Community Message Boards

Thread: Baked Risotto

Baked Risotto

The current Oprah magazine has a recipe in it for Bacon and Pea Baked risotto. I have never made risotto and thought this would be fun to try. What I haven't figured out is what should be served with it. The whole recipe has 4 slices of bacon. Does there need to be a protein served along side? Salad?
    Thanks so much.
    K

It sounds to me that just a salad side would do... but I'm no expert! Hmmm, maybe I'd better look at that magazine, unless you'd be willing to post the recipe???
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Found it!

From O magazine, April 2012

Most risotto recipes require standing at the stove and stirring the pot continuously; this simpler version lets the oven do all the work.
    Serves 4 to 6
    Ingredients
    •4 strips bacon, chopped
    •1 onion, chopped
    •1½ cups Arborio rice
    •½ cup dry white wine
    •4 cups chicken broth or water
    •1 tsp. kosher salt
    •½ tsp. ground black pepper
    •1 cup frozen peas
    •½ cup chopped basil, plus more for garnish
    •2 to 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
    •1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces), plus more for garnish

Directions

Active time: 20 minutes
    Total time: 45 minutes

Preheat oven to 400°. Using an oven-safe, straight-sided saucepan or Dutch oven with a lid, cook bacon over medium-high heat. When cooked through, remove bacon and set aside, reserving fat in pan. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add rice and stir to coat with bacon fat. Stir in wine and cook until it has evaporated, 1 minute more. Stir in broth, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and bake 20 to 25 minutes; check the risotto. Most of the liquid should be absorbed and the rice just cooked. Stir in peas and basil and return to oven, uncovered, for 5 more minutes.

Remove risotto from oven and stir in butter and cheese. Add reserved bacon, season to taste with salt and pepper, and spoon into bowls. Shave additional Parmesan over the top and garnish with basil.

Baked Risotto Four Fresh Ways

Start with our recipe (simply leave out the peas and bacon and sauté the onions with 2 Tbsp. olive oil), and then pick a variation below.

Shrimp, tomato, and mozzarella: Follow the basic recipe, cooking 1 pint grape tomatoes along with the onions. After 20 minutes in the oven, covered, stir in 8 ounces halved, peeled, and deveined shrimp. Return to oven 5 minutes. Instead of Parmesan cheese, stir in 1 packed cup grated mozzarella along with butter.

Sweet onion, sausage, and spinach: Follow the basic recipe, using a sweet onion instead of a white one. Cook 9 ounces crumbled Italian sausage with the onions. After 25 minutes in the oven, covered, stir in 3 packed cups baby spinach (5 ounces), along with Parmesan cheese and butter.

Artichoke, ricotta, and mint: Follow the basic recipe. After 25 minutes in the oven, covered, stir in 8 ounces quartered canned artichoke hearts (the water drained), along with ¾ to 1 cup more warm broth or water, ½ cup grated Parmesan, ½ cup ricotta cheese, and butter. Top each portion with chopped mint and lemon zest.

Wild mushroom and Fontina: Follow the basic recipe, cooking 8 ounces sliced mixed mushrooms (like button, crimini, oyster, or shiitake) with the onions. After 25 minutes in the oven, covered, stir in 1 packed cup Fontina cheese (instead of Parmesan cheese) along with butter

Read more: http://www.oprah.com/food/Baked-Riso...#ixzz1q8Jtt3E1
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    ... Does there need to be a protein served along side? Salad?
    Thanks so much.
    K
    K, I got so excited about finding the recipe that I forgot to answer your question! When I make risotto, I usually just serve it with baked or grilled fish or chicken...and we do sometimes have it with just a salad...depends on how many WW Points I want to use for the day

Thanks for a great post!!

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Thanks. It sounds so good and easy. I don't want to make it complicated. Maybe a little chicken breast will do.

This turned out to be fantastic! We loved it. It really is easy and the risotto was perfectly cooked, creamy yet not mushy. I roasted some brussels sprouts in the oven at the same time. It was a very successful new recipe.

I made a variation on this last night (no bacon, but added some leftover roast chicken at the end), and it was good. I think that risotto cooked on the stove does come out a little creamier, but this simplified technique made a nice, low-fuss dinner.

Thanks for posting!

Amy

On Sunday I made the mushroom/fontina cheese variation and it also was delicious. I think you could take it out of the oven sooner and it would be creamier. My family loved it.

Thanks for posting the recipe AND the variations! I've heard of baked risotto but have never made it like that!

I have a bag of peas that's opened (and bacon in the fridge)that will be perfect for the 1st version!

My neighbor needs gluten free foods and this looks outstanding. Am trying it with ham so it is a main course for her and husband and just had to add Fontina because it is so buttery.

Will be looking for similar gluten-free recipes to take over. I keep thinking that if I were gluten-free I would find so many recipes to enjoy with potatoes, rice and corn. (I don't care about desserts so it easier for me to say that)

Out of oven: looks so creamy! Will save some for me
    Had some for dinner. Verrrrrrry creamy.
    Last edited by margeslp; 04-21-2012 at 05:05 PM.

I made this again last night and made the shrimp version. I added in some mushrooms and it was so delicious! Its a big recipe for two, so we will be having it again for dinner on Sunday. So glad to find a recipe that is delicious and has many variations.

Thanks so much for posting this! I made the wild mushroom variation, and LOVED it. Next time, I'd cut the fontina cheese in half, and add even more mushrooms...

I ended up making the mushroom version last night too, and used 16 oz of just button (that's what I had) and local breakfast sausage (again, what I had) and parmesan instead of fontina. It was PERFECT and I will definitely make this AGAIN.

Quote Originally Posted by margeslp View Post
    My neighbor needs gluten free foods and this looks outstanding. Am trying it with ham so it is a main course for her and husband and just had to add Fontina because it is so buttery.

Will be looking for similar gluten-free recipes to take over. I keep thinking that if I were gluten-free I would find so many recipes to enjoy with potatoes, rice and corn. (I don't care about desserts so it easier for me to say that)

Out of oven: looks so creamy! Will save some for me
    Had some for dinner. Verrrrrrry creamy.
    My daughter is gluten free too and I accidentally bought a box of arborio rice at the store. I might have to try this, it looks like it's gotten great reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by carmor View Post
    My daughter is gluten free too and I accidentally bought a box of arborio rice at the store. I might have to try this, it looks like it's gotten great reviews.
    I was amazed at how easy this was and so creamy.
    I just got the list of food categories for State fair and see a gluten free dish is one of them. I want to see if this recipe keeps its texture if sitting in fridge overnight and reheated. Nothing worse than gummy.

I was amazed at how easy this was and so creamy.
    I just got the list of food categories for State fair and see a gluten free dish is one of them. I want to see if this recipe keeps its texture if sitting in fridge overnight and reheated. Nothing worse than gummy.
    I've already copied the recipe and have it on my list to make this weekend.

Lucikly, for an 8 year old my daughter is a very adventurous eater, which has made the transition to gluten free much, much easier.

I've already copied the recipe and have it on my list to make this weekend.

Lucikly, for an 8 year old my daughter is a very adventurous eater, which has made the transition to gluten free much, much easier.
    That's great that she is adventurous. She is also at an age of brilliance and (sounds like) involvement with family. Have you engaged her in a treasure hunt for recipes she would enjoy and would like to help prepare? I raised sons and got them in the kitchen, involving scouts and social studies class at school to make it relavent. IMHO, there are a world of delicious gluten-free dishes.

If my kids were small (oldest just turned 40) I would use this digital age to let them create albums. Youngest is a mechanical engineer and became interested in cooking about 10 yrs. ago. There is a link called Cooking for Engineers where they photograph EVERY step in a recipe. If I still was a den mother we would be doing that now!!!

That's great that she is adventurous. She is also at an age of brilliance and (sounds like) involvement with family. Have you engaged her in a treasure hunt for recipes she would enjoy and would like to help prepare? I raised sons and got them in the kitchen, involving scouts and social studies class at school to make it relavent. IMHO, there are a world of delicious gluten-free dishes.

If my kids were small (oldest just turned 40) I would use this digital age to let them create albums. Youngest is a mechanical engineer and became interested in cooking about 10 yrs. ago. There is a link called Cooking for Engineers where they photograph EVERY step in a recipe. If I still was a den mother we would be doing that now!!!
    We haven't really done any looking for recipes to try, she mostly tells me what she misses and we try to find a recipe to tweak to make it gluten free (she's been gluten free less than a year so we are still adjusting). Last week we made gluten free pop tarts

She does like to help in the kitchen and is very proud of the fact that she can make pancakes all by herself (of course, they are from a mix, but she still has to measure the liquids and crack the eggs).

I've always enjoyed cooking so making home cooked meals every night is no problem, and we are saving a lot of money not eating out!

We haven't really done any looking for recipes to try, she mostly tells me what she misses and we try to find a recipe to tweak to make it gluten free (she's been gluten free less than a year so we are still adjusting). Last week we made gluten free pop tarts

She does like to help in the kitchen and is very proud of the fact that she can make pancakes all by herself (of course, they are from a mix, but she still has to measure the liquids and crack the eggs).

I've always enjoyed cooking so making home cooked meals every night is no problem, and we are saving a lot of money not eating out!
    I think we are all ahead, as your kiddo. This recipe is a winner.

I know good Risotto is hard to make according to Chef Ramsey!

I made this again last night and made the shrimp version. I added in some mushrooms and it was so delicious! Its a big recipe for two, so we will be having it again for dinner on Sunday. So glad to find a recipe that is delicious and has many variations.
    Kevlar - you omitted the basil, right? And put in the shrimp uncooked? Thanks

Yes, that is what I did. You will enjoy it so much!

Just thought I would chime in and say that I agree, a total winner here.

I made this tonight, the basic recipe sans basil with some salmon as the main dish. I loved it! Turned out better than the salmon actually, which I managed to overcook.

I'm contemplating making this again this weekend as part of a Mother's Day dinner for my Mom, with some grilled halibut or steak and a green salad. Ice cream cake for dessert.

Thank you for posting this!
    Blogging it! A healthy serving of books, a dash of food, a splash of knitting, all topped off with the occasional trip. Serving recipe reviews on Mondays, book reviews on Thursdays.

Scifi with a Dash of Paprika

Yes, that is what I did. You will enjoy it so much!
    LOVED the shrimp version - so delicious. We used part-skim mozz and it was definitely rich enough.

This has become my go-to recipe for risotto and from response has met a lot of our needs. I would love to fuss and spend hours like none of my friends, but I simple recipe that yields similar results is a winner. Has anyone comments on how this holds up for a day reheating? I am putting this in my State Fair file. Also want to know about giving it to others for a delcious, moist reheat

This has become my go-to recipe for risotto and from response has met a lot of our needs. I would love to fuss and spend hours like none of my friends, but I simple recipe that yields similar results is a winner. Has anyone comments on how this holds up for a day reheating? I am putting this in my State Fair file. Also want to know about giving it to others for a delcious, moist reheat
    I made it and it was so easy! It made a TON! I did reheat it and it held up nice for the family but I'm not sure I would reheat it for company.

bump!

I made the base version this evening, using chopped prosciutto ends for the bacon (had to add a little olive oil as well). Loved how quick this was to put together.

Next time I'll use a little more liquid - after 20 minutes my rice had absorbed all the liquid and needed some additional stock to loosen it up, but aside from that it's a keeper!

Michelle