1. COOKBOOK -STARTS WITH M

2. TO-TRY FOLDER - RECIPE STARTS WITH M

3. CHEF - LAST NAME STARTS WITH M

4. INGREDIENT - MATZO

5. MOROCCO - ANY RECIPE FROM MOROCCO

REMEMBER, THE RECIPE HAS TO BE NEW TO YOU

THE GAME IS OPEN TO EVERYONE

HAPPY COOKING!!!!!!

Oh, yay! -- I was about to head for the store soon to lay in a supply of matzo, and now I get to do all kinds of experimentation and earn points, too! Yippee!

Back later, after I hunt through my book, author, and to-try lists. Cookieee, I love you! Er, um, I mean the game, of course. Well, okay, you too.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

QUOTE=Ohioan;1652222]Oh, yay! -- I was about to head for the store soon to lay in a supply of matzo, and now I get to do all kinds of experimentation and earn points, too! Yippee!

Back later, after I hunt through my book, author, and to-try lists. Cookieee, I love you! Er, um, I mean the game, of course. Well, okay, you too.

Cheers,
    Phoebe[/QUOTE]

Hi Phoebe, I was hoping this would make you happy. Thank you for being such a loyal friend, er, I mean player. ok, friend. also

Reminder, I do take requests also.

Not that the past few letters have been hard but I totally have more options available with the letter M! Hard to believe we're already halfway through the alphabet already!
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!
    http://massachuseats.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell18 View Post
    Not that the past few letters have been hard but I totally have more options available with the letter M! Hard to believe we're already halfway through the alphabet already!
    I always say, time flies when you are having fun. I can't wait to check out my Moroccan recipes.

A friend of mine on Facebook mentioned a recipe for "Matzo crack" which I assume means lots of butter and brown sugar... maybe I'll track it down!

Here's the link
    Last edited by LakeMartinGal; 04-05-2012 at 02:58 PM.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

and here is another one.

http://www.onceuponachef.com/2011/04...tzo-crack.html Boy, it does sound good.

I made the Minestrone with Pesto Soup from the Cook This, Not That (350 calorie version) by David Zinczenko & Matt Goulding for dinner tonight. It was a great version of the classic soup - the pesto truly made it! And the portion size was huge & chock full of amazing veggies, all for 200 calories & 5g fat.

Minestrone with Pesto

1 Tb olive oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minces
    8 oz Yukon gold or red potatoes, cubed
    2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
    1 medium zucchini, chopped
    8 oz green beans, ends trimmed, halved
    Salt and black pepper to taste
    1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
    8 cups low-sodium chicken stock (or a mixture of stock & water)
    1/2 tsp dried thyme
    1/2 can (14-16 oz) cannellini beans (Oops, just realized as I was typing this that I used the entire can...which I recommend)
    Pesto
    Parmesan for grating

Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in the potatoes, carrots, zucchini, and green beans. Season with a bit of salt and cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes to release the vegetables' aromas. Add the tomatoes, stock, and thyme and turn the heat down to low. Season with salt (if still needed) and pepper to taste. Simmer for at least 15 minutes, and up to 45. (Depending on how long your veggies take to soften.)

Before serving, stir in the white beans and heat through. Serve with a dollop of pesto and a bit of grated Parmesan.

Makes 4 servings.
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!

Wow Reb. That sounds good and healthy. Lot of good veggies. Thanks I would use the whole can also. Really like cannellini beans

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    Wow Reb. That sounds good and healthy. Lot of good veggies. Thanks I would use the whole can also. Really like cannellini beans
    Of course! What the heck would you do with the other half can? Mine would languish in the refrigerator until I threw it out!
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

Me too And it was a perfect ratio with the whole can - I would have been bummed if there was any less. I can only guess that they were trying to keep the calorie count down...but that other half a can really wouldn't jack it up much at all. Bah, who knows!

Quote Originally Posted by Goin' Coastal View Post
    Of course! What the heck would you do with the other half can? Mine would languish in the refrigerator until I threw it out!
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Goin' Coastal View Post
    Of course! What the heck would you do with the other half can (of beans)? Mine would languish in the refrigerator until I threw it out!
    Ooo, no no no no noooooo! Leftover beans are great for soup, dips, rice 'n' beans, pasta 'n' beans, veggies 'n' beans....

Beans are our friends!

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Quote Originally Posted by Ohioan View Post
    Ooo, no no no no noooooo! Leftover beans are great for soup, dips, rice 'n' beans, pasta 'n' beans, veggies 'n' beans....

Beans are our friends!

Cheers,
    Phoebe
    Believe it. And that is coming from our Bean Queen.

Happy passover !!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Easter!!!!!!!!

Well, this weekend I was going to make a triple-pointer from Gil Marks's Olive Trees and Honey, Moroccoan Spicy Chickpeas (chef, recipe title, country). But when I went to the cupboard to get out my chickpeas, I discovered that I was all out ... of chickpeas, that is. So instead I went with a double-pointer, Matzoh Brei Parmigiana (title, ingredient). The matzoh parm, posted below, was surprisingly good. But I still want to make those chickpeas. Alas, however, I'm going to be eating on the run tonight on my way to a meeting, and I'll be taking a friend out for her birthday on Wednesday, so unless I can squeeze the recipe in tomorrow, This Is Not To Be. But I'll post the recipe anyway, just in case -- and in case anyone else wants to try it.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Matzoh Brei Parmigiana
    Servings: 1

1 matzo, soaked
    1/8 onion, chopped
    1/8 clove garlic, chopped
    1/2 tsp olive oil
    1/3 cup tomato sauce
    1/2 tsp chopped parsley
    1 pinch salt
    1 pinch pepper
    1 egg
    4 tsp Mozzarella cheese, diced

Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil until slightly browned. Add the tomato sauce, parsley, salt, and pepper, and simmer for 20 minutes. Drain the matzo and mix with the egg, salt, and pepper. Put half the egg mixture into an oiled casserole. Sprinkle half the cheese over it, and then the rest of the egg mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and top with tomato sauce. Bake uncovered at 325F for 25 minutes.

Author: Ruth and Bob Grossman
    Source: The New Kosher Cookbook Trilogy

--------------------
    Moroccan Spicy Chickpeas
    Servings: 6

2 1/2 cups dried chickpeas, soaked and drained
    3 Tbsp olive oil
    2 onions, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    3 carrots, chopped
    2 turnips, peeled and chopped (optional)
    1/4 tsp cayenne
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp ground cumin
    1/4 tsp ground ginger
    1/4 tsp paprika
    1/8 tsp saffron threads or ground turmeric
    3 cups plum tomatoes, peeled and chopped
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

1. Cook soaked chickpeas until tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Drain.

2. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for 1 minute. Add the garlic and carrots and, if using, the turnips, and sauté until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the cayenne, cinnamon, cumin, ginger, paprika, and saffron, and sauté for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes liquefy into a sauce, about 20 minutes.

3. Add the chickpeas and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and parsley. If desired, stir in harissa to taste. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Author: Gil Marks
    Source: Olive Trees and Honey

Hi Phoebe, hope you had a good holiday. What is the difference between the spelling of Matzo/Matzoh? Both recipes sound so good. Hope you get to make the chickpea one.

Wow, it's quiet around here these days. I've not been visiting lately, but I dropped in for some inspiration as I'm doing some meal planning.

At any rate, cookieee (did I spell that right?), I noticed your question about how to spell matzoh. The word is Hebrew, and your entitled to spell it any way you want in English, if you think that the spelling matches the way it is pronounced (the technical term is transliteration).

I've made that Matzoh Brickle in the past; mmm, it is wonderful stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by meslgh View Post
    Wow, it's quiet around here these days. I've not been visiting lately, but I dropped in for some inspiration as I'm doing some meal planning.

At any rate, cookieee (did I spell that right?), I noticed your question about how to spell matzoh. The word is Hebrew, and your entitled to spell it any way you want in English, if you think that the spelling matches the way it is pronounced (the technical term is transliteration).

I've made that Matzoh Brickle in the past; mmm, it is wonderful stuff!
    WOW Hi meslgh, Yes, it has been quite a while. Good to see you again.

Yes, you got the name right.

Thanks for the info about matzo, that is what I thought. It's on the shopping list. I HAVE to make that soon.

Hope you will stick around for a while and play the game. I think game #9 was your last one.

I'm sure you will find lots of menu inspiration here even though it has been pretty quiet.

On The Talk right now 2:51 they are showing us how to have a outdoor Morocco party.

Hi cookieee & GOTW gang...I am just checking in to say I won't be making a recipe this week...just no time to cook. Course eating goes on...just with stuff I've made quickly on the fly or something from the freezer.

I thought I'd be playing the "M" game, but it isn't happening this week.

Next game though...

Hi Susan, sorry, hope you can make it next week. I am still trying to figure out if I can play this week. DH has been pretty busy this week.

Well I finally found a recipe that I have almost everything for. I don't have peaches so I will use prunes instead. At my age that is a better substitute

Quick Moroccan Chicken

1 10 oz box couscous
    1/2 TB olive oil
    1 lg. clove garlic, thinly sliced
    1 1/2 TB light brown sugar
    pinch ground nutmeg
    1 1/2 TB red wine vinegar
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1 15 oz can diced peaches or peach slices, drained
    1 rotisserie chicken, cut into pieces
    1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves (optional)

Cook the couscous according to the package directions. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 1/2 minutes. Add the sugar, nutmeg, vinegar, and orange juice and bring to a simmer. Add the peaches and continue to simmer until the liquid had reduced slightly, about 5 minutes. Divide the couscous and chicken among individual bowls, top with the peach sauce, and sprinkle with the parsley (if using).

Source: pbs.org extra

Back tonight with the review.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell18 View Post
    Now that you have mentioned it, what do you all want to do with the really hard ones coming up.

1. Skip them, if so, which ones?

2. Do them by themselves

3. Group them, like X,Y,Z

Well I finally found a recipe that I have almost everything for. I don't have peaches so I will use prunes instead. At my age that is a better substitute

Quick Moroccan Chicken

1 10 oz box couscous
    1/2 TB olive oil
    1 lg. clove garlic, thinly sliced
    1 1/2 TB light brown sugar
    pinch ground nutmeg
    1 1/2 TB red wine vinegar
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1 15 oz can diced peaches or peach slices, drained
    1 rotisserie chicken, cut into pieces
    1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves (optional)

Cook the couscous according to the package directions. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 1/2 minutes. Add the sugar, nutmeg, vinegar, and orange juice and bring to a simmer. Add the peaches and continue to simmer until the liquid had reduced slightly, about 5 minutes. Divide the couscous and chicken among individual bowls, top with the peach sauce, and sprinkle with the parsley (if using).

Source: pbs.org extra

Back tonight with the review.
    Oh sooooo good!!!!!!! We had 1/2 chicken left, but I made the full recipe for the sauce. Next time I will double it. I think the prunes made it more Moroccan. Served with couscous and green beans. DH had to work overtime. The first dinner in a long time that I cooked all by myself. So, you know if it was easy enough for me to cook, you can do it. Next time, and there will be a next time, I do want to try it with the peaches.

Now that you have mentioned it, what do you all want to do with the really hard ones coming up.

1. Skip them, if so, which ones?

2. Do them by themselves

3. Group them, like X,Y,Z
    Hmm, that's a good question! I'm not sure what we should do - let's ponder this a bit