Community Message Boards

Thread: late afternoon weekday birthday parties

late afternoon weekday birthday parties

Do your kids get invited to these?

DH and I both work. For me Fridays is especially busy. My son was recently invited to a birthday party Friday at 4. My son stays at school on Fridays usually until 530. With so many early release days lately we just can't also take off early to take him to a party. I've also had customers who also host parties at 3 or 4 on a weekday afternoon. Just seems hard on the kids whose parents work and they have to miss the party.

It's been a couple of years since my kids were in elementary, but I don't remember a lot of parties with those times. I had a pretty big circle of SAHMs too, but the parties were almost always on a weekend day. I don't even recall a 7:00 on Friday evening type thing either.

I guess I would see if there is another parent you trust who can get your child from school and take him. We always ended up doing that for parties anyway, because often another sibling had to be somewhere else, etc and I couldn't do all the driving.
    Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

I don't recall birthday parties at that time when my kids were in elementary school. However, I think I would have handled it as OP suggested, by asking another parent who was available after school to take my child to the party, and offering to bring their child home. My dis are in middle school now, and although my schedule is pretty flexible I still rely on friends and neighbors from time to time if I get stuck in court or a meeting.
    Claire

It doesn't matter what you think, just that you do.

Most of the other working parents in our class have nannies so their kids can go to all the activities. I have 2 parents who I sometimes ask to pick up my son and take places but one I asked a lot lately and the other has guests in town. Its not really a big deal to miss this party but I'm more venting about this in general.

Quote Originally Posted by DanaSD View Post
    Most of the other working parents in our class have nannies so their kids can go to all the activities. I have 2 parents who I sometimes ask to pick up my son and take places but one I asked a lot lately and the other has guests in town. Its not really a big deal to miss this party but I'm more venting about this in general.
    Ah. I used to live in an area like that. I did not work at the the time, but on the occasions I did need help after school it did complicate matters.

I do agree that it is an unusual time to schedule a party. In addition to transportation problems, it seems like there would be conflicts with other after school activities, homework, or generally tired kids after school if they are younger. My kids always wanted parties scheduled when most of their friends would be able to attend.
    Claire

It doesn't matter what you think, just that you do.

I have held birthday parties on Friday afternoons and we have been invited to several at that time. We tend to have better attendance than on weekends due to sports conflicts.

I offer all attendees transportation to the birthday party. I have a van and so do my parents so we can take several children. I often end up borrowing car seats from friends to make it work. I then transport the child to my house until their parent can come pick them up. Last year, we had 5 or 6 kids until 6:30 or 7:00.

Cheryl

Quote Originally Posted by cchhbb View Post
    I offer all attendees transportation to the birthday party. I have a van and so do my parents so we can take several children. I often end up borrowing car seats from friends to make it work. I then transport the child to my house until their parent can come pick them up. Last year, we had 5 or 6 kids until 6:30 or 7:00.

Cheryl
    That is a really sensible way to deal with the transport problems if you have the vehicles to transport kids.

When our kids were young we always scheduled parties on weekends and they were invited to same. When they got older we turned bd parties into evening potlucks with entire families. After a few years passed the 'kids' were into hosting parties for each other and the parents of the host tried to be as inconspicious as possible (other than being chef) while still keeping one eye and both ears open. One of the best was when a grandma from Mexico City showed up with an astounding batch of hand crafted (this was beyond the art of homemade) tamales.
    Anne