Community Message Boards
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's for Easter dinner?

We are having a three-family potluck at my house with six kids age 2-4. I am a bit daunted, but it's on, so only thing to do now is plow through and cook as fast as I can. We are each bringing a couple dishes.

I may also try to make the original sticky bun recipe from the King Arthur baking book for Saturday.

Appetizer 1 - I'm probably doing edamame feta dip with veggies, someone else is in charge of appetizer 2
    Ham with raisin sauce
    Steamed asparagus
    Carrot Souffle (from CL)
    Garlic cheese grits
    A potato bean dish (guest is bringing)
    Fruit or a salad (guest is bringing)
    Bread or rolls (guest)
    Ginger Spice Cake (from April 2012 Bon Appetit)
    Lemon curd dessert (guest)
    Wine (all contributing a bottle or 2)

Wish us luck!

I made reservations! It's just the 4 of us, and I get tired of putting on the big (fill in the blank - brunch, lunch, dinner) only to have somebody say they don't like (fill in the blank - ham, fish, eggs, asparagus).

The menu looks delightful (despite the typos), and it's right down the street!
    Visit my website at www.simplydeliciouschef.com

My mother's hosting and we will be a small group. Neither my kids or my inlaws eat meat, so DH, my mother, and I will be treated either to roast lamb or venison tenderloin wrapped in bacon. Mom's also doing a simple red potato salad and a spinach pie called "pascualina" which is a traditional Argentine easter dish. Inlaws are doing salad.

I've offered to bring dessert - individual lemon desserts, and it's a toss up between:
    Meyer Lemon Budino or
    Meyer Lemon Custard Cakes.

Both seem simple to make and are individual servings. I could top with a berry (our local strawberry farm has had berries which they've grown under the hothouse cover already!)

Has anyone made either?

I also have to make lemon bars or brownies for a church reception to occur in between our two services.
    There cannot be a crisis today. My schedule is already full.
    -Henry Kissinger

Found out on Sunday I'm hosting Easter, and have no idea. DH and I don't like lamb, and are not huge ham fans. So, I might do a ham, or pork tenderloin. Emeril's garlic lemon asparagus. Roasted green beans. Scalloped potatoes. Green salad. For dessert, Cinderella cupcakes for DD's 6th birthday and fruit.

At least, I think this is my menu LOL

Anyone know of a good ham glaze for a diabetic? So many of them sound awesome with the apricot or blackberry preserves, but I'm worried they will be too high in sugar.

We are visiting friends out of town until we return late Saturday so any Easter menu for us is a scramble. I think we will end up with grilling some of the precious last salmon from the freezer and probably a deer tenderloin, some of the veges from the freezer dressed up a bit, and any stray greens I can find emerging from under the overwinter mulch and snow in the garden. Other items will include bread of some 'not yet decided' version, desert from something from the depths of the freezer, and if all goes smoothly, perhaps even an appetizer.
    Anne

Quote Originally Posted by Kingwell View Post

Ham with raisin sauce

Wish us luck!
    Ham with raisin sauce is of my favorites, however, I am the only one out of a group of 11-12 that likes it so I usually don't make it. Enjoy and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Alleycat View Post
    Anyone know of a good ham glaze for a diabetic? So many of them sound awesome with the apricot or blackberry preserves, but I'm worried they will be too high in sugar.
    Spiral-Sliced Ham with Pepper Jelly Glaze
    http://diabeticgourmet.com/recipes/html/972.shtml
    (This is like the fire and spice ham but it is only has the pepper jelly as the glaze not the fruit)

Glazed Ham with Dried Cherry Caramelized Onions
    http://www.diabeticgourmet.com/recipes/html/971.shtml

If you search for diabetic recipes for glazed ham, there are some that pop up that are "fruit preserved glazed or fruit juice glaze". You may be able to find something there as well.

Cooking Light also has one for Orange Baked Ham that my aunt (who was diabetic also used, but she used 1/4 cup of the orange juice and 2 tbsp brown sugar and more orange peel. (http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/oran...0000001922806/)

We're having our usual: ham, kielbasa, horseradish beets, hot potato, candied sweet potatoes, asparagus, hard-boiled eggs, Easter bread. For dessert, chocolate, sugar cookies, and cupcakes!

I think my contribution will be this leek gratin from Everyday Food. My Dad just harvested the last of the leeks and this would be an interesting way to serve them. Simple and different. Plus, it'll make him happy!

Leek Gratin

It's just the two of us for Easter so we're going with grilled salmon, a CL August 2010 recipe for grilled asparagus with caper vinaigrette we just love and a CL recipe (date unknown) from my got-to-try folder for Sweet Onion Casserole. We'll pick up dessert at Whole Foods which for me will probably be a Mo's chocolate bar, maybe the one with bacon or the one with chiles or the one with cardamom or.... Darn those Mo's people-do you know they make a pancake mix with dark chocolate/bacon chips in the batter?

Post Pat's ?

I've got 21 people coming for brunch. My vegetarian entree is the mac 'n cheese from CL's Sept 2011 magazine. Could someone tell me if I can cook up the sauce a day ahead and then mix it with the cooked pasta on Sunday? It has gruyere, romano and parmesan cheese with milk and butternut squash. I'm trying to get as many things pre-prepped as possible

Quote Originally Posted by Javaandcookie View Post
    I've got 21 people coming for brunch. My vegetarian entree is the mac 'n cheese from CL's Sept 2011 magazine. Could someone tell me if I can cook up the sauce a day ahead and then mix it with the cooked pasta on Sunday? It has gruyere, romano and parmesan cheese with milk and butternut squash. I'm trying to get as many things pre-prepped as possible
    You can certainly do that.

Quote Originally Posted by memartha View Post
    I made reservations! It's just the 4 of us, and I get tired of putting on the big (fill in the blank - brunch, lunch, dinner) only to have somebody say they don't like (fill in the blank - ham, fish, eggs, asparagus).

That sounds perfect. Think I'll do that next holiday...

Hey Martha - I'm also West of Boston. Curious where you are going? Usually we avoid eating out on holidays but sometimes it's just nice to let someone else do the cooking and the clean up!

Please share so I can try show DH the menu and try to tempt him to go out instead of having to cook!

Thanks,

Leslie
    Where am I going, and why am I in this hand basket?

I love the looks of this one for a casual breakfast:
    http://www.tuesdayrecipe.com/tuesday...s-goat-cheese/
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Our Easter isn't until the 15th, but we'll have Tsoureki and hardboiled eggs for breakfast and then we are going to SILs for dinner. Lamb, tiropita, salad, and whatever wonderful side dishes she tries this year.
    ______

Elizabeth

Walking Towards Wellness, my personal challenge to walk 10,000 steps per day in 2014 while living with and managing a chronic illness. Walk with me.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverFarm View Post
    I can really relate to the fatigue that sets in when faced with picky eaters. My DGD has dinner here a lot because her dad often works late, although sometimes DS and toddler DGD are here as well. Especially teenager DGD has many many food preferences, and I have a really hard time coming up with meals that she'll enjoy. DH says she can always get herself a PB&J if she doesn't like what's on the menu, but it's very dispiriting for someone like me who loves to cook and loves to eat a variety of things to be stuck with everlasting meatloaf, pasta, and chicken, or else to have her eat almost nothing of what's on offer. Tonight DH and I had duck confit with Pommes Sarladaises and salad; I could never have served that to DGD. And she doesn't like lamb, either, which is a favorite of ours. At least she'll eat pork and deer and beef.
    It is very dispiriting. I still remember when I was first married making a marvelous paella for all the inlaws and my sister-in-law's kids wouldn't eat it. It took a roommate in grad school to teach me manners at her parents home as I passed a vegetable without taking any. She held the dish firmly and NICELY said "No thank you portion for your hostess." I have taught that to my kids as the 3 bite rule and it has stuck.
    Then there was the story of my husband who was taught manners and praised his aunt's lima beans although he hated them. She served them every day they were there because he :liked them so much."

It's just the two of us again this year, and we're having our usual that we actually look forward to! Somehow about five years ago Easter snuck up on me and all I had in the freezer was the Corned Beef Brisket that I had worked too late to cook for a St. Patricks Day dinner. Voila, Easter Dinner was born: Corned Beef & Cabbage alongside Garlic & Gruyere Smashed Yukon Golds. It's been a tradition ever since. I pick up a Corned Beef Brisket when it's on St. Patricks Day sale in March and it sits in the freezer until Easter. We spend the next week snuggled up to a loaf of Jewish Rye, Swiss Cheese and carmelized onions making the most wonderful grilled corned beef sandwiches. *sigh*

This year my dessert will be a new recipe, the Slow Cooker Cheesecake Sundaes from Marlene Koch's book 'Eat More of What You Love'. I have recently fallen head over heels for this lady and both of her Eat What You Love books have become my new toys. The few recipes that I have tried so far have been amazing!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

I made reservations!!
    That was my plan too, but my Sister overruled me

So she's supplying the ham and a potato dish, and I got a small half fresh turkey breast we'll bar-b-cue in the morning before going to her house, which is down the street...I'm also making a Weight Watchers green bean and almond saute, plus bringing rolls, and a really good looking strawberry-kiwi pie...since this will be our first Easter without my Dad, I really wanted to go out for a nice brunch...there's only 8 of us.

Happy Easter all!

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Gail, would you mind posting the WW green beans & almonds recipe? Sounds right up my alley,

Quote Originally Posted by gabbyh View Post
    That was my plan too, but my Sister overruled me

So she's supplying the ham and a potato dish, and I got a small half fresh turkey breast we'll bar-b-cue in the morning before going to her house, which is down the street...I'm also making a Weight Watchers green bean and almond saute, plus bringing rolls, and a really good looking strawberry-kiwi pie...since this will be our first Easter without my Dad, I really wanted to go out for a nice brunch...there's only 8 of us.

Happy Easter all!

~Gail
    Hi Gail, will be thinking of you tomorrow. Hope it won't be too sad.

Quote Originally Posted by gabbyh View Post

a really good looking strawberry-kiwi pie

~Gail
    and how would one go about making this really good looking pie!

Happy Easter

Quote Originally Posted by ctr264 View Post
    and how would one go about making this really good looking pie!

Happy Easter
    LOL, the pink color is just perfect...not too light or dark, it's piped in yummy whipped cream, with almonds pieces sprinkled on top, and right in the middle is a huge juicy strawberry and kiwi slice...and the best part...it was all done in the Publix bakery

~Gail
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    Hi Gail, will be thinking of you tomorrow. Hope it won't be too sad.
    Thanks Joan...My Mom brought it up yesterday, and it went right to my heart And she said: life goes on...

Thanks for thinking of me!

~Gail

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Quote Originally Posted by CookinginMO/KS View Post
    Gail, would you mind posting the WW green beans & almonds recipe? Sounds right up my alley,
    Here ya go...

Ingredients

1/2 cup(s) slivered almonds
    2 tsp olive oil
    3 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), minced
    8 cup(s) green snap beans, fresh, trimmed, or thawed if frozen
    1/2 cup(s) canned chicken broth, or vegetable broth
    1/2 tsp table salt, or to taste
    1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste

Instructions
    Place almonds in a large dry skillet and place pan over medium heat. Cook until nuts are golden brown, shaking pan frequently, about 2 to 4 minutes. Remove nuts from pan; set aside.

Heat oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook , stirring, 1 minute. Add string beans and sauté 1 minute. Add broth to pan; cover and steam until string beans are crisp-tender, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper; stir to coat. Remove from heat; stir in toasted almonds. Yields about 3/4 cup per serving.

Notes
    For variety, substitute pine nuts for almonds. Toast them just as you would the almonds.

You may also use wax beans, snap peas or snow peas, if desired

Courtesy of www.weightwatchers.com

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Pies are done, stuffed cabbages are done, the ham is in the roaster oven, and the lamb is in the oven. Next up is a reheat for the sausage and saurkraut and a bake for the pineapple cheese casserole.

I'm so made at myself. I accidentiy bought a a spiral ham. As I said it's in the roaster oven in Coke. I'll glaze with brown sugar, Dijon mustard, and brown sugar, and some brandy to thin it out. I hope it doesn't dry out. I don't like spiral hams because too many sides are exposed and may result in drying out. Happy
    Easter eveyrone!!

Quote Originally Posted by vbak View Post
    Pies are done, stuffed cabbages are done, the ham is in the roaster oven, and the lamb is in the oven. Next up is a reheat for the sausage and saurkraut and a bake for the pineapple cheese casserole.
    sounds so close to what my easter dinner were as a kid! many happy memories

homemade veggie broth is simmering- will get started prepping the veggies all for the spring vegetable risotto. enjoying a bit of prosecco and white bean dip-
    Cheryl

This is what is just about to come off the grill. More later

Ham Steaks with a Citrus Sauce
    Recipe by Jamie Purviance
    Featured on April 6, 2012

Sauce
    1/3cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1/3cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
    1/3cup finely chopped red onion
    Finely grated zest of 1 large orange
    1/4cup fresh orange juice
    2tablespoons fresh lime juice
    1teaspoon minced garlic
    3/4teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2teaspoon ground black pepper

1tablespoon orange marmalade
    1tablespoon fresh orange juice
    1tablespoon balsamic vinegar

2bone-in ham steaks, each about 1 pound and 3/4 inch thick 1/4teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 orange, cut into wedges (optional)

Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat (400° to 500°F).

In a medium, nonreactive bowl combine the sauce ingredients.

In a small saucepan combine the marmalade, orange juice, and vinegar. Cook over low heat just until the mixture thins slightly.

Blot the ham steaks dry with paper towels. Brush both sides of each ham steak with the marmalade mixture and season one side evenly with 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the ham steaks over direct medium-high heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until they are nicely marked and crispy around the edges, 6 to 8 minutes, turning once. Remove from the grill and cut into individual portions. Serve warm with the sauce and orange wedges, if desired.

Source: Weber

Thanks, Gail!

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    This is what is just about to come off the grill. More later

Ham Steaks with a Citrus Sauce
    Recipe by Jamie Purviance
    Featured on April 6, 2012

Sauce
    1/3cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1/3cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
    1/3cup finely chopped red onion
    Finely grated zest of 1 large orange
    1/4cup fresh orange juice
    2tablespoons fresh lime juice
    1teaspoon minced garlic
    3/4teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2teaspoon ground black pepper

1tablespoon orange marmalade
    1tablespoon fresh orange juice
    1tablespoon balsamic vinegar

2bone-in ham steaks, each about 1 pound and 3/4 inch thick 1/4teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 orange, cut into wedges (optional)

Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat (400° to 500°F).

In a medium, nonreactive bowl combine the sauce ingredients.

In a small saucepan combine the marmalade, orange juice, and vinegar. Cook over low heat just until the mixture thins slightly.

Blot the ham steaks dry with paper towels. Brush both sides of each ham steak with the marmalade mixture and season one side evenly with 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the ham steaks over direct medium-high heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until they are nicely marked and crispy around the edges, 6 to 8 minutes, turning once. Remove from the grill and cut into individual portions. Serve warm with the sauce and orange wedges, if desired.

Source: Weber
    This turned out very good. Didn't have orange marmalade, used pineapple preserves. I really don't think it was enough. Would double recipe next time. It did make enough sauce though. We only had 3 small slices leftover ham from a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ctr264 View Post
    I usually buy a 2 hams (1/2 ham each) and make both of these glazes.

Fire and Spice Ham (Cooking Light Recipe)
    Sweet-hot pepper jelly and tangy pineapple preserves create an easy glaze for the ham.

1 (5 1/2- to 6-pound) 33%-less-sodium smoked, fully cooked ham half
    Cooking spray
    1/2 cup red pepper jelly
    1/2 cup pineapple preserves (I use crushed pineapple)
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

Preparation
    Preheat oven to 425°.

Trim fat and rind from ham half. Score outside of ham in a diamond pattern. Place ham on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Combine jelly and remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Brush about one-third of jelly mixture over ham.

Bake at 425° for 5 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325° (do not remove ham from oven); bake an additional 45 minutes, basting ham with jelly mixture every 15 minutes. Transfer ham to a serving platter; let stand 15 minutes before slicing.
    We had this one plus this months Garlicky Asparagus,au gratin potatoes, and Strawberry Salad with Cinnamon Vinaigrette and an Angelfood cake cut into 3 layers with strawberry curd and straberries between layers with an icing of Cool Whip.