, chopped dried apricots, chopped pecans, sunflower seeds, and coconut. Walnuts, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, dried cherries or apples, or even chocolate chips would all be delicious as well!

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9" x 13" pan.

Stir together all the dry ingredients, including the fruit and nuts. In a separate bowl, whisk together the vanilla, melted butter or oil, syrup or honey, peanut butter, and water. Toss the wet ingredients with the dry until the mixture is evenly crumbly. Spread in the prepared pan, shaking the pan to evenly cover the bottom.

Bake the bars for 25 to 30 minutes, until they're just starting to brown and are bubbly around the edges. Remove from the oven, and cool for 10 minutes. Use a knife (or bench knife) to cut the bars while they're still warm in the pan. Let cool completely before removing from the pan. Yield: about one dozen 2" x 4 1/2" bars.

©2008 The King Arthur Flour Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

NOTES : When you make your own granola bars, you're able to use the exact combination of dried fruit, nuts, and seeds you like.