Community Message Boards

Thread: buttermilk

Question buttermilk

How can you tell if buttermilk is bad?

How old is it?

Sniff and taste?
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam

Buttermilk stays good long after the sell-by date, even if opened. I love buttermilk so it would be immediately apparent to me if it had gone south. I know some people can't distinguish between the natural tartness / cultured taste of buttermilk/yogurt/sour cream and "bad" ... so if that's you ... sorry I can't help!
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by vbak View Post
    How old is it?
    The date on it is April 4, and I opened it about 2 weeks ago. It smells ok, it just looks seperated. Is that normal?

I think it's fine. It would have an off aroma to it. I just opened a qt. yesterday to make ranch dressing and buttermilk chicken with a sell by date of March 22. Whatcha makin'?

Quote Originally Posted by vbak View Post
    I think it's fine. It would have an off aroma to it. I just opened a qt. yesterday to make ranch dressing and buttermilk chicken with a sell by date of March 22. Whatcha makin'?
    Sylvia's Ozark Cornbread! Got the recipe here and we love it. It's not always popular with guests, who usually prefer a sweeter, cakier cornbread, but it's hands down our favorite. I've got blackeyed peas with lots of onions, garlic and crushed pepper ready to go in the pressure cooker and fresh spinach ready to steam. One of our favorite meals--simple, healthy and yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieM View Post
    The date on it is April 4, and I opened it about 2 weeks ago. It smells ok, it just looks seperated. Is that normal?
    Yes. Date of 4/4, opened 2 weeks ago? It's probably good till fall. Well, not really, but that stuff does take forever to go bad. Maybe it's too acidic for the nasties to grow in it well?
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Quote Originally Posted by JulieM View Post
    Sylvia's Ozark Cornbread! Got the recipe here and we love it. It's not always popular with guests, who usually prefer a sweeter, cakier cornbread, but it's hands down our favorite. I've got blackeyed peas with lots of onions, garlic and crushed pepper ready to go in the pressure cooker and fresh spinach ready to steam. One of our favorite meals--simple, healthy and yummy.
    YUM Julie! I should have stopped after work for a quick bite...sounds delish!

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Can I get in on this too? I love cornbread and also buttermilk. I have 1/2 quart sitting in the fridge. Yes, it does last a long time once opened.

Buttermilk definitely seperates as it sits, but a good shake will fix that quick.

I've opened cartons of buttermilk and found a nice orange fungus growing- that's how I know they're bad. I never shake the carton until I've opened it up and looked for the mold growing. But no mold, and I consider it good to go.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

OK, everyone's invited to the boat for cornbread and black eyed peas!

Thanks all for the tips on the buttermilk. mrswaz, sounds like a good tip to keep an eye out for the orange fuzz before shaking.