Community Message Boards
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weight Watchers/Weight Loss Support - March 2012

Maria, Congratulations on the loss and the exercise hours! That is great...and you should get plenty of exercise over the next couple of days! I have always wanted to go to the waterpark in Wisconsin Dells, never have made it...and now the kids are grown...but there is always hope -- I have 2 grandchildren coming up in age

I weigh in at lunch time today, I am not sure...I think I may have a loss but will wait to see what they have to say.

Talk to you later...
    EmptyNestMom
    Grandma Pam to 3

"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." – Julia Child

Checking in from sick bay. wow, had a nasty upper respiratory deal. I'm starting to feel like part of humanity again. Days were not too bad but nights.... crud jamming up my throat... have been tough. bad cough. all diminishes during the day but hard to get any sleep.
    not exercising right now, not eating much either. I am NOT a believer in exercise when sick and am laying very low. flat mostly! not eating junk. we had guests for lunch on sunday so I drugged up ( antihistamines, cough syrup, advil, antibiotics) and performed admirably. had a small piece of apple pie ( home made) as the only transgression. I gave them a big chunk of the leftovers, should have given away more but DH will likely polish it off.
    I'm feeling much better today but will be smart and not push my luck by doing too much. I need to go get some prescriptions filled so when DH gets this, as he likely will, we are prepared.
    It's been a long time since I've had anything like this and I don't recommend it.

Congrats on the loss Maria and on sticking to your exercise program. Good luck on the weigh in, emptynestmom!
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

Valerie...sorry to hear you have been so ill...I hope your DH dodges the bullet and you don't have to go through it all over with him!

I weighed in and was down .4 pounds...so I still have.2 of the old weight to lose...next week I hope to lose the old and portion of some new...if I can just remember to use my trick--think, write down and don't deviate (or at least not much!!)...

Hope your weather is as nice as ours, sunny and I think in the 70s today! Wow!! I cannot believe how nice it is here...now if it just stays this way. Meanwhile I will enjoy the sun, the mild temps and the fact that I lost something!!

Hope to hear from some more of you on what's been going on in your life over the past week...have a nice rest of this week!
    EmptyNestMom
    Grandma Pam to 3

"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." – Julia Child

THUD!! That was me falling off the wagon and gorging myself on hamentaschen and brownies. The weight I lost is back on and I'm back on the wagon. I am DETERMINED to be below 140 when I go for my physical in May. I will do it since it is only 3 little pounds...but it seems like forever since I've seen 137-139. (forever meaning before Thanksgiving )

Valerie - hope you feel better soon. I know a couple of people getting over pneumonia, hopefully you don't have that as well.

Weather is is finally winter like (gray, cool and rainy). I am NOT appreciating it even though 'we need the rain'. I am so not a rainy weather girl
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Hi everyone. I've been out of commission for about a week. I got the stomach bug going around the college where I work, and then my DH got it. It really knocked us both for a loop. Obviously, we're not the only ones who've been sick! Valerie, it sounds as if you've really had a hard time. But congrats to Maria and cocoa'smom, and whoever else I might have missed. It seems everyone really is doing well. And we ALL fall off the wagon now and then. If I've learned one thing as I've gotten older, it's that I no longer beat myself up over small setbacks. It's a long journey, and one I hope to be on for the rest of my life. I weigh tonight, and although I was very sick for a few days, when I recovered all I wanted to do was eat! So I'm not so sure about tonight.

Valerie, again, I apolgize for not getting back to you sooner, but my chicken got very crisp and brown. I think it's the Panko, plus I sprayed the chicken with Pam after about 30 minutes of cooking. We loved it, but my sister in Amarillo who's also on Weight Watchers said hers didn't turn out well at all. My best friend in Texarkana texted me that it was her family's new favorite recipe. Go figure!

We DID have over 7 inches of rain in four days. Our pond is lapping at the dock. And it's warm here, and it's so early for that. We usually have snow in March and usually a freeze in April. We got to 76 degrees yesterday! And it's just beautiful in these mountains now. Everything is turning so green and the trees and flowers are budding out. I'm so ready for spring!

Denise
    "If you're lucky enough to live in the mountains, you're lucky enough."

Denise sorry to hear you've been laid low too. I always used to lose weight when I got sick, but even if I don't eat, I don't anymore. the joys of getting older....

I will try the chicken hopefully next week. I'm not hungry enough to do much cooking yet, relying on vegie soup and a deli chicken. I don't think I've tried panko for breading & have some ready to go. just need some appetite.

you're right, a misstep is just a blip on the screen. get back on program and it won't matter in the big picture. don't let a mistake send you off in a new wrong direction.

we are suffering in endless cold and rain. we have a vacation coming up in a week and nothing in driving distance looks much better. This is a la nina year ( weather pattern) and so far it's like 2011, miserable. no water shortage here this year.

went to yoga this morning and will get back to some exercise this afternoon. didn't want to do any heavy breathing that might get the coughing cycle started. feel pretty decent now finally.

Sorry everyone has been sick! I've been well, so far...knock on wood!

Had weigh-in today and lost .8 pounds. I'll take it. Down 9.2 since starting on Feb 9.

The best thing is that I had a physical on Monday and my cholesterol has gone way down. I have posted before that I was on statins, but went off them last April so its been almost a year off. My chol. was 248 when I started taking them. Last February, while on the statins, it was 203. Monday it was 208 without any medication since April. It's only been a little over a month since I started eating better and excercising, so I'm expecting to get it down under 200 very soon!

Denise, just read the chicken recipe again. Italian panko?? all I can find is regular plain panko. I'm guessing they have oregano, basil and garlic added?

Yes, Valerie, Progresso makes Italian Flavored Panko bread crumbs, but if yours is the plain Panko, I'd just add the seasonings you mentioned. Just spice it up a bit.

Denise

So sorry to all of you who've been under the weather!

I've been on vacation so I've been taking a much needed break. I got a massage on Monday -- my second ever! Loved it and I'm going to do it more often. I've worked out every day....yeah! Eats have been okay but not great. Hoping the exercise will help me break even. I've been catching up on laundry, dropped off the dry cleaning and most importantly -- got our shower fixed. Hot water is so nice!!! Hard to believe it's Friday already. Today we're going to see an impressionist exhibit then dinner out. Should be a fun day!
    Stacy

I lost 1.8 pounds this week! I'm now 1-1/2 pounds from a total weight loss of 50 pounds! Woo hoo! And my DH is 1 pound from a total weight loss of 40 pounds! We've lost 90 pounds between us -- a small person! I'm actually in love with Weight Watchers right now!

Spring Break is next week, so I'll be out of touch. I spend my days on the computer (I manage four federal grants) so when I'm off, I'm really off. I totally unplug. I plan to get potatoes, onions, radishes, and lettuce in the garden, and just enjoy the beautiful spring weather. I hope everyone has a great week, and I'll check in again in about 10 days!

Denise

congrats Denise... that's fabulous! 90 lbs is a whole back seat of small children and maybe even a dog....

Envy your good weather, and happy planting. we're still in the winter zone here with no let up in sight. whine whine.

Stacy we are on vacation next week but still not sure where to go. weather is pi$$y everywhere we'd planned, so it will be a last minute choice. we keep joking about needing to drive all the way to Texas to get some sun.

Quote Originally Posted by dcollier View Post
    I lost 1.8 pounds this week! I'm now 1-1/2 pounds from a total weight loss of 50 pounds! Woo hoo! And my DH is 1 pound from a total weight loss of 40 pounds! We've lost 90 pounds between us -- a small person! I'm actually in love with Weight Watchers right now!

Spring Break is next week, so I'll be out of touch. I spend my days on the computer (I manage four federal grants) so when I'm off, I'm really off. I totally unplug. I plan to get potatoes, onions, radishes, and lettuce in the garden, and just enjoy the beautiful spring weather. I hope everyone has a great week, and I'll check in again in about 10 days!

Denise
    Congratulations on your success! That's fantastic. Enjoy Spring Break. Mine is in a couple of weeks. Heading to the beach! I'm sure there will be frozen drinks in my future! Don't care about the points!

Denise, congratulations to the both of you. That is so great. I am about 2 lbs away from reaching my 30 lb total.

Let me try to energize the base! I'm finally over my upper respiratory deal, have been exercising again. not quite as hard yet but getting there as my cough winds down.

So funny stacy, I had one massage in my life and I hated it.... just hated it. I could not stand someone I didn't know touching me. that was a long time ago, but I don't know if I've changed. I never even considered another. it's just strange how different we all are.

Denise I found the italian panko when I stopped in a different store and will be making that chicken soon. I don't eat a lot of meat in my diet, pretty minor component.

I'm getting geared up for a 10 day vacation starting this weekend. not sure exactly what we'll do yet.

Sounds like most of you sick people are on the mend! That is good news!

Stacy I love massages and would get them more often if I could afford them! Well maybe I can afford them but am not sure I want to part with the money for them...but they are sure nice when I talk myself into it!

Lot of trips going on...we are going to be visiting DS and his family this weekend and returning on Tuesday evening. I am so looking forward to it...I hope to keep myself moving enough that it will offset the extra good San Antonio food I eat!!

My weigh in was yesterday and I lost 1 pound...I have finally lost all of the old weight and am working on brand new losses! Yippeeee!!

Have a wonderful week everyone...if you are traveling I wish you safe travels!
    EmptyNestMom
    Grandma Pam to 3

Where is everyone? Hope you're all doing well and losing or at least in a solid holding pattern.

I've been getting back into my workout routine. did the cyclemax on the spin bike 2 days in a row. I went back to regular pedals rather than clip ins and am a lot happier. I do a yoga class 2 days a week and yesterday did a shoulder stand for the first time... against the wall with a spotter but it was fun! I felt 20years younger after I did it. had no idea I was capable of doing anything like that. Later did Cathe's Athletic Training which is a tough workout. needed to pause quite a few times but did it in respectable time.

For vacation we will be doing hiking and mountain biking. so if I'm careful I might even lose a pound or two. Back in 10 days!

I'm here! Wow, you're doing great with your workouts! The best I can do is a 40 minute walk with the dog and 30 minutes on the treadmill at home.

At weigh-in yesterday, I lost .8 for a total of 10 pounds! I am now actually at my goal weight. They had me set my goal there so I can work towards Lifetime and not have to pay. I really would like to lose a few more, though. They have me on maintenance now and I can see how easy it would be to just drop these great new habits I'm developing and slide back into bad habits. I really think if I continue portion control and eating all the fruits and vegetables that I've been eating, I will be OK. I can't imagine going back to where I would mindlessly eat all night, grabbing a couple of cookies here, some chips there, some ice cream, etc....mainly out of boredom. Now I eat frozen grapes whenever I feel the need to put something in my mouth and really enjoy them.

E-tools says I should strive for 28 activity points a week. I normally get 14-16 now and that's a huge improvement over what I was doing before WW (zero). I don't see how I could get to 28!

I'm here and holding steady which is good, but I still want to loose the 5 pounds that crept back on. The next two weeks, my sons (1 each week) will be home for Spring Break. I see the older son frequently as he comes home every other weekend but I haven't seen the younger one since Jan 1. I therefore will be cooking more faithfully which might actually help with the weight loss goals

Valerie - have a great vacation

I keep "forgetting" to weigh in on the Wii... Too foggy in the morning before coffee, and don't want the "added weight" of the coffee on the weigh-in. I think I'm kidding myself -- I don't feel like I've lost, and my pants agree!

What do you think?
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Hi all,

I've been lurking but not posting. I joined WW in January and have lost 16.8 pounds to date. (Good, but a drop in the bucket in terms of what I need to lose.)

Here's the kicker -- last year I lost 20 pounds from January to April, then went on vacation for spring break. I ate too much over spring break and then gradually regained that weight throughout the course of the year.

Now I'm on the same pace to lose 20 pounds and we're going to Florida on spring break (again). I want to make sure I don't repeat last year. So I'm seeking some advice:
    - Any favorite car munchies without many points? The challenge since we're headed to Florida is a hot car.
    - Any favorite restaurants and/or reasonable points items to order at those restaurants?
    - Have you ever gone to a WW meeting on vacation? I'm toying with the idea.

Thanks for any ideas you have!
    Tracy
    My food blog: www.rahchachow.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by schuh View Post
    Hi all,

I've been lurking but not posting. I joined WW in January and have lost 16.8 pounds to date. (Good, but a drop in the bucket in terms of what I need to lose.)

Here's the kicker -- last year I lost 20 pounds from January to April, then went on vacation for spring break. I ate too much over spring break and then gradually regained that weight throughout the course of the year.

Now I'm on the same pace to lose 20 pounds and we're going to Florida on spring break (again). I want to make sure I don't repeat last year. So I'm seeking some advice:
    - Any favorite car munchies without many points? The challenge since we're headed to Florida is a hot car.
    - Any favorite restaurants and/or reasonable points items to order at those restaurants?
    - Have you ever gone to a WW meeting on vacation? I'm toying with the idea.

Thanks for any ideas you have!
    Spring break! That's the challenge for me, too. What I'm thinking: When eating out, NO fried seafood, broiled or grilled only. Watch portions of rice, potato, pasta. Don't eat the entire serving, leave half or take it to go. Car munchies: In a cooler: sliced carrots, cucumbers, grapes, cut up fruit, pretzel sticks. Many brands of hummus is 1 point for 2 tablespoons. Dip pretzel sticks (39 sticks for 3 points) in the hummus. Trader Joe's (if you have one) has Lite Kettle Corn in individual bags for 3 points a bag. You get a pretty decent amount. Chew gum. Even if you don't lose on vacation, if you can avoid gaining, that would be great. Walk the beach a lot to get some exercise. If you drink alcohol, watch the frozen drinks. And track! Even if you don't stay strictly to plan, tracking everything you eat may keep you in check a bit. It will at least make you think about your choices.

Those are my words of wisdom. Let's see if I can follow them myself! Have a great vacation!

Hi all! I'm back from our Spring Break. My niece from Texas visited us over Spring Break, and I cooked a lot. My week "starts" on Friday morning, and by last night, I had used every single one of my 49 extra points!! But in all honesty, I use most of them, if not all, every week. I credit them with keeping me on this program for the last 8-1/2 months. If I couldn't indulge now and then, I do not believe I'd still be sticking with it. My neice left this morning, so I've got four days of sticking to my 26 points ahead of me.

It looks like everyone's doing so well these days! And last Thursday night at my meeting, I hit my 50 pound mark! I got "cheered" by the other members. And I must say that I'm pleased. And more determined than ever to keep at it.

Denise

Hello all!

Sounds like there have been some pretty good losses.

Congrats on hitting 50 pounds Denise!

We had fun at Wisonsin Dells and lucked out with absolutely beautiful weather - high 70's - so we were able to be outside a lot too. Kids had a blast and we all came home with cuts, bruises and bumps. Last week I was slammed at work for some deadlines and finally can come up for air this week.

Busy weekend this past weekend so I did not get a lot of cooking ahead done for the week, like I usually do. I did throw a pork loin in the oven yesterday for CL's Simply Roasted Pork for the week. I also took out some chicken breasts (bone-in) to cook up for an enchilada casserole I wanted to try. They were still frozen yesterday so I am hoping to throw them in the oven tonight.

cocoa'smom - I used to just get in 30 on the treadmill but then lost an activity point so I had to bump it up to 35 to earn 3 .

I've also since realized that if I go 45 minutes, I earn 4 but I usually only get that in on the weekends. My little guy's limit for me being on the treadmill is about a half hour (he wants to join me).

There was a Girl Scout outing at a local skating rink yesterday so I took DD (she is a Daisy) and skatd with her. Two hours of somewhat consistent exercise altough I didn't count any of it because we were going pretty slow. Her first time on skates.

I've held out until 20 of tweleve for lunch but must eat now. Most days I am eating at 11 so i'm trying to stretch it out a bit (and that is with some fruit mid morning for a snack).
    Maria

Cocoa'sMom, thanks for the reply. Hopefully having some kind of a plan will work out better than winging it.

Denise, congrats on 50 pounds! Amazing! It's good to know you can do that and still enjoy the extra 49 points.
    Tracy
    My food blog: www.rahchachow.blogspot.com

Tracy
    I would plan on maintaining my weight over vacation instead of trying to lose weight.

Snacks - I would go for fruits and veggies and call it 0 points.

Special foods (can ONLY get on vacation), limit portion and realize that the 3rd bite doesn't taste any better than the 1st two bites and stop there (dessert especially).

Sightsee/walk/swim/exercise naturally

ENJOY!

Denise - congratulations!

I am back from San Antonio...had a good time and ate quite a few things I normally don't eat...I have not weighed in but will do so next Tuesday...I think I gained about 1 1/2 pounds, but I am back on track...

One thing to remember on vacation is that vacation is just that...usually a break away from your normal daily life...when you get back home you have to pick up where you left off...go back to work, do dishes, dust, vacuum, clean the toilet but most of all you have to go back to eating the way you did before you left!!! I have forgotten that often in the past and then...well I imagine many of you have been there and done that

Denise congratulations on your 50 pounds!

I second the advise of others on what to eat on vacation...try to avoid fried food, limit carbs if possible, portion control, get in an extra walk or go dancing...in the car stick to "natural food", i.e. things that grow in a garden or on a tree...then you are eating healthy and don't have to worry about points.
    If you attend WW meetings ask for tips at your next meeting...I am always amazed at what people suggest and how many of the suggestions I can actually use. If you have never done the Simply Filling Technique find out about that...you still need to keep track but if you eat certain foods you don't count points and only count points for those foods not on that list and you get 49 points for the week...whatever you do on vacation, if you come home and have gained go back to eating OP again...don't just give up...!!

Well, hope everyone has a good rest of the week! We are expecting storms here later today...maybe hail. I hope it waits until I am home from work!!
    EmptyNestMom
    Grandma Pam to 3