Community Message Boards

Thread: What's for Easter dinner?

Hybrid View

What's for Easter dinner?

So far I have the protein down-ham, lamb, and fresh Polish sausage. I saw a recipe for a fresh asparagus tart, so maybe that, too. My eyes and stomach are always bigger than time allows.

Quote Originally Posted by vbak View Post
    So far I have the protein down-ham, lamb, and fresh Polish sausage. I saw a recipe for a fresh asparagus tart, so maybe that, too. My eyes and stomach are always bigger than time allows.
    Zoey (my Bassettdor) and I will be traveling to CT for Easter. She'll go anywhere as long as she doesn't have to wear a costume.

I am doing lots of side dishes.
    Bloody Mary Shrimpwreck
    Deviled egg chickies (HUGE hit last year)
    Mini muffin basket
    Fresh purple asparagus from neighboring farm - OUTSTANDING
    Scalloped potatoes (white and sweet)

Easter dinner is going to be pretty simple - ham, scalloped potatoes, roasted asparagus, and lemon meringue pie. we'll have quiche lorraine and fruit salad for breakfast. exact recipes are TBD but I feel better with a plan

good friday I'm planning to make orzo salad with roasted vegetables (Barefoot Contessa) and the roasted shrimp part of another recipe she has.
    Once, during prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water. W. C. Fields

Everyone's menus sound great! We are having baked ham and grilled lamb, asparagus, salad, and tbd dessert. We are simple as well.

Thinking about scalloped potatoes but may go with rolls for the starch. Still have time yet!! (Love to see what others are making. Would like to try collard greens for the family but don't think the "**Northerners" would think that it is an "Easter side" )
    **we are transplants
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

it's interesting how everyone is having aspar in some form.
    I am interested in the tart - something different and the eggs sounded interesting too

Yum! Everything sounds delicious. I'll be going to my sister's -- she hasn't quite figured out what to serve. I'll be bringing sides when she decides.

I'm curious, margeslp --- what are deviled egg chickies?

We're having our usual: ham, kielbasa, horseradish beets, hot potato, candied sweet potatoes, asparagus, hard-boiled eggs, Easter bread. For dessert, chocolate, sugar cookies, and cupcakes!

I think my contribution will be this leek gratin from Everyday Food. My Dad just harvested the last of the leeks and this would be an interesting way to serve them. Simple and different. Plus, it'll make him happy!

Leek Gratin

It's just the two of us for Easter so we're going with grilled salmon, a CL August 2010 recipe for grilled asparagus with caper vinaigrette we just love and a CL recipe (date unknown) from my got-to-try folder for Sweet Onion Casserole. We'll pick up dessert at Whole Foods which for me will probably be a Mo's chocolate bar, maybe the one with bacon or the one with chiles or the one with cardamom or.... Darn those Mo's people-do you know they make a pancake mix with dark chocolate/bacon chips in the batter?

Post Pat's ?

I've got 21 people coming for brunch. My vegetarian entree is the mac 'n cheese from CL's Sept 2011 magazine. Could someone tell me if I can cook up the sauce a day ahead and then mix it with the cooked pasta on Sunday? It has gruyere, romano and parmesan cheese with milk and butternut squash. I'm trying to get as many things pre-prepped as possible

Quote Originally Posted by Javaandcookie View Post
    I've got 21 people coming for brunch. My vegetarian entree is the mac 'n cheese from CL's Sept 2011 magazine. Could someone tell me if I can cook up the sauce a day ahead and then mix it with the cooked pasta on Sunday? It has gruyere, romano and parmesan cheese with milk and butternut squash. I'm trying to get as many things pre-prepped as possible
    You can certainly do that.

Quote Originally Posted by vbak View Post

I love to enjoy Easter dinner with my family and friends. We do Easter Dinner with a ham and different things. Also I would like to make sweet potato casserole with marshmallows on top.

I completely missed Easter due to a migraine. I think dh bought a couple club sandwiches. We had a really fun Thursday-Saturday hiking and exploring with some friends who cook great food so skipping the Easter dinner was not a tragedy.
    Anne