Community Message Boards

Thread: Need cookie bar recipe without nuts.

Need cookie bar recipe without nuts.

Please.

I have to bake for a school bake sale on Saturday. But we have to drop the stuff off on Friday. Which means it is all going to sit out and a cake or cupcakes are going to be way too high maintenance to package and transport.

Since I cannot make drop cookies to save my life...

Anyone have a T&T cookie bar recipe I won't mess up? Has to be able to sit out and have no nuts.

And sell well at a school bake sale.

I seem to remember a chocolate chip cookie & brownie combo one but can't find the recipe.

I had a bake sale last weekend and spent a lot of time browsing at Anna's blog, looking for recipes. I settled on her Big Batch Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars and left the nuts out. I cut them into rather large bars Friday night and put them individually into sandwich zipper bags. The were for a sale on Saturday and were just as good the next day as fresh out of the pan.

They went fast! By the time we got there, the cookie bars were gone, but the rice krispie treats I'd also made were still in abundance. I think the specific labeling of "no nuts" also helped.

She also has dozens of brownie recipes that I'm now drooling over.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Here is the thread with the chocolate chip cookie/brownie combination.

I've made them a number of times and they are well received by the teenagers who eat them.

These are also very good

Bonnie (BBenedict) posted this awhile ago and it is very good

Snickerdoodle Blondies
    My Baking Addiction Blog

Ingredients
    2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon grated or ground nutmeg
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 cups packed brown sugar
    1 cup butter, room temperature
    2 eggs, at room temperature
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    2 tablespoons granulated sugar
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    a pinch nutmeg

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease and/or line a 9x13 inch pan. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and set aside.

2. In large bowl, beat together butter and brown sugar for 3-5 minutes. Add in the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla, and beat until smooth.

3. Stir in the flour mixture until well blended. Spread evenly in prepared pan (mixture will be somewhat cookiebatter-ish, so it’s best to spread it out with a greased spatula or your hands). Combine the granulated sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a little bowl. Evenly sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture over the top of the batter.

4. Bake 25-30 minutes or until surface springs back when gently pressed. Cool before cutting. Makes 20-24 bars.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

If you want something stupid-simple, you can make the toll house cookie recipe on the back of the Nestle's chocolate chip bag and just cook it in a pan rather than dropping the cookies. They used to include this variation on the bag, but don't know if they do any more.

I've posted the Starbucks Cranberry Bliss Bar before, it's very good. A little work, but tasty: http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...ad.php?t=67769

I've also posted the Land O Lakes Butterscotch Blondies recipe many times here, and they are always surprisingly popular when I make them. Alas, all the posts are rather old so they recipe has that weird symbol substitution instead of fractions we see in old posts. It doesn't seem to be on the Land O Lakes site, but I can retype it this evening if you're interested. If you want to see the version with the symbol problem, here's one: http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...d.php?t=105856. I usually double the recipe and make it in a 9x13 pan.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

Black Cherry-oatmeal Crunch Squares
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Williams-Sonoma
    Serving Size: 24

Ingredients:

1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1-1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
    1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1 cup (2 sticlks) cold, unsalted butter, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
    1 cup black cherry jam

Directions:

Position a rack in the middle of the oven, and preheat to 325 degrees. Butter a 9-inch square baking pan.

By hand: In a large bowl, stir together the flour, rolled oats, brown sugar and cinnamon until blended. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the butter until the mixture forms large, coarse crumbs the size of small peas.

By food processor: Combine the flour, rolled oats and brown sugar and pulse two or three times until blended. Add the butter and pulse eight to 10 times until the mixture forms large, coarse crumbs the size of peas.

Remove two cups of the crumb mixture and set aside. Press the remaining crumb mixture into the bottom and 1 inch up the side of the prepared pan.

Drop teaspoons of the jam evenly over the crust, then spread it gently with the back of the spoon to cover the crust. If a few spaces remain, they will be covered by jam, since it melts during baking. Sprinkle the reserved crumbs evenly over the jam layer.

Bake until the top is lightly browned, 50 to 55 minutes. Transfer to a rack and let cool until firm, about 2 hours. Using a large, sharp knife, cut into 25 small squares. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days.

Notes:

Times testing notes: Take the pan out of the oven when the crust is lightly brown, not when it looks firm. It will firm as it cools. Great for potlucks because they are portable.

Triple Cherry Chocolate Chip Brownies
    (This is popular with both adults & kids. At work so don't have my recipe, but you can use any brownie recipe.)
    After batter is mixed, fold in 1/3 cup cherry preserves, 1/3 cup dried cherries, 1/2 cup drained maraschino cherries, 1/2 cup semi sweet morsels. Bake in pan lined with parchment paper according to brownie recipe baking instructions. Spread chilled ganache over cooled brownies.
    Ganache
    1/4 cup heavy cream
    1/2 cup semi sweet morsels

Place morsels in small bowl.
    Place cream in small saucepan and heat over medium low heat until small bubbles form around the edge of pan.DO NOT BOIL. Pour heated cream over morsels and let sit 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. place in refrigerator until thoroughly chilled.

CL's Raspberry Strippers (but they can be a bit delicate for transporting and bake sale handling.

Lemon Bars

and this one -- one of my earliest standards, along with Toll House, of course

Glazed Cinnamon Bars

1 c butter or margarine
    1 c firmly packed brown sugar
    1 egg, separated
    1 3/4 c all-purpose flour
    1 T cinnamon
    pinch salt
    1/2 cup unsifted powdered sugar
    (calls for 1 c nuts to sprinkle on top but I don't remember ever doing that)

Cream butter, sugar and egg yolk. Blend flour, cinnamon and salt and add to creamed mixture. Mix well. Spread into an even layer in a lightly greased 15x10x1 inch jelly roll pan.

Beat egg white until frothy. Stir in powdered sugar abd brush mixture over dough in pan. (Sprinkle with nuts, coarse sugar, chips or something else if desired)

Bake at 350 for 30 to 35 min, Cut while still hot. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack. Make 4 dozen.

Ooooh, I might make those cherry brownies for the 4th of July this year. Those sound yummy.

But I'm not spending $$$ on dried cherries for a school function.

I'm going to do the brownie/cookie ones. And I bought stuff to do rice krispie treats.

The others posted sound good but, really, I have a mental block when it comes to cookies and I'm afraid I'll mess them up and I need to get them all done this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by funniegrrl View Post
    If you want something stupid-simple, you can make the toll house cookie recipe on the back of the Nestle's chocolate chip bag and just cook it in a pan rather than dropping the cookies. They used to include this variation on the bag, but don't know if they do any more.
    This is on Nestle's web-site.

"PAN COOKIE VARIATION: Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan. Prepare dough as above. Spread into prepared pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack. Makes 4 dozen bars."
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

Quote Originally Posted by tbb113 View Post
    Here is the thread with the chocolate chip cookie/brownie combination.

I've made them a number of times and they are well received by the teenagers who eat them.
    I would like to report back that these are very good and very rich. I will definitely make them again.

Glad you liked them. My younger son brought them to a theater pot-luck in high school. A friend asked my son "will your mom adopt me?" after eating them
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?