Community Message Boards

Thread: Need bread recipes

Need bread recipes

I am looking for some special bread recipes that are t&t,
    as I am tired of white, rye, whole wheat and multi-grain
    breads. Want something for sandwiches etc. DH does not care for banana or other types of fruit breads.
    So I need HELP!!!!!!!
    Thank You All,
    V.

We love this recipe.
    http://www.food.com/recipe/dilly-casserole-bread-102355
    I make it when I make mushroom soup. So, so good!
    ~JW~

Oatmeal Yeast Bread

1 cup boiling water
    1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    1/2 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
    3 tablespoons honey
    2 tablespoons molasses or brown sugar
    2 teaspoons salt
    1/4 cup butter, softened

Two 1/4-ounce packages active dry yeast
    Drizzle of honey
    1/2 cup warm water
    1 egg
    3-3 1/2 cups all purpose flour

In a large bowl (or bowl of your big mixer) stir together the boiling water, whole wheat flour, oatmeal, molasses, honey, salt, and butter.

In a small bowl dissolve the yeast and drizzle of honey in the 1/2 cup of warm water. Let rest for one minute.

Mix the dissolved yeast and egg into the oatmeal mixture until well combined. Add one cup of flour and stir in until incorporated. Add another cup and repeat. Repeat for the third cup. At this point, if you aren't using a mixer, you will start kneading by hand.

Flour your hands and pull the dough to one side of the bowl. Add 1/2 cup of flour to the bottom of the bowl and lay the dough on it. Bring up one side of the dough and fold it over, pushing down with the heel of your hand, hard.

Turn the bowl 1/4 turn and pull the top edge of the dough up and fold it over, pushing down with the heel of your hand. Continue doing this, adding flour as needed, until the dough is very elastic - about 6-10 minutes.

(If you do it in the mixer, add the three cups of flour and mix on medium until incorporated. Feel the dough. If it's very sticky, add the other 1/2 cup. Mix for 2 minutes on medium speed. Dough will still be slightly sticky.)

Drizzle some oil into a big bowl. Gather the dough into a ball and roll in the oil, coating the surface. Place in a warm place, covered. Let rise until doubled and very light.

Lightly grease two large loaf pans, or 4 mini pans. Set aside.

Punch the dough down, removing as much air as possible. Form into loaves and let rise until doubled again. Preheat oven during this rising. Bake for 35-45 minutes for the big loaves, 25-30 minutes for the minis, or until golden brown.

I've posted this before, although heavyhedonist was the original poster (the notes at the bottom are hers). We love this recipe - it's a great accompaniment to creamy soups, and is delicious toasted or warmed with butter. It makes wonderful sandwiches. I make my own rice blend with brown rice, wild rice, and whatever grains I might have on hand.

You might also search for the words "bread thread" for new recipes and ideas. There was a time when the monthly bread threads were quite active here, and many of my family's favorites came from those threads.

Amy

WILD RICE AND ONION BREAD

8 C unbleached high-gluten, bread, or all-purpose flour
    1/3 C chopped dried onions or 1 C diced fresh onions
    1/3 C brown sugar
    2 Tbsp instant yeast or 2 1/2 dry active yeast, proofed in 4 Tbsp warm water
    1 1/2 Tbsp sea salt
    1 C cooked cooled wild rice blend
    1/3 C buttermilk
    1 1/2 C warm water

Mix all the dried ingredients, including the yeast and rice, in a bowl, then add the liquid ingredients, reserving a little water for later for adjustments during kneading. Turn the dough out onto a floured counter and knead for 10-12 minutes, or until dough is elastic, unified and tacky but not sticky.

Return dough to a clean bowl, cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap, and slip the bowl into a plastic bag. Put it in a warm spot. Allow between 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours for dough to rise/double.

Shape as desired, into 2 loaves or a loaf and rolls, place in greased pans, cover and let rise again, allowing 45-60 minutes for rising. Cut a star pattern in the top, or for rolls, brush with an egg wash made of 1 egg beaten with 1/2 C water.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven, for approximately 45 minutes-- rolls will take 12-15 minutes. These loaves are best if sprayed with cold water frequently during the first 10 minutes of baking to make the crust brittle.

** I had trouble getting all that flour into the dough, and ended up using between 6-7 cups. i believe it is the method, and will in future make this bread by adding the dried ingredients a little at a time, as usual. As it was, i had to add more water to avoid ruined, overly dry and non-cohesive dough. However, once i was past the crisis, the bread came out beautifully, though i used less onion too, about 1/3 C fresh diced.

Oats ‘n Barley Beer Bread

how 'bout some beer bread?

Oats ‘n Barley Beer Bread

3-1/2 cups warm liquid (water – then it’s not beer bread; or a mix of beer eg 1 or 2 500 ml can(s) of Caledonian Brewery’s 80/- plus water totaling 3-1/2 cups)
    1 cup old-fashioned (large flake) rolled oats
    1-1/4 Tbs instant yeast
    1/3 cup oat bran or oat bran cereal
    1 cup barley flour
    1 slightly rounded Tbs gluten
    2 Tbs liquid barley malt
    3 Tbs honey or molasses
    2 or 3 tsp brewer’s yeast (optional)
    4 tsp sea salt
    4 Tbs olive oil
    3 cups all purpose (ap) flour
    3+ cups whole wheat (ww) flour

To warm liquid add the oats and let soak for 15 minutes. Add instant yeast, oat bran, barley flour, gluten, barley malt, honey or molasses, and brewer’s yeast (if using); stir to mix and add 1 cup each of ap and ww flours, mixing very well. Cover and let rest 15 minutes.
    Stir in sea salt, olive oil, and 1 cup each of all purpose (ap) and whole wheat (ww) flours and mix well. Mix in another cup of ap flour, then add some ww flour, mixing until dough is fairly stiff and then remove it to a dough board and begin kneading, adding more ww flour as needed, kneading until dough is just a bit sticky. Continue kneading for a total time of about 15 to 20 minutes until dough is fairly smooth and elastic.
    Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, rolling dough about until the surface is completely oiled and then cover with plastic wrap and allow it to rise until doubled. Punch down, remove from bowl and divide in 3 or 4 pieces – for 3 x 27 oz or 4 x 20 oz loaves. (I make 3 freeform loaves, round or batards, (could use 9”x5” pans) or 4 loaves in 4”x8” pans.) Cover loaves with plastic wrap and allow them to double before baking at 400F about 25 to 35 minutes (adding some moisture to the oven at the start if you can) until they sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. Before baking the loaves can be brushed with a mix of about 1 Tbs water and 1 Tbs milk (or sprayed with water), some oats can be sprinkled on, and they can be brushed with the water/milk mix once more if desired (or just spray with water).
    Cheers! Andy

or a seriously oatmeal bread...

Forum Gail's Recipe Swap From: Olga D (Ont)

Finnish Oatmeal Bread (Kaurahiutaleleipa)

This bread has a distinct toasted oatmeal aroma and flavour when it is toasted. It is one of the simplest breads to make that you can find! Soft, tender and delicious.

1 package active dry yeast
    2 teaspoons salt
    2 1/4 cups warm water
    3 cups quick-cooking rolled oats, uncooked
    3 to 4 cups white flour

Combine the yeast, salt, and water in a bowl, stirring until the yeast is dissolved. Stir in the oats and let the mixture stand for 30 minutes, or until it is very sticky when stirred. Slowly add enough flour, stirring all the while, to make a stiff dough. Turn out onto a floured board and knead until smooth and elastic. Be sure to add flour until the dough is no longer sticky, for the dough softens while it rises. Place the dough in a greased bowl, turn over to grease the top, and let rise in a warm place until doubled (from 1 to 3 hours). Shape into 2 round loaves, place on a buttered baking sheet, and ***** all over with a fork. Let rise again until doubled.
    Bake in a moderately hot oven (375 F) for 45 to 55 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter while hot and cool, covered lightly with clean towels, on racks.
    Makes 2 loaves.

Olga’s Note: I used 3/4 TABLESPOON of bread machine yeast for this recipe and it only took 1 hour to rise and 1 hour formed into round loaves. I only needed 3 cups of unbleached white flour. A very nice and tasty bread.
    From The Finnish Cookbook B. Ojakangas

Andy’s notes: I add 2 Tbs gluten and a Tbs of butter or olive oil, and use traditional yeast, though sometimes (not often anymore) I add it after soaking the oats. I sprinkle flour over the loaves and ***** all over with a floured fork before their second rise. I bake in convection oven at 375 about 21 to 23 minutes, remove from the baking sheet and bake a couple more minutes on the oven rack, until loaves sound hollow. I omit the brushing with butter.
    Jan/06 - made with a bottle of lager (Molson Canadian) with water added to equal 2 cups and then warmed. Yeast started in 1/4 cup warm water and added to oatmeal/beer/salt mixture after proofing about 10 minutes; let mixture rest another 15 or 20 minutes.
    Cheers! Andy

Roasted Butternut Squash Bread

squash bread?

from http://www.cookingbread.com/classes/...rbs_bread.html

Roasted Butternut Squash Bread

Night Before:
    1/4 cup bread flour
    1/4 cup whole wheat flour
    1/4 cup dark rye flour
    1/3 cup warm water
    1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
    Soaker:
    1/4 cup steel cut oats
    1/4 cup warm water
    Day of:
    2 - 2 1/2 cups bread flour
    3/4 cup whole wheat flour
    1/2 cup dark rye flour
    1 1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon instant yeast
    1 cup mashed roasted butternut squash
    3 teaspoon fennel seeds
    3/4 cup lukewarm water

The night before you want to make this bread combine all the night before ingredients into a bowl, mix till smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit on the counter over night. Also you will need to create your soaker. Combine the steel cup oats and water, mix and cover with plastic wrap allow to sit on the counter over night. The next morning combine the " Night before" mixture, roasted squash, soaker and water into a large bowl and mix. Add in the whole wheat flour, rye flour, salt, instant yeast and fennel seeds. Mix till smooth and allow to rest uncovered for 15 minutes. Now, start to add in the flour, just a half a cup at a time. Till it becomes to hard to mix with a wooded spoon. Pour out mixture onto a floured surface. Continue to add more flour and knead for 10 minutes. You want the dough to become smooth and elastic and a little on the sticky side but not sticking to your hands. Add a little oil to a bowl and place the kneaded dough into the bowl. Turn over dough to very lightly coat all sides of the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest for 2 hours or till double in bulk. After the dough has rested, pour out onto a flat surface. Cut dough in half. Take one piece of dough and lightly flatten the dough and roll the dough like a jelly roll. With each turn press with your thumb to seal. Pinch the seam closed with your fingers. Place dough onto parchment paper dusted with cornmeal. Allow to rest for 1 hour. About half way through the rising process turn on the oven to 425F and place your baking stone onto the oven and a cast iron skillet on the bottom of the stove to heat up. After the bread has risen remove the cling wrap and sprinkle a little bread flour on top of the loaves. Using a very sharp knife cut long slashes on top of the loaves. Place the loaves onto the baking stone and pour a cup of boiling water into the cast iron skillet to create some steam. Close the door and allow to bake for 30 - 35 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
    Cheers! Andy

My DH loves, loves, loves bread and my bread machine seems to always be going. I use Beth Hensperger's Bread Machine cookbook. Just Excellent. Here's the ones I make the most for my DH:

#1 Cinnamon Swirl Bread (page 432 with glaze option from page 449)-- make this about once a week either for my DH or for someone else. This is what I bake to give when someone new moves into the neighborhood. Some call me The Cinnamon Bread Lady.

#2 Sour Cream Bread (page 53) -- fluffy white bread that everyone seems to love. I add fiber with KAF Hi-Maize fiber (tasteless)

#3 Yogurt Bread (page 54) My DH loves this -- makes a great base for grilled ham & cheese sandwiches. Keeps better than most because of the yogurt

#4 Scandinavian Light Rye (page 134) -- Even my rye-hating DH says this is wonderful bread. I substitute KAF "Deli-Rye Flour" for the caraway

#5 Tomato Bread (page 346) -- one of my personal favorites. Great for any sandwich featuring cheese.

#6 Quinoa Bread (page 164) -- Fantastic! what else can I say?

I have tried other recipes in the book, and never had a real failure. These are the ones I make over & over because they get the biggest raves with the least effort.

Juli

Some of my favorites include the two Sprouted Wheat Breads from the KAF Whole Grain Baking Book. You do have to plan ahead to sprout the wheat berries, but I usually double the recipe and once the berries are ready to go, it is a quick and easy bread to make.

I also recently made the 100% whole wheat foccacia from Peter Reinhert's whole grain bread book and really liked it. I topped mine with carmelized onions, fresh rosemary, kosher salt, and olive oil but the possibilities are endless.

Karen

Bread Recipes

Have copied your recipes, and wish to say thank you
    to all who have taken the time to post your recipes.
    Thanks Again,
    Val

Made the Wild Rice and Onion bread today with white-whole wheat and added vital wheat gluten. Texture and flavor are both terrific. Thanks for posting Amy!