Community Message Boards

Thread: Gardening ? : gloves & clean nails

Gardening ? : gloves & clean nails

Anyone have gloves that truly work?

I have about a dozen pairs. None of them work. I have cheapies and fancy ones and rubber ones and no matter what I do I end up with dirt under my nails and along the sides. I've even tried wearing latex ones underneath gardening gloves but then my hands get all sweaty.

Or does anyone have a method of cleaning your nails? I can get the dirt out from under the tips but the stuff that gets under the sides is impossible to get out.

Anyone?

Have you tried nitrile gloves? They are a knit glove with a nitrile palm added for durability. They're the only gloves I like, and they're quite inexpensive. Gardener's Supply has them: Nitrile gloves.
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

Oooh, those look nice. Haven't tried those. Have you seen them in stores or just online?

Quote Originally Posted by ClaraB View Post
    Have you tried nitrile gloves? They are a knit glove with a nitrile palm added for durability. They're the only gloves I like, and they're quite inexpensive. Gardener's Supply has them: Nitrile gloves.
    Yes! I just bought myself a pair, and am amazed at how well they work! I've gone through so many gardening gloves over the years. I've only used them a few times, but so far I am sold!
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

I've gotten similar gloves at our local Menard's (Midwest hardware chain), but the ones on the website look a lot cuter .
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

They sell them at Lowe's, Home Depot, and all local nurseries. I start out wearing a pair, but they never stay on for long.

Buy a nail brush and keep it in the shower.

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    They sell them at Lowe's, Home Depot, and all local nurseries. I start out wearing a pair, but they never stay on for long.

Buy a nail brush and keep it in the shower.
    I wish there was an option that didn't require a shower. I often go from yardwork to school pick up to housework before a shower and I hate having dirty looking hands for hours.

I hate gardening for this very reason. DH does most of it, and I only do the pots, but I still get dirty hands. I found this online.

http://tipnut.com/gardeners-hands/

Quote Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post
    I wish there was an option that didn't require a shower. I often go from yardwork to school pick up to housework before a shower and I hate having dirty looking hands for hours.
    Then keep the nail brush wherever you wash your hands.

I just bought a 3 pair pack of the Nitrile gloves at Costco for $8.

I find that keeping my nails relatively short (< 1/8 inch long) helps somewhat. As another gardner who doesn't like wearing gloves I put up with sometimes stained hands. I apply a basic undercoating before starting into the garden - when I remember - and that helps too. I'm going to try the fingernails in the bar soap next. I also keep a fingernail brush by every sink in the house.
    Anne

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    Then keep the nail brush wherever you wash your hands.
    I have a nail brush at every sink in the house-- can't stand anything under them... though, having tender cuticles, I need to use a softer brush, and sometimes buy a soft toothbrush for the purpose-- it has a greater ability to get things from odd angles, you know?

I have this problem in spades!. I get dirt down the sides of my nails. nothing, nothing gets it out. my right hand is chronically "dark" from dirt down the sides of my nails. I've tried nail brushes, washing my hair, sitting in a hot tub with those fingers over the jet. nails short, nails longer. makes no different. nail brushes( toothbrushes) help some especially for the ends, but the sides, not really. more a problem on right hand than left.. I use nitrile gloves and wash the gloves themselves inside out, but still the problem continues.

any other ideas? I often wear nail polish to cover because they will not come clean.
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

I don’t use gloves and have to deal w/ this issue constantly. What works for me is to use a soft nailbrush and an exfoliating scrub when I wash up after I’m done for the day. My current favorite is a loofah exfoliating scrub made by Earth Therapeutics. Not all stores that carry their products carry the entire line – so check if you can find it on line. There are many, many other exfoliating scrubs available (lots are just facial – but why limit them to that?) by other makers and they all have given me pretty good results. I’ve just managed to find a bunch of tubes of this current fave at a great price – so stocked up for the season.

A friend of mine uses an old electric toothbrush head to do her nails with. You know the narrow head one made to use as a pic? That works for her.
    Last edited by rosen; 03-21-2012 at 07:37 AM.
    "I can read and write if that's what you mean. I'm not thick or anything just don't ask me where the commas go."
    Incendiary by Chris Cleave

Nitrile gloves have really helped my stained nail and cuticle problem. I've also started applying a really generous coating of hand cream before putting on my gloves. Although hydrogen peroxide is drying, I apply it with a cotton swab to get at stubborn stains. Just be sure to follow up with a good cream or lotion.

I like the cotton gloves that are dipped in rubber.

And I love these: http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...=2,42551,10259

I bought a dozen about 5 years ago, have one at every sink and shower and one at work. They last a long time, are soft and comfortable and really, really work! I set them in the soap dish, with the bar of soap on top, which keeps the soap from getting soggy.

I just planted 75 strawberry plants, barehanded, and that brush took every bit of soil out from under my nails. I use them on my feet, too!

Quote Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
    I like the cotton gloves that are dipped in rubber.

And I love these: http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/p...=2,42551,10259
    Very neat!
    Also wanted to recommend Fells Naptha soap-- it's what we used in art classes to get oil paint off of our brushes and hands-- but it's not something you want to overuse. Using a good hand salve before the work helps too.

Just throwing an idea out there, but I haven't ever used it. What about that Goop soap/handwash stuff? The stuff that auto mechanics use?? I'm pretty sure it's called Goop. If it works on grease, maybe it'll work on dirt??

I am going to try this in the near future.

http://youtu.be/nRD_i_NGQbM

Quote Originally Posted by zwieback View Post
    Mine had that too so I bought it today!

I also picked up 2 nail brushes.

Hopefully this combo will work.

Sometimes it is easier for me to get the dirt out from underneath the fingernails than from the cracks (crevasses?) in my hands. I remember going to the grocery store a couple days after blueberry picking and having the checker ask if my hands hurt a lot. The next person in line piped up and said - 'she's been picking blueberries' saving me the need of a response. We are small town here and that type of talk happens.
    Anne

I haven't tried it, because I don't like stuff under my nails either, but I read somewhere else if you dig your nails into a bar of soap it helps to keep the dirt out. I don't wear gardening gloves, I like to feel the dirt between my fingers. If anybody says anything I just tell them I've been playing in the dirt. My coworkers think I'm weird anyway.

I squirt some Dawn liquid into my palm, then add about a teaspoon of salt, a little water and scrub. Afterward, use a good hand cream. I just don't expect my hands/nails to look decent from March through June.
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

Quote Originally Posted by zwieback View Post
    I opened the package today and realized it isn't 3 pairs, it's 6 pairs! Even better. They are comfortable and work great, although, they did leave a smell on my hands. Nothing that a couple of hand washes didn't fix, though.