Community Message Boards
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 46 of 46

Thread: Rush Limbaugh

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    1,598

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    De Pere, WI
    Posts
    3,182
    Quote Originally Posted by tbb113 View Post
    only if it turned his penis green. I would need visual proof that it was actually being used
    rotflmao!

    Good one, Tyra!
    "I cook with wine; sometimes I even add it to the food."
    ---W.C.Fields

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    7,842
    It is all so unbelievable. I was in the US recently and saw shows and channels we do not get up here-at least I don't get them.

    I felt physically ill by what I was hearing.

    It is vital that women stand up against the thinking and hatred of people like RL. We have worked too hard and come to far ...and by the way where are the leading feminists? I have not heard anything from them..or are they just being crowded out by the crazies?

    Seriously contraception as an election issue in 2012?

    Nice to hear Obama phoned that young woman to offer his support.
    You think you're not ever going to be able to eat another thing, but alas, you will find yourself feeling strangely peckish around teatime. The more you eat, the more you want. That's the way it goes."

    Nigella Lawson

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    San Ramon, CA
    Posts
    12,858
    Quote Originally Posted by kima View Post
    Seriously contraception as an election issue in 2012?
    I don't think the Republican Party has anything else to bring to the table this year. The economy is improving, Obama's foreign policy is working, the GOP doesn't seem to have a job plan, tax plan or any other plan that they want to talk about. So, they can throw up crazy things and hope something sticks.

    It is just going to be so hard for them to get 'to the middle' for the actual election and try and win over independents and more conservative democrats.

    In so many ways, on the national level, the GOP and its supporters are a gift to the Dems.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

  5. #35
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Where the buffalo roam
    Posts
    3,043
    The Sunday morning talk shows were interesting on this topic. George Will commented that Boehner's statement that it was "inappropriate" was not strong enough. I think he said "inappropriate" is when you use a salad fork instead of a dinner fork.

    I had told a friend on Saturday that I lost even more respect for Mitt for not repudiating his words. At least Santorum - who is AGAINST birth control said Limbaugh's words were absurb. On Meet the Press, they made this point as well - that it was a lost opportunity for Mitt and that by not saying anything, he showed that he lacked political courage.

    On This Week, the panel made the comment about how the nominees are afraid of Rush.

    And as far as his apology - what a joke. He clearly didn't mean it.
    Sherri

    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    7,926
    Quote Originally Posted by SDMomChef View Post

    I had told a friend on Saturday that I lost even more respect for Mitt for not repudiating his words. At least Santorum - who is AGAINST birth control said Limbaugh's words were absurb. On Meet the Press, they made this point as well - that it was a lost opportunity for Mitt and that by not saying anything, he showed that he lacked political courage.

  7. #37
    Maybe Romney didn't understand what Rush Limbaugh said about the law student, was it Nazi feminists that he callled them --- just like when Romney "misunderstood" what the reporter asked him regarding the Blunt Amendment. But a few hours later, he got enlightened and changed his answer that he of course was for the Blunt Amendment.

    How typical it would be if Romney addresses what Limbaugh said days after it happened. I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to grab a bit, of what many perceived as a missed opportunity.

    Limbaugh is pathetic. Always has been. But it is disgraceful how he can say such things (not the first time he has been so disgusting) but with so little consequence.
    Last edited by applecrisp; 03-04-2012 at 05:26 PM.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    7,926
    This made me laugh.




  9. #39
    Gumbeaux's joke isn't much of a joke since Limbaugh LITERALLY attacked another young woman by categorizing her

    with all these young single white women” who, he said, are “overeducated”—but not necessarily intelligent!

    The woman he was unleashing his rage against is Tracie McMillan who just wrote a book called The American Way of Eating about her experience working as an expeditor at Applebees; migrant worker and produce clerk at Walmarts. I had read an excerpt of the book and was planning to read it. It reminded me somewhat of Nickel and Dimed but with an emphasis on food.

    Evidently - and this isn't the portion I read - she offended Limbaugh because she *claimed* that ghetto areas are ill served with fresh food and that there are a lot of reasons why poorer families have a harder time getting a really nutritional diet than wealthier people.

    I know this whole issue has been discussed and it's not impossible but IME there is a dearth of good supermarkets in poorer areas and the people often lack transportation.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    1,598
    Quote Originally Posted by amarante View Post
    The woman he was unleashing his rage against is Tracie McMillan who just wrote a book called The American Way of Eating about her experience working as an expeditor at Applebees; migrant worker and produce clerk at Walmarts. I had read an excerpt of the book and was planning to read it. It reminded me somewhat of Nickel and Dimed but with an emphasis on food.

    Evidently - and this isn't the portion I read - she offended Limbaugh because she *claimed* that ghetto areas are ill served with fresh food and that there are a lot of reasons why poorer families have a harder time getting a really nutritional diet than wealthier people.

    I know this whole issue has been discussed and it's not impossible but IME there is a dearth of good supermarkets in poorer areas and the people often lack transportation.
    Slightly off topic but I recently read a review of this new book in the NY Times and am currentlly on a waiting list at the library. Not surprised that Rush would trash the book and its author.
    Adopt a shelter cat!
    www.arascolorado.org

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Columbus, OH USA
    Posts
    5,248
    Here is a quote today from Sarah Palin. THis is from the USA today.

    While some Republicans have noted it was appropriate for the conservative icon to apologize, others such as Sarah Palin say Limbaugh has been subjected to a double standard.

    "I think the definition of hypocrisy is for Rush Limbaugh to have been called out, forced to apologize and retract what it is that he said in exercising his First Amendment rights," Palin told CNN on Tuesday night. "And never is ... the same applied to the leftist radicals who say such horrible things about the handicapped, about women, about the defenseless. So I think that's the definition of hypocrisy. And that's my two cents worth."

    Really? When does slander look like 1st amendment rights? I don't recall a 'leftist radical' ever calling a young woman a slut so that we'd have something to compare this to. Anyone...anyone?
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Vista CA
    Posts
    435
    Just wondering where all the outrage was when Bill Maher called Sarah Palin a c**t and a tw** more than once. Or is it ok for him to call names?

  13. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by donleyk View Post
    Here is a quote today from Sarah Palin. THis is from the USA today.

    While some Republicans have noted it was appropriate for the conservative icon to apologize, others such as Sarah Palin say Limbaugh has been subjected to a double standard.

    "I think the definition of hypocrisy is for Rush Limbaugh to have been called out, forced to apologize and retract what it is that he said in exercising his First Amendment rights," Palin told CNN on Tuesday night. "And never is ... the same applied to the leftist radicals who say such horrible things about the handicapped, about women, about the defenseless. So I think that's the definition of hypocrisy. And that's my two cents worth."

    Really? When does slander look like 1st amendment rights? I don't recall a 'leftist radical' ever calling a young woman a slut so that we'd have something to compare this to. Anyone...anyone?
    The closest I can think of is an anchor on MSNBC (Ed Schultz) who called Laura Ingraham a right wing slut. He immediately offered a real apology and was suspended for a week without pay.

    Without defending Schultz, because I don't think name calling raises the level of discourse, his use of the opprobrium was not directed at her actual sexual proclivities but was stupid name calling.

    Again without defending his use, people do often speak of mouthpieces as pimping for their "cause" or whoring out their principles which is removed from direct sexual innuendo.

    Schultz was criticizing Ingraham for what he saw as her hypocritical criticism of President Obama for drinking beer in Ireland while a tornado was destroying Joplin, Missouri:

    Rain, thunderstorms, winds getting whipped into tornadoes of horrific proportions. Hot weather, all of this stuff. And what are the Republicans thinking about? They're not thinking about their next-door neighbor. They're just thinking about how much this is going to cost. President Obama is going to be visiting Joplin, Missouri, on Sunday. But you know what they're talking about? Like this right-wing slut, what's her name, Laura Ingraham? Yeah, she's a talk slut. You see, she was, back in the day, praising President Reagan when he was drinking a beer overseas. But now that Obama's doing it, they're working him over.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Baja Manitoba
    Posts
    3,737
    Yeah, Ed Schultz is kind of a left-wing Limbaugh - he used to be on our local radio before he became nationally syndicated, and I would turn him off just as much as I turn off Limbaugh. Although I don't think there's anyone on the left who can compare to Rush Limbaugh for sheer name recognition - the level of anger directed at him is directly proportional to his level of media influence.
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Posts
    5,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    Just wondering where all the outrage was when Bill Maher called Sarah Palin a c**t and a tw** more than once. Or is it ok for him to call names?
    There was outrage at the names Maher called Palin. They were out of line as well. There are a couple of differences though:

    * Maher is watched as an entertainer and Sarah IS a public figure. His show is on HBO so his audience is primarily the people who pay for that station.

    * Limbaugh is watched as voice/head of the Republican party (even though he's SUPPOSED to be an entertainer...a pompous one at that)...but Fluke is ABSOLUTELY not a public figure. She is a college student who was not even testifying about herself but about a friend who required BCP for another medical reason. His show is played all over the freaking place and it's heard by anyone who happens to hit that station...intentionally or not.

  16. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,482
    Quote Originally Posted by donleyk View Post
    Here is a quote today from Sarah Palin. THis is from the USA today.
    "And never is ... the same applied to the leftist radicals who say such horrible things about the handicapped, about women, about the defenseless. So I think that's the definition of hypocrisy. And that's my two cents worth."
    WHAT? Who on the left is saying horrible things about "the handicapped, about women, about the defenseless"? Unless she's talking about herself, I'm baffled!
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •