1. COOKBOOK - STARTS WITH N

2. TO-TRY FOLDER - RECIPE STARTS WITH N

3. CHEF - LAST NAME STARTS WITH N

4. INGREDIENT - NAVY BEANS

5. NEW MEXICO - ANY RECIPE FROM NEW MEXICO

REMEMBER, THE RECIPE HAS TO BE NEW TO YOU

THE GAME IS OPEN TO EVERYONE

HAPPY COOKING !!!!!!!!

I'm a little bummed that I didn't get as much done with M last week as I'd wanted to - I had some really great recipes & cookbooks - but time seems to be slipping away fast lately. Ah well, its a new week and a new challenge! Off to peruse N recipes
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!
    http://massachuseats.com/

I probably won't be playing this week. DH wanted all T&T's this week...
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Reb and Kay, things are so slow around here, Reb, if you want post a "M" recipe you were going to make last week, and Kay post what you think is your best T & T from this week. OK?

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    Reb and Kay, things are so slow around here, Reb, if you want post a "M" recipe you were going to make last week, and Kay post what you think is your best T & T from this week. OK?
    Aw thanks cookieee! I'm going to try to tackle N first and then maybe get back to try out another M recipe
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!

I may not be able to play this week's game, because I'm down with a miserable case of flu and fever -- can barely sit up at the computer and write this. Just wanted to let you know the cause of my absence so you won't think I've eloped with the chauffeur. (Not that I have a chauffeur, you understand.)

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Quote Originally Posted by Ohioan View Post
    I may not be able to play this week's game, because I'm down with a miserable case of flu and fever -- can barely sit up at the computer and write this. Just wanted to let you know the cause of my absence so you won't think I've eloped with the chauffeur. (Not that I have a chauffeur, you understand.)

Cheers,
    Phoebe
    Well, we will just have to get you one to take you to the Doctors until you get better.

Thank you for letting me know Phoebe, I am so sorry you are sick. Anyone around to make you some Jewish penicillian?

ok, 2 days late. I have a leftover M recipe.

Marinated Green Beans

2 lbs green beans
    1 cup Moroccan-Style Low-Oil Vinaigrette Dressing

Wash the beans and prepare for cooking. Blanch briefly in a small amount of salted water just until cooked, about 10 minutes. Pour the dressing over the beans while they are still hot. Chill for several hours or longer. Serve chilled or at room temperature. Makes 8 servings.

Moroccan-Style Low-Oil Vinaigrette Dressing

1/3 cup olive oil
    1/3 champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
    1/3 cup water
    1 tsp. cumin
    4 green onions, chopped finely
    salt and pepper to taste

Combine ingredients in a jar. Shake well. Makes 1 cup

I wanted something a little different for lunch today, so I made this dressing to put over my salad. Make sure to let it sit long enough to let the cumin dissolve. I enjoyed it very much. Next time I will make sure I have Champagne Vinegar. I don't think I have ever tried it before

Have a good week-end everyone.

Well, we will just have to get you one to take you to the Doctors until you get better.

Thank you for letting me know Phoebe, I am so sorry you are sick. Anyone around to make you some Jewish penicillian?
    You didn't answer I hope that doesn't mean you are too sick to sit at your computer again. Sorry I am not there to nurse you back to good health. Please keep me posted.

You didn't answer I hope that doesn't mean you are too sick to sit at your computer again. Sorry I am not there to nurse you back to good health. Please keep me posted.
    Hi, cookieee ... yeah, you can tell I'm really sick when I don't even turn on the computer for almost two whole days. Alas, no one around to make the Jewish penicillin for me. Are you volunteering?

I did try making a pot of Bob's Red Mill Veggie Mix (green and yellow split peas, lentils, barley, and tiny pasta) last night, but it was all I could do to cut up the onion, carrot, and celery for it, and I didn't have much appetite anyway. This is not a good way to lose weight.

Still trying to break the fever. I've got it down out of the 100s now, but I can't seem to get out of the 99s. Meanwhile, I'm probably keeping my neighbors up all night with my coughing. They must think I have an overactive troupe of barking seals in my apartment.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Darn, so sorry this is happening. I always suggest to people to drink a lot of pineapple juice if they get congested. Have you tried that yet?

Wow, this Thursdays game is our every 5th game again. Does anybody have any suggestion?

Wow, this Thursdays game is our every 5th game again. Does anybody have any suggestion?
    I enjoyed the game where we all listed a couple of items we had languishing around and someone picked a ingredient for us to use up!

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell18 View Post
    I enjoyed the game where we all listed a couple of items we had languishing around and someone picked a ingredient for us to use up!
    What do you mean "someone"?

Good suggestion. We have 3 days to make up our list. Check your fridge, spice racks and pantry. Then give me a list of 5 items that have overstayed their welcome. Then Thursday, I will pick one for you to use that week. If you want to use another one, let me know. It will be up to you what you will use up that week. Thanks Reb

What do you mean "someone"?

Good suggestion. We have 3 days to make up our list. Check your fridge, spice racks and pantry. Then give me a list of 5 items that have overstayed their welcome. Then Thursday, I will pick one for you to use that week. If you want to use another one, let me know. It will be up to you what you will use up that week. Thanks Reb
    Lol that's not how I meant it!! :P

I'll be browsing through my odds n ends and post a list soon!

I made these brownies this evening to satisfy both my sweet tooth and the letter N requirement! They are pretty good - not as great as regular brownies, of course. I'm not sure that I'd repeat them but I'm looking forward to having one later nonetheless.

Not-So-Sinful Brownies
    (Source?? I've had this copied down for ages now and never wrote where it was from)

1/4 cup applesauce
    3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
    1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup applesauce
    4 egg whites, lightly beaten
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 cup oatmeal (quick or old fashioned), uncooked
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
    1 tablespoon powdered sugar

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray bottom only of 13 x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
    2. In large saucepan, heat 1/4 cup applesauce and chocolate over low heat until chocolate is melted, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Stir in granulated sugar and 1/2 cup applesauce until sugar is dissolved. Stir in egg whites and vanilla until completely blended. Add oats, flour, baking powder and salt; mix well. Spread evenly into pan.
    3. Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until edges begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered. Sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving.

I made these brownies this evening to satisfy both my sweet tooth and the letter N requirement! They are pretty good - not as great as regular brownies, of course. I'm not sure that I'd repeat them but I'm looking forward to having one later nonetheless.

Not-So-Sinful Brownies
    (Source?? I've had this copied down for ages now and never wrote where it was from)
    Thanks Reb, glad someone is playing The brownies sound healthful with all that applesauce. Thank you again.

Thanks Reb, glad someone is playing The brownies sound healthful with all that applesauce. Thank you again.
    No, thank you cookieee for hosting the fabulous game as always!

No, thank you cookieee for hosting the fabulous game as always!
    Oh my goodness what a wonderful, sweet, thoughtful, kind thing to say. Thank you

I second (and third and fourth) Rebel Yell's yell, cookieee!

Still not maneuvering well in the kitchen, except to make some low-maintenance (i.e., short time on feet in prep and washup) regulars. Last night, baked salmon cakes: canned salmon, egg, lemon juice, chopped jalapenos, celery seed, and panko. And I baked them on foil, which could be thrown out instead of washed. The night before, ziti baked with chopped tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. Baked in a foil pan, which could have been washed but (blush) was also thrown out. Both accompanied by steamed chopped kale out of a bag from the supermarket.

Most of my other food is spoiling in the fridge.

But I finally managed to get out of the house this morning -- just had to go to Mass!!! ... and also to the library --and picked up 4 oz of ground sirloin to make a hamburger for dinner. I still have some kale in that bag from the supermarket, and some frozen peas in the freezer. (Well, where else, dummy? in the dishwasher?)

Which all gives me an idea ... maybe a category sumpin' like: something nourishing you can make while sick and unable to shop or to spend more than a few minutes in prep and washup without sitting (or falling) down?

Temperature finally normal today. But BP dropped alarmingly while I was out -- and I normally have high BP! When I was much younger and had low BP, whenever my BP got down that low, I would pass out. Come to think of it, I almost did before I got home. Uh-oh.

But I'm finally feeling human again, as long as I'm sitting down, and I'm looking forward to that hamburger tonight. And guess what? I'll have pickle relish with it, because last week's post about pickle relish inspired me to go out and buy some.

Love y'all, CL'ers!

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Phoebe, your back!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, I'm so glad your fever is normal but sorry your BP is acting up.

But it is sooo good to have you and your sense of humor back. Now go and make your list for me, OK?

Which all gives me an idea ... maybe a category sumpin' like: something nourishing you can make while sick and unable to shop or to spend more than a few minutes in prep and washup without sitting (or falling) down?

But I'm finally feeling human again, as long as I'm sitting down, and I'm looking forward to that hamburger tonight. And guess what? I'll have pickle relish with it, because last week's post about pickle relish inspired me to go out and buy some.

Love y'all, CL'ers!

Cheers,
    Phoebe
    me again. Reread your post. There was a lot that I didn't respond to.

First, thank you for 2nd, 3rd,4th Reb's yell.

That is a real good idea for the game. I think we all could use recipes like that. Even if we are not sick

DH made a recipe tonight he thought we could use in the game. He thought it was Southwest. I told him we couldn't use it. It's a turkey burger. I just read the recipe. It is a "Santa Fe Burger". I guess we can use it Will post tomorrow. How did your burger turn out? Did you like it with the relish?

How do you win this game?

Quote Originally Posted by I'm New Here View Post
    All you have to do to "win" is make a recipe and share it.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm New Here View Post
    All you have to do to "win" is make a recipe and share it.
    Actually, everyone here is a winner -- even when they just drop by to say they can't play this week but (a) they'll be back next week and/or (b) they're picking up great ideas from other people's recipes. Welcome to all newcomers!

Rueful cheers,
    The Not-playing-this-week Phoebe

I thought I'd posted my pizza sauce recipe here, but I guess it was on the other thread. I've recently revised it, and was very pleasantly surprised at the number of calories... I will definitely use the fire-roasted tomatoes again, and I forgot the garlic this time, but didn't miss it at all. I can the sauce in pint jars, but it can be frozen, as well. I have a crust recipe that I'd gladly share, as well. When I make a pizza, I use the turkey pepperoni, canned mushrooms and part-skim shredded mozzarella... it comes out to ~300 calories per 1/4 pizza. Yay! I don't have to be afraid to eat (my) pizza, any more!!!

Spicy Pizza Sauce

Serving size = 1/4 pizza

2 Tbsp Penzey's Italian sausage seasoning (a little more)
    1 cup dehydrated minced onion
    2 Tbs minced garlic (I use the jarred kind)
    1.5 cups white wine
    2 6 oz cans tomato paste
    1 Tbs Penzey's Pizza Seasoning
    1 tsp salt
    2 Tbs dried oregano
    3/4 tsp black pepper
    2- 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
    2-14 oz cans Italian seasoned diced tomatoes, liquified with immersion blender (1 can be fire-roasted)
    1 tsp ground red pepper
    1 Tbs balsamic vinegar

1. In a 6-qt pan coated with cooking spray, place the onion, garlic and wine. Add the rest of the ingredients, except the balsamic vinegar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Add the balsamic vinegar and stir.

2. If canning, boil clean jars, lids and rings in the canning kettle while sauce is simmering. Fill jars to within 1" of top, wipe the rims of the jars, place the lids on and the rings, and put back into the still-boiling kettle. Boil for 35 to 40 minutes, then remove jars to counter and wait for them to snap.

Servings: 36

Nutrition Facts
    Nutrition (per serving): 39 calories, 2 calories from fat, <1g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 193.3mg sodium, 250.8mg potassium, 7.6g carbohydrates, 1.6g fiber, 2.1g sugar, 1.3g protein, 1.1 points.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Actually, everyone here is a winner -- even when they just drop by to say they can't play this week but (a) they'll be back next week and/or (b) they're picking up great ideas from other people's recipes. Welcome to all newcomers!

Rueful cheers,
    The Not-playing-this-week Phoebe
    Ah, Phoebe, you said it much better than I did. Hope your still feeling better

Quote Originally Posted by LakeMartinGal View Post
    I thought I'd posted my pizza sauce recipe here, but I guess it was on the other thread. I've recently revised it, and was very pleasantly surprised at the number of calories... I will definitely use the fire-roasted tomatoes again, and I forgot the garlic this time, but didn't miss it at all. I can the sauce in pint jars, but it can be frozen, as well. I have a crust recipe that I'd gladly share, as well. When I make a pizza, I use the turkey pepperoni, canned mushrooms and part-skim shredded mozzarella... it comes out to ~300 calories per 1/4 pizza. Yay! I don't have to be afraid to eat (my) pizza, any more!!!

Spicy Pizza Sauce

Serving size = 1/4 pizza

2 Tbsp Penzey's Italian sausage seasoning (a little more)
    1 cup dehydrated minced onion
    2 Tbs minced garlic (I use the jarred kind)
    1.5 cups white wine
    2 6 oz cans tomato paste
    1 Tbs Penzey's Pizza Seasoning
    1 tsp salt
    2 Tbs dried oregano
    3/4 tsp black pepper
    2- 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
    2-14 oz cans Italian seasoned diced tomatoes, liquified with immersion blender (1 can be fire-roasted)
    1 tsp ground red pepper
    1 Tbs balsamic vinegar

1. In a 6-qt pan coated with cooking spray, place the onion, garlic and wine. Add the rest of the ingredients, except the balsamic vinegar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Add the balsamic vinegar and stir.

2. If canning, boil clean jars, lids and rings in the canning kettle while sauce is simmering. Fill jars to within 1" of top, wipe the rims of the jars, place the lids on and the rings, and put back into the still-boiling kettle. Boil for 35 to 40 minutes, then remove jars to counter and wait for them to snap.

Servings: 36

Nutrition Facts
    Nutrition (per serving): 39 calories, 2 calories from fat, <1g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 193.3mg sodium, 250.8mg potassium, 7.6g carbohydrates, 1.6g fiber, 2.1g sugar, 1.3g protein, 1.1 points.
    I was a little confused at first, but then I remembered I asked you to share your T & T's. Thanks, it does look good. I love making my own sauce. Don't ask for recipe, it's different every time.. Somewhere on here I posted about helping my Italian step-grandfather make his sauce.

Oh my lucky day. I was dreading posting my recipe. I just found it on the Food Network site.

Santa Fe Burger
    4 servings.

"This is one seriously delicious cheeseburger inspired by the flavors of the Southwest, personal favorites of mine. A luscious, gooey queso sauce made with Monterey Jack cheese takes the place of sliced cheese and makes a secure bed for roasted and diced poblano chiles. Blue corn tortilla chips give the burger an unexpectedly perfect touch of salty crunch. The queso sauce would also be wonderful as a dip for chips or fries."

Burgers:
    1 large poblano chile
    2 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 1/2 pounds ground chuck (80 percent lean) or ground turkey (90 percent lean)
    4 hamburger buns, split; toasted, if desired (see below)
    12 blue or yellow corn tortilla chips

Queso Sauce:
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 cups whole milk
    8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, coarsely grated (about 2 cups)
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Put the chile on a rimmed baking sheet, rub with 1 tablespoon of the oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until the skin of the chile is blackened, about 15 minutes. Remove the chile from the oven, place in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let the chile steam for 15 minutes. Peel, stem, and seed the chile and then coarsely chop it.

To make the queso sauce, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Add the milk, increase the heat to high, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cheese until melted; season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.

Divide the meat into 4 equal portions (about 6 ounces each). Form each portion loosely into a 3/4-inch-thick burger and make a deep depression in the center with your thumb. Season both sides of each burger with salt and pepper. Cook the burgers, using the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil.

Place the burgers on the bun bottoms and top each with a few tablespoons of queso sauce, chips, and some of the poblano. Cover with the bun tops and serve immediately.

Toasted Burger Buns

I think the taste and the texture of buns are best when lightly toasted. To toast a bun on a grill, grill pan, or griddle, split the bun open, place it cut side down on the grill, and grill until light golden brown, about 10 seconds. Alternatively, you can place the split bun halves cut side up on a baking sheet and cook them under a preheated broiler until light golden brown, about 30 seconds. Keep a close eye on them and don't let them get too brown or else that texture will take on a life of its own and defeat the purpose of starting with a soft bun.

Source: Food Network - Bobby Flay-"Burgers, Fries & Shakes" also Chili Pepper mag. 5/09

Sorry DH, I did not like this. We used turkey and I thought it was too dry. Also the poblano was too hot for me. But DH really enjoyed it. The chips really made it. Something different.
    Last edited by cookieee; 04-18-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Oh my goodness what a wonderful, sweet, thoughtful, kind thing to say. Thank you
    You're welcome, cookieee! You rock!

Hope that you are feeling better soon!! We miss you!