Although I love coconut, I never really "got" storebought macaroons. Didn't think they had much taste. Didn't love the texture/dryness.
Then I saw this recipe in Parade magazine of all places. I decided to try it since it seemed relatively healthy (just a little flour, some sugar, a little oil, extracts, egg whites, and lots of coconut). made it and loved them! Dense, moist, popping with flavorful. Only change I made was to decrease the chocolate and use dark chocolate.
1 (14-oz) package sweetened flaked coconut
2/3 cup sugar
6 Tbsp flour
1/4 tsp salt
4 egg whites
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 325. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, stir together coconut, sugar, flour, and salt. Add egg whites and extracts. Beat to blend.
3. Form cookies, using about 1 1/2 Tbsp of dough for each, and arrange about 2 inches apart on baking sheet.
4. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until edges are golden and cookies are just set. Do not overbake! Remove to a wire rack to cool.
5. Melt chocolate chips with oil in a small saucepan on low heat. Drizzle over cookies. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
“It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society”.----Krishnamurti