Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As long as I've got __ I've got dinner.

As long as I've got __ I've got dinner.

I noticed the other evening that I'd forgotten to buy parsley - parsley! What a silly thing if you don't need it for a recipe. Yet I realized there are a few simple items I have to have on hand to make dinner out of nothing:

garlic
    lemon
    parsley/other fresh herbs
    red pepper flakes
    Parmesan cheese
    peas or spinach
    olive oil

Of course there are many good and useful pantry staples, but I've found that I'm actually a little anxious if I don't have all of the above on hand.

You?
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

hummus
    wraps
    greens

garlic
    rice
    beans
    Cheryl

onions
    pasta
    olive oil
    anchovies
    parm cheese
    ______

Elizabeth

Walking Towards Wellness, my personal challenge to walk 10,000 steps per day in 2014 while living with and managing a chronic illness. Walk with me.

BEANS!
    Also...
    Rice
    Pasta
    Greens (cooking and/or salad)
    Tomatoes
    Cucumber - or - zucchini - or - yellow squash
    Garlic
    Olive oil
    Vinegar
    My whole spice rack. (Actually, two of them plus the overflow.)

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Actually I do pretty well in keeping well stocked. EXCEPY my dog reminds me that I fail from time to time in the dog food dept. like this weekend. She is eating some of the feta creamed corn till I get out to the store

I'm good to go if I have garlic, olive oil, lemon, parmesan, dried herbs and chicken. My cupboards are pretty well stocked as well as the freezer, but I always need that extra something from the store.

That's interesting you have parsley on your must-stock list. I always thought of parsley as one of those things you can skip in a recipe if you don't have any on hand. I really like flat-leaf parsley, but hardly ever keep it around the house.

I ditto bean as one of my must-haves. Eggs are another good one. You can make a meal out of anything + eggs

Chicken stock and garlic.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMac View Post
    I ditto bean as one of my must-haves. Eggs are another good one. You can make a meal out of anything + eggs
    Oops, I forgot about eggs. Yes, that's one of my always-on-hand items, too.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

If I have olive oil or flour, I can make dinner with whatever is in the house.

for the bare minimum:
    eggs
    pasta or rice
    olive oil

extras:
    onions
    garlic
    zucchini
    Parmesan cheese
    mushrooms
    muir glen fire roasted tomatoes
    chicken broth

And my spices.
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMac View Post
    That's interesting you have parsley on your must-stock list. I always thought of parsley as one of those things you can skip in a recipe if you don't have any on hand. I really like flat-leaf parsley, but hardly ever keep it around the house.
    I know it seems odd; I go through pretty much a bunch a week! (always flat-leaf). I don't know how I got into the habit, but yea, along with lemon zest, garlic and red pepper flakes it can do a lot.

Ramen Noodles.

Seriously, I try to keep various cheese (parmesan, blue cheese and a mexican blend mainly), various pastas, canned tomatoes, canned green beans, canned refried beans, jarred salsa, eggs, heavy cream, frozen shrimp and frozen chicken on hand, and potatoes and onions in the pantry.

BSCB
    chicken stock
    pasta
    diced tomatoes
    beans

Mine is:

ground beef
    pasta, rice or beans
    garlic
    tomato sauce or some other kind of canned tomatoes

Of course, there are many other things that I throw together if I'm stumped, like tuna melts, etc. But the above are my go-to ingredients.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Pasta with Vodka Sauce

This is my "go to" recipe and always have pasta, canned tomatoes, vodka, and half and half on hand so am always good to go. Or if I have fresh veggies.......have a pasta cookbook with all kinds of recipes that calls for fresh veggies.........or even caramelized onions that are great over any type of pasta.

As long as I have flour I can make something for dinner. It be something as simple as breakfast for dinner, like pancakes or waffles. I can make pizza with any topping as long as I have flour for making the crust. Lately I've been making a lot of calzones with various leftovers tucked inside. Makes a great portable meal to take with us to dance classes. If I have flour I could also make homemade noodles to add to any broth for a simple soup.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Eggs would be my first answer

Hm. Diced tomatoes, beans, and some sort of grain are probably my go-to staples. Though you can make a frittata with just about anything, so add me to the "eggs" list.

I almost always have parsley... very, very sad parsley I bought a week ago and immediately forgot about.

I can almost always come up with something with beans, greens, and grains. I try and keep at least a quart of each easily accessable in the freezer. On one of those 'crazy days' I can pull them out on my way to work, plop into a bowl, and have dinner almost ready by the time I get home.
    Anne

Eggs and cheese are a must have for me too.

Reservations.

*giggle*

For me it is:

pasta or rice
    tomatoes and/or beans
    olive oil

With that base I can build from whatever other misc stuff I have around. But I have a very well stocked pantry as well as a deep freezer so there's always something. Even when I do things like not think to go to the grocery store before a predicted snow storm like I did last week.

Canice, I know you have Parmesan on your list. But no self-respecting Wisconsinite would go without cheddar, Swiss and some sort of decent cracker on hand.

I never thought much about this, but my son and his girlfriend (who is from Minnesota) were here over the weekend. She talked about how NONE of her friends/family from the Twin Cities ate cheese as a snack until she went to college in Wisconsin!

So, definitely have to include an "eating cheese" to that staples list.

ETA: Yes, cheese and crackers does meet the definition of dinner in Wisconsin, especially if accompanied with wine or beer!
    Last edited by JackieO; 02-28-2012 at 07:04 PM. Reason: additional detail
    "I cook with wine; sometimes I even add it to the food."
    ---W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by JackieO View Post
    ETA: Yes, cheese and crackers does meet the definition of dinner in Wisconsin, especially if accompanied with wine or beer!
    Heck, I'm not even from Wisconsin and I'm right there with ya! Its a perfect dinner!
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!
    http://massachuseats.com/

My absolute basics are:

Eggs
    Cheese -parmesan, cheddar
    Pasta
    Canned beans - black, kidney, garbanzo
    Canned tomatoes
    Broth

Better than Bouillion!

Unhappy

Canned tomatoes
    Rice, brown and white basmati
    Pasta
    Eggs
    Olive Oil
    Garlic
    Onions
    Dried spices and herbs (I could weed the collection down to curry, cumin, chili, dill, caraway and file gumbo if someone put a gun to my head-you are getting the saffron over my cold dead body)
    Herb garden in backyard (currently rosemary, oregano, chives, thyme, mint-sage died again, got swallowed by the rosemary and oregano)
    Canned beans - cannellini, chickpeas, black beans
    Dried lentils
    Dijon mustard
    Vinegars

As you may sense, we're not big on animal protein, but we're not opposed to adding the stray chicken to the above or a little lean beef.

A phone. For pizza or Chinese food

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaM View Post
    A phone. For pizza or Chinese food
    You got it Toots.

Quote Originally Posted by Soupandstew View Post
    As you may sense, we're not big on animal protein, but we're not opposed to adding the stray chicken to the above or a little lean beef.
    <giggle>
    I don't eat much animal protein either, but the idea of a stray chicken or lean beef making its way up the hill is kind of colorful!