Community Message Boards

Thread: Philly Cheesesteak CL- 3/12

Philly Cheesesteak CL- 3/12

Made this for dinner last night, and was it ever a hit! I'm sure it's not even close to authentic, but it made us very happy. I really liked the sauce with the provolone and parmesan, though I did double the amount of provolone I shredded into it.

The only other change I made was with the seasoning. That was not enough salt or pepper for my taste, so I upped them both, the black pepper much more than the salt. I froze the flank steak for about 20 minutes before slicing, and was really happy with how thing I was able to get the slices.

Overall, a keeper for us. I loved the veggie mix, and actually, for a veg-head, if you upped the portabellas, I thought the veggies could have made a great sandwich all on their own! The recipe can be found here at Myrecipes.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

So it's kind of a cheese sauce, huh? Neat.

I think I will try that upping the veg plan, being a veghead. Thanks for the review!

Yes, it's a sauce instead of slices of cheese, so it dribbles down into the meat and veggies and gets all incorporated. DH and I loved it, the kids, however, would have preferred slices of American cheese on it. So I'll do that for them next time.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Quote Originally Posted by heavy hedonist View Post
    I think I will try that upping the veg plan, being a veghead. Thanks for the review!
    Eating Well had a portabello based cheese"steak" a few years ago that is pretty tasty. http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/po..._sandwich.html

Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by mrswaz View Post
    Yes, it's a sauce instead of slices of cheese, so it dribbles down into the meat and veggies and gets all incorporated. DH and I loved it, the kids, however, would have preferred slices of American cheese on it. So I'll do that for them next time.
    Cheez Whiz works great too!
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

That sounds really good and easy. Even adding a little extra cheese, it is still a pretty good calorie count for something that you would think would be much worse for you. Might have to try that next week.