Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking With Lemon

Cooking With Lemon

Hi, the ingredient this week on the game is lemon. It was the push I needed to work on my lemon recipes. I was surprised to find that I have enough recipes with lemon in them to overflow a 4" binder. So, guess what? Yep, the one thing I really love to do here. SHARE So, I hope you all are ok with the idea. And, I hope you all will share with us.

The first category I worked on was spice blends with lemon in them. For Penzeys lovers, here is a list of their spice blends that have lemon in them. I think they are all still availible. If not, please let me know and also if I missed new ones.

Arizona Dreaming
    Chicago Steak Seasoning
    Florida Seasoned Pepper
    Greek Seasoning
    Lemon-Pepper Seasoning
    Parisien Bonnes Herbes
    Poultry Seasoning
    Singapore Seasoning
    Sunny Spain Seasoning(Salt-free Lemon-Pepper)
    Tandoori Seasoning
    Trinidad Style Lemon-Garlic Marinade

For those that like to make there own spice blends, here are a few recipes.

Lemon-Herb Mix

Makes 1 cup

4 1/2 TB dried basil
    3 3/4 TB dried oregano
    1 1/2 TB ground black pepper
    1 1/2 TB granulated onion
    1 1/2 TB whole celery seed
    1 1/4 TB powdered basil(?)
    1/2 tsp granulated garlic
    1/2 tsp lemon rind, grated

Mix all together. Use fresh lemon juice to enhance flavor of the lemon mix.

Source: AHA Low Fat, Low Cholesterol Cookbook-1989

Puerto Rican Dry Adobo Seasoning

4 TB salt (use less if necessary)
    4 TB garlic powder
    2 TB onion powder
    2 TB black pepper
    2 TB cumin
    2 TB saffron (use less if necessary)
    2 TB dried oregano
    1 TB Lemon Zest
    1 TB turmeric
    1 TB paprika
    1 TB coriander
    1 TB dried cilantro

Mix all spices together and put in a sealed container.

Sprinkle on all your food while cooking.

Source: ?

Homemade Sweet Spice Blend
    makes 1/3 cup

1 TB finely grated orange or lemon peel
    2 TB ground cinnamon
    1 TB ground nutmeg
    1 TB ground cloves
    1 TB ground ginger

Spread orange/lemon peel on waxed paper; let stand, uncovered, 10 minutes. Mix peel thoroughly with spices. Store in an air tight container. Add 2 or 3 tsp of this mix to cake or quick bread batters; mix with ice cream, yogurt or fruit.

Hope to hear from you all.

I love lemon recipes! Especially desserts and baked goods... and I'm always looking for more! Share away...
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Quote Originally Posted by LakeMartinGal View Post
    I love lemon recipes! Especially desserts and baked goods... and I'm always looking for more! Share away...
    Thanks Kay, very happy to. Next up is "Appetizers, Dips and Spreads".This one will come in handy after Easter.

Spinach-Stuffed Deviled Eggs

6 hard-cooked eggs
    5 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and pressed
    1/4 cup lowfat cottage cheese
    2 TB minced onion
    1 1/3 TB milk
    1 1/4 tsp lemon juice
    1 tsp basil leaves, crushed
    1/4 tsp salt

Cut eggs in half lengthwise. Remove yolks; set white aside. Mash yolks with fork. Blend in remaining ingredients.

Refill whites, using 1 heaping TB yolk mixture for each egg half. Makes 6 appetizers.

Chive-Cheese Dip

1 8oz. container soft cream cheese with chives and onions
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup milk
    1 TB lemon juice

Position metal blade in food processor bowl. Add soft cream cheese with chivesss and onions and remaining ingredients. Process 30 seconds or until smooth, stopping once to scrape down sides. Makes 1 1/2 cups.

Source: Southern Living 4-94

Cookieee - I love the deviled egg recipe. I am thinking of trying it with beet pickled eggs. Color and flavor - yummmm.
    Anne

How about these for breakfast?

Lemon Biscuits

In bowl combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 TB baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt. Stir in 1 egg, 1/3 cup milk and 1 tsp grated lemon peel until just combined. On floured surface knead then roll out to 1/2 thick. Cut out biscuits using 2" star or biscuit cutter. Repeat with scraps.

This recipe did not come with any cooking directions, but next to it is another recipe for Lemon Biscuits and they say preheat oven to 350 and bake approx. 25 min.

Last edited by cookieee; 04-04-2012 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    Cookieee - I love the deviled egg recipe. I am thinking of trying it with beet pickled eggs. Color and flavor - yummmm.
    Darn I keep forgetting to put pickled beets on the shopping list.

Thanks, glad you love the recipe

Cookieee this is the recipe I use - what do you do?

Beet-Pickled Deviled Eggs Gourmet Magazine, Nov. 2009 clbb-Hammster

3 cups water
    1 cup distilled white vinegar
    1 small beet, peeled and sliced
    1 small shallot, sliced
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 Turkish or 1/2 California bay leaf
    12 hard-boiled large eggs, peeled
    1 teaspoon caraway seeds, toasted, cooled
    1/3 cup mayonnaise
    1 tablespoon grainy mustard
    1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley

Bring water, vinegar, beet, shallot, sugar, bay leaf, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan, then simmer, covered, until beet is tender, about 20 minutes. Cool completely, uncovered. Put beet mixture in a container with eggs and marinate, chilled, gently stirring once or twice, at least 2 hours.

Finely grind caraway seeds in grinder.

Remove eggs from beet mixture and pat dry (discard beet mixture). Cut in half lengthwise and remove yolks. Mash yolks with mayonnaise, mustard, parsley, and half of caraway. Season with salt and pepper, then divide among egg whites. Sprinkle with remaining caraway.

Cooks’ notes:
    •Eggs can be marinated, chilled, in an airtight container up to 3 days.
    •Eggs can be filled 2 hours ahead and chilled, loosely covered.
    Anne

Anne, I take the easy way out I buy a jar of pickled beets, eat the beets then put the eggs in the jar of juice for a few days.

Darn, wish I had found this a few days earlier.

Potato Latkes with Lemon-Date Relish

2 lbs baking potatoes, peeled
    1 medium-size sweet onion
    1 bunch green onions
    2 large eggs, lightly beaten
    2/3 cup matzo meal
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1/2 tsp cracked pepper
    1/2 cup olive oil
    Lemon Date Relish (recipe below)

Grate potatoes and onion, and place in a large bowl. Chop green onions and add to potato mixture. Stir in eggs and next 3 ingredients.

Drop mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls into hot oil in a large skillet over medium high heat; fry 5 minutes, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Serve with Lemon-Date Relish. Yield: 6 to 8 servings.

Lemon-Date Relish

2 large lemons
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1/2 cup pine nuts
    2 TB olive oil
    1 (8oz) pk. chopped pitted dates
    3 TB diced purple onion

Peel lemons with a vegetable peeler; cut rinds into a thin strips, and place in a saucepan. Add water to cover; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes. Drain and cool.

Squeeze lemons, reserving 1/2 cup juice.

Cook coriander and pine nuts in a heavy skillet over low heat, stirring constantly, until lightly browned. Stir in lemon rind, reserved lemon juice, and oil; cook, stirring often, 2 minutes.

Combine dates and onion in a bowl; stir in lemon mixture. Let stand 30 minutes. Yield: 3 cups.

Source: Chef Allen Susser- Southern Living - 11/96

I just made these new-to-me bars for one of the desserts for tomorrow. They came together very easily, and are in the oven baking right now. I hope they're good -- but since it was Joe that adapted them, I'm sure they'll be fine!

Creamy Lemon Pecan Bars (Adapted from Kraft)

8 Tbs unsalted butter, softened
    1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
    2 tsp vanilla
    1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
    3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/3 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
    8 oz cream cheese, softened
    1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
    3 large eggs
    1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
    1 Tbs fresh grated lemon zest
    confectioners' sugar to dust

1. Preheat oven to 350°

2. In a large bowl, beat together butter, powdered sugar and vanilla. Mix in the whole wheat pastry flour, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour and toasted pecans until crumbly. Scoop mixture into a 9" x 13" baking dish coated with nonstick spray. Pat the mixture down to form an even layer. Bake for 15 minutes - remove and reduce oven temperature to 325.

3. In a large mixing bowl, beat together cream cheese and granulated sugar until smooth and well blended. Mix in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Stir in remaining 1/4 cup flour, lemon juice and zest.

4. Pour mixture over the baked crust. Bake until set and very lightly browned around the edges - about 25 to 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely. Place in the refrigerator for at least a couple hours. Dust with confectioners' sugar on top before cutting into bars.

Servings: 28

Nutrition Facts
    Nutrition (per serving): 150 calories, 55 calories from fat, 6.3g total fat, 35.9mg cholesterol, 73.7mg sodium, 42.2mg potassium, 21.3g carbohydrates, <1g fiber, 13.9g sugar, 2.5g protein, 4.2 points.

Source
    Author: Healthy in Mn.
    Source: Culinary in the Country
    Kay

Hi Kay, glad you found something lemony to make. I have been going crazy trying to decide which one to post for you. I know you are watching your weight. Maybe I should have just ASKED you.

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    Hi Kay, glad you found something lemony to make. I have been going crazy trying to decide which one to post for you. I know you are watching your weight. Maybe I should have just ASKED you.
    No problem -- any lemony things are fine -- especially desserts!
    Kay

Hope you'll report back on the lemon bars! I hate baking, but bars and quick breads are fine. Good for bringing when I go to friends' for coffee.
    I've always said lemon is the perfect food: cocktails, appetizers, main dishes, sides, desserts...shower gel, dish soap, furniture polish My preference is cocktails and main dishes, esp lemon with pasta.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    Hope you'll report back on the lemon bars! I hate baking, but bars and quick breads are fine. Good for bringing when I go to friends' for coffee.
    I've always said lemon is the perfect food: cocktails, appetizers, main dishes, sides, desserts...shower gel, dish soap, furniture polish My preference is cocktails and main dishes, esp lemon with pasta.
    Haha, I just choked on my wine when I got to the shower gel, dish soap, furniture polish part.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Hope you'll report back on the lemon bars!
    I will, but it's going to be Monday morning before I do, probably -- depending on how much wine is consumed!
    Kay

Hi cookieee,

Thanks for starting this thread. I love lemon!

I make the Cooking Lignt Easy Lemon Bars all the time. I double the recipe and change the recipe just a little.

Here is the link where I talk about them and also my changes.

Lynette

No problem -- any lemony things are fine -- especially desserts!
    Oh Kay, look what I just found. It sounds so good and lemony, and it looks so easy to make.

Lemon Mousse

1/2 cup Lemon Juice
    2 tsp grated Lemon Peel
    1/2 cup sugar
    4 egg yolks, beaten
    1 cup heavy cream, whipped

Heat the lemon juice, lemon peel, sugar and egg yolks together in a saucepan. Cook and stir until thickened. Cool and fold in the whipped cream. Chill before serving.

Source: Chef Tell's Grand Old House - Grand Cayman, British West Indies

This sounds just up my alley

Carrot Salad with Cumin

1 lb carrots (about 6) peeled and coarsely grated
    1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, preferably Italian
    1 TB Fresh Lemon Juice
    1 TB olive oil
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

In a medium-sized bowl, toss all ingredients. Serve within 1 hour.
    Serves 4

Source: Eating Well 8/93

Cookieee -- we've actually eaten at Chef Tell's! I don't recall having lemon mousse, but it looks great! I tend to have Key Lime Pie wherever it's offered, and Grand Cayman has some of the best!
    Kay

The lemon bars are good -- enough lemon, but not too tart, and a nice cheesecake-style top. The pecans in the crust make a nice taste difference from the flour/sugar ones. I'd make them again! Although I like the really tart ones better...
    Kay

The lemon bars are good -- enough lemon, but not too tart, and a nice cheesecake-style top. The pecans in the crust make a nice taste difference from the flour/sugar ones. I'd make them again! Although I like the really tart ones better...
    Thanks, Kay! I'm not crazy about super tart so this would probably be a good one for me (and the textures sound nice). In fact, I'm doing to dig around the freezer for Meyer lemon juice.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

You should look into Vietnamese cuisine a bit.

They're big on lemon/lime in their food and have some really incredible dishes that you could incorporate into your repertoire.
    "Fat gives things flavor."
    - Julia Child

Quote Originally Posted by BananaMuffin View Post
    You should look into Vietnamese cuisine a bit.

They're big on lemon/lime in their food and have some really incredible dishes that you could incorporate into your repertoire.
    Hi, thanks, probabley will in 9 weeks. This week we are working on Morocco. (I am referring to our cooking game for this week. Have you checked it out?)

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    Hi, thanks, probabley will in 9 weeks. This week we are working on Morocco. (I am referring to our cooking game for this week. Have you checked it out?)

Oooh no I haven't. I just saw "lemon" and thought of Vietnamese food. I'll check it out
    "Fat gives things flavor."
    - Julia Child

Quote Originally Posted by over50newbie View Post
    Hi cookieee,

Thanks for starting this thread. I love lemon!

I make the Cooking Lignt Easy Lemon Bars all the time. I double the recipe and change the recipe just a little.

Here is the link where I talk about them and also my changes.

Lynette
    Your welcome Lynette. Sorry, just now saw your post..

I have this issue also. The picture of the recipe you made is on the cover. Good thing you doubled the recipe. They look like they would go real fast. They just look so good and lemony.drool.

Any particular category you would like me to post from? Using lemons of course.

I found who originally posted this, but if I got there through a link, I don't remember who. Sorry, but thank you. DH made this yesterday for our Easter dinner. We enjoyed it very much.

Lemon-sage Spaghetti Squash
    Serving Size :

2 Pounds Spaghetti Squash
    1/3 Cup Water
    2 Tablespoons Light Butter -- stick
    1/4 Cup Chopped Onion
    2 Garlic Cloves -- minced
    2 Tablespoons Shredded Parmesan Cheese
    2 Teaspoons Fresh Sage
    1 Teaspoon Grated Lemon Rind
    1/2 Teaspoon Salt
    1/4 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper

Pierce squash several times with a fork; place in an 11x7 inch baking dish. Microwave, uncovered, at HIGH 6 minutes. Cut in half lengthwise,discard seeds. Place squash, cut sides up, in baking dish; add water. Cover tightly with heavy-duty plastic wrap, turning back 1 corner to allow steam to escape. Microwave at HIGH 5 minutes or until tender. Drain and
    cool 15 minutes.

While squash cooks, melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over
    medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute 2 to 3 minutes or until onion is tender.

Using a fork, remove spaghetti-like strands from squash. Add strands (about 3 cups) to pan; cook 2 minutes or until throughly heated. Transfer to a bowl; add Parmesan cheese and remaining ingredients and toss well.

Source:
    "WeightWatchers Annual Recipes for Success 2007" clbb dibramcjoa 7/29/07

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 75 Calories; 3g Fat (35.5% calories
    from fat); 2g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 8mg
    Cholesterol; 256mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 2
    Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : Per Serving (1/2 cup): cal 58 (47% from fat); pro 1.4 g,
    fat 3 g (sat 1.6g), carb 8g;p fib 0.2g, chol 6 mg, iron
    0.4mg, sod 270mg, calc 48 mg

Great thread! I love recipes with grated lemon zest. That creates an imbalance with a lot of naked lemons waiting to be juiced. Always end up freezing lemon juice in my ice cube trays.

This salad has been my favorite for the last 6 months:

Arugula, Tomato, & Olive Salad

1 (5-ounce) container baby arugula
    24 cherry tomatoes, quartered
    12 pitted black olives, halved
    grated zest of 1 lemon
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Toss the arugula with all remaining ingredients; taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
    Serves 4

Adapted from this recipe.

Thanks Lynette for your link to the Lemon Squares! I love lemon bars but my favorite recipe sticks to the pan like crazy so I haven't made them for a long time. FWIW here is my recipe - it's either from CL or SL:

Lemon Bars

1 c butter, melted
    1/4 t salt
    1/2 c powdered sugar
    2 c flour
    4 eggs, slightly beaten
    1/3 c lemon juice
    2 c granulated sugar
    2 T flour
    grated rind of 1 lemon

Mix first 4 ingredients well and press gently into well greased 10x13-inch baking dish. Bake at 350° for 20-30 minutes. Remove from oven. Lower oven temperature to 325°.
    Mix remaining ingredients and pour over baked bottom while hot. Bake at 325° for 20-30 minutes or until set.
    Dust with powdered sugar and let cool at room temperature; cut into bars when cool.
    Last edited by swedish cook; 04-10-2012 at 09:57 PM.
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam

Quote Originally Posted by swedish cook View Post
    Great thread! I love recipes with grated lemon zest. That creates an imbalance with a lot of naked lemons waiting to be juiced. Always end up freezing the excess in my ice cube trays.

This salad has been my favorite for the last 6 months:

Arugula, Tomato, & Olive Salad

1 (5-ounce) container baby arugula
    24 cherry tomatoes, quartered
    12 pitted black olives, halved
    grated zest of 1 lemon
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Toss the arugula with all remaining ingredients; taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
    Serves 4

Adapted from this recipe.

Thanks Lynette for your link to the Lemon Squares! I love lemon bars but my favorite recipe sticks to the pan like crazy so I haven't made them for a long time. FWIW here is my recipe - it's either from CL or SL:

Lemon Bars

1 c butter, melted
    1/4 t salt
    1/2 c powdered sugar
    2 c flour
    4 eggs, slightly beaten
    1/3 c lemon juice
    2 c granulated sugar
    2 T flour
    grated rind of 1 lemon

Mix first 4 ingredients well and press gently into well greased 10x13-inch baking dish. Bake at 350° for 20-30 minutes. Remove from oven. Lower oven temperature to 325°.
    Mix remaining ingredients and pour over baked bottom while hot. Bake at 325° for 20-30 minutes or until set.
    Dust with powdered sugar and let cool at room temperature; cut into bars when cool.
    Hi, thanks for the link. What a lot of great recipes and helpful information. Also thank you for the lemon bar recipe.

Oh boy, I love getting these e-mails everyday. You never know what you will find.

Can't wait to try this one. Really like buttermilk.

Buttermilk Pie
    Recipe courtesy Food Network Magazine

1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
    2 large eggs, separated
    1 disk refrigerated or homemade pie dough
    1 stick unsalted butter, melted
    1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
    1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

Let the buttermilk and eggs come to room temperature 1 hour before making the filling.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Ease the dough into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate and crimp as desired. Pierce all over with a fork. Line the dough with foil, then fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake until the edges are golden, about 20 minutes. Remove the parchment and weights and continue baking until lightly golden all over, about 10 more minutes. Let cool completely on a rack.

Make the filling: Beat the butter and sugar in a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or use a hand mixer) on medium-high speed until combined, about 1 minute. Add the egg yolks and beat until pale and thick, about 1 minute. Reduce the mixer speed to medium low; add the flour, lemon juice, lemon zest, nutmeg and salt and beat until just incorporated. Increase the speed to medium high and slowly pour in the buttermilk. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and continue beating until combined. Transfer to a large bowl.

Clean the mixer and whisk attachment. Add the egg whites and beat on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form, about 4 minutes. Fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture in three additions until no white streaks remain. Pour the filling into the prepared crust. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake until golden and set around the edges (the center will still jiggle), 45 to 50 minutes, rotating the pie halfway through. Let cool on a rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.

Here's one I haven't made in a while but we liked...It is a CL Recipe

Sweet Potato and Apple Gratin
    Let it stand for 10 minutes after baking so the juices can thicken.
    Ingredients
    • 3 cups thinly sliced peeled Granny Smith apple (about 1 1/4 pounds)
    • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
    • 4 small sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 2 pounds)
    • 1/4 cup maple syrup
    • 1 tablespoon butter, melted
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    • Cooking spray
    • 2 (1-ounce) slices white bread
    • 2 teaspoons olive oil
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    Preparation
    Preheat oven to 400°.
    Combine apples and lemon juice in a large bowl. Add the sweet potatoes and the next 4 ingredients (sweet potatoes through pepper). Place the sweet potato mixture in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 40 minutes, stirring after 25 minutes.
    Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs form to measure 1 cup. Combine breadcrumbs, oil, and nutmeg; sprinkle over the sweet potato mixture. Bake for an additional 15 minutes or until golden. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
    EmptyNestMom
    Grandma Pam to 3

“Other creatures receive food simply as fodder. But we take the raw materials of the earth and work with them—touch them, manipulate them, taste them, glory in their heady smells and colors, and then, through a bit of alchemy, transform them into delicious creations.”
    ― Judith Jones, The Tenth Muse: My Life in Food