Community Message Boards

Thread: magnolia bakery

Hybrid View

magnolia bakery

I'm just back from a brief visit to NY. While re-visiting my old neighborhood, I got to stop in to the Magnolia Bakery. I picked up a blueberry crumble muffin and the apple cranberry walnut muffin.

anyone have a recipe for their apple-cran muffin? It was fabulous and it didn't feel quite so 1000-calorie decadent . . .

Anyone else have a fave from there? The clerk gave me a sample of the ohmygoodnessamazing banana pudding.

Sorry, don't have the muffin you want. In "The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook" I found this blueberry muffin (below--not what you want) and and an oatmeal muffin and a corn muffin.
    Also, there are some crumb PIES (an Apple Crumb and a Blueberry Crumb) and a raspberry crumb BAR. But darn, no apple-crumb MUFFINS.
    I think they published one or two other cookbooks; maybe it's in one of those. I have not tried any recipes from the book, but here's one for somebody to try if so desired.

Edited to add: I just looked inside the 2 other Magnolia books at Amazon. Nope. That muffin isn't in them. Sorry. "The Complete Magnolia Bakery Cookbook", however, has a Banana Pudding...something like Magnolia's World Famous Banana Pudding.

Edited again to ask: Do you want the Apple Crumb Pie?

Catbatty

* Exported from MasterCook *

Blueberry Muffins

Recipe By :The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook by Jennifer Appel & Allysa Torey
    Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Muffins

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup sugar -- plus
    1 tablespoon sugar -- (for sprinkling)
    1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    2 large eggs -- lightly beaten
    1 1/2 cups buttermilk
    6 tablespoons unsalted butter -- melted and cooled slightly
    (3/4 stick)
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 1/2 cups blueberries -- lightly coated with flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease well a 12-cup muffin tin.

In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients, making a well in the center. Stir in the liquid ingredients until just combined, being careful not to overmix. Batter may be lumpy. Gently fold the blueberries into the batter.

Fill the muffin cups about three-quarters full. Lightly sprinkle with the reserved tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 20-22 minutes until lightly golden or a cake tester inserted into center of muffin comes out with moist crumbs attached. Do not overbake.

MAKES 12 MUFFINS

Copyright:
    "Simon & Schuster; 1999; ISBN: 0-684-85910-6"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Nothing makes a cheerful morning like the smell of fresh muffins baking in the kitchen. These muffins originally called for whole milk, but substituting buttermilk really adds a special tangy moistness. Our friend Johnny Parker wouldn't think of getting on a plane to go away on business without at least half a dozen of these in his carry-on!
    Last edited by catbatty; 03-06-2012 at 01:00 AM.

I have this in my to try pile, it may be a starting off point for you.

http://judithcooks.blogspot.com/2010...g-muffins.html

So, when I was working in New York City a few weeks ago, I discovered an absolutely delicious apple, cranberry and walnut muffin from the famous Magnolia Bakery. Super yummy indeed!...I made this delicacy my New York morning ritual, and, when I got back home to Atlanta I did my utmost to recreate the texture and flavors of this moist muffin, loaded up with tart green apple, cranberries and a crispy topping. Of course, I just had to switch the walnuts out for pecans as I am in Georgia, of course!

So, the red cranberries and the bright green skin of Granny Smith apples make these muffins a colorful contribution to holiday brunch parties or family gatherings, or just as a welcome indulgence on these crisp, cold mornings to munch on with your hot, hot coffee...

Packed with good anti-oxidants, give these beauties a go this Fall and let me know what you think!

Enjoy!
    Judith the Irish Foodie

Apple, Cranberry and Pecan Muffins

(makes 12)

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
    • ½ cup whole wheat flour
    • 1 tsp baking soda
    • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
    • ¼ tsp ground cloves
    • 1/4 tsp salt
    • 2 large eggs
    • ¾ cup dark brown sugar
    • ¼ cup vegetable oil plus 2 Tbsp melted butter
    • 1 tsp vanilla
    • 1 large granny smith or any tart apple (1 ½ cups chopped with skins on)
    • ½ cup cranberries
    • 3/4 cup pecans (toasted and chopped)

(cinnamon topping)

• 3 Tbsp demerara sugar
    • ½ tsp cinnamon
    • 2 Tbsp melted butter

How to make it:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease or line muffin tins with paper cups.
    2. Combine flours, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and sieve in to a large bowl.
    3. In another large bowl or cake mixer whisk together the eggs, sugar, oil, melted butter and vanilla. Add the flour mixture to the liquid ingredients and stir to combine. Fold in the apples, pecans and cranberries.
    4. Use an ice cream scoop to spoon batter in to prepared muffin cups. Mix the melted butter with cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle over muffin tops.
    5. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until muffins are firm to the touch.

Posted by Judith McLoughlin

Thanks to you both for the replies!
    I'd love the recipe for the apple crumb pie if you get a chance. If I get a chance to make the apple muffins this w/end I'll be sure to post how it goes.
    thanks again!

Apple Crumb Pie a la Magnolia Bakery (per request)

Here you go.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Apple Crumb Pie

Recipe By :The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook by Jennifer Appel & Allysa Torey
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Pies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    CRUST
    1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
    3 tablespoons ice water
    FILLING
    3 tablespoons sugar
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
    3 cups tart apples -- peeled, cored, and sliced
    such as Granny Smith
    CRUMB TOPPING
    2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 cups light brown sugar -- unpacked
    1 cup unsalted butter -- softened
    cut into small pieces
    (2 sticks)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

To make the crust: Place the flour in a large bowl and, using a pastry blender, cut in the shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle the ice water by tablespoons over the flour mixture, tossing with a fork until all the dough is moistened. Form dough into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to fit into a 9-inch glass pie dish. Fold the edges under all around the rim and crimp.

To prepare the filling: In a large bowl, combine the sugar, the flour, and the cinnamon. Add the apple slices and toss gently until coated. Transfer the apple mixture into the pie crust.

To prepare the topping: In a medium-size bowl, mix together the flour and the brown sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Sprinkle the crumb topping over the apple mixture until well covered. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes, then turn down the oven to 375 degrees and continue baking for an additional 25-35 minutes or until golden brown on top. Serve warm with sweetened whipped cream, if desired.

MAKES ONE 9-INCH PIE

Copyright:
    "Simon & Schuster; 1999; ISBN: 0-684-85910-6"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : After much experimenting with crusts, crumbs, and apples, Allysa came up with this recipe as a teenager and has been making it for her family ever since.

Apple, Cranberry and Pecan Muffins

I have had this recipe in my to try pile for a while, and after posting it here, I decided it was time to make them.

These were more fruit than muffin, had a nice flavour. The batter portion of the muffin is very thick, almost paste like, so I was a little concerned that something may be off in the recipe. Went ahead and baked them, and they worked out fine.

If anyone tries these, the instructions call for melted butter to be added twice, once in the batter once in the topping, but it only calls for 1 measurement of melted butter not 2 (if that makes sense). I used the melted butter for the topping.

I am not a big fan of cranberries, so I replaced them with raspberries. They taste awesome.