Community Message Boards

Thread: Low Carb bakers

Low Carb bakers

Is there any way this recipe can be made with unsweetened cocoa powder only, and stevia instead of sucinat?
    Any thoughts appreciated!

Chocolaty Cookies
    Clean Eating Magazine

INGREDIENTS:

• Olive oil cooking spray
    • 6 oz dark bittersweet chocolate, broken up
    • 3 large egg whites
    • 1 1/2 cups Sucanat, divided
    • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
    • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
    • 4 1/2 tsp arrowroot powder
    INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 375°F and lightly mist 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
    2. Place chocolate in a microwavable bowl and heat on high until chocolate melts, approximately 2 minutes, stirring once halfway through. Set aside to cool slightly.
    3. Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat egg whites until they form soft peaks. Gradually beat in 1 cup Sucanat and continue beating until mixture appears creamy. Add vanilla.
    4. In a separate small bowl, combine remaining 1/2 cup Sucanat, cocoa and arrowroot powder, then beatinto egg whites on low speed.
    5. Stir in warm chocolate and continue stirring gently until mixture thickens.
    6. Place rounded tablespoons of batter onto prepared baking sheets and bake for 10 minutes. Cool on sheetpans for an additional 10 minutes before transferring to racks to cool completely.
    Nutrients per cookie: Calories: 90, Total Fat: 3 g, Sat. Fat: 1.5 g, Carbs: 16 g, Fiber: 1 g, Sugars: 14 g, Protein: 1 g, Sodium: 15 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg.
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland

When I do baking, I usually do in casserole/pie-type things since the amount of stevia or lo han is so much less than sugar, the texture is never the same.

In that recipe, I would up the cocoa powder total and just leave out the choc. chips. I would use whole eggs instead of the whites (thus not having to replace the fat in the chocolate).
    I would also bake it as a brownie and not cookies.
    Arrowroot also has carbs; I would maybe sub flax seed.
    It won't be the same recipe, but I bet it will be yummy.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Thanks Walleycat - I had a feeling you'd have an answer!
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland