Community Message Boards

Thread: Cooking with Coffee

Cooking with Coffee

A few months ago, I started saving leftover coffee in a glass jar and refrigerating. Some mornings DH does not have time to make coffee before heading to work, so I just heat up the leftover. This morning (after the 2 cups of new coffee) I didn't want to add another jar of leftovers in the fridge, so I looked for something to do with it. I checked out the drink/cold binder and found some using coffee. I found this recipe. I used our coffee instead of the instant. Simple, easy and no blender to wash.

Greek Iced Coffee

Place 2 tsp instant coffee, 1 to 2 tsp sugar (used homemade vanilla sugar) 2 ice cubes and 1/4 cup cold water (omit if using brewed)in a jar with a tight fitting lid; shake vigorously for 30 seconds, or until frothy. Stir in 1/3 cup chilled milk. Makes 3/4 cup.

I added about 1 TB dark chocolate cocoa (mmmmm), and filled the jar with milk ( 1%)

Bonus: Antioxidants, a little boost of calcium and protein.

Source: Eating Well mag. June, 2004

So, do you all have any good recipes or ideas you use for coffee? Would love to hear from you.

PS I guess I should mention the size jar I used Don't remember how many ounces it held, but it is the big glass jar with the green lid that Maxwell House came in.

Good idea! I usually pour and put all my additives into 2 cups of coffee, but rarely drink the second one at breakfast! I put the cup into the fridge, and either heat it (in the winter) or pour it over ice (in the summer). I'm not fanatical about my coffee, and I love it flavored -- gotta taste like melted coffee ice cream for me! I never thought to make anything else with it, though!

Thanks, Cookieee!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Quote Originally Posted by LakeMartinGal View Post
    Good idea! I usually pour and put all my additives into 2 cups of coffee, but rarely drink the second one at breakfast! I put the cup into the fridge, and either heat it (in the winter) or pour it over ice (in the summer). I'm not fanatical about my coffee, and I love it flavored -- gotta taste like melted coffee ice cream for me! I never thought to make anything else with it, though!

Thanks, Cookieee!
    Your welcome Kay
    I am sitting here now looking at the liquor in the pantry wondering what I could put in the leftover Greek Iced Coffee for a before dinner drink

Mmmmmm, found it. Amaretto Gooooooood
    Last edited by cookieee; 03-26-2012 at 04:27 PM.

I couldn't decide which thread to post this on, this one or It's Slowcooker Time. Going to post on both

Roast Beef with Coffee By: karela

"Don't pass this up because it sounds strange. It is wonderful! Serve with mashed potatoes. This can also be made with a sirloin tip roast or a rump roast."Cook Time:3 Hrs Ready In:3 Hrs 20 Min

4 to 6 servings
    4 pounds chuck roast
    5 cloves garlic, minced
    1 1/2 cups prepared strong coffee
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    1/2 cup water

1.Preheat slow cooker to low setting OR preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2.Using a sharp knife, make 5 or 6 deep slits around the top and side of the roast. Push the whole cloves of garlic down into the slits. Place the meat in a slow cooker OR a 10x15 inch roasting pan and pour the coffee over the meat.
    3.Cook in slow cooker on low setting for 6 to 8 hours OR bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 2 to 3 hours.
    4.When roast is done, remove from slow cooker OR oven, and pour the drippings into a small saucepan over medium low heat. In a separate small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water. Mix well and add slowly to the drippings, stirring constantly. Simmer until thickened.

Source: Allrecipes.com 01/26/02

* Exported from MasterCook *

Coffee Cake ~ (Not Coffeecake)

2 cups flour
    2 cups white sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup butter
    3 tablespoons instant coffee
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    2 teaspoons vanilla

1. Grease and flour two round baking pans.
    2. Add instant coffee to boiling water. Set aside.
    3. Whisk the sugar, flour and salt.
    4. Mix the buttermilk, eggs, baking soda, and vanilla.
    5. Combine wet and dry ingredients, pour into pans.
    6. Bake 350 degrees, 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick tests clean. Cool completely before frosting.

Coffee Frosting ~

3/4 cup butter
    1 pound powdered sugar
    1-2 tablespoons instant coffee
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2-4 tablespoons cream, as needed

Blend the frosting ingredients until smooth then frost the cake. Chill 1 hour before serving.
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

Hi ADM, that sounds good. Thanks

I saw an 'idea' on Pinterest a while back - pour left over coffee into ice cube trays, freeze and use for ice coffee later on. Only problem is, I couldn't ever find a good ice coffee recipe to go off of. I guess just blend and add some creamer/milk?

Quote Originally Posted by Shugness View Post
    I saw an 'idea' on Pinterest a while back - pour left over coffee into ice cube trays, freeze and use for ice coffee later on. Only problem is, I couldn't ever find a good ice coffee recipe to go off of. I guess just blend and add some creamer/milk?
    What about the recipe I started this thread with?

I found something similar with chocolate. I hope I didn't throw our ice cube trays away.
    Last edited by cookieee; 03-27-2012 at 03:29 PM. Reason: my spelling, again lol

This is a super good chile

All Day Pork Loin Chili
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Party Line Boys
    Serving Size: 16

Ingredients:

8 tablespoons vegetable oil
    3 lbs. boneless pork loin, cut into 2-inch cubes
    Kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1 Spanish onion, cut into 1-inch dice
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1-inch dice
    3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
    2 tablespoons light brown sugar
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    2 tablespoons ground cumin
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
    3 (15-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
    1/2 cup honey
    1/2 cup prepared black coffee
    1/2 cup bourbon
    2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained
    2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
    1 cup sour cream, for serving
    1 small can sliced or chopped jalapenos, for serving
    2 cups shredded cheddar, for serving

Directions:

Pour 4 tablespoons of the oil into a large, heavy bottomed stockpot and place over high heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Season the pork with a dash of salt and pepper and brown it in batches, 3 to 5 minutes per batch. Set aside the browned pork.

Pour the remaining oil into the pot and add the onion, garlic, bell pepper and jalapenos. Season the veggies with the brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, salt, pepper and cilantro. Sweat the vegetable mixture over medium heat for 10 minutes, until the onion is soft. Add the pork back to the pot along with the tomatoes, honey, coffee, bourbon. Add the beans, stir well, bring up to a simmer and then lower the heat to the lowest setting.

Let simmer 2 to 3 hours, until the pork is juicy and buttery soft. Serve directly from the stovetop with side bowls of sour cream, sliced jalapenos, and shredded cheddar

Chocolate Whiskey Bundt Cake
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Gourmet
    Serving Size: 12

Ingredients:

1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch-process) plus 3 tablespoons for dusting pan
    1 1/2 cups brewed coffee
    1/2 cup American whiskey
    2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
    2 cups sugar
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 large eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    Special equipment: a 10-inch bundt pan (3 1/4 inches deep, 3-qt capacity)
    Accompaniment: lightly sweetened whipped cream
    Garnish: confectioners sugar for dusting

Directions:

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 325°F. Butter bundt pan well, then dust with 3 tablespoons cocoa powder, knocking out excess.
    Heat coffee, whiskey, butter, and remaining cup cocoa powder in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, whisking, until butter is melted. Remove from heat, then add sugar and whisk until dissolved, about 1 minute. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and cool 5 minutes.
    While chocolate mixture cools, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Whisk together eggs and vanilla in a small bowl, then whisk into cooled chocolate mixture until combined well. Add flour mixture and whisk until just combined (batter will be thin and bubbly). Pour batter into bundt pan and bake until a wooden pick or skewer inserted in center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes.
    Cool cake completely in pan on a rack, about 2 hours. Loosen cake from pan using tip of a dinner knife, then invert rack over pan and turn cake out onto rack.

Notes:

Cooks' note:
    This cake improves in flavor if made at least 1 day ahead and kept, in a cake keeper or wrapped well in plastic wrap, at cool room temperature. It can be made up to 5 days ahead and chilled. Bring to room temperature before serving.

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    What about the recipe I started this thread with?

I found something similar with chocolate. I hope I didn't through our ice cube trays away.

Yeah - that's what I was trying to say but didn't say, that your recipe would be just adding cream/milk to what I already have.

Quote Originally Posted by amarante View Post
    This is a super good chile

All Day Pork Loin Chili

Recipe By: Party Line Boys
    Serving Size: 16
    Oh this sounds soooooo good. It has so many things in it that DH really likes. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by amarante View Post
    Chocolate Whiskey Bundt Cake

Recipe By: Gourmet
    Serving Size: 12
    I knew there were a lot of good uses for leftover coffee. And this sounds like one of them. Thank you Amarante

Oh this sounds soooooo good. It has so many things in it that DH really likes. Thanks for sharing.
    This is really the best chile recipe I've tried and of course if freezes wonderfully even in individual portions.

The cut of meat used is pretty lean and when I cut it up I remove any pockets of fat that remain. Costco generally has large pork sirloin roasts at a good price.

And needless to say 8 tablespoons of fat to saute is absolutely ridiculous and unnecessary.

I use left over coffee in chili, stew, tamali pie, some kinds of bean soup, some types of chocolate cake, and in or on icecream. I'm still working on a coffee smoothie but haven't been able to get it to work without more sugar than I care to add. Ditto for a coffee cheesecake.
    Anne

my favorite method for making iced coffee came from the ny times:
    1/3 cup ground coffee mixed into 1.5 cup water and you let it sit for 8-12 hours (i leave it covered on the countertop). then i filter it with a paper coffee filter and store in the refrigerator.
    - Josie

Stanard recipe for iced coffee in bars (and Betty Crocker):

Double strength coffee fixed the way you like it, chilled and served over ice. If you want some booze in it, sweeten a little less than usual, add the booze just before serving.

Like the OP, I've added leftover coffee to smoothies (milk + ice + coffee + sweetener) in the blender, or to the packaged Weight Watchers smoothies (chocolate flavor). I have a to-die-for chocolate dessert recipe that calls for expresso powder, but don't think that would apply here.

QUOTE=BarbaraL;1651366]Like the OP, I've added leftover coffee to smoothies (milk + ice + coffee + sweetener) in the blender, or to the packaged Weight Watchers smoothies (chocolate flavor). I have a to-die-for chocolate dessert recipe that calls for expresso powder, but don't think that would apply here.[/QUOTE]

I say go for it. Have you known of any of us here to turn down chocolate? If you will, I will
    Last edited by cookieee; 03-27-2012 at 03:33 PM.

Well, its quite a while past my nap time and I am still going strong. There is a lot to be said for iced coffee in the middle of the day.

I'm a coffee drink snob but I love this coffee recipe, it's the closest thing I've found to store bought. I keep frozen coffee in one ice cube tray at all times just so I can make this when I'm in the mood.

Frozen Mochaccino (Eating Well)

2 servings, about 1 1/3 cups each

Active Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 4 hours 10 minutes (including 4 hours freezing time)

1 cup double-strength brewed coffee or espresso (see Tip)
    1 cup low-fat milk
    2 tablespoons unsweetened natural cocoa powder (not Dutch-process), plus more for sprinkling
    2-3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
    1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1-2 ice cubes, if needed

PREPARATION

Freeze coffee in an ice cube tray until firm, at least 4 hours or overnight.

Combine the frozen coffee cubes, milk, cocoa, maple syrup to taste and vanilla in a blender. Pulse until smooth, adding plain ice cubes if you want it thicker or a little water if you want it thinner. Divide between 2 glasses, dust with a little cocoa powder, if desired, and serve immediately.
    Cookie baker and cake decorator

I also make this dry rub for steaks. It's from a Bon Appetit recipe for hamburgers or something.

Coffee rub:
    1 tablespoon freshly ground coffee
    2 teaspoons (packed) golden brown sugar
    2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
    Cookie baker and cake decorator

Don't forget Red Eye Gravy. A great way to use up some leftover coffee.

QUOTE=BarbaraL;1651366]Like the OP, I've added leftover coffee to smoothies (milk + ice + coffee + sweetener) in the blender, or to the packaged Weight Watchers smoothies (chocolate flavor). I have a to-die-for chocolate dessert recipe that calls for expresso powder, but don't think that would apply here.
    I say go for it. Have you known of any of us here to turn down chocolate? If you will, I will [/QUOTE]

Don't know how to convert the instant expresso powder to leftover (liquid) coffee, but here goes:

Frozen Mocha Truffle Loaf

1 12-oz package semi-sweet chocolate pieces
    1/2 cup margarine or butter (1 stick)
    4 large egg yolks
    3/4 cup milk
    1 tablespoon instant expresso-coffee powder
    3 tablespoons coffee-flavor liqueuer
    1 1/2 cups heavy or whipping cream
    Unsweetened cocoa

Day ahead or up to a week ahead:
    In heavy 1-quart saucepan over low heat, heat chocolate & margarine until melted and smooth, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
    In 3-quart saucepan, with wire whisk, beat egg yolks with milk. Cook over low heat, strring, until mixture thickens and coats a spoon well, about 8 minutes (mixture should be 170 to 175 degrees F but do not boil or it will curdle). Stir in chocolate, expresso, and liqueur. Cover chocolate custard with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.

Meanwhile, line 9 by 5 inch loaf pan with foil.
    When custard is cool, whip cream. Fold 1/3 whipped cream into custard to lighten it. Fold remaining cream into custard until blended. Pour mixture into loaf pan. Cover; freeze overnight or until firm.

Invert truffle loaf onto chilled platter; carefully peel off foil. Sprinkle with cocoa. Serve sliced with fruit sauce.

Strawberry Sauce: 1 pint strawberries & 2 tablespoons sugar.
    Hull strawberries. In pie plate, with potato masher or fork, crush strawberries with sugar. Serve with truffle loaf.

Raspberry Sauce: In blender, puree 1 package (10 oz) frozen raspberries, thawed; strain. Stir in 1/3 cup Karo corn syrup.
    Last edited by BarbaraL; 03-27-2012 at 09:12 PM. Reason: typo

That looks really good Barbara - I'm guessing that adding some powdered milk to 3/4 cup coffee would work - might need to decrease the volume of the coffee a bit. I'm going to experment next weekend.
    Anne

This is my standard Christmas dessert; DD is not a fan of pie! I usually make the raspberry sauce, which actually came from a different recipe for a similar dessert. The other recipe is a little easier, but (IMHO) doesn't have the richness of flavor of this one. Maybe because it doesn't call for the Kahlua . . .
    Last edited by BarbaraL; 03-28-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Good time to bump up this thread

National Coffee Week - September 24 - September 29