Community Message Boards

Thread: Gluten-free yeasted rolls???

Gluten-free yeasted rolls???

Nothing's coming up in search, despite all the GF threads we've had lately! And I'm not finding yeasted GF recipes too easily either. If you have a good one, please, point the way!

My younger sister is having Easter dinner, asked me to bring yeast rolls.... I know she's probably planning on breaking her GF status for that day, (she's on a testing diet, no dairy, sugar, GF). But still, I'd like to give her an alternative. I figure I'll make two batches of different rolls, to suit everyone. I can adapt a GF yeast bread recipe, of course--- doesn't have to be rolls specifically.

Okay, I've found one @vegetariantimes.com, but I'm hoping for something simpler still...

Country Bread
    Makes 1 loaf (10 slices)

A good recipe for homemade bread is worth its weight in gold to gluten-intolerant bakers. This soft, chewy loaf fits the bill.

1 tsp. sugar
    1 0.75-oz. pkg. yeast
    1 cup brown rice flour
    1 cup sunflower seeds
    ½ cup ground flaxseeds or flaxseed meal
    ½ cup potato starch
    ¼ cup soy flour
    ¼ cup tapioca flour or starch
    1 Tbs. xanthan gum
    1 tsp. salt
    2 eggs
    2 egg whites
    ½ cup soymilk or rice milk
    ¼ cup olive oil
    ¼ cup molasses
    1 Tbs. apple cider vinegar

Coat 9- x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Combine sugar and 1/4 cup warm water. Sprinkle yeast on top, then stir to combine. Set aside.

Whisk together rice flour, sunflower seeds, flaxseeds, potato starch, soy flour, tapioca flour, xanthan gum, and salt in large bowl. In separate bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, soymilk, oil, molasses, and vinegar.

Add dry ingredients to egg mixture, and beat with electric mixer on low speed 1 minute. Add yeast mixture, increase mixer speed to medium-high, and beat 3 minutes. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan; let rise 1 hour in warm place.
    Preheat oven to 350˚F. Bake loaf 45 to 55 minutes, or until deep golden brown (the outside will look very dark but the inside will be soft and moist). Cool 10 minutes, then turn out onto cutting board, and slice.

Will any of the recipes in Gluten Free Girl & the Chef's blog work?
    There cannot be a crisis today. My schedule is already full.
    -Henry Kissinger

Quote Originally Posted by MinEaston View Post
    Will any of the recipes in Gluten Free Girl & the Chef's blog work?
    I always forget about them-- thanks, I'll check it out!

You may want to check out this blog:

http://glutenfreemom.typepad.com/glu...ad-recipe.html

She has a gluten-free brown bread, plus several links to other recipes. This particular bread won in the gluten free bread competition.

http://www.cookingbread.com/gluten_free.html, has some gluten free bread recipes

I have never tried anything from either blog so I can't comment too much on it, but it may help.

If anyone on the board has Donna Washburn cookbooks, she has many gluten free books out there, including specifically on breads. I've seen many of her books at Chapters, but don't have any.

Thanks, ctr264-- lots of recipes and links, there, too. I think I can find or craft something good from some of these recipes-- if I'd known in time, I could have gotten a cookbook from the library. I was sick all last week and didn't even know if I'd be going to dinner, much less baking.

Thanks, everyone, for your help-- if I have great success, I'll post about it here.

Here's two recipes I use. The baguette one makes nice hamburger sort of rolls (see note at bottom of recipe). The brioche recipe also makes nice rolls.

Gluten-Free Baguettes
    This recipe makes marvelous gluten-free bread in just two hours. Slice and feast! Use baguettes for garlic bread, crostini, submarine sandwiches, baguette pizza and even French toast.

3 cups Gluten-Free, High-Protein Flour Blend (see below)
    1 Tbs cornmeal, more for dusting
    2 tsp sugar
    1 Tbs xanthan gum
    2 pkgs (4 1/2 tsp) rapid yeast
    3/4 tsp salt
    1 1/4 cups warm water
    1 tsp cider vinegar
    2 eggs, room temperature
    3 Tbs extra virgin olive oil

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a double baguette form with foil, extending foil up the sides by 2 inches. Lightly grease foil and sprinkle with cornmeal. Alternatively, make two baguette-shaped forms, each measuring 2 inches wide, 4 inches high, 14-16 inches long, using a double thickness of heavy-duty foil, dull side out. Lightly grease and sprinkle each with cornmeal and place on a cookie sheet.

Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl of a stand mixer (if your hand mixer has dough hooks, you can use it). In a separate bowl, whisk together the water, vinegar, eggs and oil. Add to dry ingredients. (Note you want to pour the liquid in and get the mixer going as quick as possible. As soon as the liquid hits the starches, they start to gel and set up and you'll have a difficult time blending them if you let it sit.) Using the beater or paddle of your mixer (not the whisk), beat mixture on low speed until well blended. Then turn the speed up and beat for 5 minutes on medium-high speed.

With oiled hands, divide dough in half and shape into 2 baguettes. Place in prepared pan and cover with lightly greased plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place for 20 to 30 minutes.

Spritz or brush dough with water. Place in preheated oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until done. Bread is done when internal temperature reaches 200 degrees F.

*To Make Rolls: Shape into buns, brush with beaten egg and sprinkle tops with gf oats. Bake 15 minutes.

High-Protein Flour Blend

1 1/4 cup chickpea flour
    1 cup cornstarch, potato starch* or arrowroot starch
    1 cup tapioca starch/flour
    1 cup white or brown rice flour

*Note that potato starch and potato flour are two different products.

Source: www.livingwithout.com

Gluten Free Brioche Recipe
    From “Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day” by Zoe François and Jeff Hertzberg

Makes enough dough for three 1.5 pound loaves

1 cup brown rice flour
    1 cup tapioca starch (tapioca flour)
    3 3/4 cups cornstarch
    2 tablespoons granulated yeast
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    2 tablespoons xanthan gum
    2 1/2 cups milk
    1 cup honey
    4 large eggs
    1 cup neutral flavor oil, such as canola or vegetable oil
    1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
    Egg wash (1 beaten egg with 1 tablespoon water) for brushing on loaf
    Raw sugar for sprinkling on top crust

Whisk together the brown rice flour, tapioca starch, cornstarch, yeast, salt and xanthan gum in a 5-quart bowl, or a lidded (not airtight) food container.

Combine the liquid ingredients and gradually mix them into the dry ingredients using one of the following: a spoon, a 14-cup food processor (with dough attachment) or a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Mix just until there are no dry bits of flour. You might need to use wet hands to get the last bits of flour to incorporate if you are not using a machine.

Cover (not airtight!) and allow the dough to rest at room temperature for 2 hours.

The dough can be used now, after this initial rise, or it can be refrigerated for up to 5 days – do not store in an airtight container!

On baking day, grease a 8.5x4.5 nonstick loaf pan. Use wet hands to break a 1.5 pound piece of refrigerated dough and shape it into a ball. Note: the dough isn’t stretched because there’s no gluten in it – just gently press it into shape. You might need to wet your hands to keep the dough from sticking and to create a smooth surface. Do not make the dough soggy.

Elongate the dough into an oval and put it in the loaf pan, smoothing the surface with your fingers. Cover loosely and allow to rest for 90 minutes (40 minutes if you are using fresh, unrefrigerated dough).

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Just before putting it in the oven, use a pastry brush to gently paint the top of the loaf with egg wash and sprinkle raw sugar.

Bake in the center of the oven for about 40-45 minutes. The loaf is done once it is caramel brown and firm to the touch. Smaller or larger loaves will require adjustments in resting and baking times.

Remove brioche from the pan and allow it to cool on a rack before slicing and eating. If it will not come out of the pan, let it sit for five minutes to allow the loaf time to steam itself loose from the pan. To firm up the outer crust again, place it back in the oven for three minutes to dry out the damp sides.

www.wasabimon.com
    For those in touch with it, Reality is the leading cause of stress.

I like the high protein blend, there-- more like Bob's Red Mill, but simpler!