Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's for Easter dinner?

What's for Easter dinner?

So far I have the protein down-ham, lamb, and fresh Polish sausage. I saw a recipe for a fresh asparagus tart, so maybe that, too. My eyes and stomach are always bigger than time allows.

Quote Originally Posted by vbak View Post
    So far I have the protein down-ham, lamb, and fresh Polish sausage. I saw a recipe for a fresh asparagus tart, so maybe that, too. My eyes and stomach are always bigger than time allows.
    Zoey (my Bassettdor) and I will be traveling to CT for Easter. She'll go anywhere as long as she doesn't have to wear a costume.

I am doing lots of side dishes.
    Bloody Mary Shrimpwreck
    Deviled egg chickies (HUGE hit last year)
    Mini muffin basket
    Fresh purple asparagus from neighboring farm - OUTSTANDING
    Scalloped potatoes (white and sweet)

Easter dinner is going to be pretty simple - ham, scalloped potatoes, roasted asparagus, and lemon meringue pie. we'll have quiche lorraine and fruit salad for breakfast. exact recipes are TBD but I feel better with a plan

good friday I'm planning to make orzo salad with roasted vegetables (Barefoot Contessa) and the roasted shrimp part of another recipe she has.
    Once, during prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water. W. C. Fields

Everyone's menus sound great! We are having baked ham and grilled lamb, asparagus, salad, and tbd dessert. We are simple as well.

Thinking about scalloped potatoes but may go with rolls for the starch. Still have time yet!! (Love to see what others are making. Would like to try collard greens for the family but don't think the "**Northerners" would think that it is an "Easter side" )
    **we are transplants
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

it's interesting how everyone is having aspar in some form.
    I am interested in the tart - something different and the eggs sounded interesting too

Yum! Everything sounds delicious. I'll be going to my sister's -- she hasn't quite figured out what to serve. I'll be bringing sides when she decides.

I'm curious, margeslp --- what are deviled egg chickies?

As we've done nearly every year for about the past 17 years, we will have pizza. It started with my brother and myself and has continued with me and my husband. It's always just us, so we like the pizza tradition.

Our easter menu is a repeat of our thanksgiving menu which is a repeat of our christmas menu. Give or take a couple of sides or different desserts. This menu is never, ever, ever, allowed to be changed. I always say that I am going to try and have a mini meal on a different day with all the new things that I want to try, but by the time I've prepared for the holdiday and delt with the leftovers, I don't feel like doing another version of the holdiay meal.

For mains were are having turkey with herb gravy, dressing, ham (glaze to be determined yet), mashed potatoes, scalloped potatoes, bread/rolls (tbd which kind), 2 salads, corn, green beans, asparagus, veggie tray with dip, cheese plate. Desserts has yet to be decided upon, but am leaning towards and angel food cake with lemon curd filling or something like that - saw it on the cover of the Canadian Living Magazine - will need to get the recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by ctr264 View Post
    For mains were are having turkey with herb gravy, dressing, ham (glaze to be determined yet), mashed potatoes, scalloped potatoes, bread/rolls (tbd which kind), 2 salads, corn, green beans, asparagus, veggie tray with dip, cheese plate. Desserts has yet to be decided upon, but am leaning towards and angel food cake with lemon curd filling or something like that - saw it on the cover of the Canadian Living Magazine - will need to get the recipe.
    Wow - that's a lot of food. How many are you serving?
    It's just DH and me so I haven't given it much thought. I've always wanted to try a ham but DH isn't much of a fan - but I may try it this year anyway.

Who has a good glaze? anyone?

I didn't like the one i used last years nor the Penzey's....

Quote Originally Posted by luv2cook View Post
    I was just looking for recipes myself and found this one that sounds incredible: Cola-Baked Ham with Cherry-Orange Glaze by Emeril. But yikes - it calls for a 12 - 15 lb ham. That would likely last us a year. I'm going to look for a smaller ham (if there is such a thing) cut the recipe in half.

that does look good- however, the basting thing, not so much. every 15 min....really?

that does look good- however, the basting thing, not so much. every 15 min....really?
    I didn't see that. Guess I'll keep looking or make something completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgee View Post
    Wow - that's a lot of food. How many are you serving?
    11-12 people, 4 of whom will go back for seconds

I usually buy a 2 hams (1/2 ham each) and make both of these glazes.

Fire and Spice Ham (Cooking Light Recipe)
    Sweet-hot pepper jelly and tangy pineapple preserves create an easy glaze for the ham.

1 (5 1/2- to 6-pound) 33%-less-sodium smoked, fully cooked ham half
    Cooking spray
    1/2 cup red pepper jelly
    1/2 cup pineapple preserves (I use crushed pineapple)
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

Preparation
    Preheat oven to 425°.

Trim fat and rind from ham half. Score outside of ham in a diamond pattern. Place ham on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Combine jelly and remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Brush about one-third of jelly mixture over ham.

Bake at 425° for 5 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325° (do not remove ham from oven); bake an additional 45 minutes, basting ham with jelly mixture every 15 minutes. Transfer ham to a serving platter; let stand 15 minutes before slicing.

Overnight Baked Ham with Riesling Mustard Glaze

Courtesy of : Anna Olson - Food Network Canada

•1 cup Dry Riesling wine
    •1 shallot, minced
    •1/2 cup honey
    •3/4 cup coarse grainy mustard
    •1 large bone-in smoked ham, about 10 lbs

Directions
    1.For glaze, bring wine and shallots to a simmer in a small saucepot and reduce to ¼ cup. Remove pot from heat and stir in honey and mustard.
    2.Preheat oven to 275°F. Place ham in a roasting pan and score the skin on top. Place in oven and bake, uncovered, for 7 hours. Spoon half of glaze over ham and baste, cooking for 1 ½ hours more.
    3.Carve ham and serve with remaining glaze.

Note: I have never cooked the ham all night long, I just put the glaze on once, put it in the oven with the other ham, and then about an hour before its done, put the rest of the glaze on it. This one is excellent. If I make too much glaze, I just reduce it down abit and use it as a sauce for either over chicken or more ham.

We're celebrating Easter tomorrow. Have a small boneless applewood-smoked ham from Whole Foods. Picked up fresh asparagus at the farmers' market this morning. Will steam that and make chipotle sweet potato gratin along with pineapple cheese casserole made with fresh pineapple. Baking pumpernickel bread tomorrow for ham sandwiches the rest of the week.

I have 2 other glazes in my to try pile. The first one needs to be based every 20-30 minutes, the second is probably about the same if you do it in the oven (this recipe is actually for the grill, but I would do it in the oven myself)

Blackberry Mustard Glazed Ham

1 (5-pound) 33%-less-sodium smoked, fully-cooked, bone-in ham half
    1/2 cup apple juice
    1 (13-ounce) jar blackberry preserves
    1 (7.3-ounce) jar whole-grain Dijon mustard $

Preparation
    Preheat oven to 350°.

Trim fat and rind from ham. Score outside of ham in a diamond pattern. Place ham on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray.
    Combine juice, preserves, and mustard in a medium bowl, stirring until well combined. Set aside half of preserves mixture.

Bake ham at 350° for 1 1/2 hours or until a thermometer
    registers 140°, basting with half of preserves mixture every 20 minutes. Remove ham from oven. Place ham on a platter; cover and let stand 15 minutes before slicing.

Place reserved preserves mixture in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Cook until reduced to 1 cup (about 15 minutes). Serve sauce with ham.

Jackie Mills, Cooking Light
    NOVEMBER 2005

Smoked Ham with Maple Mustard Glaze (Food Network Canada)

1 5-6 lb bone-in ham leg, cured
    1/2 cup maple syrup
    1/2 cup grainy mustard
    Juice of 1 orange
    2 teaspoons chilli flakes
    Baguette or bread of choice
    Slices of brie or Gouda cheese
    2 cups dry apple wood chips
    4 cups apple wood chips soaked in cool water for 1 hour and drained

Directions
    Smoked Ham with Maple Mustard Glaze
    1.Prepare the glaze by mixing syrup, mustard, orange juice and chilli flakes in a bowl.
    2.Set aside ½ cup of this mixture to use as a basting sauce.
    3.Place the ham on a clean baking tray and coat it completely with the remaining sauce.
    4.Prepare smoke pouches by combining 2 cups wet wood chips with 1 cup of dry. Place chips on a large sheet of aluminum foil and fold to create a pouch that is slightly smaller than the size of your barbeque burner. Pierce smoke pouch with a fork many times to allow air flow. Repeat for second pouch.
    5.Prepare barbeque for indirect cooking and smoking by removing the grate from over top of the far burner and turning it on high heat. Leave the other burners off with a drip pan under the barbeque grates.
    6.Place the smoke pouch directly on the barbeque burner. Close the lid and wait for smoke.
    7.Place the ham over the drip pan on the side of the grill with no heat.
    8.Close the lid of the barbeque and adjust heat to 220°F/105°C.
    9.Slow smoke ham for 4 hours, changing the smoke pouch halfway through.
    10.Baste regularly during the last 2 hours with the reserved sauce.
    11.Remove ham from barbeque and cover with foil. Allow the meat to rest for 30 minutes.
    12.Slice and serve on a baguette/bun with cheese, apricot chutney or mustard and summer greens if desired.

It's just two of us, but I still like to do a nice dinner that's a bit special. It's usually lamb, and this year I have a new roasted recipe (with lemon, garlic, rosemary and yukon gold potatoes) to try. We'll have asparagues, likely steamed, and maybe green beans. Maybe rolls (although we're trying to watch our starches, and with potatoes already on the menu...) and dessert, if any, will be coconut cupcakes.

vbak, is the aspargus tart from...I think it was cooking.com? I saw one in one of the emails I get.
    "Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
    Use an egg carton like everyone else and stop being such a poser." - The Little Book of Wrong Shui

Margeslp, you have me intrigued. What is Bloody Mary Shipwreck?

Our family tradition is Cioppino. My mom's specialty that I look forward to all year.
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland

Does anyone have a recipe for rabbit?

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbeaux View Post
    First it was Rudolph, now it is Peter. Is nothing sacred?
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbeaux View Post
    Yes, 26 of them if you are serious. Fixed how?

I also have a cookbook called "50 Ways to Enjoy Bugs Bunny"

Quote Originally Posted by ADM View Post
    First it was Rudolph, now it is Peter. Is nothing sacred?
    reminds me of this book
    why we love dogs, eat pigs and wear cows
    by melanie joy
    Cheryl

reading thru looking for inspiration

dh and i decided on a spring vegetable risotto prosecco to start
    and still thinking about an appy and dessert
    Cheryl

After rereading the asparagus tart recipe, I'm going to scratch that. So, it will be ham, lamb, fresh Polish, saurkraut, roasted beets with goat cheese[?], roasted asparagus, creamy, cheesy, gratin potatoes, fresh strawberry pie, banana cream pie. I'll ask the kids what they would like to contribute.

I think I'll try that blackberry mustard glaze for the ham. Thanks for posting CTR.

The asparagus tart is from Epicurious. I'll check out the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    I also have a cookbook called "50 Ways to Enjoy Bugs Bunny"
    Not really, APRIL FOOLS

I haven' t been able to post picture of the deviled egg chicks on this site. Will try once more. http://www.dealsanddishes.com/2011/0...gg-chicks.html

Blood Mary Shrimp wrecks:
    The Spicey Bloody 'Shrimpwreck' Cocktail

Ah...The Bloody Mary. It has been my experience that people either like them, or don't. For those who do, I've taken the traditional Bloody Mary, and completely 'blown it out of the water', well, so to speak. And just how do you bow the Bloody Mary out of the water? Add a skewer of shrimps, use Picante Clamato Tomato Cocktail as the mixer, a very healty squeeze of the juice of 1/2 of a lime, finely crushed dried red chile pepper, and don't forget the Worcestershire sauce, that's how!

To a tall and large 'tumbler' glass add two (rinsed) long sinewy leafy stalks of celery. Squeeze in the juice of 1/2 of a large lime. Place about 9 (or so) medium (tails-off, peeled, deveined, cooked) shrimps on a skewer and place in glass along side the celery. Add ice. Add two healthy jiggers (a splash over 3 ozs.) of vodka. Fill remainder of glass with Picante Clamato Tomato Cocktail juice, leaving enough room to 'garnish' with two wedeges of a lime, and 2, 3, or 4 dashes of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce. Now shake onsome dried finely crushed red chile pepper and some fresh milled black pepper. Stir, add straw, sip, munch celery and shrimp...And enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh37 View Post
    It's just two of us, but I still like to do a nice dinner that's a bit special. It's usually lamb, and this year I have a new roasted recipe (with lemon, garlic, rosemary and yukon gold potatoes) to try. We'll have asparagues, likely steamed, and maybe green beans. Maybe rolls (although we're trying to watch our starches, and with potatoes already on the menu...) and dessert, if any, will be coconut cupcakes.

vbak, is the aspargus tart from...I think it was cooking.com? I saw one in one of the emails I get.
    Gilgamesh37 - could you please post your new recipe for the roast lamb? I'm looking for one to try this year, and this hits everything I was looking for (garlic, rosemary, lemon).

Well that was almost embarassing. I printed it and then deleted the email it came in--and couldn't remember exactly where it was from. Not sure how I lived before Google. turns out it was a Martha Stewart recipe, which can be found

here
    "Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
    Use an egg carton like everyone else and stop being such a poser." - The Little Book of Wrong Shui